Rams 'expect a lot better' from Jamil Demby than how he's played

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13225738.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 9 hours ago

Jamil Demby’s tenure with the Los Angeles Rams has been a rollercoaster ride. He was drafted sixth round last year and projected as a developmental prospect with the tools to become a future starter. His versatility made him an intriguing player, which is part of the reason it came as such a surprise when the Rams cut him last September.
He was scooped up by the Lions and stashed on the practice squad, until the Rams poached him and brought him back to L.A. He’s now fighting for a roster spot in 2019 and his chances are slimming by the day.

Demby has struggled mightily, particularly when lining up at center this preseason. His performance against the Cowboys on Saturday night was one to forget. Even Sean McVay expects more from Demby than what he’s put on tape thus far.
“I think it stresses those guys,” McVay said Tuesday of cross-training offensive linemen at multiple spots. “I think you see it, it ends up being difficult but I think over the long haul, this isn’t just to see how they perform this one game. This is to try to develop an understanding from a big-picture standpoint, that enables you to have some versatility whether it be playing both guard spots, that center. The more that you can do, especially when you’re trying to fight to make a name and find a role for yourself, the better you have a chance of being on the 53 and having yourself potentially active on game day.

“Jamil is another guy that I think we expect a lot better from him than that, especially when he is playing that center spot. Those are things that we know by design stress those guys and that is kind of the approach.”
The backup offensive line as a whole has performed poorly this preseason. David Edwards improved from Week 1 to 2, but Bobby Evans has played every snap and really struggled at both guard and tackle.
Demby isn’t the only one playing below expectations, but that doesn’t mean he’s moving any closer to the 53-man roster. He still has to step his game up if he wants to be around on Sept. 1.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
6 Rams players on roster bubble who must shine vs. Broncos

By: Cameron DaSilva | 9 hours ago
usatsi_13226930.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Time is winding for players on the roster bubble to impress Rams coaches before final cuts are made, as just two preseason games remain. Next, Los Angeles will take on the Denver Broncos at home on Saturday night.

The third preseason game is often viewed as the dress rehearsal, but with the Rams’ conservative approach to the preseason, it’ll be backups getting almost all of the playing time.
Here are six players on the roster bubble who need to stand out against the Broncos.

OL Jamil Demby
usatsi_13225738.jpg

Demby has quickly fallen out of favor in L.A., seeing his stock slip in the last two weeks. He was a liability on the offensive line Saturday against Dallas, allowing consistent pressure up the middle while playing guard and center.
The Rams could use some help on the interior with Aaron Neary facing a suspension to start the year, but Demby hasn’t looked good this preseason. If he doesn’t turn it around in the next two preseason games, he could suffer the same fate as last year when he was cut before the season began.

WR JoJo Natson
gettyimages-1067697608.jpg

(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Natson is in a battle with Nsimba Webster and others as the top returner on the team, but his muffed punt in the first game of the preseason did him no favors. A bounce-back in Week 2 – which featured a touchdown reception – helped a bit, but he remains on the roster bubble.

In order to make the 53-man roster, he has to show more as a punt returner than he does as a wide receiver. Catching passes is just an added bonus, given the Rams’ depth at wide receiver. Natson must separate from Webster in order to make the team and have a significant role on special teams.

DT Tanzel Smart
usatsi_10900534.jpg

Smart only played 18 snaps against the Cowboys, which is actually a good sign for his status with the team. However, the Rams already have a stud defensive tackle in Aaron Donald and two players competing for starting reps at nose tackle (Greg Gaines and Sebastian Joseph-Day). Smart has a decent chance to make the final roster, but he has to stand out more than he has.

He missed a tackle that led to Tony Pollard’s touchdown run on Saturday night, which wasn’t a good look for him. Smart’s versatility at nose tackle and 3-technique is an added benefit, but will it be enough to keep him around?

S Steven Parker
usatsi_13189535.jpg

Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Parker has been a bright spot on defense this preseason, but two strong games may not be enough to earn him a roster spot. He has to continue that solid play in order to make the team. Nick Scott is his top competition at safety, though Scott has the advantage of being a 2019 draft pick and a special teams stud.

It’s highly unlikely the Rams will keep six safeties, so the clock is ticking for Parker. A standout performance against the Broncos would go a long way toward elevating Parker’s standing with the coaches.

CB Dont’e Deayon
usatsi_12879738.jpg

Like Parker, Deayon has played well this preseason. He had an interception against Dallas, as well as a strong tackle for loss – a perfect read on a screen pass to a wideout. There may not be a more heated competition on the roster than the one brewing at cornerback with Kevin Peterson, Darious Williams and Dominique Hatfield also in the mix.

Deayon has NFL experience after playing parts of two seasons with the Giants, but he has some ways to go before he makes the 53-man roster. The roster bubble is not a place he wants to be, but it’s where he finds himself and a host of other corners.

OLB Landis Durham
usatsi_12829613.jpg

Durham leads the team with two sacks this preseason, adding in nine total tackles, as well. He’s been a productive player through two weeks and looks like he has the ability to contribute in the NFL, but the coaches will need to see he him put up these numbers consistently.

Durham hasn’t been helped by Ogbonnia Okoronkwo’s emergence or Josh Carraway’s impressive preseason, but Justin Lawler and Trevon Young are both banged up. That could open the door for Durham to sneak onto the regular-season roster as a pass rusher.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Deayon and Durham remain interesting for me.

In agreement about Natson. I really like him, and Cooper before him.
However, Webster has done well and seems to have that hunger and competiveness.

oldnotdead

Legend
There is no question that Demby has struggled but it raises the question is there anyone else behind him that can play OG/C? Looking at the roster the only player that stands out is Brandon Hitner. My only concern with Brandon is his height. Interior linemen tend to be between 6'3" and 6'5" because playing the interior the lineman needs to keep his pads down for leverage purposes, i.e. not to give it up and to gain it. Hitner is 6'6" and the one inch might not seem like much but it can be for some players.

It remains to be seen if he can play inside, but he definitely has the intelligence you look for in a center as well. He struggled in pass protection outside in college, showing poor technique and poor footwork. He has long arms you want for an interior lineman giving him a good play radius. Also, if he is a bit slow-footed, it will be less impactful inside.

If the Rams decide to move on from Demby it will be interesting if they give Hitner snaps with the second unit this coming game. Brewer might be in the mix but he really is inconsistent with his footwork, something that plagued him in college. Watching film of him it appears he plays with heavy feet and blocks he made in college would be flagged in the NFL because of it. That's why I think Hitner might be their next option at OG, though Brewer is in that mix.

He's played about 20% or so of the snaps this preseason but almost all at OT which might indicate he hasn't looked well at OG. Kolone has struggled as much as Demby and was replaced by Brewer against Dallas.

I think a lot will tell by who plays early along the o-line against Denver.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the pieces we have, but how it shakes out feels a little cloudier than I was expecting at this point.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As to this point I have to trust the process, but against the Broncos and that defensive line, Blake Bortles might not make it through one series.

Neary has been okay, but gone for the four games and I was a Demby supporter, but he's struggled in every capacity and the Rams might have to make a trade for veteran C/G, was hoping for Ryan Groh, however, he signed with the Saints and I don't see that trade happening.

I'm not sure anyone will be cut, who you would want to bring in, but the Rams are deep at CB and you could see one of them dealt to a team deeper on the offensive line.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Deayon has played well. The one thing that bugs the hell out of me with DB's is they draw flags because they don't turn their head around and look for the ball. Deayon is one of the best at it among all the Rams DB's. He gets in good position and gets his head around and tracks the ball. That's how good DB's get INT's and not get PI's..

The back up OL is going to have their hands full with the Broncos D. If Waldren is calling plays he better have Bortles rolling out. Demby and Evans have not shown they are worthy of being backups.

With another poor showing by the back up OL, I fully expect the Rams to sign a vet come cutdouwn time. They have no one reliable off the bench.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
I still think Evans will be a good OG, but he's never played inside and at the NFL level it's hard for guys that have played OG all along. Then Kromer has been moving guys all over the place so as a rookie how can you expect much from them.

Trust me, the NFL is technique heavy and it takes time to develop physically and technique-wise.
I think if Neary hadn't fallen off his wagon he would be a shoo-in to make the team as a backup OG/C.
But his DUI is worrisome. That kind of thing means its a problem he's had for a while and may always be subject to falling off that wagon. You don't give contracts to guys like that. What they might do is see how things are after 4 games and sign him for this season only as a place-holder.

But they have Hitner, Brewer, Kasky and Hrynkiewicz that they might look hard at this 3rd and 4th game. But only Hrynkiewicz is a true OG/C while the others are college OT's converting to OG. I really doubt they look outside of the roster at this point. Kromer simply needs to allow these guys to focus upon playing OG and quit bouncing them all over the place. If you need a OG then allow them to simply focus on playing OG. Each position has it's own unique technique. They need to get comfortable as OG's. They know how to play OT, so let them learn how to play OG. They have 2 games left to find out who that backup OG is going to be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Deayon has played well. The one thing that bugs the hell out of me with DB's is they draw flags because they don't turn their head around and look for the ball. Deayon is one of the best at it among all the Rams DB's. He gets in good position and gets his head around and tracks the ball. That's how good DB's get INT's and not get PI's..
Yeah and that is going to be even more important with teams being able to fish for PIs. That and too much contact (I'd steer clear of DBs who have a tendency to grab and pull too). Has to be something the teams around the league are focusing and coaching hard this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850579-the-top-player-each-nfl-team-should-cut-before-the-2019-season#slide17

Top Player Rams Should Cut Before the 2019 Season

OL Jamil Demby
Kristopher Knox August 24, 2019

Last year, the Los Angeles Rams used a sixth-round pick on Maine offensive lineman Jamil Demby. Then they cut him at the start of the regular season. They've since signed him off the Lions' practice squad and thrust him into the competition along the interior line—which has a large hole after the departure Rodger Saffold in free agency.

Demby has struggled at both guard and at center, and he could once again be part of Los Angeles' preseason cuts.

"Jamil is another guy that I think we expect a lot better from him than that, especially when he is playing that center spot," head coach Sean McVay said, per Cameron DaSilva of Rams Wire.

Teams often keep eight or nine offensive linemen on their active rosters, and the ability to play both guard and center usually goes a long way toward landing a spot. Heading into camp, it seemed like Demby had a good chance of sticking his second time around.

However, if the Rams are disappointed with how he's performed through camp and the preseason, they should probably cut ties once again and look for line depth they're more confident in.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Man, I think it will be interesting and until Neary gets back, we'll probably dress Edwards and Demby on game days. (I think the Rams only dress 7 usually, can anyone confirm?) If Demby doesn't show marked improvement in his snapping, I could see it being Edwards and Neary dressed when he returns as you just absolutely need that guy who can back up at center.

I guess you could have Blythe slide over but I'd heard nothing of him snapping all camp and I'm sure he'd be pretty rusty.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I take Durham over Carraway. More size and upside. Carraway just looks "narrow" in his build and I don't see him playing the run well at all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Man, I think it will be interesting and until Neary gets back, we'll probably dress Edwards and Demby on game days.
I don't think Demby is gonna make this roster. He doesn't factor in the OT depth (liability on either edge) and he's probably behind many of the other young guys on the interior. I mean I'd rather play Hrink at Center than him and at OG you're probably better off with Kolone or Brewer.

These bottom roster guys are fighting for one long-term roster spot and one short-term while Neary is suspended. It's very hard for me to see Demby making the cut.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't think Demby is gonna make this roster. He doesn't factor in the OT depth (liability on either edge) and he's probably behind many of the other young guys on the interior. I mean I'd rather play Hrink at Center than him and at OG you're probably better off with Kolone or Brewer.

These bottom roster guys are fighting for one long-term roster spot and one short-term while Neary is suspended. It's very hard for me to see Demby making the cut.

Yeah, I mean, we've got two more preseason games and we'll really get a long look at Oline. I'm sure it will come down to the wire there.

oldnotdead

Legend
Sorry guys, Demby saved his place tonight. Of course people will point to the pressure he supposedly gave up but if you look at the play, that's not on Demby it's on Neary. On a play like that Neary is supposed to take the handoff from Demby was wandering off somewhere looking for a fix or drink I think.

His other pressure came while he was playing LT.....which hs clearly isn't and never will be.

He played LG and RT pretty well overall. Kolone sucks, but Brewer played at RG and had his moments.
Evan's struggled more than Demby, when he played RT & RG. Edwards played a few snaps at OG and had his moments. He was better at OT.

Next week it will be about guys that will be on the PS. In that regard I see Brewer making the PS. All the backup guys are going to be works in progress this year that's just how it's going to be this year.,

Name
Coleman
David Edwards, the Havenstein Wisconsin Badger clone seems to be the strongest of our backup Olinemen….and he was the last one taken in the 5th Round!! Nice steal Mr. Snead!!!:cool:
Bobby Evans is not going to be a NFL OT IMHO.....better get Evans stouter for his NFL OG career street-fighting in the phone booth!
Demby has been an enigma to me this year. Last season he looked like a real keeper......now, not so much.
Neary I never liked, even before he got liquored up and smashed into a bunch of mailboxes with his vehicle.
Brewer, the young 21 year old cancer survivor from Middle Tennessee State is a nice story and I hope he has the chops for the NFL OLine grind.

oldnotdead

Legend
Evan's isn't an OT at this level. That much is obvious. But in reality I doubt that the Rams drafted him to play OT. He's got the build of an OG and I think that is ultimately where he will play. He's being asked to play a position he's never played. Then instead of allowing him to simply acclimate and learn the position, he's constantly bounced around. I think both Demby and Evans are victims of exactly what I've been saying is the flaw in Kromer's style of coaching. Both Demby and Evans were OT's in college, but have always projected as OG's in the NFL. This constant moving around is IMO retarding their development overall. I say let them learn one position and master its techniques while building their bodies up and strengthening, before transitioning to a second position.

I understand the need to have positional flexibility, but it comes at a price when you are dealing with rookies. The NFL is all about technique. Technique can hide flaws in a player's game, or elevate him from good to great. I've known a number of former NFL players and the one thing in common was the need for improved technique when entering the NFL regardless of position. But they all said the o-line is all about technique. So Kromer is expecting rookies to absorb multiple techniques before they have mastered even one. That is asking a lot and it's why you see these young guys struggling so badly.

I'm not saying it can't work because obviously, it has. But when you are dealing with rookies and young inexperienced players it's a process that will take time for them to master. Edwards has looked better than Demby and Evans simply because unlike them he's basically played most of his snaps only at OT. Why then is Kromer not allowing Demby and Evans to focus upon being OG's when that is where they are going to be playing? Chandler Brewer has always been a OG so playing OG in the NFL allows him to focus upon one basic technique. It's why he has looked better than Demby or Evans.

IMO Brewer will probably be cross-trained at Center next year which IMO is a natural transition. He is a prime candidate for the PS this year. So I think it's premature to pass judgment on some of these guys.

oldnotdead

Legend
Oh and one additional thought. They are only going to dress 7 o-line for each game so one of the 8 will be inactive. That obviously will be Evans, giving him time to strengthen and improve. Edwards will be their swing OT and Demby their reserve OG/C on game days.

TexasRam

Legend
Oh and one additional thought. They are only going to dress 7 o-line for each game so one of the 8 will be inactive. That obviously will be Evans, giving him time to strengthen and improve. Edwards will be their swing OT and Demby their reserve OG/C on game days.

It's looking that way. And God help us all if starter goes down because Demby and Edwards are only marginally serviceable backups.

If we don't go out and get a FA lineman we are asking for big-time trouble. I've seen it a million times.

oldnotdead

Legend
They look marginal now but give them time. They will continue to practice their techniques during the season. I would expect them to look much better coming out of the bye week.

I've also seen it where going out and buying someone's castoff is paying for nothing. There are reasons they are available at this time. They might also keep Brewer and perhaps other roster cuts on the PS. So it's no reason to panic or worry about something that might be nothing at all. They all looked better this week. Let's see how they do Thursday.

Give the guys some slack. Demby has never played center and Evans has never played OG. If you want to blame someone blame Kromer for his insistence they learn everything at once. Edwards looked good because he hasn't been put through that. His play at OG has been minor and short.

I mean can you give me a good reason to put Demby at LT? If you were going to move Demby then why not to RG and or Center. But they played him at LG, RT and LT. That to me says they are keeping him and expecting him to play all o-line positions. Name one good player who has done that? Two yes, but all 5? That makes no sense since they have Edwards to play both OT positions. Demby needs snaps at both OG and as center. Why waste snaps at LT and RT when everyone knows Edwards will be the backup for them?