Rams could hop aboard QB carousel in '16/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams could hop aboard QB carousel in '16
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_335b41bc-43d0-5022-9baf-2caa4c947964.html

In a few months this may be Los Angeles’ problem. But as the 2015 Rams season winds down — or should we say, unravels — it’s looking more and more like quarterback will be a top offseason priority.

Beginning with Sunday’s game against Arizona, that gives Nick Foles and Case Keenum five games to make an impression.

The person with the most to gain seemingly would be Keenum, whose contract expires after this season. It’s obvious that coach Jeff Fisher likes Keenum, or why trade for him last March — and as things turned out, basically hand him the No. 2 job over Austin Davis right then and there?

Fisher made it clear two weeks ago when benching Foles after the Chicago game that Keenum would not have a short leash. In re-iterating Monday that a healthy Keenum would be his starter this week against Arizona, it’s clear that Fisher wants to get more of a look.

“He’s really disappointed that he didn’t get to play last week,” Fisher said. “I don’t buy into the philosophy where someone’s going to lose their job because they got hurt.

“Unfortunately, Case had the set of circumstances at the end of the Baltimore game that prevented him from playing last week. Hopefully, he’s going to be back this week and he’ll play. I’m going to give Case a fair shot.”

After a players’ day off Tuesday, Fisher expects Keenum to be back on the practice field in some capacity Wednesday as he attempts to clear the NFL concussion protocol.

And what of Foles? He had a chance against Cincinnati to remind everyone why the Rams traded for him last March, starting in place of the concussed Keenum. Instead, he threw three interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown and another that killed a potential Rams scoring drive.

In matter-of-fact fashion, Fisher broke down the three INTs, mistakes you just can’t have under any circumstances, much less with an offense struggling mightily to score points.

“First (interception) was a little late,” Fisher said. “Reggie (Nelson) did a great job ... read his eyes and just took off and pushed, and the ball was deflected.”

The Rams had a first down at the Cincinnati 23 with 44 seconds left in the first half when Foles threw that interception to Nelson on a ball tipped by fellow Bengals safety George Iloka. The pass was intended for tight end Jared Cook over the middle.

Foles’ second interception, made by veteran cornerback Leon Hall, was returned 19 yards for a victory-sealing touchdown with 5½ minutes to play in the third quarter. The ball was intended for Bradley Marquez, but as Fisher said, never should have been thrown.

“He was trying to make a play,” Fisher said. “He was scrambling around. He should not have thrown that ball. Throw the ball in the ground. Get what you can, get down, and punt the ball away.”

With the game’s outcome well-decided, Foles’ third interception took place in Cincinnati territory early in the fourth quarter on a play in which wide receiver Kenny Britt got open on a double-move.

“(Foles) was a little bit late,” Fisher said. “It sailed inside, and the safety made a great play on the ball.”

That gave Foles nine interceptions on the season, compared with only seven touchdowns.

“He’s a confident player,” Fisher insisted. “He’s confident. Those things are not unsettling to him. He comes back.”

But if Keenum returns and plays well, Foles might not see the field again this season. If that’s the case, the Rams must decide if Foles is salvageable for 2016. If the team decides to part ways with him, it would be costly.

A $6 million roster bonus payable on the third day of the 2016 league year (in March) became guaranteed when Foles was on the roster this past Aug. 15. In addition, there is $2 million of unamortized signing bonus money that would count against the 2016 cap if Foles were released. Counter-balancing that would be a relatively modest $1.75 million in base salary saved if he were released.

Last but not least is rookie Sean Mannion, the third-round draft pick out of Oregon State. He is just starting out on what was a four-year, $3.25 million contract coming out of college. So he’s going nowhere.

Based on the subpar play of Foles and Keenum so far, the outcry has risen among Rams fans and many media observers to play Mannion. Fisher tried to explain Monday why that’s probably not the best idea at this point.

“He’s been in the meetings with the quarterbacks every day since the draft,” Fisher said. “He got reps during camp. He got to play in preseason games. (But) once you get in the regular season your (No.) 1 and (No.) 2’s are getting the reps. It’s hard to get your (No.) 3 reps.”

The starting quarterback gets almost all of the practice repetitions with the first-team offense. The top backup gets most of the reps running the scout team offense against the Rams’ first-team defense. That leaves only a few crumbs for the third-stringer.

Long story short, Mannion isn’t ready to make a legitimate run at the starting job — at least not yet. But the Rams wouldn’t have drafted him in the third round if they didn’t think he had starter’s potential.

“That’s correct, yeah,” Fisher said. “Not many teams have drafted a quarterback in the third round and started him as rookie, either. It takes time.”

If the Rams chose not to re-sign Keenum and decided to bite the salary cap bullet on Foles, Mannion could be competing against some fresh faces in training camp.

In the draft, Michigan State’s Connor Cook, Memphis’ Paxton Lynch and California’s Jared Goff probably are the top three quarterback prospects at this point. That’s assuming Lynch and Goff, both juniors, turn pro.

As for free agency? Well, there’s this guy named Bradford whose contract is scheduled to expire after this season in Philadelphia.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bradford? Noooooo.

Fitzpatrick, maybe. Start giving Keenum and Mannion the practice reps. Find out what you got. If the draft someone else without finding out if Mannion can play, then Mannion was a total waste of a pretty good pick as a third rounder. Unless they think they see enough in him at practice to be convinced that he cannot cut it.

In the few passes he attempted I saw better ball placement than Foles has. Players didn't have to leap, or scoop or stretch to catch it. He was throwing catchable passes and hitting receivers well.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
Wow, Mannion makes that much money as a #3 QB? Talk about easy money, good for him!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd take Bradford along with a highly drafted rookie for sure.

Pass on Bradford tired of his boo boo face... Hire Adam Gase who is a Michigan State Alum draft Connor Cook as I connect the dots and draft a Center add an Offensive Tackle in free agency move GROB to LG and cut Shoulder Saffold.

FRO

Legend
Pass on Bradford tired of his boo boo face... Hire Adam Gase who is a Michigan State Alum draft Connor Cook as I connect the dots and draft a Center add an Offensive Tackle in free agency move GROB to LG and cut Shoulder Saffold.
No thanks on Cook. We already have an inaccurate QB in Foles. Don't need another one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am really thinking that an OLT is a must and moving GRob to Guard. He should not be this bad this far into it. Draft a Center is another must IMO. Hiring Gase might be good or it could be another coordinator trying to be a head coach. That does not always work well. Fox had a real coups getting Gase. Fox is a good defensive mind and Gase is a good OC plus they have a good enough QB. The Bears made some great moves there.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I am really thinking that an OLT is a must and moving GRob to Guard.

I'm with you there. BPA between LT, QB, WR. We need all three so get the best one. Those three positions have been a circle of death for this team. We have to fill them, even if it means we don't fill a hole or resign a FA on the defense. Getting a LT actually fills two holes with one player as GRob IMO would play much better as a guard.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I do not want to see them reach for a QB out of desperation. And they have too many needs to waste the top end of the draft for one guy. I'd rather see what Mannion can do. WR MLB LOT and who knows what happens in FA and who we re-sign.

I don't want Bradford back but we will need a third and a veteran guy so I suppose it could be worse.

Stel

Starter
A couple of questions to which no one on this board really knows the answer which will have a profound impact on our 2016 draft:

1. Does Mannion have the ability to become a quality NFL starter. He doesn't have to be elite, just solid, say a guy who completes 62.5-65% of his passes, average at least 7 yds/attempt, has a QB rating in the 90 range, and protects the football.

2. Is there a solid LOT on the roster for next year or do we need to go get one? Most of us seem to doubt whether Robinson will be it, but Battle was taken for a reason.

3. Which of our FAs do they intend to retain? We have the cap ability to keep most, if not all, of our core players. Doesn't mean we have that intention.

4. Will the coaching staff/FO remain the same in 2016? A change in staff could result in a complete change in team philosophy and change the FA retention and acquisition plays resulting in a change in draft plans.

Give me the ultimate true answers to those questions and the draft becomes a bit clearer. Unfortuantely, all we fans can do is speculate and make our semi-educated guesses. But those are always fun! (y)

fearsomefour

Legend
Wow, Mannion makes that much money as a #3 QB? Talk about easy money, good for him!
Yeah, being a back up QB....one that is established enough to always have work....Derek Anderson, Shaun Hill ect....has to be the best job in sports. If you do happen to get in people don't expect you to play well.
A guy like Austin Davis is setting himself up to have a very profitable long career.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
A couple of questions to which no one on this board really knows the answer which will have a profound impact on our 2016 draft:

1. Does Mannion have the ability to become a quality NFL starter. He doesn't have to be elite, just solid, say a guy who completes 62.5-65% of his passes, average at least 7 yds/attempt, has a QB rating in the 90 range, and protects the football.

2. Is there a solid LOT on the roster for next year or do we need to go get one? Most of us seem to doubt whether Robinson will be it, but Battle was taken for a reason.

3. Which of our FAs do they intend to retain? We have the cap ability to keep most, if not all, of our core players. Doesn't mean we have that intention.

4. Will the coaching staff/FO remain the same in 2016? A change in staff could result in a complete change in team philosophy and change the FA retention and acquisition plays resulting in a change in draft plans.

Give me the ultimate true answers to those questions and the draft becomes a bit clearer. Unfortuantely, all we fans can do is speculate and make our semi-educated guesses. But those are always fun! (y)

+1
Too many question marks right now.

At LT it's hard to give up on GR at this point even though he has struggled. Battle sure does look the part but we don't know what we have there yet.
A lot of question on the defensive side of the ball in terms of players coming back or not.
That being said, no way we can start next season with the same options at QB. We don't know for sure what we have in Mannion but if we play the let's hope game again we're are flat out stupid.
We need at least 1 dependable veteran option on our roster.
I doubt Fisher is gone so you would have to believe the basic philosophy will not change. But time will tell that story.

fearsomefour

Legend

1....No way to tell unless he gets on the field. The staff signed Foles to an extension that offers little benefit to cutting him based on assumptions.

2....Battle and Williams can play that spot. Can either better than Robinson, who knows? If an attempt is made to grab a FA LT that will eat up a big chunk of money. Drafting one that can play right away? Dicey proposition and may have to trade up to do it.

3....Releasing Britt, Cook, Saffold and Foles (the guys I would let go) gets the Rams to about $53 M under the cap. Is that enough to bring back JJ, Johnson, Barron, McLeod, Fairley, Hayes, Barnes, Quick and specified roll guys (the guys I want back)? Again, don't know.

4....This is my worst fear. I get the frustration with Fisher and Co. but bringing in someone that wants to change direction in a massive way will likely undo much of the positive of what has been done.
I want to keep the D as in tact as possible, sign a vet FA QB, draft a QB and have an open competition. The LT question is a little trickier....I think Robinson is staying there. He has improved from day 1, just not at the pace many would like. He was a G to me coming out but some of his pass blocking woes may be worse at G than T given the more direct route to the QB. I think he gets more time there.
I am resigning Quick based on his physical ability, should be a low cost resign and wanting to not have a totally bare shelf. Austin, Quick, Marquez, Bailey (assuming he can go)....not a very deep corp. Signing a WR without breaking the bank would be key FA target. Who is out there like that? Im not sure.
I am drafting a WR, TE, MLB (not to replace JL now, but he is getting older), a DT and a DE (if both Hayes and Sims leave) and a QB.
Armchair GMing is fun. I just wonder what they are seeing when they sit and talk. I also think Fisher needs to be given the "Vermeil" treatment....bring in a OC that is established and let him run that side of the ball.
The most frustrating thing to me is extending Foles based on what I am not sure....an up and down preseason? A stat line from a couple of years ago? It shows a high level of arrogance from the FO.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
We clearly need a QB whether that be a draftee or Mannion with another offseason/training camp/pre season under his belt.

You could also convince me of the need for a LT with Robinson moved to LG.

But I think Barnes has been ok at centre and there are other needs like a WR that I would take ahead of another centre.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm with you there. BPA between LT, QB, WR. We need all three so get the best one. Those three positions have been a circle of death for this team. We have to fill them, even if it means we don't fill a hole or resign a FA on the defense. Getting a LT actually fills two holes with one player as GRob IMO would play much better as a guard.

I guess there is a very slight chance that Isaaih Battle could fill that position or even Darrel Williams. I think Williams looked better in preseason than GRob did. This is why I would prefer a coaching change. A new set of coaches might take a different view of the situation and make bolder moves.

Last edited:

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I'd be shocked if the Rams drafted a quarterback.

First of all--it would have to be a top of the draft QB---a superstar type and I don't see that.

Fisher already has the "developmental" guy on the roster. My guess is if he goes with the young guy it'll be Mannion. He's too far in to start over at that position and go through a lot of rookie growing pains. My guess is he tries to fix one of these guys or roll the dice with the kid and hope that works out. I can see them investing more in the offensive line and hope that a better line helps the QBs but I will be surprised--unless they get a shot at someone surprising(some vet) that they bring in another QB..

He has kind of made his bed here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Deal Breaker here Bad decision on Foles period! :rant:

Rams appears cemented to Paying Foles close to 9 million next season is ONE very big mess. 100% total waste of cap funds! Rams paying Foles a bonus of $6M in March of next year is not funny:(

Am I reading this wrong here ?????that releasing Foles sometime late August after he shows once again he can not win here leaves the Rams on the hook close to 10 million in dead cap money? Please tell me I am just stupid in math & no understanding of contract readings & I will feel better;).
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/nick-foles/

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd welcome Bradford back with open arms... probably to nobody's surprise. Offer him the incentive-based "extension" you were willing to give him before the 2015 season, hope that Mannion is ready to be the long-term alternative if something bad happens, and keep Keenum around for the vet #3 presence.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd be shocked if the Rams drafted a quarterback.

First of all--it would have to be a top of the draft QB---a superstar type and I don't see that.

Fisher already has the "developmental" guy on the roster. My guess is if he goes with the young guy it'll be Mannion. He's too far in to start over at that position and go through a lot of rookie growing pains. My guess is he tries to fix one of these guys or roll the dice with the kid and hope that works out. I can see them investing more in the offensive line and hope that a better line helps the QBs but I will be surprised--unless they get a shot at someone surprising(some vet) that they bring in another QB..

He has kind of made his bed here.

I agree that, this is probably how it plays out. I was just doing some wishful thinking. Fisher sticks by his decisions on players, it seems. He sticks with the idea that Mannion is the QB of the future and does not make a move to get a better QB. I agree that the best QBs available don't look eye poppers. But to me they look better than what is on the roster. I also think Fisher sticks with GRob at OLT, much to my dismay.