Rams envision Isaiah Pead as future feature back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Vinnie Iyer
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... en-jackson

Going into the 2012 NFL Draft, Isaiah Pead was considered a late riser and hot sleeper among the running back prospects. Now that he has joined the St. Louis Rams as a second-round pick, No. 50 overall, Pead is being tabbed for a featured role in the near future.

The Rams are looking at Pead as more than just a complement to 6-2, 240-pound Steven Jackson, [hil]ESPN reports[/hil]. Given Jackson turns 29 in July and carried a big load over his eight seasons and two-time All-Pro career, Rams officials were expected to bring fresh legs.

Enter Pead, who is 5-10, 197 pounds and whose best assets are speed and quickness.

In addition to being a potential big-play threat in the rushing attack, Pead has skills as a receiver to offer the Rams an intriguing safety valve for quarterback Sam Bradford.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has been versatile in his philosophy about what kind of back can thrive in getting 20-25 touches for his offense. With the Tennessee Titans, Fisher got to Super Bowl XXXIV against the Rams with 6-3, 240-pound Eddie George. Then Fisher got a 2,006-yard rushing season from 5-11, 191-pound speedster Chris Johnson in 2009.

Jackson is due $7 million in each of the next two seasons before becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2014. If Pead shows enough flashes in splitting work with Jackson in the short term, it won't be long before Fisher turns over the Rams' running game to him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's twice I've seen this story, and once it was reported by PFT, and the other it was reported by ESPN. Not once have I seen the RAMS say anything like it. I mean, obviously Pead COULD be the eventual replacement, but the only thing I've seen out of Fisher was his saying "he's just the change-of-pace back Steven Jackson needs."

Speeps

Starter
I like Pead. Will he be the eventual successor to SJ39? It's too early to tell, but there a bunch of players with his size and skill set excelling in the league right now. I'm going to like this two-headed machine in our backfield this season.

Last season we couldn't execute a screen to save our life, this year, with Pead, I don't think that will be an issue.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
His parents must have a sick sense of humor, naming their kid, I. Pead.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm excited about Pead too but ALL these writers trying to stir up shit about SJ can eat the corn out of my shit!!!!

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
The end of the line for SJ39 is still many miles away!!
Bank it.

GO RAMS!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
rickrawk said:
The end of the line for SJ39 is still many miles away!!
Bank it.

GO RAMS!!!!
Agree. He shows no signs of slowing down yet. Last year he had a fluke injury, and it wasn't at all attributed to a lack of conditioning, because I think Karen Carpenter had more body fat than Jackson does now. Think about it like this. Thurman Thomas and LaDanian Tomlinson each have 1000 yard rushing seasons 8 consecutive years, and that's good enough for 4th all-time. Jackson has 7 in a row, and if he has any say in it, he'll make it 8 this year too. Considering the teams he's played on recently, I'd say that's quite a feat. And the fact that he's not beaten down like a rented mule right now is nothing short of amazing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
SJ has taken his conditioning to technologies edges. I mean come on, sleeping with O2 and going through hot tub/ice soak therapy so your body regenerates quicker and all of that just at his house. He's so deserving of a 12 to 15 year career with a championship and a HOF induction to hang on his mantle.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
SJ had back surgery two? years ago maybe three, at that time I predicted he was on his way out.

It's a slow process but once the nerve impulses start being impeeded the legs just fade away. His conditioning can keep the degenerationat bay to some degree ,but a "a dragon lives for ever,noy so little boys" .SOOO I think the Rams ARE seeing the end for SJ as being inevitable and IMO if we had gotten the chance to draft TR,it would have happened.

ALL THAT SAID, IMO the reports by the media are IMO self generated unsourced media feeding frenzy and it's JUST ONE MORE instance of the irresponsible nature of the press , they will continue to report things even after they have been dispelled.

I don't believe Pead was drafted to replace Jackson,I believe he was drafted to extend the career of the closest thing to a dragon in shoulder pads I've seen in a long long time.I believe he is expected to be just what Fisher said he was and we will be drafting a hammer with one of the 4 first round picks we have over the next two years. He is here to replace the worn out retreads we've been signing as one year stop gaps as was the kid we drafted at the end.

The writer conveniently forgets to mention LenDale White ,Reggie Bush' backfield mate who Fisher also drafted to be the hammer of which I speak and SJ does quite nicely at now.
I think we will always have two distinctly different backs like Pead and Jackson, IMO SF is doing the same thing with LaMicheal James and Frank Gore.
If I were looking for Jackson's replacement I'd be looking at guys still in college.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
That's twice I've seen this story, and once it was reported by PFT, and the other it was reported by ESPN. Not once have I seen the RAMS say anything like it. I mean, obviously Pead COULD be the eventual replacement, but the only thing I've seen out of Fisher was his saying "he's just the change-of-pace back Steven Jackson needs."

Yeah - This is so obviously reporters extrapolating. There is no way they would get anyone actually with the Rams to say something that premature even if they were thinking that way. They need SJ to be a mentor unlike the way Marshall was with him. Why instantly create unrest with your best offensive player at this stage in the game?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A "Puff The Magic Dragon" reference...

and it didn't come from me.

Still dropping the hammer I see Thor. Good stuff