Rams Draft Redux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I am definitely optimistic that the Rams traded down.
More than anything, I see this that the new coaching staff has some confidence/hope in current online players.
Lamp was chosen right after the Rams picked. It shows he was good value. And if anything the Rams could have been seen reaching for an OL rather than passing on good value.

The draft is a crapshoot often.

Getting 2 potentials is a bonus.

I am hoping that the staff can coach the players and they actually really improve.

Ram65

Legend
I was a Lampian too. Did get to see videos of Everett just before the draft. Really thought Lamp would solidify the O Line with Whitworth, Sullivan and the others fighting for spots. I guess Kromer has confidence in the guys on the roster. I was think getting Evans or Lamp with Kupp would have similar values for the offense. Replacing Evans with Everett and getting Johnson as a bonus makes sense. Lot's of safety contracts coming up next year. This one goes to McVay as he was a TE coach and is his bread and butter position on offense. I do see a lot of good things in Everett like his strong soft hands, ability to get YAC and reports he is a willing blocker.

Edit: Considering each of the so called big three WRs and TEs had already been taken I doubt Everett would last another round. He was rated mostly a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
This is the conclusion I have pretty much come to myself, Dave. Not to mention but 3 of our safetys are in the final year of their contracts (Joyner, Alexander and Davis) and we are going to have to get ready to fill some holes in our secondary sooner rather than later.

I believe John Johnson could be an important guy going forward for our Rams and is a big reason why he was drafted where he was. Plus we got to factor in that he played corner at B.C. before moving to safety so I gotta believe he will be a candidate to play slot corner when he is not lining up at free safety and vice versa.

Thanks for your post!!
Johnson's versatility is huge. Main reason he was drafted, imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry, so are you saying that you would have taken F. Lamp and not done the trade down? If so, what would you propose Coach Mac do for a move TE?

P.S. Somehow I get the feeling that Higbee is not a candidate to fill the Jordan Reed role on the Rams' offense. Don't have any direct evidence except the fact that Coach Mac took Everett so high.

~ArkyRamsFan~

I would have taken George Kittle in the 4th round. Either him or Higbee could be the move TE.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would have taken George Kittle in the 4th round. Either him or Higbee could be the move TE.
Interesting.......where then did you have Everett on your board. Or, said another way, in what round would you have drafted him?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The line was not good in 2015 either in my opinion. Some, Brown, Grob, Barnes, Wichmann....for example, have never put together so much as solid back to back games.
Barnes is gone of course and some like Brown would seem an outsider to land a starting spot.
Maybe they love what they have.
Maybe they just didn't prioritize it.
The question still remains was the issue the scheme/coaching or the players. It will make this season watching th line interesting to me.

They had six consecutive weeks without giving up a sack in 2015. Plus Gurley got RoY running behind them.

fearsomefour

Legend
They had six consecutive weeks without giving up a sack in 2015. Plus Gurley got RoY running behind them.
I know.
They had moments. Brown was terrible any time he was on the field, Reynolds is gone, Havenstein was solid at RT, C was hit and miss, Saffold was solid. The real difference was Saffold and Reynolds if memory serves.
The sack stat is sort of misleading to me....just as the total number of sacks given up this last season was misleading.
They were better than last year certainly. But, they did not play well enough to in 2015 to say just back to that level and there are no worries in my opinion, particularly with Havenstein moving inside and concerns at C.
I am optimistic though.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Interesting.......where then did you have Everett on your board. Or, said another way, in what round would you have drafted him?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Everett was obviously McVay's pick...In a way, being cut and dried makes it easier to know who to applaud or who to boo..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

~ArkyRamsFan~

There weren't enough of his games available for me to have a hard grade on him.