Rams could make changes on offense following disappointing 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If you sign Scherff your counting on a LT to be there in the draft. Plus it will be to expensive. I agree on Corbett sticking next to LT Whitworth.

Center is the question mark. What about Allen’s health.? Blythe could be brought back ?

Free agency is still over a month away, hopefully the Rams have a better understanding of Noteboom's prognosis and an approximate return date by that time. As i've mentioned a few times before, if Noteboom is only likely to miss a couple early games next season, then I believe the Rams could get by without re-signing Whitworth, but it gets a little more complicated if it appears he'll miss half the season or more.
Last year 4 OT's went in the 2'nd round and another 4 went in the 3'rd round. I also believe the 2020 draft is at least as deep as it was at OT in 2019, so yes, I do expect a quality OT to be available where we pick if we have the two 2'nd round choices earlier discussed.
From what I understand, Allen's injury is nowhere near as serious as that of Noteboom's, and I expect his healthy return for OTA's. I'm not currently in favor of extending Blythe, I believe the Rams will allow him to seek his value thru free agency and are not apt to match the offer.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think what's important to remember here is that we don't have an OL roster full of diamonds in the rough. They're not all going to become starters or even primary depth options for us. Some of them won't be on the roster next season in fact if the Rams approach the OL aggressively this offseason.

As fans we tend to inflate depth players and futures possibilities. Some of these guys are going to be core pieces certainly. But others certainly won't. Even a guy like Corbett who I am relatively high on in terms of how the Rams went and got him midseason, I am not sure he's a starter. I don't think it's wise or healthy to pencil him in anywhere this early in the offseason let alone get too crazy with some of the other board favorites on the depth chart.

This is a Super Bowl contending roster. That is the mindset. They certainly need to develop and allow some guys to develop on that OL. But they don't have time to fuck around. Guys need to be close to starter level to really be in the mix in 2020. There is no way they risk the line looking like dogshit again. So by example looking at Center they will not accept Allen vs Corbett. They probably won't go with Allen vs Corbett/Blythe either for that matter. If they've been paying attention to Blythe and what he does that is (which is play well until he gets a job then he gets exposed).

They can bring Whit back and even Blythe but how much would that cost for short term answers? Neither are going to fill jobs on this OL for long. And Whit/Blythe is going to cost probably close to a top FA for the interior. So I still feel like we're going to see a FA addition to help settle this group down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The offensive line seems to be a big one to watch this offseason!

Poor play here, too often, set us back in games.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Some tough choices to make. We enjoyed solid play on the line and continuity for two years. Then it all changed last season. I don't expect them to match the same level of play they had in 2017 and 2018. But they have to be better than 2019 if they want to compete in the tough NFC west.

I think they have no choice but to find a way to bring back Whitworth for one more season. There are no better options out there for the money. And no better option on the current roster. That should probably be their first priority.

I did not like Blythe's play at guard, but I thought he was a much better center than Allen. The thing is, Blythe is a free agent. Allen comes cheaper and is on the roster. Do they pay Blythe? Or is there another option there on the current roster? Because overall, Allen was not good there. Can he get better? I don't know.

They also have to find a way to get Havenstein back to where he was before last season. I have no idea why he regressed. But its possible the whole line play just rubbed off and affected him. Maybe his role changed? His responsibilities? I don't know. But Kromer has to fix that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some tough choices to make. We enjoyed solid play on the line and continuity for two years. Then it all changed last season. I don't expect them to match the same level of play they had in 2017 and 2018. But they have to be better than 2019 if they want to compete in the tough NFC west.

I think they have no choice but to find a way to bring back Whitworth for one more season. There are no better options out there for the money. And no better option on the current roster. That should probably be their first priority.

I did not like Blythe's play at guard, but I thought he was a much better center than Allen. The thing is, Blythe is a free agent. Allen comes cheaper and is on the roster. Do they pay Blythe? Or is there another option there on the current roster? Because overall, Allen was not good there. Can he get better? I don't know.

They also have to find a way to get Havenstein back to where he was before last season. I have no idea why he regressed. But its possible the whole line play just rubbed off and affected him. Maybe his role changed? His responsibilities? I don't know. But Kromer has to fix that.
Each one in and of itself has merit. But putting them all together and ending up with the same OL probably won't end well for us.

If we had a first rounder I would feel like we could find our LT of the future in this draft. As things stand, however, we're in the "LT project" neighborhood instead at 52 and we don't have a lot of options for moving up to get someone who can start year one. Hopefully we'll get lucky with a guy we like falling to us but I doubt it, as OTs seem to rise as the draft nears. Maybe roll the dice on a prospect with injury question like Wanogho, idk.

Either way I feel like building a dominant run blocking line is the way to go. Do that and you can buy time for a guy like Evans to settle in on the blindside as defenses can't pin their ears back and you can help him out a bit too. Problem is we don't have the pieces to do that right now, we're going to need a couple additions to have a high end run game.

Ram65

Legend
They can bring Whit back and even Blythe but how much would that cost for short term answers? Neither are going to fill jobs on this OL for long. And Whit/Blythe is going to cost probably close to a top FA for the interior. So I still feel like we're going to see a FA addition to help settle this group down.

Here is a good response to your thought on Whitworth.

I'm not sure how much Blythe will be offered in free agency, Coming off multiple injuries he may not be valued much more than a reserve offensive lineman. He could be an affordable option as a OG/OC backup and compete for a starting position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is a good response to your thought on Whitworth.

I'm not sure how much Blythe will be offered in free agency, Coming off multiple injuries he may not be valued much more than a reserve offensive lineman. He could be an affordable option as a OG/OC backup and compete for a starting position.
Well first off the Rams do seem to be of the same mind re: Whit, and are probably going to bring him back. And if they do I'm not gonna complain about it as I understand the decision and I don't deny it makes sense in a lot of ways.

But my concern is his dropoff. There is legitimate dropoff in his game from 2018 to 2019. And he's 38 years old and will be 39 come the playoffs this year. So when you consider that plus the projections of his pay coming in anywhere from $8-11M it is very hard for me to say that's the right approach. And that's even though I love the dude, his leadership, and all that.

As to the roster I have a lot of concerns with Boom too. If he can win the job over Evans and maybe Edwards so be it. But he has a lot of questions wrt his strength when I see him getting rag dolled in the run game. That won't help us get this OL back on the map as removing Whit takes away a very good run blocker (his run blocking is probably better now than his pass pro).

Re: Blythe all I can say is he has shown a clear trend of playing his best when he doesn't have a job. Signing him to be our starter would be a mistake IMO and I doubt he's going to sign with us on the cheap when this will be a chance for him as a JAG to get some security.

Losing Saffold exposed the JAG effect in our line. We have a couple good young players in Evans & Edwards and maybe one of the others will be able to step up. So IMO best case scenario would be addition of a stud lineman and a couple picks for competition/depth. If the Rams use FA for the defense or other-than-OL the second best case would be drafting a couple more guys one of whom could hopefully start soon.

Ram65

Legend
Each one in and of itself has merit. But putting them all together and ending up with the same OL probably won't end well for us.

If we had a first rounder I would feel like we could find our LT of the future in this draft. As things stand, however, we're in the "LT project" neighborhood instead at 52 and we don't have a lot of options for moving up to get someone who can start year one. Hopefully we'll get lucky with a guy we like falling to us but I doubt it, as OTs seem to rise as the draft nears. Maybe roll the dice on a prospect with injury question like Wanogho, idk.

Either way I feel like building a dominant run blocking line is the way to go. Do that and you can buy time for a guy like Evans to settle in on the blindside as defenses can't pin their ears back and you can help him out a bit too. Problem is we don't have the pieces to do that right now, we're going to need a couple additions to have a high end run game.

I imagine #52 goes for Brockers replacement but, we don't know for sure.

Rams may have to make do with what they have available. A dominating run-blocking offensive line would be great but, the Rams don't have the resources to make it happen overnight. Choices have to be made. It looks like two sides have emerged her on ROD. The resign Whitworth for a year vs the sign a free agent run blocking OG/O Lineman.

If the Rams resign Whitworth I think they can still have a more than respectable offensive line. McVay has to tweak his schemes to help out the offensive line. Things like more 2 TE sets and quicker pass plays can help with balance. The Rams bread and butter will still be deeper pass routes but, may need to be used a little less and some with more protection.

If there was some way the Rams can get Whitworth and a blocking OG free agent I'm all for it. I don't think they have the cap space to do both.

Ram65

Legend

According to many, he didn't play well. If he gets solid money offers than Rams have other alternatives. IIRC he had 3 surgeries this of season. I have to check. Both shoulders and his ankle.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It still blows my mind a little when we get stories like this. It really wasn't that long ago when the ACME of the St Louis/Los Angeles Rams was 7-8-1. We are not a dumpster fire at 9-7. Les Snead needs to fix the Oline, period. THAT is the most important thing, for a few more wins a year and into the playoffs and vying with the Niners for the NFC Championship (and beyond).

The Rams have some things to address, but I just remember the dream of having a winning record for most of a decade. The Rams were the only team with a winning record last year that didn't make the playoffs. We were flawed, but certainly didn't suck, Lindsey Thirey

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think some are underestimating the ceilings of Evans, Edwards, and Corbett. I admit not knowing much about Corbett, I guess he played ok last year, he was a high draft pick, and he should be better with a year of coaching from Kromer, and being more comfortable with the Ram's offense and teammates. So we'll see, but Evans and Edwards played great considering they were both rookies! And look at the progress they made during the season! Next year I think those two are gonna be great. So we might have Whit at LT, Edwards at LG, Evans at RG, and Havenstein back at RT (and hopefully playing "normal" again). I don't care if our center is Allen or Blythe... I think we might have the makings of a very good O-Line!!! JMHO

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think some are underestimating the ceilings of Evans, Edwards, and Corbett. I admit not knowing much about Corbett, I guess he played ok last year, he was a high draft pick, and he should be better with a year of coaching from Kromer, and being more comfortable with the Ram's offense and teammates. So we'll see, but Evans and Edwards played great considering they were both rookies! And look at the progress they made during the season! Next year I think those two are gonna be great. So we might have Whit at LT, Edwards at LG, Evans at RG, and Havenstein back at RT (and hopefully playing "normal" again). I don't care if our center is Allen or Blythe... I think we might have the makings of a very good O-Line!!! JMHO

Agree these are such young O-Lineman. I keep saying they are as good as any O”Lineman coming out. Corbett was a first rd pick who still is ascending. Gets his first OTA’s with Kromer.

dang

Legend
Sticking to OL. Too many changes would be as bad as no changes. Whit will be back but an heir apparent needs to identified and readied this season. Edwards should win LG. Center snd RG should be wide open and I want to see a very good FA pick up for one of these. RT will likely be Hav but Evans could push him for starting. I do agree with Draft R3 and R4comp picks for OL. All other picks should go to the defensive side of the line.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We absolutely have to draft a center. I'm not comfortable with Allen, Blythe (whom I was wrong about, feel free to shame me) or even Corbett starting there just yet. And this is the best center class I've seen in years, possibly since I started watching the draft (2003).

Me reading your posts when they don’t draft a Center

186F0518-10A4-4AA1-81E3-208555419F9E.jpeg

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The rams have at least 10 potential starters/backups on the oline but this group also has more question marks than a riddler costume.

I doubt they are going to let themselves be put in a position for a repeat of last seasons oline decline, meaning they cant risk sitting on their hands praying for significant development, or as been said more eloquently above, they cant afford to fuck around.

Weve seen mcvay be quick to make personnel changes so im guessing hes not hoping that at least 3 of these guys step up their game because thats what it would take.

Id be shocked if they dont add a high end guard or center in FA and im hoping its mcgovern from denver who can ball out in both positions. Our new DC saw him every day so maybe hes in Sean's ear about making a move to sign him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree these are such young O-Lineman. I keep saying they are as good as any O”Lineman coming out. Corbett was a first rd pick who still is ascending. Gets his first OTA’s with Kromer.
Agree but that's not the end of this story on this 2020 Ram OL.....Snead still must consider blending & mixing in @ least two possible starters with a good amount of starting experienced to go with all these youngsters.
Sticking to OL. Too many changes would be as bad as no changes. Whit will be back but an heir apparent needs to identified and readied this season. Edwards should win LG. Center snd RG should be wide open and I want to see a very good FA pick up for one of these. RT will likely be Hav but Evans could push him for starting. I do agree with Draft R3 and R4comp picks for OL. All other picks should go to the defensive side of the line.

Sticking to your first 2 line comments dang ......too many musical chair changes to a OL that had ended up the season with four of the five new starters.....was a disaster in the end.

Would it not be better to go with the same identical two young but talented starting OG's Corbett & Edwards? So they can pick up right where they left off when the season came to an end. When you throw swing OG/OT Chandler Brewer the OG's unit's future @ OG is good & solid. I would not want to terminate all the effort of last season work @ the OG posts. IMO it would greatly impede the growing process & hinder these 3 OL'ers. @ least 2 starting posts & the top back up OG position would remain the same. All 3 of them are under Rams contracts.

The RT post was shaky from out of the gate in 2019 season in his pass protection. Is your position on Rob Havenstein .....will be solid & back as starter in 2020?

I even lean lightly to that thought too, but its hard for me to forget just how bad & awful Rob was in pass protection last season. Rob was directly responsible for 5 Goff sacks last season & another dozen or more hits. He had 8 penalties most being of the major kind. His over all rating was 50.9 right at Blythe level who most here never want to see Blythe starting again.

Even when Rob was no longer on the injury list & was healthy McVay/Kromer kept Havenstein riding on the bench & continued to go with Rookie Bobby Evans instead. This was done when the 2019 winning season & a possible playoff berth was on the line. WHY??????? That says something! To Rob's defense he does have 4 good seasons of play on his resume (2015-2018).

I am not really sure that Starting RT post will be handed back over into Havenstein's possession. If the Rams do come to terms with Andrew Whitworth for the starter @ LT thus allowing Evans to contend back where he started late last season. Evans finished 8 gms as a starter in 2019 & Rob finished 8 gms as a starter in 2019. Either way whichever OT wins the post will be one of the 2019 starters from 2019.

Everyone knows Snead has 2 starting OL posts that are currently vacant / "wide open" @ this moment due to LT Noteboom's damaged & rehabbing knee. I would contend the RT post is questionable. I would leave the 3 OG OL positions alone as they were over the last half of the 2019 & build on those built foundations instead of digging & pouring new footers in 2020. That would give Kromer some place to start.

Still, my favorite UFA interior suggestion @ this time is this past February's SB starting center Ben Garland who is a westerner by birth & 100% good guy. He will be 32 & has started in the NFL at all three interior posts. Last season he filled in for the pro bowl Richburg @ center. Surprising the 9ers OL got even better. It was Garland second SB game.

Inserting an experienced veteran starting center to go with 24 yr old Brian Allen who has 22 nfl & 9 starts, 25 yr old Coleman Shelton who has played in 11 NFL gms to go with 23 yr old Nate Trewyn & 25 yr old Jeremiah Kolone who have ridden the practice squad team for 2 seasons........would be a great move.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The rams have at least 10 potential starters/backups on the oline but this group also has more question marks than a riddler costume.

I doubt they are going to let themselves be put in a position for a repeat of last seasons oline decline, meaning they cant risk sitting on their hands praying for significant development, or as been said more eloquently above, they cant afford to fuck around.

Weve seen mcvay be quick to make personnel changes so im guessing hes not hoping that at least 3 of these guys step up their game because thats what it would take.

Id be shocked if they dont add a high end guard or center in FA and im hoping its mcgovern from denver who can ball out in both positions. Our new DC saw him every day so maybe hes in Sean's ear about making a move to sign him.

Good call, but Mcvay will have time before the draft to evaluate his squad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I imagine #52 goes for Brockers replacement but, we don't know for sure.
A lot of the Rams' need positions look like they have a chance to be very strong at 52.

There's a ton of edge types (I assume Fowler is gone) so depending on how many 3-4 teams go edge that could end up being a very high value for us at a very important position meaning the Rams would almost surely take it.

There might be a good OT project type with the feet for LT too, as the OT position is also well represented. So is RB btw, which people might not want to hear but they are gonna see quality there at 52. 5T I agree is a huge need, and assuming they don't address it in FA yeah I agree it has a good chance. Center same deal plus it's a real high need barring a FA addition or trade. Even ILB I think might have value if one of a couple options slide due to the incidence of edge types.

Honestly I hope the Rams take the best player on the board regardless of need. There will be a guy they have as a solid round 1 pick sitting there looking them in the face so just take him. That helps to combat the value drop of not having a first round pick and then position yourself from there for what you want.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There might be a good OT project type with the feet for LT too, as the OT position is also well represented. 5T I agree is a huge need, and assuming they don't address it in FA yeah I agree it has a good chance.

I've been following TCU's RT Lucas Niang as such a project, and while often mocked into the 3'rd round, I'll be surprised if he lasts that long.
A Tag & Trade with Fowler potentially bringing in another 2'nd round pick for us could be ideal as we seek to replace Brockers & find further competition at OT.
jmo.