Rams defense #1 in pressuring opposing quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Pressures are the most overrated statistic. If the QB gets the ball out what does it matter?

It is all about sacks.
If AD causes bad throws that get the offense off the field, they are effective. If a “pressure” results in a Mahomes left-handed pass that will show up on a highlight video, I agree.

jap

Legend
Now if the officials would only start calling all the holds on our rampaging defensive trio, those would be as effective as sacks. Those heavy rampaging footsteps have opposing QBs so skittish they are coughing up the rock quickly. Let's see if Aaron goes into The Kraken! mode three more times against poor Wussell!

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Pressures are the most overrated statistic. If the QB gets the ball out what does it matter?

It is all about sacks.

Sacks are important, especially on 3rd down, but like others I have been amazed by the amount of obvious holding that has been let go without a flag. OK I am bias, but it seems on every other play Donald, Sue or Brockers are being held having got past initial contact, with no penalty flag... Pressure, Sacks and holding penalties are all part of the picture, as is coverage, run defense, and opposing offenses - the Raiders, Chargers & Vikings have very good offenses, lest we forget

It's not all about sacks...

dang

Legend

It is all about sacks.
The MOST overrated statistic? How about Time of Possesion? Effective Quick strike offenses don’t need 8 minutes to drive and score.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pressures lead to interceptions and incompletions. Sacks lead to fumbles. Both are needed.
Agree! Need both!!

That Stat is all well and good. But the Rams have given up 27 PPG the last two games against the Chargers and Vikings.
I don't expect the Rams to be playing great on both sides of the ball so early in the season, but the defense is going to have to improve in points allowed if they are to peak in the second half of the season.
Yup... at the end of the day, only one stat matters... the score.

Can't allow an average of 27 PPG and expect your offense to keep bailing you out.

Phillips has some work to do.

Blue Boy

UDFA
Interesting commentary. Some I agree with, some I do not…

Re: The Joy of Sacks…

According to statistics, (in general) sacks on 1st and 2nd Down SIGNIFICANTLY degrade an offenses' ability (i.e. ensuing probability) to make a 1st Down…

(A sack knocking a team out of FG notwithstanding…) The reality is that the a 3rd Down sack when it comes to keeping a drive alive has no more value than an incomplete pass.

Re: Under Pressure …

As for QB Pressures, this is one of the one of the most UNDERRATED statistics in football. Typically a veteran QB's QB Rating goes down by 30 to 70 percentage points when pressured. Completion % goes down and INT % goes way up when pressured.

Re: The Numbers…

NFL Passer Ratings - 2016

Clean Pocket: 99.3
Under Pressure: 64.6
Play After a Sack (usually NOT 3rd Down): 78.1

League Avg Passer Rating: 87.6

Source: Pro Football Focus

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It is all about sacks.
Does he have time for the WR to get open/run his route? Did he get to the first down marker on third down or did he up throwing short of a first down because of a pressure?

Did he get to set his feet and body to throw good?

Is the pressure making the other OC keep a TE or RB in on protection making it easier to cover them?

It’s not sexy like a sack, but they’re far from an overrated stat.

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
@bubbaramfan I know it’s a typo when you spelled sacked as scaked but I like that as a new term for when our team scakes the QB. “Wilson gets Scaked by number 99.” Again!!! What say the hive?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Pressures are a wonderful thing.

However...

Count me in the camp of those who believe that our outside play is not yet where it needs to be.

Neither is allowing 27 points per game. C’mon...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I just want to get opposing offenses off the freaking field more often so we can score 50 per gm.

No doubt. In fact I am certain third down conversions have been a point of emphasis for the unit.

Oh and re: the Shehawks guess what? Yeah, bottom of the league in third down conversion rate. If our defense has problems gettin off the field tomorrow I'm gonna be pi$$ed. But I doubt that will be a problem.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neither is allowing 27 points per game. C’mon...

That's easy to correct. The Rams offense needs to take more time scoring points. Of course that means less than 35 points a game for our side. Either way we win. The only statistic that matters is who gets the most points at the end of the game. I'm perfectly fine with winning every game 21-0. :sneaky: