Rams D will face short passing game/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams D will face short passing game
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11505/rams-d-should-expect-short-passing-game

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In search of ways to negate the St. Louis Rams' talented pass rush in the season opener, the Minnesota Vikings offered a basic yet effective game plan.

The idea was simple: ends Robert Quinn and Chris Long and defensive tackles Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers can't sack the quarterback if he doesn't have the ball. So Vikings quarterback Matt Cassel rarely took anything more than a three-step drop as he got the ball out quickly and efficiently all day long.

By the time the day was done, Cassel had dropped back to pass 26 times with 25 pass attempts. Of those 25 pass attempts, only three traveled 10 yards or further in the air, with the only completion going to receiver Greg Jennings for 18 yards. That means Cassel was 16-of-22 on throws of less than 10 yards for 152 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Of all 32 starting quarterbacks in week 1, Cassel averaged the fewest yards in the air per attempt, with each throw traveling just 4.36 yards in the air. It wasn't overly exciting, but it sure was effective.

"When you have a great pass rusher like we have with Robert on the edge, you are going to get stuff like that, so we have to be prepared for stuff like that all season," Brockers said.

Indeed, there's little reason to think that any team would willingly put its quarterback in harm's way. Along the way, the Rams certainly figure to play some teams with better lines, better quarterbacks and better receivers available to push the ball down the field. But in most cases, the Vikings offered a strong blueprint on how to run the ball and mix in the short passing game to have success against Gregg Williams' defense.

With Cassel getting the ball out so quickly, ESPN Stats & Information had the Rams down for just three disruptions on Cassel's 26 drop backs, with the lone sack coming from a missed snap exchange. Likewise, Cassel's average pass was coming out in just 2.24 seconds, fourth fastest in the league in week 1.

"We knew going in that we were going to be challenged with their rush, so I think that we were trying to slow that rush down throughout the course of the first half," Cassel said. "Obviously, we had our hiccups as an offensive unit, but all in all we made some big plays. We took advantage of some situations and like I said, any time the defense plays the way that they do, it usually goes pretty well for us altogether.”

For the Rams to rev the pass rush, they'll have to be more aggressive in coverage near the line of scrimmage and more aware of screens and quick dumpoffs as the weeks roll on. Teams around the NFL love to play copycat when something works, so until the Rams prove they can stop the short passing game, it's safe to assume other teams will continue to try it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Time for McDonald to lay some hits on these shorts passes. A couple of helmets flying back into the backfield will put an end to that non sense.

Irish

Starter
Time for McDonald to lay some hits on these shorts passes. A couple of helmets flying back into the backfield will put an end to that non sense.
Be careful what you wish for. I don't really want Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson running jump ball routes all game, either.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Be careful what you wish for. I don't really want Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson running jump ball routes all game, either.
I wasn't too impressed with what they did last week (I have VJ in one of my FF leagues) and if they start taking deep drops our pressure will get there.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This doesn't bother me. Who do they have that's a threat in a short passing game?

It might turn into one of those games where we allow yardage, but stiffen up in the red zone when off coverage won't cut it. They will probably target Gaines, as he's been playing more off the line. Janoris looked really tough in the first game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I mentioned this a few weeks ago, that teams knew all about the pass rush, and would be designing game plans to counter it, that included a ton of quick short throws. Not sure why this is a new flash.

The best way to counter act this sort of game plan, is to actually play with the lead, and force teams into being more one dimensional. But I don't expect the sack numbers to pile up as they have in previous years.

The short passing game, isn't the thing that beat this defense Sunday. It was missed tackles, and penalties.

If teams have to resort to this tactic to move the ball, it will bode well for the Rams defense. Provided they come up and tackle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think TB has a running game Like the Vikings, so let them have 150 yrds, passing, no TD's of course, and we'll kick-some-ass !

RamzFanz

Damnit
I mentioned this a few weeks ago, that teams knew all about the pass rush, and would be designing game plans to counter it, that included a ton of quick short throws. Not sure why this is a new flash.

The best way to counter act this sort of game plan, is to actually play with the lead, and force teams into being more one dimensional. But I don't expect the sack numbers to pile up as they have in previous years.

The short passing game, isn't the thing that beat this defense Sunday. It was missed tackles, and penalties.

If teams have to resort to this tactic to move the ball, it will bode well for the Rams defense. Provided they come up and tackle.

Half the penalties and Rams may have won considering the time of possession change.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Yep. Leave some tape behind as a reminder of the results of that scheme.

IMHO we need very aggressive coverage. Sticking their man, jumping routes, short passes can be a pick 6 wet dream.

Call me crazy (you won't be the first) but I like this matchup and expect the Rams will have settled down. I bet it all on the Rams with the spread.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Put Westbrooks next to Brockers rush with hands high ,move Donald out to end he's as fast as Long I think faster

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Nothing sounds good to me at the moment. I guess I should of been from Missouri, SHOW ME!