Rams expect Gurley to miss first couple games of season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Fixed.....:shades:

Fixed yours too plant...;)

Took the words outta my mouth....;):sneaky:

Surprised to find all the Pead doubters.....And I like Benny, but obviously Fisher wants more...Snead wants more outta the RB position....and now I want more....

When do you guys wanna see Todd G? I still think we need him week one...Foles definitely needs the running game to help him....

Edit:
Just found this...

http://ramblinfan.com/2015/08/13/sources-confirm-todd-gurley-to-miss-start-of-regular-season/

todd-gurley-nfl-st.-louis-rams-training-camp-850x560.jpg

Aug 1, 2015; Earth City, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley (30) runs with the ball at Rams Park. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Sources confirm Todd Gurley to miss start of regular season
by Michael Condon 1h ago

News broke yesterday that many Rams fans expected. Rookie running back Todd Gurley is expected to miss the “first couple games” of the 2015 regular season. Earlier in the week, Arch Authority reported the news that Gurley had been ruled out for the entirety of the preseason, so this won’t come as a shock to many.

NFL insider, Ian Rapoport, and Dan Hanzus of NFL.com, report that Gurley is about 90% back from a torn ACL suffered while still with the University of Georgia about nine months ago. Rapoport also reported that the team is extremely excited to see Gurley in action once he returns to the field. He reiterated that this was not a setback, but that the team and Gurley were simply taking things slow and following the recovery timeline.

Gurley spoke about his recovery on Sirius XM on Tuesday. Gurley was optimistic in the interview and was focusing on the future rather than these first few weeks of year one.

“Right now, we’re not pushing anything,” Gurley said. “It’s kind of taking it day-by-day and week-by-week. Whether it’s Week 5 or Week 1, 10 years from now nobody is going to remember what you did the first five games. You’ve just got to take it easy.”

Gurley has been a participant in camp since day one, which was a victory in itself as it was reported that he would start camp on the NFI list. He has participated in individual drills with a concentration on speed and short stops.

Gurley was drafted with the tenth overall selection in this spring’s NFL draft. The Rams surprised many analysts and fans alike with the selection. Many thought they would address the teams glaring need at more than one position along the offensive line. However, Gurley was too good to pass up and they will look to him to be the focal point of a new run-first offense in the years to come. Patience is a virtue and fans will need to show just a bit more because this back is worth the wait.

It's hard to say. I want him week one as well. But it depends how Mason is doing. If he's tearing it up and we're winning games, I'm cool with waiting a little longer for Todd.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's hard to say. I want him week one as well. But it depends how Mason is doing. If he's tearing it up and we're winning games, I'm cool with waiting a little longer for Todd.
I've officially decided to name him "The Todd".
image.jpg

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Gurley with fresh legs by midseason will help push us into the playoffs.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm excited about the possibilities for week 3 -- already a huge home game, but imagine the storyline of Pitt gets back L.Bell and the Rams debut Gurley!

A55VA6

Legend
FUCK. Our season is over.

lol we'll be just fine. I have a feeling Gurley will end up playing like week 2 or 3.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
3 lost fumbles in 2 years isn't really the end of the world, though. Cunningham last year was a really good 3rd down back for us (8th most receptions for a RB in the NFL, despite not being a starter) and the best kick returner we've had in a while (27.5 YPR, good for 5th in the NFL).
This!

Pead in 3 years has given us next to absolutely nothing. Some people say they don't understand his doubters, I say I have no idea where all this support is coming from.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I'll enjoy watching is Tre Mason's performance with the new Oline, so that we can isolate (somewhat), the Oline's performance when Gurley comes in and gets 250 yards and 3 TD's in Week 3.:popcorn:

FRO

Legend
Fixed.....:shades:

Fixed yours too plant...;)

Took the words outta my mouth....;):sneaky:

Surprised to find all the Pead doubters.....And I like Benny, but obviously Fisher wants more...Snead wants more outta the RB position....and now I want more....

When do you guys wanna see Todd G? I still think we need him week one...Foles definitely needs the running game to help him....

Edit:
Just found this...

http://ramblinfan.com/2015/08/13/sources-confirm-todd-gurley-to-miss-start-of-regular-season/

todd-gurley-nfl-st.-louis-rams-training-camp-850x560.jpg

Aug 1, 2015; Earth City, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley (30) runs with the ball at Rams Park. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Sources confirm Todd Gurley to miss start of regular season
by Michael Condon 1h ago

News broke yesterday that many Rams fans expected. Rookie running back Todd Gurley is expected to miss the “first couple games” of the 2015 regular season. Earlier in the week, Arch Authority reported the news that Gurley had been ruled out for the entirety of the preseason, so this won’t come as a shock to many.

NFL insider, Ian Rapoport, and Dan Hanzus of NFL.com, report that Gurley is about 90% back from a torn ACL suffered while still with the University of Georgia about nine months ago. Rapoport also reported that the team is extremely excited to see Gurley in action once he returns to the field. He reiterated that this was not a setback, but that the team and Gurley were simply taking things slow and following the recovery timeline.

Gurley spoke about his recovery on Sirius XM on Tuesday. Gurley was optimistic in the interview and was focusing on the future rather than these first few weeks of year one.

“Right now, we’re not pushing anything,” Gurley said. “It’s kind of taking it day-by-day and week-by-week. Whether it’s Week 5 or Week 1, 10 years from now nobody is going to remember what you did the first five games. You’ve just got to take it easy.”

Gurley has been a participant in camp since day one, which was a victory in itself as it was reported that he would start camp on the NFI list. He has participated in individual drills with a concentration on speed and short stops.

Gurley was drafted with the tenth overall selection in this spring’s NFL draft. The Rams surprised many analysts and fans alike with the selection. Many thought they would address the teams glaring need at more than one position along the offensive line. However, Gurley was too good to pass up and they will look to him to be the focal point of a new run-first offense in the years to come. Patience is a virtue and fans will need to show just a bit more because this back is worth the wait.
Pead has shown nothing as far as being a RB. His impact will be the same as Chase Reynolds, all on special teams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pead has shown nothing as far as being a RB. His impact will be the same as Chase Reynolds, all on special teams.
Ah, we shall see...I believe they said the same about Justin Forrsett in Baltimore...
Off topic, I think Cal has another beast at RB this year too...

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Don't shoot me but I'm gonna wait till ALL 4 pre-season games are over and we are not scared or hiding somewhere afraid to post and most of ALL NO INJURIES!!!! We need everyone healthy and gelling on the OL and back 7 on "D" . You tell me we start healthy and C. Long is ready to go thru the playoffs and I will be hard to shut up. I know asking for our final center to just blend in and not be a weakness is asking for the cherry on top. GO RAMS!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Can't wait to see him on the field, but I'm in no rush, either. Come back when your healthy, young Ram.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still in no rush to get Todd Gurley in games
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-still-in-no-rush-to-get-todd-gurley-in-games

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At this point, nobody seems to know for sure when St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley will play in his first NFL game, preseason or otherwise.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has already made it pretty clear that Gurley, who is still working his way back from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament, won't be doing much, if anything, in games during the exhibition season. He certainly won't be playing in Friday night's preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders.

"He's still a ways away," Fisher said. "He's making progress. But again, as we talked about a few days ago, our decision not to PUP him was to be able to get him the individual reps and to build his reps and get him on the practice field. Now in his case as a running back, practice reps, to me, would suffice. But it's the number of reps and where he is and then we'll make that decision as to when we play him.”

For the time being, Gurley is still working strictly in individual drills. That lasts for about 15 to 20 minutes in each practice before Gurley's work with the team is done. From there, he can regularly be seen running on the side under the supervision of the team's athletic trainers.

During those sessions, it can be hard to tell that Gurley is even coming off an injury. He's looked strong and quick and is even moving laterally and catching passes after practice, too.

Like any running back, Gurley needs to take contact before being ready to go full speed, but the plan for now seems to be on having him use the early part of the season to work his way back into the mix. In other words, even if Gurley gets to play in the first few weeks -- and he could -- he won't be prepared to take on a full workload.

“This is going to be a process," Fisher said. "It's not going to be a day-to-day thing. We are looking at this long-term process right now. By that when I say long term, I'm talking about let's just go week to week and go through the preseason and we'll see where we are when the season starts. But yeah, he's not had any setbacks and he's getting walk-through reps. He's participating in individual. He's doing all the meetings and he's doing fine. If you would make it be his choice he would be out there right now. To a certain extent we kind of have to hold him back just to protect him.”

Before Gurley or the Rams can worry about getting him in games, he must first start participating in team drills in practice. All of which is to say that there's still no definitive timetable on when Gurley might return.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We have Mason and Cunningham, both very good capable backs. Absolutely no need to rush Gurley. The selection of Gurley wasn't about 2015, it was about getting a back with face of the league type talent.

Well said, ease him into the line up in Oct.. Then in Dec unleash him onto the NFL!!!! :sneaky:

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I hope his knee is not worse than originally feared. The Rams said he was 90% weeks ago...:(

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Gurley with fresh legs by midseason will help push us into the playoffs.
Man, I can't wait to see this!!! elite rb really gets me jacked paired w/ really good D!!! well said!

I hope his knee is not worse than originally feared. The Rams said he was 90% weeks ago...:(
its not the ACL at this time as its strengthen the other leg muscles around his ACL now. Thats where he's at

jjab360

Legend
Considering what we just went through with Sam, it seems like just extra precaution. I see no reason to rush it seeing as this is a long term investment and a setback now just because we got impatient could have long term consequences.