Rams could make changes on offense following disappointing 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I gotta believe McVa was frustrated and embarrassed by the interior OL’s inability to dominate anyone in the run game. As such I gotta believe that will be addressed this offseason. Since you can’t count on rookies that means developing what he has and hopefully adding some more OC/OG help in FA.

oldnotdead

Legend
As I've said in another post I anticipate the offense moving to a power run attack. I predicted that it wouldn't surprise me if the Rams took a FB in the draft. Now McVay is talking about adding one. This o-line suffered from very poor coaching last year. IMO it's not a lack of talent as most seem to feel on the o-line but simply poor coaching and the ad-hoc nature of their composition. They have guys playing out of position executing with exceedingly poor coordination and technique. That is coaching or in this case the lack of good coaching.

Bringing back Whitworth for another year is spending good money on a bandaid. His age was clearly showing last year where he flat out got beat on more than one occasion. Snead assembled this o-line and it's time to play them. Put players in a position to succeed by playing them to their strengths and not to their weaknesses.

LT Noteboom: He is a OT by his physical metrics and by his proven play in 2018. But they played him at LG a position he's never played and barely practiced? At the very least they should have played him at RT. But they got burned to a crisp with their playing a OG at RT. Havenstein and Blythe proved the value of having the correct physical metrics at the positions. Noteboom was drafted to play LT so let him play there this year. In his one start in 2018 at LT, he graded out surprisingly high.

LG Corbett: He was a targeted player by the Rams who was off the board before they could take him. Corbett showed in Cleveland that he is a capable run blocker and he also showed he a decent pass blocker as well. He simply needs additional coaching and time to gel with his unit.

C Allen: Those who think they will give up on Allen are IMO wrong. He didn't play as bad as some on this board contend. He clearly outplayed both Sullivan and Blythe. People were bemoaning the loss of Sullivan but criticize Allen who outplayed him? Center is the most difficult position on the o-line as he is responsible for making the correct blocking calls. Give him another TC and season and he will be fine. He showed enough to stay the starter.

RG Evans: As Noteboom isn't a OG, Evans clearly is a OG. Evans has the classic build for an OG, and he lacks the height and feet to play OT. He has good upper body strength and excellent play radius with his long arms which allows him to fend off bull rushers in the passing game. It's his feet and hips that limit him to playing inside more than anything. His heavy feet and stiff hips limit his ability to mirror outside rushers.

RT Edwards: With his height and arm length coupled with his agility David is what you look for in a RT. To continue to play him inside doesn't make sense when there is a clear need at RT. As a former basketball player, he has the feet and quickness and the physical metrics you look for in a RT. He simply needs to hit the weight room and be properly coached up on his technique. But IMO he has the talent to become a good RT if given the opportunity to play outside where he belongs.

I for one see enough talent on this o-line to become a very solid unit. The caveat is that they will need proper coaching to develop their technique and time to develop as a unit. They have not played together as a unit and of all units in the NFL, it's the o-line where unit play is essential to unit success. For people to give up on these guys at this point is missing the point that they have yet to play as a cohesive unit in their proper positions.

This offense will be completely different this year. They will transition to a power gap run attack scheme with a lead blocker be it FB or H-back has yet to be determined. Realignment and coaching them up on the necessary fundamental techniques required will change everything. The time for rebuilding is over so let these guys finally play as bringing in a bunch of new guys will only retard the development of the most crucial unit of the offense. If the o-line plays like I think they will this will be among the most dangerous offenses in the NFL.