Rams DE Robert Quinn ready to return, help Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...obert-quinn-ready-to-return-help-aaron-donald

Alden Gonzalez: ESPN

IRVINE, Calif. -- Back surgery, the resolution to a litany of ailments that hindered the early part of his 2015 season, prompted Los Angeles Rams defensive end Robert Quinn to sit out his final seven games. And because he did, Quinn was forced to watch his teammate, star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, draw an inordinate number of double- and triple-teams from opposing offensive lines, unable to do much of anything about it.

“Shoot,” Quinn recalled thinking, “now he knows what I feel like.”

Quinn -- the 2013 Pro Football Writers Association Defensive Player of the Year after recording an NFC-leading 19 sacks -- used to be the man opposing offensive coordinators feared. But that was before Donald's star ascended and before Quinn’s back gave out. On Saturday in Denver, Quinn will play his first game in more than nine months, suiting up for a drive or two against the reigning-champion Broncos in a 6 p.m. PT kickoff. And Donald might finally start feeling a little relief.

“That man’s fast,” Donald said of Quinn. “When you got a guy who’s that fast, who can come off the edge, who can bend like he can bend, you just have to show that guy respect.”

Quinn recovered from a benign brain tumor in high school and starred at the University of North Carolina as a freshman and sophomore. A suspension during his junior season, for accepting improper agent benefits, caused Quinn to slip to the Rams at No. 14 in the 2011 draft. He went on to record 40 sacks from 2012-14, third-most in the NFL in that three-season span, and quickly built a reputation as one of the game's best at getting to the opposing quarterback.

Alec Ogletree said. “The way he came back, you can definitely tell he still has the get-off of the ball and he’s definitely able to make plays.”

The Rams’ defensive line -- anchored by Donald, the game's best interior pass-rusher -- has the potential to be one of the NFL's best this season. But that will only be the case if Quinn can rekindle his prior dominance, which is no certainty given the type of surgery from which the 26-year-old is recovering.

Quinn himself is not sure.

“I feel like I have the power back, I feel like I have some explosion back,” Quinn said. “But I haven’t played a game, so who knows where it’s truly at. I feel great, but I guess the game will tell.”

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...obert-quinn-ready-to-return-help-aaron-donald

IRVINE, Calif. -- Back surgery, the resolution to a litany of ailments that hindered the early part of his 2015 season, prompted Los Angeles Rams defensive end Robert Quinn to sit out his final seven games. And because he did, Quinn was forced to watch his teammate, star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, draw an inordinate number of double- and triple-teams from opposing offensive lines,.....

......The Rams’ defensive line -- anchored by Donald, the game's best interior pass-rusher -- has the potential to be one of the NFL's best this season. But that will only be the case if Quinn can rekindle his prior dominance, which is no certainty given the type of surgery from which the 26-year-old is recovering.

Quinn himself is not sure.

“I feel like I have the power back, I feel like I have some explosion back,” Quinn said. “But I haven’t played a game, so who knows where it’s truly at. I feel great, but I guess the game will tell.”
This article has some excellent points contained in it. The first nugget that I see is the mentioning of the constant double & triple teaming ongoing on Aaron Donald after the injury to Rob Quinn. But why was our opponents able to run in 2 or 3 extra OL'ers to block Donald? I know they didn't but what was done often was our opponent had zero fear of both Sims & Hayes as pass rushers. They simply would engaged Donald with an extra OT from usually Sims but Hayes too, on critical 3rd down pass plays & assign TE's & RB's to handle our DE's with ease. Sims with his 1 1/2 sacks can be left to run free but at least they had to put a WR or a TE on Hayes so they could contain Donald.

The second nugget is where they address the great uncertainty of what we have left in Rob Quinn as a pass rusher after surgery. This is why you see me posting heavy on the need for outside pass rushers contain this 2016 DL cadre because Sims & Hayes will get you what we got last season. On top of that both are high $$$ cap cost now (near 28 mil.)with little or no real good on field performance to show for those millions. I do not want to loose Westbrooks // Longacre// Ian Seau & then watch Fisher trot out our slow over 30 DE's to give our opponents the many opportunities to triple team & wear down & negate Donald all over again.

I would prefer that Quinn be eased back into the game slowly. I want the early heavy lifting @ RDE done by Matt Longacre with Quinn rotating in on pass downs. I really believe those two could work very well together. On the opposite side edge I prefer that Hayes get the heavy run down plays with Westbrooks moving in on probable passing downs. I would prefer that Hayes be that DE who moves inside on passing down instead of Westbrooks. I prefer Ethan Westbrooks exclusively @ LDE. Sad fact Fisher will continue to run both Sims & Hayes & we will have no outside pass rush with those two.....count on it!

Here's my 9 DL'er cadre line up:
LDE-Hayes/Westbrook
NT's Brockers/Thomas
DT's Donald/Easley
RDE-Longacre/Quinn/Seau

Last edited:

Shoman01

Rookie
I ag
This article has some excellent points contained in it. The first nugget that I see is the mentioning of the constant double & triple teaming ongoing on Aaron Donald after the injury to Rob Quinn. But why was our opponents able to run in 2 or 3 extra OL'ers to block Donald? I know they didn't but what was done often was our opponent had zero fear of both Sims & Hayes as pass rushers. They simply would engaged Donald with an extra OT from usually Sims but Hayes too, on critical 3rd down pass plays & assign TE's & RB's to handle our DE's with ease. Sims with his 1 1/2 sacks can be left to run free but at least they had to put a WR or a TE on Hayes so they could contain Donald.

The second nugget is where they address the great uncertainty of what we have left in Rob Quinn as a pass rusher after surgery. This is why you see me posting heavy on the need for outside pass rushers contain this 2016 DL cadre because Sims & Hayes will get you what we got last season. On top of that both are high $$$ cap cost now (near 28 mil.)with little or no real good on field performance to show for those millions. I do not want to loose Westbrooks // Longacre// Ian Seau & then watch Fisher trot out our slow over 30 DE's to give our opponents the many opportunities to triple team & wear down & negate Donald all over again.

I would prefer that Quinn be eased back into the game slowly. I want the early heavy lifting @ RDE done by Matt Longacre with Quinn rotating in on pass downs. I really believe those two could work very well together. On the opposite side edge I prefer that Hayes get the heavy run down plays with Westbrooks moving in on probable passing downs. I would prefer that Hayes be that DE who moves inside on passing down instead of Westbrooks. I prefer Ethan Westbrooks exclusively @ LDE. Sad fact Fisher will continue to run both Sims & Hayes & we will have no outside pass rush with those two.....count on it!

Here's my 9 DL'er cadre line up:
LDE-Hayes/Westbrook
NT's Brockers/Thomas
DT's Donald/Easley
RDE-Longacre/Quinn/Seau

I agree with your assessment of Quinn being highly paid with nothing to show for it. Back injuries are the most debilitating injury you can have. I have doubts that he will ever get back to his 2014 level of play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would be very surprised that we ever see the 2013/2014 version of Quinn again too. I am just worried over him & so badly want this great guy to recover close to what he was...I don't care of the cost with him.
Rob Quinn is truly a good guy who deserves better. I would be :yay:if Quin is 75% this season.

The cap cost I was mentioning was on the cost of Sims & Hayes which IMO is very high. Quinn may not be earning his high rate of pay now but he sure did back in 2013/2014 seasons .....that does not bother me.