Rams’ Darrell Henderson greets new role with healthy perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams’ Darrell Henderson greets new role with healthy perspective​

IRVINE — Darrell Henderson will finally get his chance to be the Rams’ No. 1 running back because someone else got hurt.

But instead of a twinge of relief, Henderson says he felt only sympathy pain when he heard about Cam Akers’ Achilles tendon injury in mid-July.

He has been in Akers’ walking boot.

“I never want to see a player get hurt. Me, coming off two ankle surgeries, it was horrible (to hear),” said Henderson, whose 2019 and 2020 seasons ended with injuries. “When I heard that (about Akers), I immediately looked down at mine to make sure mine’s still good.”

Henderson was speaking Friday after practice at Rams training camp at UC Irvine, his first chat with reporters since Akers’ injury.

He sounded selfless in talking about his fallen teammate and about his own patience in the two years since the Rams drafted Henderson out of Memphis in the third round of the 2019 draft.

It seemed then that he was the chosen successor to Todd Gurley. But after releasing Gurley in early 2020, the Rams turned around and drafted Akers from Florida State in that year’s second round. By the end of the 2020 season, Akers was the leader of a Rams running back group that then included veteran Malcolm Brown, even if Akers took the regular-season team rushing title by only a 625-624 margin over Henderson.

Before Akers tore an Achilles in an offseason workout, it was generally accepted that his surge to 645 yards and four touchdowns rushing in his last seven regular-season and playoff games had established him as the Rams’ No. 1 back going into this year.

This, even though by some measures Henderson was the Rams’ leading back over the whole of last season.

He made 11 regular-season starts, to Akers’ five. He averaged 4.5 yards per carry, to Akers’ 4.3. His 81 yards rushing plus 40 receiving against the Eagles in Week 2 and 114 plus 6 against the Bills in Week 3 were the best back-to-back production by a Rams back since Gurley in 2018.

Did Henderson intend to beat out Akers in training camp?

“We don’t think like that here,” Henderson said Friday at UCI. “We’re all a big family. We’re all ready for our opportunity, but we don’t look at it that way, that it’s all about competition.

“I was competing to be a better me, that’s it.”

What might Henderson be thinking, especially with the possibility of a trade or signing for reinforcements?

Steven Jackson, the franchise’s all-time leading rusher (10,138 yards from 2004-12), gave his impression during a break from signing autographs at Rams camp.

“In this opportunity he has right now, he not only has something to prove to himself, but he can prove to the organization that ‘You don’t need to look any further. I’m here,’” Jackson said.

The selfless tone from Henderson, who will turn 24 on Aug. 19, might reflect a change Rams coach Sean McVay says he has seen in the running back.

“He’s really maturing,” said McVay, who sees the requisite ball-carrying, pass-catching and blocking skills in that 5-foot-8, 208-pound package. “In year three, you can feel a nice confidence in himself.”

The challenge might be to keep Henderson healthy after last year was chopped up by hamstring, quadriceps and ankle problems.

“I think he’s got the ability, there’s no doubt about,” said McVay, who, barring an acquisition, must choose a No. 2 back from the untested group of Xavier Jones, Raymond Calais and rookie Jake Funk. “It’s really about figuring out what’s going to be, I don’t want to say pitch count, but the best way to utilize him and have the big picture in mind.”

In practice Friday, Henderson’s every successful run or reception drew cheers from fans at UCI who recognized the long hair that tickles down the “27” on his jersey and recognized his importance to the 2021 Rams.

Not since high school in Mississippi has Henderson been his team’s workhorse, since he split carries with other backs even at Memphis.

“At the next level it’s all about keeping running backs fresh,” Henderson said. “You get hit every play. You’ve got to be ready for it. You’ve got to prepare mentally.

“It’s on me, I’m ready for it.”

NOTES

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald and left tackle Andrew Whitworth didn’t practice Friday, the first this year of the “veteran days off” they have many weeks throughout training camp and the regular season. … The Rams had a shorter-than-usual jog-through practice. They’ll practice in pads for the first time Saturday. … Steven Jackson was one in a daily series of former Rams signing autographs at camp. Scheduled the next few practice days are Jackie Slater and Dennis Harrah (Saturday), Ivory Sully (Monday), Harold Jackson (Tuesday), and Fred Dryer and LeRoy Irvin (Wednesday).

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Henderson looks bigger this year.
1627740432644.png

1627740502638.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's be honest here, Darrell Henderson has talent, however, the last two years he's been derailed by injury and this year the Rams need him to play the majority of the season. I believe McVay will keep him fresh, but Henderson needs to showcase he can last a whole season even in that role.

Now, the question looms, what to the Rams have behind Henderson? Xavier Jones has some size at 5-11 210lbs & Jake Funk has the juice so maybe the Rams have enough behind Henderson. Preseason will give us an opportunity to see if the other RB's offer something before the Rams look into possibly trading for a back or picking one up off of waivers.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Need to see more dog in Darrel. I like the kid, and the family vibe is great, but make no mistake...... It's ALL about competition. Can't wait to see how our young RBs do in camp. Funk has dog in him, I know that. Hopefully it permeates to the others.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's be honest here, Darrell Henderson has talent, however, the last two years he's been derailed by injury and this year the Rams need him to play the majority of the season. I believe McVay will keep him fresh, but Henderson needs to showcase he can last a whole season even in that role.

Now, the question looms, what to the Rams have behind Henderson. Xavier Jones has some size at 5-11 210lbs & Jake Funk has the juice so maybe the Rams have enough behind Henderson. Preseason will give us an opportunity to see if the other RB's offer something before the Rams look into possibly trading for a back or picking one up off of waivers.

You nailed it, den.

I predict that Rams will give all their RB’s the acid test this camp. If one, or more, really impress then all is fine.

If not, then Rams will pursue other options outside the organization. But one way or another the Rams will surely have a good RB room for this SB run come September.

I’m gonna waste zero energy worrying about this because I believe that Rams are all over this.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The RB by committee will work with solid play by the OL. Let’s all hope for that!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no doubts about Henderson's talent. He's a guy that has the ability to score from anywhere. But I do have doubts about his ability to be a workhorse type back. He's had durability issues. The RB by committee is fine. But after Henderson we have late round or undrafted players with little to no experience. I would be more comfortable if they picked up an experienced vet who is durable enough to be the number two guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well to be fair re: Jones he also missed some time to injury in college. Had only 2 games played in 2016, and looks like he missed a couple in 2018. I don't consider him injury prone or anything but this is a big opportunity for the guy hope he's ready to take advantage.

dang

Legend
I like Henderson, am blindly optimistic on Jones and feel Funk will be a good ST add this year. I don’t want to see Henderson ground down early and not available at the end of the season so I have to believe a cut FA will be picked up. There will be some decent options after cuts and the Rams have time to evaluate and make THE right selection. No way will the Rams go into the regular season without solid depth and versatility at RB. It’s too important to the offensive balance.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
He's small for a RB, I hope he holds up through 17 games.
I wouldn't say he was small. He is definitely short at 5'8 but he weighs in close to 210.
I think of him more as a short bowling ball. Cam weighs about 217 but is 2 inches taller.
Not a whole lot of difference.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Funk will be a good ST add this year
Funk has been running with the ones at times wouldn't limit him to just ST duties.
He has looked good in camp.
We only have 3 backs on the roster big enough to pass protect and that is
Hendo, Jones and Funk
Still don't think we start week one without an addition to the RB room.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For where he was drafted Funk is having an outstanding camp. He looks like he is on his way to a roster spot and maybe more.

Still a ways to go and he has the health concerns of course but if they do hit on him the timing could not be better for that RB room.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I have no doubts about Henderson's talent. He's a guy that has the ability to score from anywhere. But I do have doubts about his ability to be a workhorse type back. He's had durability issues. The RB by committee is fine. But after Henderson we have late round or undrafted players with little to no experience. I would be more comfortable if they picked up an experienced vet who is durable enough to be the number two guy.
I like Henderson, and agree he is certainly talented, but... I liked him better paired with Akers no matter who was starting. Akers is more of an all purpose RB while Henderson seems like a one cut and burst guy. The contrast in styles would have created a lot of options. Not sure the running game will be quite as versatile now. We'll see if Henderson can prove me wrong.