Rams draft their former janitor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Bet this dude is gonna clean up on the field..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/10/rams-draft-their-former-janitor/

Rams draft their former janitor

moalexander-e1399760677426.jpg

Mo Alexander used to work as a janitor cleaning the Rams’ stadium after games. This year he’ll be playing in the same stadium for the Rams.

Alexander, a former Utah State safety, was drafted by the Rams in the fourth round. But two years ago, while he was suspended by Utah State for a fight with a teammate, he was back in his hometown of St. Louis and working on the clean-up crew at the Edward Jones Dome after Rams games.

Last year Alexander was reinstated to the Utah State team and had a very good season, and he also had a workout for the Rams that coach Jeff Fisher described as “outstanding.” And so when the Rams saw him still available in the fourth round, they grabbed him.

Alexander will have a much more lucrative job at the Edward Jones Dome now.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That's pretty funny when you just read the headline. I hope the fact that he'll be in St. Louis gives him some confidence to grow into his athletic potential. I think this was a developmental pick all of the way.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's pretty funny when you just read the headline. I hope the fact that he'll be in St. Louis gives him some confidence to grow into his athletic potential. I think this was a developmental pick all of the way.

apparently they liked the guy and liked that they fell to him - obviously had atleast a 3rd round grade on him....that's a good sign lol

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
apparently they liked the guy and liked that they fell to him - obviously had him a 3rd round grade on him
I think the also thought there would be no way he made it to the 6th round

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
he was drafted in the 4th
I know, but that was when the Rams next pick was. They obviously liked him and didn't want to risk waiting to the 6th round to pick again if they passed on him in the 4th round

iced

I know, but that was when the Rams next pick was. They obviously liked him and didn't want to risk waiting to the 6th round to pick again if they passed on him in the 4th round

lol could be right - could go either way..some quotes from an interview w/ Snead and Fisher on the pick. They talk him up a bit

http://www.rams-news.com/jeff-fishe...ing-mo-alexander-press-conference-transcript/

(On picking S Maurice Alexander)
Fisher: “We’re really good right now. We’re excited about this pick.”

(On what they like about Alexander)
Snead: “Former linebacker, moved to safety in thespring. It was his first time playing safety, but he’s aggressive, big, athletic, and will hit. If you look at the numbers, sacks, caused fumbles, tackles for losses. I’ll let Coach (Fisher) tell you a little bit about…I won’t get into our new scheme, but there’s definitely a role for this type of player in our defense.”

Fisher: “We had him in the building. Because he’s a local kid, we’re permitted to have a local workoutand he had an outstanding workout here three or four weeks ago. We really enjoyed him. He’s afootball player. As Les said, he was a defensive end in high school and JC (junior college), he goes out there and plays linebacker, for a year, maybe two, and then has an incident which we got to the bottom of the incident. It was a friend of his, and there was a push and shove and punches were thrown. There was a lawsuit filed and as a result, their university suspended him for the 2012 season. He came back here to St. Louis and worked at the Edwards Jones dome as a janitor. He cleaned up after our ball games for a year so he financially could pass the time before he was reinstated. He went back to school, missed spring practice. He started backpedaling in training camp and played safety last year. He’s a very, very talented player and has huge upside. The drills, the combine drills in the building, the football knowledge and instincts are outstanding and we’re very excited to have him. We’ll plug him in packages and he’s one of those guys that most likely is active on Sundays as a special teamer as well, immediately.”

(On if they see Alexander as a free or strong safety)
Fisher: “It’s interchangeable. He has the range. He’s got the hips. He’s got the ball skills as well.”

(On if they were aware that Alexander was working at the Edward Jones Dome for a year)
Fisher: “No, this all came out recently.”

(On what it says about the school to reinstate him after suspending him)
Fisher: “I think it says something about the kid, for the school being willing to have him back. The school obviously, they had faith in him, in the program.”

Snead: “To answer your question, usually when a school does that, that means all parties think it’s worth reinstating, second chance, the whole deal.”

(On how his character impressed the staff)
Fisher: “Outstanding young man.”

Snead: “It’s going to be a cool story because he’s from here, grew up here and the whole Dome thing, but you can tell he’s got a passion for football. Anytime you’re probably young and go through something like that, that’s adversity that you’ve got to have some grit to get through it. I think you love the passion that, ‘I really want this opportunity,’ so I think he’s really, really jacked to be a Ram because it means something to him. He got to come in, we got to know him probably better than anybody because of the local workout and all of that.”

(On what Alexander told them about the incident)
Fisher: “He was very professional, very upfront, very honest. I didn’t have a problem with it.”

Snead: “Obviously, we’re going to do our research to follow up and make sure all stories are correlating and on the same page, and they were. This is a good dude.”

(On if they felt like they had to take him in the fourth round and not wait until the sixth)
Fisher: “We fielded some calls, there was some interest in the pick, but we didn’t want to lose this player.”

Snead: “Getting to know this kid, he had done some private workouts with teams, so he was somebody that, I think, teams were trying to sneak through the cracks a little bit. So you knew, with a pick in the sixth, you couldn’t…we wanted this player so we weren’t going to be cute, per se.”

iced

what i was thinking of was the reaction that snead had to the pick - i'll see if i can find the video

iced

just noticed the kid is 6'1 1/4 with a 38 inch vertical...dayumn - great for jump balls

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This was one pick I was not hot on. Thought there were better Safety prospects still there. I hope he proves me wrong. His drills do show explosion through the hips. The vert. is outstanding

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Remember what happened when we brought in a grocery worker... who knows what heights a janitor can reach.

duckhunter

Starter
Happens every year. There wasn't a lot of info, talk or optimism on him.

GBN had him rated 244. Others similar. How did the draft experts miss what the Rams saw? Heck, GBN had Mcdougle at 290 and he was drafted in the 3rd.

It's either good scouting on the Rams part or a big leap of faith called projection.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That dude's living the dream. As a kid I used to have fantasies about being a walk-on for the Rams because I was their parking lot attendant (I was a valet at the time & HS football player in Florida though). It was pretty cool when Fisher said the he was "jacked" to be a St Louis Ram. Those are the kinds of players who never ever take their situations for granted.

duckhunter

Starter
That dude's living the dream. As a kid I used to have fantasies about being a walk-on for the Rams because I was their parking lot attendant (I was a valet at the time & HS football player in Florida though). It was pretty cool when Fisher said the he was "jacked" to be a St Louis Ram. Those are the kinds of players who never ever take their situations for granted.

Yeah, Fisher has a history on hitting on these obscure picks, but it doesn't do my stomach good to begin with. Snisher used the jacked term a couple of times in last years draft also. I just try to understand what the heck they are doing sometime.

Here's to hoping the kid can cover, learn and contribute.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yeah, Fisher has a history on hitting on these obscure picks, but it doesn't do my stomach good to begin with. Snisher used the jacked term a couple of times in last years draft also. I just try to understand what the heck they are doing sometime.

Here's to hoping the kid can cover, learn and contribute.
I definitely remember Les Snead saying that they traded up for Zac Stacey, because they were "jacked" about him...I'd say that worked out fairly well