Rams D ranking 2021 vs 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Rams had the top rated D in 2020.
I don't expect them to be anywhere close in 2021.

That said, it does not mean to me that the Rams D will be worse in 2021.

Statistically D's are helped by run first/conservative O's.
The Rams O will be less conservative and more aggressive in 2021.

For me, even if the Rams D is better in 2021 than 2020 they will be worse statiscally, based on offensive game plan.

Is this just me or do others feel the same way.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams had the top rated D in 2020.
I don't expect them to be anywhere close in 2021.

That said, it does not mean to me that the Rams D will be worse in 2021.

Statistically D's are helped by run first/conservative O's.
The Rams O will be less conservative and more aggressive in 2021.

For me, even if the Rams D is better in 2021 than 2020 they will be worse statiscally, based on offensive game plan.

Is this just me or do others feel the same way.

2018 playoff defense was better than 2020 playoff defense. Mainly due to injury to AD, but still.

I agree that they'll be statistically worse for sure - to be better overall we need to stay strong against the run and another pass rusher has to emerge.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think the basic change in philosophy between Staley and Morris will change the rankings. I think Morris will opt for a more stop the run on early-down emphasis than Staley and perhaps be a bit more conservative with his defensive calls. Why? Because of how good I expect the offense to play. Once the Rams start opening a lead then Morris will have the dogs to turn loose, but it will affect the rankings.

Personally, be damned with the rankings. It's all about wins vs losses. I think Morris is good enough to have a top 5 defense and IMO that's going to be good enough for a SB win and that's all that matters. With David Long looking good in OTAs it really opens up Morris' options. David Long IMO is a far better CB than Troy Hill. He can play man or zone, inside or boundary. If Morris opts to disguise his coverage the offense won't know who is covering the boundary and who will be SCB on any given play. With his depth at safety, Morris can disguise his zone vs man coverages. That is what roster depth does for a coordinator.

I expect the offense to return to its 2018 form and be a dominating force forcing offenses to play catchup. I expect the secondary to have their INT opportunities and this secondary has some real ballhawks. The Rams were able to simply rush 4 on most occasions and get pressure. They are returning the same basic front 4 of Floyd, AD, Robinson, and Lewis/Hollins. They have two excellent boundary CBs and equally good safeties. People make a lot of their ILB situation but both Reeder and Young have been underrated in their roles. Reeder was in his first starting year, so I expect a step up in his play. Morris will have enough depth to play a dime instead of a nickel with a 3rd safety and CB. That 3rd safety can basically play as the MO ILB.

If this secondary plays as expected the Rams will be a hard team to pass against. That is why I expect Morris to emphasize early-down run D as that was the weakness in Staley's pass-first scheme. This would account for his wanting the Browns and Jones in the draft. I think these guys are a year or two from starting roles, but they can contribute spot snaps if they show enough in the preseason.

This team is primed for a SB run and I really expect them to holding the Lombardi next year.

Ram65

Legend
The best defense is a great offense. The Rams offense is going to step it up a couple of notches if not more this year.

McVay likes those chunk plays which can generate some fast scoring. I'm hoping and thinking he mixes in a more grinding offense now that he has Stafford who will be able to make more plays than Goff did. A second-year Akers with added WR speed and this offense will be able to do it all. They will produce both on the ground and in the air. An improved ball control offense would help the defense a lot as well as getting an early lead.

I see the defense picking up right where they left off last year. Rankings aren't that important. It's being able to stop offenses when you have to that counts the most. Did you see the Robinson presser. He is ready to step up and help AD as well as the rest of the defensive players. I don't see losing JJ, Hill, Fox and Brockers as a major negative. Big A Robinson talked about his change in commitment to losing weight while changing his diet to be in great shape. Rapp looks bigger. Fuller, Burgess, Gaines, SJD, and the others have a year's more experience. The Rams will have good competition for playing time which brings out the best in players. Morris will build on what Staley started. It's going to be a great defense again this year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@fearsomefour has posted some astute concerns going to Raheem Morris as DC as Morris really has not had success being an actual DC because they only time he's held that title at the NFL level is with the Atlanta Falcons and his defense struggled continuously.

Now in fairness, Morris was only the DC for one year in Atlanta because in 2019, when Quinn made changes, he allowed Morris to run the defense and they played much better, but 2020 is the only time Morris held the title of "Defensive Coordinator" at the NFL level and it's obvious the Falcons struggled until Morris took over as Head Coach, however, as posted earlier, was that more Jeff Ulbrich or because Raheem Morris was now calling the shots overall?

Big year for Morris because if successful, he could lay the groundwork for becoming a Head Coach again, in fact, I could see the Las Vegas Raiders if they cut ties with Gruden, hiring someone like Morris, but overall I feel good about Morris and believe he will be up to the challenge. One thing I love about McVay is, that if an assistant coach is not carrying his weight, he'll make a change and he does not promote friends, otherwise Joe Barry would be defensive coordinator.

dang

Legend
I expect a lot of rotation this year due to the 17 game season and to keep more players fresh at the end of the regular season. I won’t count on any rookies contributing majorly so any variance would be a pleasant surprise. I expect the Rams defense to start out slowly but improve throughout the season. In order to do that The Rams need to figure out a nickelback (Long, Rochelle), find more QB pressure from the DL (outside of Donald) and improve the play at ILB (Reeder, Young, Howard). Cautiously optimistic at this point in the preseason.

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
Well our O did not help the D much in 2020, especially by the end of the year. I believe the Rams had more offensive turnovers and more drives end in punts than any other playoff team.

May be more aggressive in 2021 but hope that would result in more big plays and more scoring, giving the D opportunity to defend a lead. Hopefully special teams improve also and the Rams can do better in field position.

Rams rankings might dip a little but considering reasonable health, they should still be one of the top defensive units, statistically and by other measures.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
because Raheem Morris was now calling the shots overall?
Great point. I think it was This^^.
Don't think Morris ever had full control of that defense, until he was HC.
Morris being a DC in Atlanta was equivalent to being a OC under McVay.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Our ‘new’ O and ‘new’ D will help each other in many ways.

This is just a thumbnail sketch, but here goes…

With Stafford, DJ, and Atwell there will be more chunk plays and more scoring.

Stafford should have fewer turnovers than Goff did.

Corbett at C should be an upgrade over Blythe and that also helps scoring and TOP.

If Harris keeps ascending then I can’t imagine the added stress on the opposing D.

Akers will be in his 2nd season with greater mastery on pass pro and pass receiving, something that Stafford loves.

This is looking like a potential top 5 O and I may be underestimating them, at that.

All the above makes the job of the D so much easier.

Meanwhile, I suspect that Morris will emphasize stopping the run a bit more than Staley did which will force opponents to make more and riskier throws into the talented Ram secondary. Not a situation they want to be in, trust me.

I don’t think Brockers will be missed much and Hill not much either. Their replacements are already on the team. Even JJ had his limitations and Burgess should be a more than adequate replacement.

In short, I expect a top 5 D, maybe better.

Lastly, let’s don’t overlook the likely improved ST in all phases over the ‘20 versions. I think it’s gonna be night and day improved, frankly. And vastly improved ST will help both the O and the D immensely.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The offense will be way better than 17/18 ppg. The defense lost only one key piece imo JJ3 and that was a big piece. I expect the defense still to be top 5 bcour secondary imo is the best or top 2 in football.

What scares me is when we lost Saffoldthe OL was never the same I hope this is not the case with Jj3.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, I am totally all alone in here in thinking the loss of J.J., Brockers, Fox and Hill is not going to be detrimental to this defense next year.

dang

Legend
So, I am totally all alone in here in thinking the loss of J.J., Brockers, Fox and Hill is not going to be detrimental to this defense next year.
i think the Rams have replacements for Brock and Hill on the field already in Robinson and Long. Replacements for Fox and Johnson remain to be seen. Johnson and Brock were big leaders on the defense so someone has step up in leadership role (hello SJD and Fuller).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
No, you’re not alone, Juice.

I’m of the opinion that the Rams can survive the loss of those 4 players mentioned quite nicely. None were irreplaceable, in fact, their respective replacements are already on the roster.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Last year we had no idea how good Staley would be and McVay's confidence in Morris is genuine. I posted my belief that McVay moved on from Wade because he wanted to be more involved in how the defense was developed and I believe that will carry over again this year.

Every year fans get hyped in the offseason and that's fine but we will know more after we play the Colts and Bucs.

fearsomefour

Legend
@fearsomefour has posted some astute concerns going to Raheem Morris as DC as Morris really has not had success being an actual DC because they only time he's held that title at the NFL level is with the Atlanta Falcons and his defense struggled continuously.

Now in fairness, Morris was only the DC for one year in Atlanta because in 2019, when Quinn made changes, he allowed Morris to run the defense and they played much better, but 2020 is the only time Morris held the title of "Defensive Coordinator" at the NFL level and it's obvious the Falcons struggled until Morris took over as Head Coach, however, as posted earlier, was that more Jeff Ulbrich or because Raheem Morris was now calling the shots overall?

Big year for Morris because if successful, he could lay the groundwork for becoming a Head Coach again, in fact, I could see the Las Vegas Raiders if they cut ties with Gruden, hiring someone like Morris, but overall I feel good about Morris and believe he will be up to the challenge. One thing I love about McVay is, that if an assistant coach is not carrying his weight, he'll make a change and he does not promote friends, otherwise Joe Barry would be defensive coordinator.
Your comments (along with some others) having me feeling more sure. Min fairness to Morris I questioned (I think it is always good to question) the hiring of Staley.
If the hiring of Staley was just bringing in a friend of McVays who wouldn’t question him.
I was 100% off with that concern. Even though it was a legit concern.
Just as I’ve grown to trust Snead on draft day I am learning to trust McVay and the FO with their hiring processes.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think top ten, possibly top 5. If the offense improves into the upper half with Stafford I think it will only improve the Defensive ranking.

MauiRam

Rookie
Well our O did not help the D much in 2020, especially by the end of the year. I believe the Rams had more offensive turnovers and more drives end in punts than any other playoff team.

May be more aggressive in 2021 but hope that would result in more big plays and more scoring, giving the D opportunity to defend a lead. Hopefully special teams improve also and the Rams can do better in field position.

Rams rankings might dip a little but considering reasonable health, they should still be one of the top defensive units, statistically and by other measures.
I don't keep track of the stats that closely. But there is one thing that must be improved. Strong defenses pretty much dared us to run the ball when they shut down our short passing game. This year we should be able to run the ball with success with our revamped line (given the threat of our speedy new playmakers getting loose behind those Ds), our defense will be on the field less. Any D can be gassed if their O can't stay on the field. Whether it's 3 & outs, or turnovers, those things add up quickly and obviously tend to have a demoralizing effect on a D.

I think the basic change in philosophy between Staley and Morris will change the rankings. I think Morris will opt for a more stop the run on early-down emphasis than Staley and perhaps be a bit more conservative with his defensive calls. Why? Because of how good I expect the offense to play. Once the Rams start opening a lead then Morris will have the dogs to turn loose, but it will affect the rankings.

I hope this is true. We got gashed pretty good at times on early downs - the whiners come to mind. It's a lot easier to convert if you can run it up the gut for 7 or 8 or more with a modicum of consistency. I would love it if Morris will "opt for a more stop the run on early downs" One thing that should help too is that this year we have several players that can literally take the top of a defense and catch the ball. We lacked that ability last year. No wonder Sean is in a better mood ..... Oh yah, our Qb will be making quicker reads too ..

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we need to play the run better up front. Packers took advantage through scheme by motioning Reeder out and ran it down our throats. Rams drafted two DL who are good run stuffers. But how long will it take for all those new pieces to gel. And I don't trust Robinson though it sounds like this year is gonna be the good version.

Morris is poised for a huge season if he is up to snuff. Fantastic all around coach but we need elite DC work from him this year. So some unknowns all around.

I do feel like we have a perfect storm coming. Real chance for 3 phases to all be top 10 maybe even top 5 units. So that makes up for my concerns to a great extent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

i think the Rams have replacements for Brock and Hill on the field already in Robinson and Long. Replacements for Fox and Johnson remain to be seen. Johnson and Brock were big leaders on the defense so someone has step up in leadership role (hello SJD and Fuller).

I think we’ve planned well for their departures.

I feel good about our coverage for Brockers… Depth on the back of this defense is my bigger concern, S and CB. But, even there I feel we have guys ready... they just need to prove it.