Rams defense seeking fast start, consistency in 2015/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams defense seeking fast start, consistency in 2015
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...se-seeking-fast-start-and-consistency-in-2015

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Heading toward the 2015 season, the St. Louis Rams defense is in the enviable position of retaining the scheme, the coaches and almost all of the players from last year. That's a good thing for a group that brings with it the type of lofty expectations of a unit some believe will be enough to break the team's decade-long streak of postseason absences.

While that continuity is a welcome addition in this offseason, especially at defensive coordinator where Gregg Williams becomes the first to hold the position two consecutive years since Jeff Fisher arrived as head coach in 2012, there are a couple of areas where the Rams are hoping to get different results than a year ago. Namely, getting off to a fast start and finding more consistency from week to week.

To a man, Rams defenders are confident that their group can be the type to lead a postseason return, but they know that it can't happen if they don't perform to their capabilities every Sunday.

"I think right now we can be that unit," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "Now, do we continue to evolve to become that dominant unit? We’ve shown flashes, but how do we do it more consistently? So until we do it for a consistent season, I’m not going to make any predictions or guarantees or any of that. We have the talent as players, it’s just when do we put it all together?"

For starters, the Rams must figure out a way to hit the ground running. Last year, there was a long feeling-out period that took place between Williams and his new charges. Williams took some time to understand how best to deploy his talent, and his talent took some time to learn how to operate under Williams. The results were underwhelming at best.

Through the first eight games of 2014, the Rams ranked 23rd in sacks, 27th in points allowed per game and 29th in run defense. Their vaunted defensive line, a unit some thought could set a league record for sacks actually set a record for sack futility, with just one in the first five games.

Things finally began to click over the final eight games, as the Rams were tied for fourth in sacks with 26, fifth in average points allowed at 16.8 and fourth in run defense at 84.4 yards per game allowed.

With those numbers in mind, Williams has put an emphasis on hitting the ground running.

"It’s just about starting fast," safety Rodney McLeod said. "Gregg has been preaching that since we got back. It’s always the first thing that we see every time we open up a meeting. I think we take that approach and start fast out here in practice and it’s going to translate over into these first four to five games. We’ve got a tough little schedule but if we start fast, come out the gates running and winning, the sky is the limit for this team."

Even if the Rams do find a way to start fast, to truly become the dominant group they believe they can be, they're going to have to become more consistent. For every shutout they've pitched against the likes of Oakland and Washington, they've had a bad habit of giving it right back with efforts like the 514 yards allowed in a loss against the New York Giants.

The up-and-down performances have yielded totals right in the middle of the league since Fisher arrived. Under Fisher, the Rams rank 14th in the NFL in yards allowed (346.4), 17th in yards per play (5.43), 15th in run defense (110.23) and 19th in pass defense (236.19).

"I felt like last year we were capable of doing it but we just weren’t consistent enough," defensive end Chris Long said. "I think with some of the additions we’ve made and with some continuity here and there, there’s no reason why we can’t – if the offense isn’t doing what we expect them to do every week which is be dominant because I think we are capable of doing that on the offensive side of the ball – but if they have an off day we can carry the load."

To get there, the Rams will have to eliminate the big plays they had a knack for giving up in 2014. More often than not, those came as a result of a miscommunication or blown coverage on the back end. On pass attempts of 30 yards or longer, the Rams gave up just seven completions, which was tied for 12th in the NFL. But those plays often turned into bigger gains that went for touchdowns which is why the Rams gave up 29.71 yards per attempt on such passes, worst in the NFL. Five of those went for touchdowns.

"We always say, ‘Don’t be a repeat offender, don’t make the same mistake over and over,’" Laurinaitis said. "Prove that you can learn from it and move on. ... So I think early on we have always started slow. I don’t know why that is but I think this year we have an opportunity to really start camp faster."

Big Game

Living The Dream
First 5 games the Rams will need the defense to start off quickly for sure.

First game of the season at home we play Seattle so we have to be able to stop or at least contain Beast Mode. We normally do well in sacking Wilson but we can not give up big plays to there new toy at TE.

Second game of the season is at Washington. Although i think we can win this one easily the Redskins did upgrade the Oline and RGIII may be healthy. We shall see.

Third game of the season is against the Steelers at home. Although i don't think Bell will be available due to suspension Rams must take into acct Brown and Big Ben.

Fourth game at Arizona Cardinals. If we get to the QB and make it a rough day for him we can win if not they do love to throw the ball. I think we can score on the Cardinals they lost key pieces on defense including the coordinator.

Fifth game of the season is at Green Bay. Rams will have to bring the hard hats and play blue collar hard nose defense against Rodgers who will be at home.

If we can come out 3-2 or 4-1 from the first five games could line up for a great season.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its imperative they start strong from day one. Its gonna take time for the offense to gel. Another slow start by the defense likely means another subpar season.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The defense has to play hard and aggressive during preseason last year all they did was play a base Vanilla defense. Fisher and Williams can't expect them to hit the ground running when they haven't played like that yet.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
We don't have to come out 4-0 fast but a repeat performa ce of the last two years isnt acceptable. I remain a Fisher fan but this trend has to be stopped and it's up to the coaches to have them ready. I still haven't got the taste of that nyg shelllacing out of my mouth. I loove the team but there's some coaching issues that have to be corrected. No excuse for getting lit up that bad by a mediocre team at home. Some of our players need to learn to keep their mouth shut on the field. It's laughable when realistacally you haven't won anything.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Defense Looks for Continuity to Breed Success
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Defense-Looks-for-Continuity-to-Breed-Success/7eb7f088-ed2e-4241-9df1-cb8cd559eca0

For all the changes the Rams have made on one side of the ball, what has stayed the same on the other is worth its share of headlines.

With Gregg Williams back, St. Louis has the same defensive coordinator in consecutive years for the first time since head coach Jeff Fisher took over in 2012. And given how well Williams’ unit finished 2014, there are a number of reasons for optimism heading into the season.

“The continuity is awesome,” defensive end Chris Long said during OTAs. “It’s good to have him anyway, but when you have him two years in a row, the young guys have the opportunity to grow in his scheme -- learn the scheme and master it.

“Now we’re not spending so much time trying to catch up in the summer,” Long continued. “We’re playing ball.”

The defensive coordinator himself said on Thursday that the unit is “lightyears” ahead of where it was a year ago because of the familiarity.

“Just from a terminology [standpoint] -- are we speaking the same language? Do we understand what we really want? It took a little bit of time for all of us to get acclimated last year,” Williams said. “And now we’re hoping we can start off faster this year because there’s a knowledge base of information that we all know is the same.”

“It’s good because you can build a relationship with somebody and you know how they play, know what they want from you,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said of having Williams back. “You get a lot more comfortable, and I think you play a little bit faster.”

Along with that, Williams said players are now familiar enough in the scheme to make checks and audibles based on what they see from the opposition.

“I’ve given them a lot of tools in their toolbox, but now they understand those tools,” Williams said. “They’ll be making calls out on the field that fit their skill set. They’ll stay in the family of the call, but the call has all kinds of adjustments that fit their skill set. They can do that now because we’ve had all this experience together.”

What the defensive coordinator doesn’t want to do is overwhelm the players by giving them too much to learn and digest. Like he has at each coaching stop, Williams said he’s worked to adapt the Rams’ scheme to best fit the current unit’s strengths.

“We’ve taken [away] some of those things, but then we’ve also added things,” Williams said. “Some of the things we’ve added, they’ve brought to us that they’ve done before in the past. We’ve adapted a couple of things there.”

The defensive coordinator said even the assistant coaches know more about what he expects, and have put in the time to ensure it happens. Williams gave plenty of credit to his defensive staff for assembling individualized video cuts for each of the players to study during OTAs. According to Williams, the clips displayed both strengths and weaknesses to have the best impact on growth and development.

“The coaches went the extra mile,” Williams said.

It helps, too, that the Rams have the vast majority of 2014 defensive contributors still with the club for the upcoming season. Long said having that continuity is awesome.

“It’s something I haven’t experienced a ton around here,” Long said. “We just have to take care of the little things every play and that’s something the continuity will help us do.”

Given how well the defense played down the stretch last year, expectations are high for 2015. And with Williams’ experience in coaching top-flight units, he said there’s a possibility that this defense could turn out to be special.

“We would hope so,” Williams said. “This is a talented group, and in order for us to be that way, there can’t be any miscommunication. One play can beat you one way or another.

“But when they are on the same page,” he continued, “if you see these guys talking -- yeah, there’s a chance for them to be special.”

Long agreed with his coordinator’s assessment.

“We’ve sensed that it’s been in the making,” Long said. “We’ve had frustration at times that we weren’t consistent enough. I think that’s something we’re going to harp on -- if we are consistently our best we can be as good as we want to be.

“The important thing is trying to impose our will on offenses,” Long added. “I think we don’t have any weaknesses right now, so that’s a wonderful thing.”