Rams @ Cowboys: Gray's Grades on the Dallas Debacle- 101ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

In the first installment of my debut series entitled “Gray’s Grades,” I will be evaluating the performances of the St. Louis Rams’ positional units against the Dallas Cowboys. Unfortunately, the grades coming within the inaugural edition of the new column will largely be abysmal after the debacle at Dallas that saw St. Louis fall 31-7 and drop to 1-2 on the young 2013 campaign.

Quarterback

It was tough to grade Sam Bradford’s performance on Sunday due to the fact that he was under siege on the vast majority of pass plays. On many occasions, the pressure came both quickly and from multiple defenders.

There are many games when quarterbacks find themselves under some occasional pressure, but the heat Bradford battled was of an extreme variety on Sunday. In sacks alone, No. 8 was brought down six times. He was hit on at least eight occasions. In terms of hurries, I lost count.

On the afternoon, Bradford connected on 29 of 48 passes for a completion mark of just over 60 percent in spite of having at least four catchable throws dropped. He finished with one touchdown, 240 passing yards and a rating of 80.2.

Although the protection was pitiful for most of the game, the Rams’ fourth-year quarterback made his fair share of mistakes, too.

(Hope each of you will enjoy the full column below. Thank you for reading):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/24/rams-cowboys-grays-grades-dallas-debacle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/24/ram ... s-debacle/</a>

RamzFanz

Damnit
Re: Rams @ Cowboys: Gray's Grades on the Dallas Debacle- 101

I thought he was hard on Bradford's grade but pretty much agree with the rest especially the coaching.

Outside of this forum, I can't find anyone who believes this coaching scheme has any hope. The opinion is nearly universal. I only put "nearly" to allow for a margin of error. I actually haven't found any NFL professional in any capacity that believes in what the coaches are doing (barring the Jeff Fisher show for obvious reasons).

Does anyone have any link to any NFL professional in any capacity that isn't related to or endowed by the Rams organization that feels the coaching and schemes have been good? Even average?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

:clap:

Bravo!

I normally find report cards (or those making them) too afraid to go to the extremes. I like this scorecard Shane! You look at it and it's pretty clear where the work lies.

You resisted taking one tidbit of good play and softening the overall result of the units you evaluated. Kudos.

My only question is; where's the F-? :lmao:

duckhunter

Starter

Most times, I see grades, I go puke. But these I agree. We got our arses handed to us and the grades should reflect that.

Here's to hoping for As on Thursday although I know nothing what the coaches or team is going to do.

Seems like a flection point has been reached.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

McLeod had an awful day.

I thought we had more like 5 or 6 drops.

I don't fully agree with all the grades, but mine wouldn't be too different than yours.

In the first half alone, Bradford was pressured on 63% of his drop backs.

Just ouch, overall.

TexasRam

Legend

Witten didnt have 3 rec for 12 yards receiving. He had 5 for 67. And they were critical pickups.

The Rest looks fairly accurate. Laurinaitus was horrible in this game fighting through blocks.

RamzFanz

Damnit

duckhunter said:
Most times, I see grades, I go puke. But these I agree. We got our arses handed to us and the grades should reflect that.

Here's to hoping for As on Thursday although I know nothing what the coaches or team is going to do.

Flection Point?

Flexion point

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In obstetrics, the term flexion point refers to a spot on the fetal head on which the cup of a ventouse should to be placed for extraction of the child to be most effective.
When the cup of the ventouse is applied on the flexion point, the fetal head will remain flexed under traction, hence the name "flexion point".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RamzFanz said:
duckhunter said:

Flection Point?

Flexion point

In obstetrics, the term flexion point refers to a spot on the fetal head on which the cup of a ventouse should to be placed for extraction of the child to be most effective.
When the cup of the ventouse is applied on the flexion point, the fetal head will remain flexed under traction, hence the name "flexion point".
INflection point.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TexasRam said:
Witten didnt have 3 rec for 12 yards receiving. He had 5 for 67. And they were critical pickups.

The Rest looks fairly accurate. Laurinaitus was horrible in this game fighting through blocks.

I appreciate you pointing this out, TexasRam. My gut told me something was funky with the official stats earlier today. I knew he had more receptions than three but those were the numbers published. They may have been updated since then.

Thanks again for that. JL had a tough game, no doubt.

(I will try to respond to the other posts tomorrow morning).

RamzFanz

Damnit

X said:
RamzFanz said:
duckhunter said:

Flection Point?

Flexion point

INflection point.

Ahhh, thanks X.

You know, now that I think about it though, I like flection point better. Maybe weve found the spot on the head to birth this baby. Lots of blood and screaming, but in the end, we have a new beautiful team.

That deserves two Rams' bouncy:

bouncysig_zps2955717a.gif

bouncysig_zps2955717a.gif

(I would have given three if it had been intentional)

duckhunter

Starter

X is right.

In the context that I used 'flection' as bending to the point of breaking or taking a new direction or changing the arc of curve , inflection point is the correct phrase.

For those of us holding aspirations of the Rams going to the playoffs, a loss tomorrow puts a metallic snap in that thought. A win puts us in the 'Rams are for Real' category around the league.

Of note, though, old dictionaries and this old Ram fan uses flexion and flection as interchangeable. There is not much modern about me except the light bulbs I use.

ShaneG

Starter

RamzFanz said:
I thought he was hard on Bradford's grade but pretty much agree with the rest especially the coaching.

Outside of this forum, I can't find anyone who believes this coaching scheme has any hope. The opinion is nearly universal. I only put "nearly" to allow for a margin of error. I actually haven't found any NFL professional in any capacity that believes in what the coaches are doing (barring the Jeff Fisher show for obvious reasons).

Does anyone have any link to any NFL professional in any capacity that isn't related to or endowed by the Rams organization that feels the coaching and schemes have been good? Even average?

As for Bradford's grade, Bernie gave him a tougher one. I thought mine was fair but I can understand where you disagree based on all the factors.

I think part of the scheme, especially on defense, is being used to protect the young safety duo. At this point, however, changing it up can't do much worse. They are already dead last in the NFL on 3rd down D. It's not working so it needs to be adjusted ASAP.

On offense, Schottenheimer really needs to mix it up more and show more imagination. Obviously, the run game needs to be more productive, too.

ShaneG

Starter

CGI_Ram said:
:clap:

Bravo!

I normally find report cards (or those making them) too afraid to go to the extremes. I like this scorecard Shane! You look at it and it's pretty clear where the work lies.

You resisted taking one tidbit of good play and softening the overall result of the units you evaluated. Kudos.

My only question is; where's the F-? :lmao:

Thank you, CGI_Ram. I really appreciate the feedback, especially considering it is the first one.

The F- question game me a good laugh. :) There were some units deserving of the grade.

ShaneG

Starter

DR RAM said:
McLeod had an awful day.

I thought we had more like 5 or 6 drops.

I don't fully agree with all the grades, but mine wouldn't be too different than yours.

In the first half alone, Bradford was pressured on 63% of his drop backs.

Just ouch, overall.

Ouch overall indeed, Dr. Ram. McLeod had his issues but the 7 tackles were significant. I think I said at least 4 but I do believe you are correct. Hope you are well.

RamzFanz

Damnit

ShaneG said:
As for Bradford's grade, Bernie gave him a tougher one. I thought mine was fair but I can understand where you disagree based on all the factors.

I think part of the scheme, especially on defense, is being used to protect the young safety duo. At this point, however, changing it up can't do much worse. They are already dead last in the NFL on 3rd down D. It's not working so it needs to be adjusted ASAP.

On offense, Schottenheimer really needs to mix it up more and show more imagination. Obviously, the run game needs to be more productive, too.

Earnedabouncy_zpsb9db9ea5.gif

iced

don't get where the defense has gone and why it still hasnt been fixed

additionally, i find it interesting last year we were a 1st and 4th quarter team, then better in the 3rd.. this year,its only 2nd half

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

I just now got a chance to read this so sorry for the delay.

While you did your usual great job of analysis, I find your grade on the RBs to be...a head scratcher.

If you're going to give the O-line an F for, among other things, their incredibly bad run blocking, how can you fairly grade the RBs? Which RBs do you think would have fared better running behind our O-line? I would have given them a grade of "to be determined" or incomplete. :lol:

nighttrain

Legend

ShaneG said:
RamzFanz said:

On offense, Schottenheimer really needs to mix it up more and show more imagination. Obviously, the run game needs to be more productive, too
Boudreaux needs to fix this offensive line, I cant understand both lines being so incredibly terrible. Spot on critique though
train

ShaneG

Starter

albefree69 said:
I just now got a chance to read this so sorry for the delay.

While you did your usual great job of analysis, I find your grade on the RBs to be...a head scratcher.

If you're going to give the O-line an F for, among other things, their incredibly bad run blocking, how can you fairly grade the RBs? Which RBs do you think would have fared better running behind our O-line? I would have given them a grade of "to be determined" or incomplete. :lol:

I certainly see your point. But 35 rushing yards isn't good enough, bad blocking or not. I had to provide a grade and even if we stood five chairs out there in front our our backs, we have to find a way to get more than 35 yards on the ground.

Thanks as always for the comments my friend.