Rams Coverage rates from last year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm gonna place there's here just for the edification of the board. The Rams do not play Tampa-2, Tampa-2 really isn't played much at all any more, at least, I can't think of a team that runs it right now. Cover-2, sure. But not Tampa-2. Tampa-2 is basically a 3 deep zone but the middle LB takes the middle deep 3rd, the last team to really do that was Chicago with Urlacher.

Last year we ran more Cover-4 (or Quarters) than any other team in the league which jives with this lineage of defense and spent a ton of time in Cover-3 (with the safety spun down). I'm sure there was a bunch of Cover 6 as that's a base Fangio coverage too but Bowen didn't track that. All of these coverage can be straight zone or be used in conjunction with man-match technique.

View: https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1590527734715121664

View: https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1590522808290799617

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I'm gonna place there's here just for the edification of the board. The Rams do not play Tampa-2, Tampa-2 really isn't played much at all any more, at least, I can't think of a team that runs it right now. Cover-2, sure. But not Tampa-2. Tampa-2 is basically a 3 deep zone but the middle LB takes the middle deep 3rd, the last team to really do that was Chicago with Urlacher.

This is great thanks

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cover nobody on 3rd Downs - Rams 100%

Hahahaha. I think it was in one of Jourdan's pieces that basically said that a huge problem we had last year wasn't even so much the technique of playing off but that our players weren't fast enough to come from playing off to break on the ball when it got there. S'why we got all these speedy guys but sadly, since we were picking later in the draft, we kinda had to choose between speed and size and couldn't have both.

oldnotdead

Legend
It was the way Morris had the entire defense playing, i.e. read / react which is why I've been saying they were caught flat footed. If you are going to play zone you need to read and anticipate the break at the top of the route to be able to jump it. When you read/react you are always a step or more slow. That is why the DL looked so bad, especially Donald. Morris took away his most important tool his natural aggression with his incredible explosiveness. So what happens, he gets hurt because now he's taking the punishment and not dishing it out.

It wasn't just the secondary it was how the entire defense was being coached. People think I'm making this shit up but when even Jourdan is reporting it than it's fucking obvious. I know what I see and I see a complete lack of aggressiveness in the entire defense. Morris has them playing a passive style because he's fucking afraid of the big play but look how many they still gave up (remember Deebo's short pass and long run)? People accuse me of being too hard on Morris but they either don't see it or turn a blind eye to what's happening to a #1 defense crashing to #19 in just two years. With all the stars they had on the defense there is zero excuse for that, you simply can't blame the players like Ramsey who looked foolish at times struggling to play in such a passive style. Why do you think guys like Miller, Wagner and Ramsey wanted out? They could see their talents were being wasted playing for Morris. IMO teams aren't blind and when stars start asking to be out or not resigning you know there is a problem and IMO it's why Raheem was simply a token interview. Remember Miller was offered as much or more by the Rams to stay but he made up a BS story why he left. Now listen to what he's saying about playing out his career in Buffalo. Why do you think Wagner went back to Seattle? Three coincidences? Yeah sure.

The difference between me and those who laugh at me is I see it for what it is and say it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So, Sean McVay.... Arguably the greatest Rams coach in history....a guy who pours over hundreds of hours of game film and shares fields and meeting rooms with Morris.......somehow doesn't see it?

Look, I don't think anyone was happy with the soft shell the Rams played a lot of last season. However, I still trust McVay and co to know what they are doing more than anyone outside the building.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

The difference between me and those who laugh at me is I see it for what it is and say it.

Yes but you have said 'Tampa 2' a lot.

Except for your Rob Havenstein takes, I don't think posters laugh at you as much as we push-back; and, I think it's because you often state your opinions as facts. I think that's the 'difference'.

In the case of Havenstein, you don't think much of him. That's OK. However, you have insisted the Rams Would move-on from him every season for the past 5 years ... even right after the Rams signed him to an extension.

You don't post that you Think the Rams Should move on from Havenstein, or that you Wish they Would move-on. You consistently post that they Will move-on.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I often like reading your posts.

Now, that @Loyal guy ... he's a trouble-maker.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Last year we ran more Cover-4 (or Quarters) than any other team in the league which jives with this lineage of defense and spent a ton of time in Cover-3 (with the safety spun down). I'm sure there was a bunch of Cover 6 as that's a base Fangio coverage too but Bowen didn't track that. All of these coverage can be straight zone or be used in conjunction with man-match technique.

So, according to the above material, the Rams were the only team in the NFL, in the top-5 for playing Cover 3 and Cover 4 ... and did so on a combined 62% of the time. Not surprising. Disappointing but no surprise.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Does anyone understand where the "STAR" position comes into play here?

I've heard so much about it, but don't understand how it fits into coverage schemes...

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

I've heard so much about it, but don't understand how it fits into coverage schemes...
I have this question too. But I do remember Jourdan talking about it on that recent podcast series (forget the name) and how NFL Ds have evolved beyond the traditional structures we're used to describing them with.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

Pretty much Ramsey moved around and played zone at different spots within the coverage so they can't gameplan against one side of the field.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I read or heard somewhere that both McVay and Morris were just as frustrated as we were with the easy 7 yard pitch and catches the defense gave up. That Morris wants to devise ways to get the front 7 more aggressive. Will we see a change this year? Or will he continue with the soft coverage in order to prevent the youngsters from getting beat deep?

I also remember hearing something about that last year. That he had to play that way because he wanted to protect the inexperienced guys from giving up big plays.

When the defense was playing well enough it sure seemed like offenses were picking up a lot of first downs with the big cushions. But at the end of 60 minutes they didn't score as much as you would expect. More field goals than touchdowns. I guess that is what bend don't break wants to do.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Pretty much Ramsey moved around and played zone at different spots within the coverage so they can't gameplan against one side of the field.
Star typically is a hybrid linebacker/coverage player. Ramsey played it cause he was so physical and such a good tackler. Star is somewhere in between a nickel back and a LB. It's why we even had Rapp playing there at times.

Also, Ramsey had some leeway to freelance but I think that was more of a us allowing him thing than a "star" thing.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, according to the above material, the Rams were the only team in the NFL, in the top-5 for playing Cover 3 and Cover 4 ... and did so on a combined 62% of the time. Not surprising. Disappointing but no surprise.
Curious, what's the disappointing part for you about that stat?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I read or heard somewhere that both McVay and Morris were just as frustrated as we were with the easy 7 yard pitch and catches the defense gave up. That Morris wants to devise ways to get the front 7 more aggressive. Will we see a change this year? Or will he continue with the soft coverage in order to prevent the youngsters from getting beat deep?

I also remember hearing something about that last year. That he had to play that way because he wanted to protect the inexperienced guys from giving up big plays.

When the defense was playing well enough it sure seemed like offenses were picking up a lot of first downs with the big cushions. But at the end of 60 minutes they didn't score as much as you would expect. More field goals than touchdowns. I guess that is what bend don't break wants to do.

Yes, remember when Williams was with us? One of his strengths was playing from depth and breaking fast enough to either knock the ball away or intercept the ball. One of the things our guys were missing last year was speed (even with Ramsey who was slowing down).

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Star typically is a hybrid linebacker/coverage player. Ramsey played it cause he was so physical and such a good tackler. Star is somewhere in between a nickel back and a LB. It's why we even had Rapp playing there at times.

Also, Ramsey had some leeway to freelance but I think that was more of a us allowing him thing than a "star" thing.
It has been reported that Durant is learning "star" but he's not close to having the build or physicality of a linebacker, or even Ramsey.