Rams draft: The case for Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams draft: The case for Sammy Watkins
By Nate Latsch
FOX Sports Midwest

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/story/rams-draft-the-case-for-sammy-watkins-050214

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams go into next Thursday's NFL Draft with a chance to make a splash with the No. 2 overall pick, which they received from Washington as part of the Robert Griffin III trade. But who will they select?

In the days leading up to the draft, we will look at the top options for the Rams -- the players general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher figure to be considering with that pick.

First up is Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, who just might be the long-awaited perimeter playmaker who gives fans at the Edward Jones Dome flashbacks to the days of the Greatest Show On Turf.

WHY WATKINS?

The Rams of recent vintage are a far cry from the aerial show of the early 2000s. They haven't even had a 1,000-yard receiver since the Scott Linehan era -- two head coaches ago.

That happened way back in 2007, when Torry Holt caught 93 passes for 1,189 yards and was selected for the Pro Bowl.

It has been seven seasons since the Rams ranked in the top half of the league in points scored or offense -- something they accomplished in Linehan's first season in 2006, when they went 8-8.

Twenty-four NFL players hit that milestone last season, from Cleveland's Josh Gordon (1,646) to Miami's Brian Hartline (1,016), and 22 teams could claim one. Denver and Chicago each had two.

Six different players have led the Rams in receiving yardage in each of the past six seasons, and none has topped 800 yards. In fact, only one has had more than 700 yards in a season.

After Holt's 1,000-yard season, this is what the Rams' leading receivers have produced:

-- 2008: Holt, 796 yards

-- 2009: Donnie Avery, 589 yards

-- 2010: Danny Amendola, 689 yards

-- 2011: Brandon Lloyd, 683 yards

-- 2012: Chris Givens, 698 yards

-- 2013: Jared Cook (a tight end), 671 yards

What in the name of Isaac Bruce is going on here?

Watkins, a 6-foot-1, 211-pounder, could be the answer.

Bruce, the franchise's all-time receiving leader with 14,109 yards, sang his praises in a radio interview on Thursday with Kevin Wheeler of ESPN 101.1 FM in St. Louis.

"Sammy Watkins is a guy that I've watched from his freshman year at Clemson," Bruce told Wheeler. "... There weren't many players in the country that could really run up and down the field against a Florida State, and Sammy Watkins did that. He did it for three years straight. He was a player to be reckoned with. You could see the growth and you could tell that he was an ascending player.

"If I had the opportunity to take this guy, it would be hard for me to say no because I know this guy is going to be a game-breaker, he's going to be a difference-maker, something that we could use on our current offense."

Bruce said he believes that even early in Watkins' NFL career, the receiver will command double teams from opposing defenses, which would open up the field for the Rams' running game as well as Sam Bradford and his other speedy targets such as Tavon Austin and Chris Givens.

"He's a guy that you have to account for," Bruce said.

Watkins had a strong three-year career at Clemson, where he caught 240 passes for 3,391 yards, gained 3,730 yards from scrimmage and scored 28 touchdowns.

Even Snead, in a recent interview with FOXSportsMidwest.com, gave Watkins a glowing review.

"Sammy is going to be a difference-maker in this league," Snead said.

WHY NOT WATKINS?

The Rams might choose to fortify an area of greater need, the offensive line.

This draft has two elite offensive tackle prospects in Auburn's Greg Robinson and Texas A&M's Jake Matthews, and both players already have connections to the Rams.

Robinson played at Auburn with Fisher's son, and Snead played his college football at Auburn. Fisher coached Matthews' father, Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, during his years with the Oilers/Titans.

Adding a good offensive lineman could help the St. Louis offense as much as a good wide receiver. Maybe more.

Former NFL scout Russ Lande, who runs the GM Jr Scouting service, offered an interesting view on Watkins in an interview on Thursday.

"The question really is, 'Is it Watkins or does Evans make more sense?'" he said. "The reality is they don't have anybody yet that is proven. Even Tavon Austin, who I love. He has yet to show that he can be a good NFL receiver. I don't know if that's him or more the coaching.

"I love Watkins. I think he's a dynamic kid. He may be the most aggressive violent runner with the ball after the catch for a receiver I can remember. He does a great job of getting his shoulders down and everything.

"The concern I would have if I'm the Rams and taking Watkins is I'm taking another dynamic guy. So this is a guy that, basically, a lot of the stuff we want Austin to do is what (Watkins) is going to do -- and we still don't have that big receiver to take the pressure off our dynamic game-breaker. If that's the case, does it make sense to really look at a Mike Evans (from Texas A&M) then, who is that big, strong guy, sort of in that Calvin Johnson mold though with size, although he doesn't have Johnson's speed? Having a huge guy like that opens things up for a guy like Tavon Austin. Personally, I just wouldn't take a receiver that high, but they are both, I think, going to be very, very good receivers in the NFL."

FINAL VERDICT

Watkins could be exactly the kind of player the Rams have been missing all these years.

The Rams showed in the second half of last season that they want to run the ball and were effective with Zac Stacy doing it, but the lack of playmakers on the perimeter allowed the best defenses they faced to key on the running game and keep Stacy in check.

Adding a player like Watkins could help them take the next step in the rough and rugged NFC West.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Also the case for Sammy Watkins:

eq2buCn.jpg

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'd love to get this guy, but if we don't draft one of the top tackles I think we'll regret it BIG TIME. Fro's last mock had us trading up and getting Watkins and Matthews in the first. Man, if we pull that off, the extra 2-week bullshit will be worth it

Slappy967

Starter
I feel like we are gonna take Mathews at 2 and then trade up to #6 and take Mike Evans. Not sure why or what it would take but I think this is going to give us the strength, speed, size and ability we are looking for on offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would love Watkins.

But, I don't see it.

It's just a few days away... I am confident... Mathews is in horns.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Matthews/Evans seems like the most reasonable longshot. I don't think there's any way to get one of the top two OL AND Watkins. Evans might be around, Watkins won't.

jjab360

Legend
Matthews/Evans seems like the most reasonable longshot. I don't think there's any way to get one of the top two OL AND Watkins. Evans might be around, Watkins won't.
Evans will go before Watkins. :eek:

If teams are smart.

scifiman

I dont think anyone on the board who has been a big supporter of Bradford can be for taking Watkins considering that they all say that Sam either does not have the pass blocking or does not have the weapons or both. The real logic should be that you have to have pass blocking first, then a good qb and then the weapons to throw to. If you get the first 2 right, the weapons we already have. We have a TE who can stretch the field and is big. We have a jitterbug wr who is blazing fast. We have another guy, Givens, who can stretch the field. We got a good hands guy in Pettis. We have the weapons. QB's make stars out of these wr's. Put the ball where the guy can catch it even if another guy hanging on him. If Sam is going to be that guy then he needs to step up and figure it out and do it. Draft high for the OL. Then take a quality db which we need. Maybe QB in 2nd or OLB. WR or RB in 3rd or 4th depending how you have them rated and who is left. 5th on more linemen both offense and defense. What I am saying is we have bigger needs than a wr to take that high when we have a big need and a high quality pro bowl type player is available. Win, win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As long as we're talking about the line (as is often the case in most threads concerning the offense), it should be recognized that the Rams were ranked 17th in pass blocking, 6th in run blocking, and 26th in penalties last year. That's not a tremendously awesome line or anything, but it should be sufficient to get the job done (Seahawks had the 6th worst line, all factors considered). The penalties is the killer because we've all seen it take points off the board and negate very large gains. Discipline has to be the priority this season above anything else. Then execution. If this coaching staff can't get those two IMPERATIVES straightened out this year, then I'm going to be supremely disappointed.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Is he a difference maker? If the Rams think he is then they should take him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
wanna put some rod money on that? :D
Hey, that WOULD be a good bet. Or am I overestimating the good press Evans has got? Is Watkins really that far out in front of the rest of the WR field?

iced

Hey, that WOULD be a good bet. Or am I overestimating the good press Evans has got? Is Watkins really that far out in front of
the rest of the WR field?

well,when you keep hearing elite talent , you'll see watkins name - do you see evans? just some food for thought

moklerman

Warner-phile
well,when you keep hearing elite talent , you'll see watkins name - do you see evans? just some food for thought
Well, I wouldn't bet that Evans would go first but if Watkins slips just a little bit, maybe a team that has specific wants from their WR pick takes Evans before Watkins? I've long had the feeling that as good or great as Watkins is, he isn't really an elite prospect, he's just the best of this class at WR and they need someone to pump up. My point being, he may not actually be that much farther out in front of the other WR's on actual NFL draft boards.

iced

Well, I wouldn't bet that Evans would go first but if Watkins slips just a little bit, maybe a team that has specific wants from their WR pick takes Evans before Watkins? I've long had the feeling that as good or great as Watkins is, he isn't really an elite prospect, he's just the best of this class at WR and they need someone to pump up. My point being, he may not actually be that much farther out in front of the other WR's on actual NFL draft boards.

If guys have Watkins rated as a better prospect than Julio Jones, I wouldn't imagine the gap is small between the two. I haven't heard any lofty praise like that toward Evans.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If guys have Watkins rated as a better prospect than Julio Jones, I wouldn't imagine the gap is small between the two. I haven't heard any lofty praise like that toward Evans.

Yo iced, I came around to your view. Watkins at #2. That said, I have Bridgewater at #13. I'm tired of safe. I want sexy.

BeerOClock

Rookie

Anyone who rates Watkins over Julio Jones as a prospect either has memory problems or a strange perspective of football.

J. Jones was the perfect WR prospect with two things bringing down his draft stock: 1) he broke his foot at the end of his last season at Alabama and 2) some guy named AJ Green was also in that year's draft. To be honest, had J. Jones not broken his foot, he most likely would've been rated higher than Green.

J. Jones is a very strong 6'3 220 vs. Watkins' 6'1 212. If Watkins were 6'3, I'd rate he and J.Jones as equal prospects. He's not, though.
J. Jones is faster and more explosive. J. Jones ran a 4.39 40 (vs. Watkins 4.43), 38.5" vertical leap (vs. Watkins 34") and led all WRs in the broad jump--all of this WITH A BROKEN FOOT. J. Jones was one of the best blocking 1st round WR prospects to come out of college in the last twenty years.

Watkins has much better hands and runs slightly better after the catch (both he and J. Jones are outstanding). Both are near-equal on their route running though both are hard to gauge (Watkins ran a majority of routes on either bubble screens or simple patterns, Jones played for a run-dominant team).

This is no way a knock on Watkins. He is clearly the best WR prospect in this year's class. I just like to keep the hype in perspective.
He'd be a very nice addition to the Rams though J. Jones would clearly be the better fit.

Last edited:

iced

Anyone who rates Watkins over Julio Jones as a prospect either has memory problems or a strange perspective of football.

J. Jones was the perfect WR prospect with two things bringing down his draft stock: 1) he broke his foot at the end of his last season at Alabama and 2) some guy named AJ Green was also in that year's draft. To be honest, had J. Jones not broken his foot, he most likely would've been rated higher than Green.

J. Jones is a very strong 6'3 220 vs. Watkins' 6'1 212. If Watkins were 6'3, I'd rate he and J.Jones as equal prospects. He's not, though.
J. Jones is faster and more explosive. J. Jones ran a 4.39 40 (vs. Watkins 4.43), 38.5" vertical leap (vs. Watkins 34") and led all WRs in the broad jump--all of this WITH A BROKEN FOOT. J. Jones was one of the best blocking 1st round WR prospects to come out of college in the last twenty years.

Watkins has much better hands and runs slightly better after the catch (both he and J. Jones are outstanding). Both are near-equal on their route running though both are hard to gauge (Watkins ran a majority of routes on either bubble screens or simple patterns, Jones played for a run-dominant team).

This is no way a knock on Watkins. He is clearly the best WR prospect in this year's class. I just like to keep the hype in perspective.
He'd be a very nice addition to the Rams though J. Jones would clearly be the better fit.

I don't necessarily agree with the hype - that being said, that doesn't mean its not being floated out there. I remember Daniel Jeremiah saying it on NFL network - thought i heard it elsewhere.

Others have them in the same area or pretty close to AJ Green/Jones - including Greg Cosell

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...t-WR-prospect-since-AJ-Green-Julio-Jones.html

My original point was people were throwing that type of praise at watkins - haven't seen anything like that towards evans

BeerOClock

Rookie
Yeah, I know. These are the same guys the made Teddy Bridgewater out to be the next coming of Peyton Manning. It's all about the hype. BTW there was nothing Greg Cosell said in the article that conflicts with what I posted.

I wasn't responding to the overall point in your post--I got it. It was just that one point you were using as support in your post.

I'm okay with pundits putting Watkins close to J. Jones--I also believe he is. It's saying he's a better prospect that I objected to. I also have the same problem with these writers making Greg Robinson the next coming of Orlando Pace. But, that's a different subject for a different thread.

Last edited: