Rams DC Brandon Staley breaks down rookie additions to defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams DC Brandon Staley breaks down rookie additions to defense

Midway through the Rams' virtual offseason program, defensive coordinator Brandon Staley took the time to break down each of the unit's draft picks. Here's what he had to say about each as we get closer to training camp.

Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama

2019 college stats: 31 tackles, 11.5 for loss, six sacks and two pass breakups in 11 games; second team All-SEC selection.

Staley's take: "I think you guys are probably aware of his talent. His talent is not indicative of where he was drafted, but we're excited about the skillset he brings to the table, and hopefully we can get his best football. I think it's still ahead of him. I think he's still a developing player, but from a skillset standpoint, he's what you're looking for in an outside rusher."

Terrell Burgess, S, Utah

2019 college stats: 81 tackles, 7.5 for loss, one interception, five pass breakups while starting in 14 games; honorable mention All-Pac 12 recognition.

Staley's take: "Really formed good relationships with his college coaches, who I have a very high opinion of. (They had) like nine players drafted, they were the number two defense in the country. This guy played everywhere for them. I think he's a safety to start, but he can play nickel (defensive back). He's a 4.4 guy who's got movement, and so I think we can activate him in some different roles."

Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State

2019 college stats: 62 tackles, two interceptions and four pass breakups in 14 starts; first team All-Big Ten selection.

Staley's take: "Two-time captain at Ohio State. I mean, you're talking about the premiere program in the country, two-time captain and he's only one of 14 guys that's ever been that. (Former Ohio State co-defensive coordinator) Jeff Hafley, we have a good relationship with him and he's just been raving about this guy. He's proven that so far in these meetings. We're excited to work with him."

Clay Johnston, ILB, Baylor

2019 college stats: 58 tackles, eight for loss, 2.5 sacks, one interception, five pass breakups in six games (suffered season-ending knee injury halfway through the year); second team All-Big 12 selection.

Staley's take: "He's probably going to be known for his reaction to being drafted for now, but hopefully we'll be getting him to playing some good football. But just the makeup, being a coach's son, being part of that transformation of Baylor and that team becoming a national program, he's an impressive guy to talk football with and hopefully we can get his knee healthy."

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Burgess news is probably the only thing that wasn't coach speak. Sounds like the nickel corner spot is up for grabs. Significant snaps anyway. Looking forward to seeing Long and others compete.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Burgess news is probably the only thing that wasn't coach speak. Sounds like the nickel corner spot is up for grabs. Significant snaps anyway. Looking forward to seeing Long and others compete.

he said real 4.4 speed which comes across loud & clear.Lewis is not going to get those reps over OBO like Oldnotdead thinks. Floyd & Ebukham will be getting most Reps at OLB.

yeah- Johnston might be pup list in 2020? Fuller is interesting,but more of a depth guy.

What about all those udrfa guys everyone is talking about ?? Love how people just assume things so easily.

Yes players can & will surprise though. Reeder is an example I would have never thought would be playing in 2019.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'll be curious to see how this all works out.

To me this team identified the need to be versatile and flexible.

Seemingly able to match any opponent any week.

Communication will be the key cog in it all because without it this dynamic machine will not be able to work properly.

oldnotdead

Legend
he said real 4.4 speed which comes across loud & clear.Lewis is not going to get those reps over OBO like Oldnotdead thinks. Floyd & Ebukham will be getting most Reps at OLB.

I think you need to go back and really read what I've been saying. In the Ram's scheme the JACK is an OLB and I project Floyd in that spot. The JACK aligns most snaps as a hand in the dirt 5T opposite Brockers. Ebukam is an OLB who plays the SAM position who's primary role is to set a hard edge on his side, to cover receivers be they RB or TE in the flats, and to provide occasional blitzes. Lewis is an OLB who will play as a second JACK opposite Floyd. This is what I've been saying all along and that Lewis' speed thing is a dig at Brockers who runs a 5.36 which is slow for an edge rusher. But you are confusing Lewis and Burgess because Staley didn't say 4.4 speed about Lewis only about Burgess. Analytics projects Lewis' 40 time about 4.5 or 4.6 from what I've heard. Leonard Floyd runs a 4.6 which is good for a man his size. Ebukam runs a 4.5 which is excellent for a SAM. What I've said about Lewis is that his size and speed allows him to play JACK, DE, and SAM so on any given play Staley can shuffle his players around creating confusion for the offense while not compromising the defense.

Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama

2019 college stats: 31 tackles, 11.5 for loss, six sacks and two pass breakups in 11 games; second team All-SEC selection.

Staley's take: "I think you guys are probably aware of his talent. His talent is not indicative of where he was drafted, but we're excited about the skillset he brings to the table, and hopefully we can get his best football. I think it's still ahead of him. I think he's still a developing player, but from a skillset standpoint, he's what you're looking for in an outside rusher."

I've always said he still needs developmental time and will probably be used as a situational pass rusher probably replacing Brockers on passing downs. He's not saying anything I haven't said. I have said I see him after Brockers leaves in 2 years as the starting DE (5T). Nothing Staley is saying contradicts anything I've said. I've also been pointing out that he's got legit first-round talent and Staley alludes to it.

Terrell Burgess, S, Utah

2019 college stats: 81 tackles, 7.5 for loss, one interception, five pass breakups while starting in 14 games; honorable mention All-Pac 12 recognition.

Staley's take: "Really formed good relationships with his college coaches, who I have a very high opinion of. (They had) like nine players drafted, they were the number two defense in the country. This guy played everywhere for them. I think he's a safety to start, but he can play nickel (defensive back). He's a 4.4 guy who's got movement, and so I think we can activate him in some different roles."

What I've been saying is that I see him working into the secondary this year as the NCB and rotational FS. Also, that IMO he's been drafted to replace Johnson next year who is a FA. Johnson's issue is lack of range to play FS, Staley alludes to Johnson's lack of range by pointing out his 4.4 speed which is exactly what I've also done. Again nothing that Staley is saying contradicts what I've been saying.

Regarding Fuller I've always contended that he is strictly a SS and since Rapp is the starting SS I don't see him taking his spot. So again I see Fuller as quality depth who can play next year in their 3 safety set when Burgess replaces Johnson. Again nothing contradicts what I've been saying.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think you need to go back and really read what I've been saying. In the Ram's scheme the JACK is an OLB and I project Floyd in that spot. The JACK aligns most snaps as a hand in the dirt 5T opposite Brockers. Ebukam is an OLB who plays the SAM position who's primary role is to set a hard edge on his side, to cover receivers be they RB or TE in the flats, and to provide occasional blitzes. Lewis is an OLB who will play as a second JACK opposite Floyd. This is what I've been saying all along and that Lewis' speed thing is a dig at Brockers who runs a 5.36 which is slow for an edge rusher. But you are confusing Lewis and Burgess because Staley didn't say 4.4 speed about Lewis only about Burgess. Analytics projects Lewis' 40 time about 4.5 or 4.6 from what I've heard. Leonard Floyd runs a 4.6 which is good for a man his size. Ebukam runs a 4.5 which is excellent for a SAM. What I've said about Lewis is that his size and speed allows him to play JACK, DE, and SAM so on any given play Staley can shuffle his players around creating confusion for the offense while not compromising the defense.

I've always said he still needs developmental time and will probably be used as a situational pass rusher probably replacing Brockers on passing downs. He's not saying anything I haven't said. I have said I see him after Brockers leaves in 2 years as the starting DE (5T). Nothing Staley is saying contradicts anything I've said. I've also been pointing out that he's got legit first-round talent and Staley alludes to it.

What I've been saying is that I see him working into the secondary this year as the NCB and rotational FS. Also, that IMO he's been drafted to replace Johnson next year who is a FA. Johnson's issue is lack of range to play FS, Staley alludes to Johnson's lack of range by pointing out his 4.4 speed which is exactly what I've also done. Again nothing that Staley is saying contradicts what I've been saying.

Regarding Fuller I've always contended that he is strictly a SS and since Rapp is the starting SS I don't see him taking his spot. So again I see Fuller as quality depth who can play next year in their 3 safety set when Burgess replaces Johnson. Again nothing contradicts what I've been saying.

Lewis isn't heavy enough to player 3/4 DE. I'm guessing you are predicting that he adds weight?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well I’ll contradict what your saying.

1.First off Where do you OBo ???
Brockers is Brockers - A stud run stoppper & A All Time Ram Team Leader !!! A Top Pillar That Spags always talked about. Means so much Staley wanted to keep him when he first got here & The Rams brought him back. Even with Floyd & A.Robinson signing as first time Rams. $$$30 million $10 Million each 2020.
Basic math is all I can figure.

2. Where did Fowler play last season??
who takes his spot ??

3.Where did Clay play last season who takes his spot.

4. Where did Ebukham play at the end of last season, because he started to go off again. He proved his value as a True top Ram defender. These guy will be hard to keep & McSneads 2017 draft maybe one of The Best in Rams History??? Especially when you think they did
Comp picks galore.
1. Reynolds
2.Everett
3.Ebukham
4.Kupp
5.Johnson

None of these players are signed & they all have a lot of NFL football ahead of them.

5.Eric Weedle is replaced by who ???
Johnson ??? John Johnson at FS compared to Burgees?? That’s hard to say when your talking about speed vs. instincts. — Will post a discussion on that in itself ?? I’ll start a 2020 post on predictions ??? Interesting views we have though.

6. Where did Robey Coleman play last season ?? Who takes his spot.

7.Where did Blake Christian play last season ?? Who takes his spot??

There are basically 5 starting spots to be filled depending down & distance. I know there are all kinds of rotation as well. Just putting a name on a position from last season.

—Then another whole different question about the difference in Wade & Staley. Wade used a lot of DB sets & from what I’m gathering with Staley he is looking to hide his schemes more than Wade going with skill set Amon-Emono ???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

??? Is this The Way you picture things ???

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lewis isn't heavy enough to player 3/4 DE. I'm guessing you are predicting that he adds weight?

I don't think he's predicting that and I don't think Lewis will replace Brockers on passing downs, that will be Morgan Fox. Lewis could come in and replace Floyd or Ebukam, he's an OLB not a defensive end IMHO.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

"There is no I in team"
But there are 18 different mentions of "I" and "I've" in this post.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
But you are confusing Lewis and Burgess because Staley didn't say 4.4 speed about Lewis only about Burgess. Analytics projects Lewis' 40 time about 4.5 or 4.6 from what I've heard. Leonard Floyd runs a 4.6 which is good for a man his size. Ebukam runs a 4.5 which is excellent for a SAM.

4.4 is pretty fast. Even for a DB. I had no idea Burgess had that kind of speed. 4.5-4.6 is good for an edge rusher. But quickness off the snap is key. I doubt Aaron Donald could beat these guys in a 40 yard dash. But is anyone in the league quicker off the snap?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
"There is no I in team"
But there are 18 different mentions of "I" and "I've" in this post.
But there is...
4ea81669fe7ec84bc329581edb35ca5e.jpg

Not directed at any humans. Just funny.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think he's predicting that and I don't think Lewis will replace Brockers on passing downs, that will be Morgan Fox. Lewis could come in and replace Floyd or Ebukam, he's an OLB not a defensive end IMHO.

agree - Morgan Fox will get some DE passing Reps.

jap

Legend
4.4 is pretty fast. Even for a DB. I had no idea Burgess had that kind of speed. 4.5-4.6 is good for an edge rusher. But quickness off the snap is key. I doubt Aaron Donald could beat these guys in a 40 yard dash. But is anyone in the league quicker off the snap?

There are a number of physics concepts here involving changes in movement over time that you are captioning under the categories of speed and quickness. Speed is the change in distance over time. Quickness is usually employed as a synonym for the physics concept of acceleration, which refers to the change in speed over time.

Remember too that these listed speeds you reference (e.g., 4.4, 4.5-4.6) represents 40-yard dash times in track shorts. Players move slower while weighed down by padding. Players who move quicker than most other players while wearing pads (e.g., Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson) are often erroneously said to "play faster than they time," which is physically impossible. If one moves at a certain speed in track shorts, then adds more weight (e.g., padding) and provides the same effort of movement, one must obviously move slower.

There is another movement concept beyond even that of acceleration|quickness, and that is the jerk (also known as the jolt, surge, or lurch), which refers to changes in acceleration over time - in other words, increases (or decreases) in acceleration over time. This concept is probably much closer than acceleration|quickness to what athletic coaches refer to when they say an athlete has explosion. Players like these (e.g., Aaron Donald, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders) can move off the snap like they have been shot out of a canon. Aaron is sometimes literally between two blockers before they have begun their initial movement off the snap. There are a lot of players Aaron cannot beat in a 40-yard dash, but Lord help you if you have the rock, and you are in his crosshairs when he comes with that explosive movement to YOU!!!

Ram65

Legend

I saw a site that had him at 4.46. So I looked it up. It may not be much but, it does make a difference. I don't like this rounding down on the 40 times. Burgess seems to have some short area quickness as well.

As a safety, Burgess ran a 4.46 40-yard dash.Mar 1, 2020
Former Utah Safety Terrell Burgess Turned Heads At NFL ...

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I saw a site that had him at 4.46. So I looked it up. It may not be much but, it does make a difference. I don't like this rounding down on the 40 times. Burgess seems to have some short area quickness as well.

As a safety, Burgess ran a 4.46 40-yard dash.Mar 1, 2020
Former Utah Safety Terrell Burgess Turned Heads At NFL ...
I agree, .5 seconds is a big difference when it come to sprinting, especially in shorter races. Those .5 secs could be closer to a 1 sec gap when compared to a true 4.4 guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Hard to think of Brockers as an opposite Jack. DE/DT -yes.
I have seen Aaron Donald playing more on the outside & might get more of those opportunities.