Rams Fall Flat in Opener/JT-PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams fall flat in opener
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6d502baa-2da0-5bf8-be20-b1fa5d4fd0c5.html

It has been nearly seven weeks since the Rams gathered in Earth City for the start of training camp. Over 40-plus days, there were countless hours spent in the meeting room, on the practice field, studying the playbook, getting ready for this moment — the season opener against Minnesota.

And what was the sum of all that preparation Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome?

A 34-6 embarrassment against the Vikings. It matched the worst loss in a home season opener in Rams franchise history. One must go all the way back to the inaugural season of Rams football, 1937, when the franchise was based in Cleveland, to find an opener this bad at home.

That would be coach Hugo Bezdek’s Rams squad, which lost to Detroit 28-0 that day in Cleveland, with the 28-point margin of defeat matched only by Sunday’s disaster.

“We didn’t play very well today,” coach Jeff Fisher said in the understatement of the day. “I wasn’t anticipating that.”

Who was?

One of the most penalized teams in football a year ago, the Rams were in midseason form Sunday, with 13 for 121 yards. They paid so much attention to Adrian Peterson, they forgot about Cordarrelle Patterson.

The get outkicked, outcoached and outclassed by a Minnesota team coming off a 5-10-1 season and breaking in a new head coach in Mike Zimmer.

By the start of the second half, the Rams were down to Austin Davis at quarterback, who was No. 4 on the depth chart for much of the preseason. No disrespect to Davis, but that hardly ever is a good thing.

“This is the exact opposite of our expectations,” guard Rodger Saffold said. “Period, point blank. And the thing that makes it most frustrating is that we had some of the best practices that we’ve ever had the last three days. Nobody was unprepared. Nobody didn’t communicate. Nobody was out there just making mistakes (on purpose).”

Nonetheless, there were a lot of people out there making mistakes.

Working backwards:

• Davis’ pass over the middle with 3 minutes, 18 seconds remaining in the game was intercepted and returned 81 yards for a touchdown by Harrison Smith, giving Minnesota a 34-3 lead. Davis led tight end Jared Cook with his throw; trouble was, Cook slowed down and settled into an opening in the Minnesota coverage.

• Less than five minutes earlier, on fourth and 4 from the St. Louis 42, one of the Rams’ special teams core players — Chase Reynolds — was flagged for roughing the punter.

The resulting first down set the Vikings up at the St. Louis 28, and they were in the end zone three plays later on a 7-yard pass from quarterback Matt Cassel to tight end Kyle Rudolph, who beat free safety Rodney McLeod on the play.

• With the Rams still within striking distance, trailing 13-3 late in the third quarter, Patterson — the second-year wide receiver — lined up in the backfield, took a handoff to his right, cut back to the middle, then zigged and zagged his way 67 yards for a TD.

Five Rams missed tackles on the play, which gave Minnesota a 20-3 lead.

• Near the end of the first half, Rams starting quarterback Shaun Hill threw into double coverage for Cook, only to have Vikes cornerback Josh Robinson make an athletic leaping interception and come down with his feet in-bounds with 1:09 to play.

When savvy veteran Greg Jennings got behind rookie E.J. Gaines in the back right corner of the end zone three plays later for a TD, Minnesota took a 13-0 lead into the locker room at the half.

Before the Hill interception, Fisher said, “This game was taking on the appearance of a 13-10 type of game. ... And then obviously things just slipped away there.”

Or as defensive tackle Michael Brockers put it, it was more like an avalanche.

“Nobody saw this coming,” Brockers said. “It was like a snowball going downfield. It just kept rolling on ...”

Until it crushed the Rams.

That interception turned out to be the last pass of the day for Hill, who started in place of Sam Bradford, who’s out for the year with a knee injury. Davis took over to start the second half after the team announced that Hill had a thigh injury.

Fisher said the injury took place on the series before the interception and stiffened up on Hill. With that in mind, Hill was asked if that had any effect on the throw that resulted in the INT.

“No reason to make any excuses, that’s for sure,” Hill said. “The leg’s a long ways from the head. That’s a play I should’ve done something different.”

Hill said he should’ve thrown the ball away.

Two years ago in St. Louis, Peterson rushed for 212 yards, including runs of 82 and 52 yards. The Rams fared much better this time, holding him to 75 yards and 3.6 yards a carry.

But Patterson killed them with 102 yards on just three carries. Besides that 67-yard touchdown run, a pair of first-quarter “jet” sweeps by Patterson helped set up the game’s initial points, on a pair of Blair Walsh field goals.

“Yeah, I think our focus was on stopping Adrian Peterson, and when you’ve got a guy like that, he’s gonna get most of the attention,” Brockers said. “We just kinda forgot about Patterson, even though he’s a great player. We looked at him (during the week’s preparation). Great speed. Good with the ball. Good vision.”

Then he added, shaking his head, “I don’t know.”

The Rams didn’t have many answers Sunday but must put their frustrations aside and get ready for a Week 2 matchup with Tampa Bay.

“Frustration is putting it lightly,” defensive end Chris Long said. “I know everybody watching it was frustrated. You can multiply that by about 10, 100 — whatever you want to do. That’s how frustrated people are in this locker room.”

No more frustrated than the crowd of 55,919 at the Dome, who have borne the brunt of 10 straight non-winning seasons, who are faced with the prospect of their team being free to relocate after this season and paid hard-earned money to watch Sunday’s non-performance.

Now that’s frustration.

By the end of the game, it was difficult to discern who was louder — the boos from Rams fans or the chants of “Let’s go Vikings!” by Minnesota fans.

“That’s their right (to boo),” Long said. “They paid money for their tickets and they didn’t get their money’s worth. So that’s their prerogative. We’re just gonna come back and work hard.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Strauss: Rams reward fans with huge letdown
• Joe Strauss

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_610cb27a-98d6-5f39-a938-2986fbaf8655.html

To explain what the Rams foisted on their paying public Sunday, take your definition of “bad” and multiply it by 10, maybe 20.

Those into higher mathematics might challenge themselves by multiplying the Rams’ fumbles (four) by their interceptions (two) by their penalty yardage (121). The product (968) would approximate the number of non-purple-wearing diehards who stuck around for the bitter end of the Minnesota Vikings’ 34-6 wipeout of a team only Mayflower could love.

After raising expectations for seven weeks, the Rams went about demolishing every remaining pillar of optimism in a game described as humbling and embarrassing by those in the home locker room.

The Vikings used Mike Zimmer’s debut as head coach as a stage for their most lopsided regular-season victory since January 2009. The Rams absorbed their worst beating since October 2012, when they at least took the depressing act to London.

This wasn’t an international incident. Worse, it was a dose of ineptitude that came with overtones of Linehan and Spagnuolo. The Rams announced 55,919 tickets distributed Sunday. Best of luck enticing the wait-and-see element after this one, which had the locals booing the Rams from the field when the team was down 13-0 at half.

“I’ve been in a lot of crappy football games, and that was one of them,” summarized defensive end Chris Long, here for his seventh season. “I’ve been part of worse, obviously. That doesn’t make it any better.”

Coach Jeff Fisher told his team one week doesn’t define it. However, one week sure as hell better concern it. Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis wouldn’t duck the E-word.

“It is embarrassing,” he said.

The Rams never reached the red zone Sunday. Two weeks after losing quarterback Sam Bradford to a torn knee ligament, they lost veteran backup Shaun Hill for the second half under intriguing circumstances. Hill’s interception with less than two minutes remaining in the first half led to the Vikings’ first touchdown and a two-possession game.

Hill gave way to Austin Davis to open the second half because of what the club labeled a bruised quadriceps. But afterward Hill declined to say when or how he suffered the injury, instead referring all health-related questions to Fisher.

Three times Hill heard a question about the circumstances that took him out of the game. Three times he declined to answer. Who predicted this as the final act of Hill’s first start since 2010?

Hill did allow that he “absolutely” hopes to play next Sunday at Tampa.

Most teams take weeks to create under-performance and quarterback intrigue. The Rams, playing what conceivably could be their last season opener in The 314, achieved both before most of their fans needed a bathroom break.

The Vikings are coming off a 5-10-1 season that cost coach Leslie Frazier his job. They hadn’t won on the road since two days before Christmas 2012. Last year’s defense allowed an average 30 points a game, worst in the league.

Zimmer, a former Mizzou assistant who waited 25 years for an NFL head coaching gig, watched his club hold the Rams to two field goals, the second accounting for the final margin.

Credit the Rams for holding Vikings 2,000-yard rusher Adrian Peterson to 75 yards Sunday. However, they’re still chasing wideout Cordarrelle Patterson, who zagged for 102 yards on two jet sweeps and an off-tackle rush that became a 67-yard touchdown.

“It definitely opened up the game a little bit more than we needed,” observed Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Kudos to the scribe who essentially asked Fisher, “Seven weeks of camp for this?”

Through three quarters the Rams took one snap from inside the Vikings’ 30-yard-line. They opened one drive outside their own 30, two outside their own 25. Not until they trailed 27-3 did the Rams manage a drive of 45 net yards. Two interceptions, a missed field goal and downfield penalty factored in 20 points lost to the home club or scored by the visitors. The six points represented the Rams’ most feeble production at home since Week 7 of the 2009 season, against Chicago.

“We shot ourselves in the foot a lot,” said left tackle Jake Long, the Rams’ only starting interior lineman who avoided a flag. His powder burns came on pass protection.

The Rams made no secret following the loss of Bradford that they would double down on a ground-and-pound offensive philosophy. Such a formula requires a defense to create turnovers and the offense to maintain possession. This team is ill-equipped to overcome double-digit deficits, which made Hill’s interception and Matt Cassell’s touchdown pass to Greg Jennings so painful. The game didn’t turn there. It ended.

The Vikings gained two first downs through penalties, one on a punt. The Rams crippled themselves offensively with eight infractions, three against receivers, including a 15-yard facemask infraction that cut into Brian Quick’s 21-yard reception with the score 6-0. Fisher called it “a killer.”

Problem is, penalties appear part of this team’s DNA.

Absent a dangerous passing game, the Rams merely throw another log on their bonfire with lacking discipline and technique. A team that gains only 318 yards can’t give away 38 percent of that total with penalties.

“I know everybody who watched is frustrated,” said Chris Long. “Multiply it by 10 or 100 and that’s how frustrated people are in this locker room. We’ve got one day to be (ticked) off.”

A team that needs to run the ball averaged 3.3 yards per attempt. A team that needs to keep its passer upright suffered five sacks, four more than its Sack City defense could muster. Wanting to feed Tavon Austin the ball, the best offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer could devise were three handoffs for 5 yards and three targets for 34 more. Wideout Kenny Britt, preseason’s go-to receiver, was not among the eight Rams with a reception.

“This doesn’t define our season but I think it ratchets up the sense of urgency,” Laurinaitis said. “If anyone thought this thing was going to go extremely smoothly ... this is a wake-up call to get back to work. I’m not saying guys didn’t work. But it’s time to be humble and let that override anything expectation-wise. It’s a terrible feeling right now.”

For a franchise coming off seven consecutive losing seasons and in search of its first winning record since 2003, it’s an inexplicable lesson to receive on Week 1.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Notebook: C. Long, Hill head Rams' injury list
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8ef30dad-d408-5c21-949f-55021ffa6773.html

Two of the Rams’ team captains, quarterback Shaun Hill and defensive end Chris Long, suffered injuries that ended their afternoons. Of the two, Long’s appeared to be the most serious.

Long went down with an ankle injury with just under 10 minutes to go in the third quarter, defending on a sweep by Adrian Peterson that gained 16 yards.

Long watched the end of the game from the sideline after walking off under his own power with a slight limp. He was wearing a brace on his left ankle after the game and seemed concerned.

“I don’t want to talk much about it,” he said. “We’ll know more pretty soon.”

Long is about as durable as they come: He has not missed a game since entering the league in 2008. Sunday marked his 97th consecutive game played in the regular season, the third-longest ironman streak among active players in the NFL.

Hill, making his first regular-season start since 2010, didn’t return to the game after completing eight of 13 passes for 81 yards in the first half. He threw a costly interception just before the half that the Vikings converted into a touchdown and a 13-0 lead.

It was announced early in the third quarter that he had a thigh injury. Hill wasn’t limping afterward and didn’t have any ice on the thigh. He also had little to say about the injury.

“I’m gonna leave all comments about the injury up to Coach (Jeff) Fisher,” Hill said. “I’m gonna let him handle all that.”

Hill wouldn’t even offer any information on how the injury occurred.

“Like I said, I’m gonna let Coach Fisher handle any of that.”

When asked about the possibility of playing this coming Sunday at Tampa Bay, Hill’s answer was immediate: “Absolutely. I mean, that’s my goal.”

Saffold, too

Starting left guard Rodger Saffold left with 3½ minutes to go in the game with what was described as a neck injury. But Saffold was quick to point out postgame that he was fine and lobbied to go back into the game.

“It’s a league deal,” Saffold said, referring to league policy on head and neck injuries. “I begged to stay. But there’s nothing that you can do once you come out. I tried to tell them that I didn’t want to come back here (to the locker room) — period.

“And then you have to do certain tests. But I’m completely fine. They’re not gonna do anything with me. So come Tuesday I’ll be ready to go.”

Once Saffold left, rookie Greg Robinson came out as his replacement, getting his first NFL snaps to close out the game.

WR penalties

Rams wide receivers were flagged twice for offensive pass interference Sunday. In addition, Brian Quick had most of a 21-yard gain negated for grabbing the facemask of Minnesota cornerback Captain Munnerlyn.

“My finger got caught in it (Munnerlyn’s facemask), and I’m not supposed to do that,” Quick said. “So I got penalized for it. I’ve got big hands. I just need to lower my hand placement and don’t get any penalties because it can cost us.”

Sitting it Out

Two of the Rams’ 2014 draft picks were on the pregame inactive list: third-round pick RB Tre Mason and fourth-round pick S Maurice Alexander. With Robinson not starting, three of the Rams’ top five draft picks were either on the bench or in street clothes when the game started.

Also sitting for the Rams were CB Trumaine Johnson (knee), C-G Barrett Jones (back), TE Alex Bayer, DL Ethan Westbrooks and QB Case Keenum.

Ram-blings

Quick established career highs for catches (seven) and reception yards (99).

• Greg Zuerlein’s 56-yard field goal late in the fourth quarter tied for the fourth longest in team history.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It was announced early in the third quarter that he had a thigh injury. Hill wasn’t limping afterward and didn’t have any ice on the thigh. He also had little to say about the injury.

“I’m gonna leave all comments about the injury up to Coach (Jeff) Fisher,” Hill said. “I’m gonna let him handle all that.”

Hill wouldn’t even offer any information on how the injury occurred.

“Like I said, I’m gonna let Coach Fisher handle any of that.”
Translation:

flynn.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I thought someone posted that they saw Shaun Hill leaving the dome and he was limping rather badly...

Oh, and always kudos to any Breaking Bad gif...