Rams' Drafts Under Snead/Mcvay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MauiRam

Rookie
2017 Draft: Six players out of eight are still with the Rams.

2018 Draft: All eleven players drafted in 2018 are still listed on the Rams’ roster in 2019.

We didn't exactly stink either after gaining a berth in the SuperBowl. All this was accomplished without any first round picks, and only 2 picks in the second round out of three drafts overall.

I can’t help but wonder how many of our 2019 picks will stick this year. I don't know if this is some sort of record, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how many and which guys will stick from our 2019 class? My picks are in blue .. Thoughts?

2017 - LOS ANGELES RAMS:

2 44 Gerald Everett TE South Alabama

3 69 Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

3 91 John Johnson SAF Boston College

4 117 Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M

4 125 Samson Ebuka LB Eastern Washington

6 189 Tanzel Smart DT Tulane

6 206 Sam Rogers FB Virginia Tech

7 234 Ejuan Price LB Pittsburgh

2018 - LOS ANGELES RAMS:

3 89 Joe Noteboom T Texas Christian

4 111 Brian Allen C Michigan State

4 135 John Franklin-Myers DE Stephen F. Austin St.

5 147 Micah Kiser LB Virginia

5 160 Obo Okoronkwo LB Oklahoma

6 176 John Kelly RB Tennessee

6 192 Jamil Demby G Maine

6 195 Sebastian Joseph-Day DT Rutgers

6 205 Trevon Young DE Louisville

7 231 Travin Howard LB Texas Christian

7 244 Justin Lawler DE Southern Methodist

2019 - LOS ANGELES RAMS:

2 61 Taylor Rapp SAF Washington

3 70 Darrell Henderson RB Memphis

3 79 David Long DB Michigan

3 97 Bobby Evans T Oklahoma

4 134 Greg Gaines DT Washington

5 169 David Edwards T Wisconsin

7 243 Nick Scott SAF Penn State

7 251 Dakota Allen LB Texas Tech

TexasRam

Legend
I think we drafted pretty good considering the lack of early picks.

I think we are getting to the point now where we have a Surplus of players due to the sheer number of picks. Soon some of these picks will be odd man out with all the competition.

Early to say, but I think 2017 will yield much better fruit than 2018:

2017 - Everett, Kupp, Johnson and Reynolds all are impact players with a few Pro Bowlers in the mix.

2018 - Noteboom looks promising but I'm not sold on Allen yet and the rest are questionable.

2019 - Too early to call but we may see 3 or 4 from the group. Rapp, Henderson and Long have potential, and maybe Gaines. Not sure about the tackles and the rest.

oldnotdead

Legend
Considering their lack of early picks I think they have had very good drafts. As I've posted previously, Snead's background is in Scouting. As such his ability to correctly evaluate talent has allowed him to find quality players in all rounds of the draft. That type of drafting allows a team to stay on top despite the inevitable roster attrition that comes with success.

There are a lot of question marks about the 2018 draft. Many of those players have yet to play. But to find a guy like Noteboom, a possible franchise LT in the 3rd round is very good. Allen played well in limited snaps last year and looks to be a decent starting center this season. JFM flashed on occasion in limited snaps. This year will be to prove he is an upgrade to Brockers. John Kelly, played but failed to impress in his limited snaps last year. IMO this led to the Henderson pick. Kelly must show more this year and as a second year player you would expect him to do so.

Also players like Obo, Demby, Kiser and SJD should be poised to take that step up in their second year and I expect them to do so. If these 2018 players develop into the players we think they should be it would make that draft an excellent one indeed.

Their last 3 picks in 2018 are truly marginal and developmental players and will have to make this team as ST's players.

By comparison their entire 2019 draft class with the exception of Dakota Allen should make the active 53 roster in September. Allen can make the roster as a ST's player. I can see eventually between 5-7 starters or quality rotational players coming out of that draft. You simply can't draft better.

Their 2017 draft class was equally impressive. There are 4 starters and 1 quality rotational WR coming out of that draft alone. Tanzel Smart playing behind Donald and Suh hasn't done much since his rookie year so I would see this as perhaps his last year as a Ram. But to get 5 quality players with 8 picks and none in the first round is outstanding drafting.

This is why we all should be very happy this organization has such a great FO and coaching staff. When FA players want to come here, guys like Suh, Weddle, Talib, Peters, and Matthews and others like Petko openly asking for the opportunity, that tells you what the feeling is around the league. The Rams aren't just a contender, but they are viewed as an elite franchise.

That's our team guys (and any ladies out there)!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have to think that David Edwards sticks.
Either on the 53 or the IR.

I feel pretty good about Dakota Allen as well.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know, some years ago, I thought it was normal for 50% of the guys we drafted to not be on the team the next season. It sure felt that way for as bad a we drafted using tarot cards or dart boards or pin the tail on the donkey tactics. Snead has really done an amazing job since he got here in 2012.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The 2017 draft will clear up a bit more here in its third season. There are still some guys we expect to arrive from that class like Everett for example, who changes things quite a bit depending on if he can be the guy they thought they were getting.

But for now I do like two plus starters given what they had to work with, not to mention one of them looking very much like an elite player (Kupp). Hopefully Johnson takes that final step to the elite range but either way they did a great job with the draft value they had to work with.

It seems like it's not a rarity around the league for a team to retain most of its picks from a couple years back, though. And in most year threes of any given draft class there are going to be guys who you're still waiting on. So I'd guess that the Rams' 2017 draft will go down as one of the most shrewd and efficient of that year.

2018 there's still a lot more time and we need our two young OL to serve notice this season before we get too juiced about it. I feel like the upside of that group isn't as high as the 2019 haul, but functionally it might end up being more important to our long-term sustainability as a playoff team. So this is a huge season for those guys.

Pretty happy with Les' performance though. And he seems to be really good at shaping his scouting staff to bring in the types of players the staff wants, which is an important and overlooked part of the job IMO. That ability when coupled with McVay and his staff detailing precisely what they're seeking has made them one of the better staff/front office teams in the league. So excited to see this next rookie group settle in this preseason, gonna be fun.

MauiRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All I know, some years ago, I thought it was normal for 50% of the guys we drafted to not be on the team the next season. It sure felt that way for as bad a we drafted using tarot cards or dart boards or pin the tail on the donkey tactics. Snead has really done an amazing job since he got here in 2012.

Your comments articulate very well my own sentiments which prompted me to start this thread.

As Merlin stated, we shouldn't get too "juiced" until the younger components of our O-line prove their mettle on the field - absolutely true. I am fervently hoping they pan out as the importance of a strong well meshed O-line is key. They collectively amount to the wheels of the Rams' offensive vehicle.

It is painful for me to remember Alex (what's the snap count?) Barron selected in round 1 - 19th overall, or Greg (whiff/or hold) Robinson, the latter taken with the 2nd pick overall in the 2014 draft.

Kudos to McVay & Snead !!

Ram65

Legend
This year 2018 could be very good with no high picks that were 3rd round and lower.

2018 - LOS ANGELES RAMS:

3 89 Joe Noteboom T Texas Christian

4 111 Brian Allen C Michigan State

4 135 John Franklin-Myers DE Stephen F. Austin St.

5 147 Micah Kiser LB Virginia

5 160 Obo Okoronkwo LB Oklahoma

6 176 John Kelly RB Tennessee

6 192 Jamil Demby G Maine

6 195
Sebastian Joseph-Day DT Rutgers

6 205 Trevon Young DE Louisville

7 231 Travin Howard LB Texas Christian

7 244 Justin Lawler DE Southern Methodist

Could be 2 starters and 2 like starters this year in green. Kiser could be added to that group. Looks like others could make the team. Everett would make 2017 complete if he steps up. 2019 looks good on paper. Overall when you add in the trades of players for picks the Rams are drafting very well.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Team is solid from the coaches down to the players. Good organizations make good decisions. The key to continued success in the Rams staying ahead of other teams is the off-season.

Without good drafting the team will become think at one or more positions. Right now we we are upgrading the depth at several key positions which is a blessing vs teams that have to hope their 4th rounder becomes a solid starter we don't. We can sit Kiser, Obo, Noteboom, Allen etc for a year and work them in gradually which is way better than most teams.

Still with the lack of 1st and 2nd round high picks we do need to hit the talent we choose and some not all need to become solid to above average starters.

If you look at all the stars on the Rams almost all were 1st or 2nd rounders which keeps with the philosophy that high picks really matter. Look at Goff, Gurley, AD, Brockers, Talib, Peters, Cooks, Whit etc these are the basis of the Rams success. We need to rely on late 2nd round, and lower to achieve that same success which is a tall order.

Sure there is a Kupp or Johnson in the group, but clearly not the majority so our hit percentage needs to be high or trade away our 1st or 2nd for an elite player which guarantees a star at that position.

oldnotdead

Legend
In reality if you were to actually track all the first round picks, I think people would be surprised at the bust rate. Look at Brees he was a second round pick. The Goat Brady was like a 6th rounder wasn't he? I can go on and on. I look at it this way. If the Rams continue their success they will be picking at the bottom of round one anyway. I'd much rather convert that pick to additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. There's not much difference in talent between a player picked at the bottom of round one and a player taken in the second round. Bottom line is that Snead has shown that he understands that talent can be found in all rounds. If there is someone special then sure trade up for him. But right now the Rams are upgrading areas of weakness and developing starters. Their core is pretty set for the next few years.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In reality if you were to actually track all the first round picks, I think people would be surprised at the bust rate. Look at Brees he was a second round pick. The Goat Brady was like a 6th rounder wasn't he? I can go on and on. I look at it this way. If the Rams continue their success they will be picking at the bottom of round one anyway. I'd much rather convert that pick to additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. There's not much difference in talent between a player picked at the bottom of round one and a player taken in the second round. Bottom line is that Snead has shown that he understands that talent can be found in all rounds. If there is someone special then sure trade up for him. But right now the Rams are upgrading areas of weakness and developing starters. Their core is pretty set for the next few years.

One big advantage to first rounders - and it doesn't necessarily outweigh getting extra picks - but if a first rounder develops into a star, teams have the option of giving them a 5th year contract, even if not cheap. Matters more for a QB, say, than a TE.