Rams Dolphins DR RAM's rewatch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This one was hard for me to watch again. It made me really angry the first time, and the second time made me angry also.

We can't keep doing the same self destructing things, like: penalties in the red zone (Ojinnaka, you listening?); really bad special teams play, and decision making (Jenkins, and B. Miller); not picking up blitzes; blowing coverages (Jenkins and Hull); being late or a no factor in coverage (C. Dahl). Some of these things are absolutely inexcusable, and should never happen.

Bradford's completion % in the first half would have been close to 100, but he continually had to throw the ball away from a combination of coverage sacks and pressure. The throw to Gibson in the end zone was thrown high and OB for good reasons, and he didn't have time to find anybody else, nor was anyone else open.

Steve Smith can't get open, he's done, he's overcooked burnt toast. Quick needs to make the tough catches in traffic, if he can't what good is he? Let me make this clear, I am not expecting miracles, nor do I think him a bust, but he needs to be able to use that big body and be physical. I saw him get manhandled by much smaller guys, and didn't see him fight back. Givens is progressing nicely, and Gibson and Pettis can get separation at times. Kendricks made a real nice catch in traffic, but he didn't get many opportunities in the game, and he is playing real stiff.

Running back wise, I really liked the way they were mixed in there, but Richardson is beating Jackson out of a job. Where Richardson needs to get better is at pass protection, and pass catching, but wow, what a burst this kid has. He looks better every week, and it looks like he will overtake SJ in carries per game, pretty soon.

Overall, I thought the OL did pretty well considering the competition and circumstances, but it's mostly Ojinnaka that continues to disappoint. I think one of the sacks was on Wayne Hunter though. When I say they are playing considerably well, what I mean is that in a 3 step they are OK as long as they are not getting blitzed. In 5 step drops, Sam is generally getting hit at release, but he's doing a good job getting it out, and now scrambling for a few. In a 7 step drop, forget about it, we are just not good enough to let those routes develop unless we totally catch the team by surprise with a good P/A, or a roll out. I think Shotty made 2 really bad calls on critical end of half/game situations by calling option routes. We just can't block well enough to let these type of plays develop when the other team knows we have to pass to get a first down. But see, this part of the problem, we don't have a guy that can win almost every time at the LOS. Run blocking was good.

Linebacker and safety play needs to improve. Watching C. Dahl play just makes me sick to my stomach now. He does nothing, makes no impact in the game. On an early blitz by Jenkins, it was Dahl's assignment to cover the slot receiver, who was the hot receiver on the blitz, and the receiver came across Dahl's face and took about 5 steps to Dahl's 2 to make the catch, and then, in Dahl's 2 bad steps, took a bad angle, and gave up about 15 yards and a first down. It was just pathetic. On Jenkins big gaffe, Dahl was in cover 1, well, Jenks guy was the only guy to go deep, so where was Dahl?? Jenkins had a horrible game all around, missed tackles, blew coverages, and made awful decisions in the punt return game. Mikkel played another really good game.

Rocky put on his grass colored uni again. JL and Dunbar need to react quicker and stop standing around waiting to be blocked.

I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times that the Fins held our defensive ends, and, or went to their faces. It seemed as if their corners and probably everyone else on their team went to our face as many times as they could. Must be a Philbin coaching strategy, but I find it disgusting. Yeah, I know it just happens sometimes, and I know that we do it too sometimes, but the Fins did it egregiously. There was a point where the officials called it twice in a row against them, and then in the same series, they did it again to Quinn, but the refs just got sick of calling it, so they didn't. Quinn and Long both played well, and put a lot of pressure on the QB.

Brockers is still a work in progress, and I saw him miss a couple plays he could have made if he would have disengaged and left his feet. Cudjo played a great series, and appears to be one of our only penetrating defensive lineman. I will say this about our line, they don't generally get washed out, which happened often the last few years. Heard had two stupid offside penalties. This line has a lot of potential, but I think we need one more good interior guy, and one more good rotational DE.

Overall, the defense played well, but Brit Miller screwed them, and we blew two coverages for their two touchdowns. What a shame.

Overall, the offense played well but we couldn't convert on scoring opportunities. We have to clean things up in the red zone. We should have won. What a shame.

Going forward, I'd like to see a few changes personnel wise. I'd like to see a few changes on offense, philosophy wise.

Cheers. I'm looking forward to Sunday. Let's call it Sam's revenge.

Questions, comments, disagreements? Always welcome.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I haven't looked at the game in such detail as you have but I did notice many of the things you stated.

I'm impressed with DR running the ball as well but SJ doesn't seem to be inserted in key positions near the goal line lately. What's up with that?

The holding on our D line is getting pretty obvious and will continue if coaches keep seeing other team getting away with it. What exactly is going on there refs???

What do you see changing to our OL when Wells and Saffold return? I'm thinking Turner back to LG obviously but which OT sits?

Good post as usual Doc!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Did Stewart get many snaps? Why do you think Fisher hasn't made the switch with Dahl? Maybe he sees Stewart as SS, rather than FS (Dahl's position)? Or is Stewart just too far behind because of his camp/preseason injury?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Great summary Doc. :nice:

IMO, we can't get Saffold and Wells back quick enough so Turner can go back to LG and Ojinnaka can plant his a$$ on the bench. I keep asking where the heck is Stewart? Did I miss an injury report? There is no way Dahl is a better player, and all he does is consume oxygen and take up space on the field. I think it would be tough, but I would rather see Tru Johnson move to safety over Dahl. He has more athleticism in his right pinkie finger than Dahl has in his entire body.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
I haven't looked at the game in such detail as you have but I did notice many of the things you stated.

I'm impressed with DR running the ball as well but SJ doesn't seem to be inserted in key positions near the goal line lately. What's up with that?

The holding on our D line is getting pretty obvious and will continue if coaches keep seeing other team getting away with it. What exactly is going on there refs???

What do you see changing to our OL when Wells and Saffold return? I'm thinking Turner back to LG obviously but which OT sits?

Good post as usual Doc!
I'd like to see more carries in general at the goal line, but we seem to always shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties, or sacks. I'd run to the right on power plays if I was coaching.

I have never seen our team get held as much as this team does. I wish I knew the deal, it's not good. I haven't seen a tackle quick enough to handle Quinn, but Quinn needs to get stronger and develop a bull rush...if he does, he will reach elite status.

Great question, and one that I have thought of a lot. I think that Saffold goes to the LT, and Turner to LG, and Richardson will remain the RT as long as he keeps playing like he's playing now, and not a bit less. That being said, I know the Rams are working Barksdale, and Hunter has really impressed me, other than a couple mental mistakes. Personally, I think that Hunter is better than Richardson, but I also think that the Rams will want to stay with some continuity, because of all the other changes, and Hunter would be a great guy to spell Saffold or Richardson if needed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
MontanaRamsFan said:

IMO, we can't get Saffold and Wells back quick enough so Turner can go back to LG and Ojinnaka can plant his a$$ on the bench. I keep asking where the heck is Stewart? Did I miss an injury report? There is no way Dahl is a better player, and all he does is consume oxygen and take up space on the field. I think it would be tough, but I would rather see Tru Johnson move to safety over Dahl. He has more athleticism in his right pinkie finger than Dahl has in his entire body.
Or McLeod. I seriously don't get it either, and I'm sick of talking about it, but every time I study tape, he flashes in a bad way. I can't ignore it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ram Quixote said:
Did Stewart get many snaps? Why do you think Fisher hasn't made the switch with Dahl? Maybe he sees Stewart as SS, rather than FS (Dahl's position)? Or is Stewart just too far behind because of his camp/preseason injury?
No snaps that I saw. I think it's a combo of all the things you listed, and maybe something else too...dog house??

I think Stewart is more of a SS, but still is a better FS than you know who, but that's just my opinion, which doesn't mean shit.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
DR RAM said:
MontanaRamsFan said:

Or McLeod. I seriously don't get it either, and I'm sick of talking about it, but every time I study tape, he flashes in a bad way. I can't ignore it.

Agree. I know that McLeod will play 100% start to finish. Dahl always seems a day late and a dollar short. It's about time to give someone else a chance. Whoever it would be can't be worse!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
MontanaRamsFan said:
DR RAM said:
MontanaRamsFan said:

Agree. I know that McLeod will play 100% start to finish. Dahl always seems a day late and a dollar short. It's about time to give someone else a chance. Whoever it would be can't be worse!
If I was scouting the Rams, my whole passing game would be designed to go against Jenkins and Dahl, especially against the zone. I wouldn't even EVER pass to the other side.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Wells Tweeted today that he is out of the boot and getting closer to returning to the field. Great news.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
MontanaRamsFan said:
Wells Tweeted today that he is out of the boot and getting closer to returning to the field. Great news.
Nice. This what Holt just responded to me on twitter.

DR RAM 18 Oct
@BigGame81 What is wrong with the #Rams, Steve Smith? Is he done in your opinion? It looks to me like he can't get open/separation.

Torry Holt
@DR RAM Has not been the same guy since NYG.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So, X, what the fuck do YOU think? About everything, LOL.. Not including politics.