Rams D soft on opening drives, then adjusts. Why?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How much do the Rams score on their opening drives compared to the rest?

How much does the NFL average on opening drives and how does it compare?

Give us more info if you want to make a case otherwise these numbers you list don't have much to back them up for us to call them good or bad. I do find it interesting though that this is a thread instead of end of the half end of the game numbers :D
Another dismissive comment.

I’m sorry that you don’t understand simple statistics.

The comparison being discussed is the Rams’ defense on Drive 1 vs. All Drives.

If you have stats showing that most teams, like the Rams, give up a highly disproportionate number number of points on Drive 1, that would cut into the premise.

I eagerly await your first constructive comment.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Thanks for your dismissive comments. They do not change the fact that our average points allowed figure is nearly double on the first drive as compared to all drives, and the frequency of allowing a score is likewise significantly higher.

That is “actual information.”

It might not matter to you, and it’s not a “tragedy” in anyone’s eyes. Just something to discuss. You know…because this is a discussion board.

Thanks for stopping by.
It’s just got no greater context.

That’s where the criticism comes from. You glossed over that.

Ellard80

Legend
Four TD's in the first drive of only 11 games is top 3? That's very impressive.
Well, it should have been 5 Tds in 11 games if not for the bullshit overturn in the Bengals game... thats close to 50% of the games scoring a TD in the 1st possession.

The Rams have scored on their first possession 7-11 of the games this year.

Now I wouldn't argue the offense has been very good this year.

But I answered your question about the offense - it's actually one of the best on first drives.

But that didn't fit the narrative wanted to equate so you just going to stay in that bunker.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
What “greater context” are you looking for?
well.. it was in an @OldSchool post on here…

“How much do the Rams score on their opening drives compared to the rest?

How much does the NFL average on opening drives and how does it compare?”

Ellard80

Legend
What “greater context” are you looking for?
Yeah I'm not sure why the panties are getting so bunched on this one.

The defense has been better than expected this year without a doubt - great in some games.

But I have noticed the first drive thing as well - it's a good discussion question.

Ellard80

Legend

I answered that question - they are one of the best (scored on 7 of 11) drives.

I'm not even saying the offense has been good because it really hasn't.

But if that was supposed to be a gotcha comparison it failed.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Did you read the first post in this thread?

I identified a mathematically significant disparity in the Rams’ defensive stats and (for the purpose of fostering discussion) asked for explanations.

OldSchool’s question about the offense is irrelevant.

If someone wants to answer the question I posed by showing, via a comparison the Rams D to other teams, that the disparity I identified is common, great. I’d love to see those numbers.

It’s not my job prove or disprove that theory.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for your dismissive comments. They do not change the fact that our average points allowed figure is nearly double on the first drive as compared to all drives, and the frequency of allowing a score is likewise significantly higher.

That is “actual information.”

It might not matter to you, and it’s not a “tragedy” in anyone’s eyes. Just something to discuss. You know…because this is a discussion board.

Thanks for stopping by.
Not dismissive I wanted more information. Also if you notice the teams that scored a TD on us in the first drive Are SF Philly Cowboys Cardinals and Packers. Take the Cards (who just got their QB back) and Packers out and that's 3 of the 4 best teams in the NFC along with Detroit. It's not like we do it against everybody it's that the good teams have done it vs us.

Bolded that part because IMO that's a very very important distinction. The 3 teams that did it to us are 10-1 8-3 8-3. Also those are the top 3 teams in the NFC in scoring offense. To me I get it. Good teams score on the first drive of the game often with scripted drives. There is nothing in there that's dismissive sorry I wanted more information I will try not to do it again tonight.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I answered that question - they are one of the best (scored on 7 of 11) drives.

I'm not even saying the offense has been good because it really hasn't.

But if that was supposed to be a gotcha comparison it failed.
The complaint of the defense was giving up TD's the first drive. With that qualification we scored on 4 drives.

Ellard80

Legend
The complaint of the defense was giving up TD's the first drive. With that qualification we scored on 4 drives.
Looking at Avengers post - it was about pts per drive not TDs.

By the way ive made it clear - the defense has out performed the offense this year.

But if we are looking just at first drive metrics - thats one thing our offense has actually done well.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Not dismissive I wanted more information. Also if you notice the teams that scored a TD on us in the first drive Are SF Philly Cowboys Cardinals and Packers. Take the Cards (who just got their QB back) and Packers out and that's 3 of the 4 best teams in the NFC along with Detroit. It's not like we do it against everybody it's that the good teams have done it vs us.

Bolded that part because IMO that's a very very important distinction. The 3 teams that did it to us are 10-1 8-3 8-3. Also those are the top 3 teams in the NFC in scoring offense. To me I get it. Good teams score on the first drive of the game often with scripted drives. There is nothing in there that's dismissive sorry I wanted more information I will try not to do it again tonight.
1. The issue is POINTS allowed per opening drive, not TDs alone.

2. Dismissing 2 of the 5 teams (40%) who scored an opening drive TD and then drawing a conclusion isn’t math, it’s gerrymandering.

3. Your tone and choice of words was entirely dismissive, particularly in response to a thread that was simply intended to prompt discussion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at Avengers post - it was about pts per drive not TDs.
Fair enough, most of the time we consider forcing a FG instead of TD's a win. Also this whole question ties into the talent level on the defense which we've talked about a lot. One first rounder two third rounders and a bunch of 6th 7th and UDFA picks. Is it surprising that there are questions about our defense that they don't perform as well in all the metrics and other teams? Lets look at the Niners the best scoring D. Three 1st round picks starting three more backups are first round picks. Three more 3rd round picks starting and a 2nd round backup. The resources spent on defense is a huge difference.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. The issue is POINTS allowed per opening drive, not TDs alone.

2. Dismissing 2 of the 5 teams (40%) who scored an opening drive TD and then drawing a conclusion isn’t math, it’s gerrymandering.

3. Your tone and choice of words was entirely dismissive, particularly in response to a thread that was simply intended to prompt discussion.
As you wish.

Now that was dismissive. Also dismissing somebody's stats they post in a thread to gather further information because it doesn't jive with your opinion is also dismissive.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Oh, well.. for ME.. the first question is worthless and uninteresting without the league wide context.

So, no need for me to comment!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Another stat I was able to easily access…

The team that scores the most points per drive is SF at 2.82.

So… on average, the Rams allow less ppd: 1.89, but on opponents’ first drives, they are allowing more: 3.74.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Oh, well.. for ME.. the first question is worthless and uninteresting without the league wide context.

So, no need for me to comment!
I agree with that last sentence. :eyeroll:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
As you wish.

Now that was dismissive. Also dismissing somebody's stats they post in a thread to gather further information because it doesn't jive with your opinion is also dismissive.
You cut out 2 of 5 examples because they didn’t fit your narrative. That’s not how stats work.