Rams create $10mil in cap space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In Jourdan’s last podcast she said that the Rams activity at the trade deadline will depend on how the team looks and if McVay feels that a trade will improve their chances to make the playoffs. However if they are not looking very good, then it’s not likely that they will be active in the trade market this fall.
<paraphrased>

So, there is a chance that the Rams could be making space just in case.

She also mentioned Danielle Hunter’s name a few times, saying the Vikings are much more motivated to move him this season, unlike last season and that the Rams had interest last year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You dont create "wiggle room" in June in the event you want to make a deal at the trade deadline.
Does this mean they will make a move? No, but it sure puts them in a position to *if* a player becomes available in the meantime who they would like to add
It wouldnt surprise me if they have their eye on somebody right now

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In Jourdan’s last podcast she said that the Rams activity at the trade deadline will depend on how the team looks and if McVay feels that a trade will improve their chances to make the playoffs. However if they are not looking very good, then it’s not likely that they will be active in the trade market this fall.
<paraphrased>

She also mentioned Danielle Hunter’s name a few times, saying the Vikings are much more motivated to move him this season, unlike last season and that the Rams had interest last year.
Danielle Hunter is a dude, but he's getting up there in age.

We all know I'm a dumbass, so I'd much rather take a cheaper flier on someone like Chase Young. Fits our youth movement more.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Does unused cap space carry over the the next year? I thought that was the case. If so, OL this is just a “in case” thing for if a Longterm guy becomes available before the TDL - and if he doesn’t, then it rolls to 2024 and no worries. I hope that is the cap rule.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does unused cap space carry over the the next year? I thought that was the case. If so, OL this is just a “in case” thing for if a Longterm guy becomes available before the TDL - and if he doesn’t, then it rolls to 2024 and no worries. I hope that is the cap rule.

sounds feasible.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Exactly right T’s.

Unused cap dollars roll over, space now or space later.

I think Jourdan’s quote sort of confirms this gives us flexibility if we need it. I always thought we’d add a dude or two from June cuts to fill out the roster once we saw the draft picks and UDFA’s a little.

<paraphrased>

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You dont create "wiggle room" in June in the event you want to make a deal at the trade deadline.
Does this mean they will make a move? No, but it sure puts them in a position to *if* a player becomes available in the meantime who they would like to add
It wouldnt surprise me if they have their eye on somebody right now
I could see a move IF that player would also be a player they can see being apart of the team in 24' & 25'.

dang

Legend
Rookie contracts and a few million in breathing room for season if that.
Rookie contracts pretty much replace bottom of top 51. Only exception would be Avila. I think there are putting themselves in position for something else perhaps before trade deadline.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rookie contracts pretty much replace bottom of top 51. Only exception would be Avila. I think there are putting themselves in position for something else perhaps before trade deadline.

but didn't the rams have only 44 players signed before the draft? that's 7 rookies added onto the cap.

oldnotdead

Legend
The draft picks aren't really under contract in terms of being on the roster in OTAs. They are practicing under the same base agreement given to the UDFAs. They needed to clear cap space to sign them. That is what they can now do. That $750K is just for the OTAs. Avila, Johnson, Taylor and Evans are the only rookies actually signed.

dang

Legend
but didn't the rams have only 44 players signed before the draft? that's 7 rookies added onto the cap.

I’m no cap expert but Spotrac indicates Rams have $13.7m cap space with the Kupp move. That includes Avila and Johnson signed. So minus about $1.2m if they sign all other rookies and higher than their bottom 12 of the 51. That leaves about $12.5m. Sounds like decent room to move a bit. But no hurry I’m sure.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah but reclassifying salary-to-bonus creates cap space short term, while decreasing cap space long term.

The Rams created $12M of cap space in 2022 by converting much of Leonard Floyd's salary-to-bonus. That helped last year but Floyd is on-the-books this year for $19M of Dead-$. Some of that is because of the conversion last year.

A by-product of this Kupp salary-to-bonus conversion is that whatever the Rams' 2024 cap space was yesterday, it's less today. Some of the re-classified money, although paid and received in 2023, will now hit the Rams' 2024 salary cap.

Then in the long term they'll modify their workbooks again. Over and over again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3htOCjafTc

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Then in the long term they'll modify their workbooks again. Over and over again.
And have $75M in Dead-$ ... over and over again? ...
desperate-screaming-man-hopeless-expression-39498869.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Danielle Hunter is a dude, but he's getting up there in age.

We all know I'm a dumbass, so I'd much rather take a cheaper flier on someone like Chase Young. Fits our youth movement more.
Young has had 1.5 sacks in the 12 games that he was healthy. Plus he will be a free agent next offseason.

A little vet leadership wouldn’t hurt on a young team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They don't need $10M for the rookie class as most of that class won't even fall in the top 51 salaries. And outside of Avila, those that do, won't be much higher than the guys they are replacing in the top 51.

So I doubt the rookie class adds more than $3M to the existing cap number, if that.

Apparently, we've already signed Avila, Young and Turner, so that would put us at 47 iirc not including UDFAs, so it may be less than $3M if the UDFAs are included for that 51 player threshold.

Either way, this move isn't a move to clear cap for another player. This team is gonna play conservatively this year with depth seeing as they got schooled hard on that last season with historic levels of injuries to multiple units.