Rams could be thin at cornerback Sunday --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams could be thin at cornerback Sunday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12979/rams-could-be-thin-at-cornerback-sunday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams' injury report is a lengthy one, but there's good news and bad news to be found.

The good news is that of the 12 players on the list, eight are probably to play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The bad news is that of the four who are listed as questionable or worse on the injury report, three of them play the same position. That position is cornerback where Brandon McGee has been ruled out for this week after re-injuring his foot in Thursday's practice. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, both of whom are coming back from knee injuries, are listed as questionable.

Based on practice participation, Johnson would seem the more likely candidate of the two to play against the Chiefs. He got back to work and did at least something in every day of practice this week. Jenkins did not practice at all.

Even if Johnson is able to go, it seems unlikely that he'll be ready to step in and start or play an extended period. If that's the case and Jenkins is unavailable, the Rams will turn to rookie Marcus Roberson to make his first NFL start.

Roberson filled in for Jenkins when Jenkins left last week's game against Seattle and handled himself well, according to coach Jeff Fisher.

“Marcus came in, had a couple tackles," Fisher said. "He knows what to do. He’s doing well on special teams. It’s interesting, at one point against the world champs, we had three rookies in the secondary. They hung there. He’s a good, solid backup [who's] ready to play, that’s important. It’s the hardest thing to do, is to prepare and be ready to play. But, he was fine.”

If indeed Roberson gets another opportunity, the Rams will likely again find themselves in a situation with three rookies on the field. E.J. Gaines will start on one side regardless of injury, and Lamarcus Joyner remains the team's primary nickel corner.

If the Rams can't turn to Johnson to help and really get put in a tough spot, they could also tweak things to bring Rodney McLeod up to help at corner with Cody Davis entering at safety.

Either way, the Rams are heading into the game in a precarious spot at cornerback.

Here's the full Friday injury report:

Out: C Tim Barnes (shoulder), CB Brandon McGee (foot)

Questionable: CB Janoris Jenkins (knee), CB Trumaine Johnson (knee)

Probable: K Greg Zuerlein (illness), S T.J. McDonald (concussion), RB Benny Cunningham (knee), LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar (toe), G Rodger Saffold (knee), WR Kenny Britt (ankle), DE Ethan Westbrooks (hand), DE William Hayes (illness)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Roberson is talented, he stuck with some elite WRs while he was at Florida. I have faith that he can get it done against the Chiefs' pedestrian WR corps. Trumaine should hopefully be back though, it's been around ~8 weeks and that was the time frame, and he's been practicing although limited. And Janoris came back into the game after his injury last week, so there's a decent chance he will play.

I'm not concerned. Even though we might have 3 rookie CBs starting, Gaines plays like a vet and Joyner is getting much better every week, he's become a pretty solid slot guy, and Roberson has the talent, he should have been a 2nd/3rd round pick.

jjab360

Legend
Roberson is capable, but it's scary having 3 rookie CBs on the field at the same time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Roberson is capable, but it's scary having 3 rookie CBs on the field at the same time.
I don't think KC will notice, and they definitely wouldn't try to take advantage of a perceived Weakness!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't think KC will notice, and they definitely wouldn't try to take advantage of a perceived Weakness!!

Their receivers are pretty bad, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Dwayne Bowe is really their only good one, and EJ can handle him well enough.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not to worried about our secondary against KC'S wr's.

Stop Charles and pressure Smith on passing downs and we should be fine. Even on passing downs KC is a dink and dunk version of the west coast offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah no matter who we're facing that concerns me. And I do like Roberson.

His tackling hasn't really impressed me though, and that's gonna be important for the overall run defense. I prefer to see Johnson return this week, really hope he's good to go.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just my guess, here.

Jenks will play, Gaines will play. Joyner will play, and Tru is lurking. Naw... we're good.

Why is the PD presenting negativity not based off of concrete evidence? They're speculating negativity!!! What the heck is their problem?

We bracing for impact here, or what? And off of what???

I'm growing livid with that site. You wanna know what their message Ahmad been, all year, in a nut shell? "Expect the worste!!" What a discusting display of pretend support they are..