Rams could be building new 'Fearsome Foursome' led by tackle Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams could be building new 'Fearsome Foursome' led by tackle Aaron Donald

By RYAN KARTJE

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-702751-donald-line.html

Editor’s note: The following is the second in a series of position-by-position looks at the Los Angeles Rams roster heading into the offseason.

It has been a half-century since the most feared defensive line in NFL history last stood side by side in Los Angeles, rewriting record books and redefining defense as we once knew it.

But Rosey Grier has not forgotten that legacy. At 83, the last surviving member of the original “Fearsome Foursome” fondly remembers towering over the line of scrimmage next to Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, and Lamar Lundy. He still relishes stories of the intimidation that Rams’ line could inflict.

“Sometimes, we wouldn’t even go in the huddle,” Grier said. “And when the offense came back, we’d just be staring at them. They knew we were coming for them. We were always coming.”

Fifty years later, the need for a fearsome pass rush in an increasingly vertical NFL has become more pertinent. Fortunately for the Rams, as they return to Los Angeles, their biggest strength again appears to be a relentless four-man front – a group Grier believes could be built to match his legendary Rams’ line.

“I don’t know if they’re there quite yet,” he said. “But they definitely can get there.”

The centerpiece of that new fearsome vision is an undersized, soft-spoken defensive tackle, who, in two seasons, has already proved to be a generational talent. Because box scores rarely account for his dominance, Aaron Donald might not receive the same fanfare as Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, who is widely accepted as the NFL’s best defender. But a closer look at the film suggests Donald, contrary to popular belief, might be just as good – if not better.

Over the course of a debut 2014 season in which he won Rookie of the Year, Donald graded higher than any other tackle in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus. In an All-Pro second season, Donald racked up an outstanding 79 total pressures and 11 sacks. The result at Pro Football Focus was a 99.9 grade out of 100 – the highest the site has ever handed out, better even than Watt’s previous bests.

“He’s just a dominant force, almost downright unblockable,” Sam Monson, an analyst at Pro Football Focus said. “Donald is a guy that changes how offenses try to block the line. He transforms the entire front.”

With such a dominant presence in the middle, offenses are forced to double-team Donald, leaving one-on-one matchups along the rest of the line. But too often the Rams’ talented front has squandered that mismatch.

While the team’s two highest-paid players, Chris Long and Robert Quinn, were both once Pro Bowl defensive ends, both have been far less effective recently. Two seasons ago, Quinn put together a 19-sack campaign, but as nagging injuries piled up, that total fell to just five in 2015. For Long, the two-year decline has been even more steep, with just four sacks in 18 games.

Now, with a $14.25 million cap hit attached in 2016, Long is likely to be cut this summer; though, a hefty pay cut is possible.

“It’s no secret,” Long said after the season. “I haven’t been myself.”

William Hayes, who stepped into Long’s place last season, showed flashes of reliability, but will be a free agent. Former first-rounder Michael Brockers also improved at nose tackle in 2015, after three inconsistent seasons. Another former first-rounder, Nick Fairley, has struggled, but remains talented. He’ll also be a free agent.

If the Rams plan to craft the league’s best defensive line around Donald’s abilities, though, they’ll need a consistently dominant rusher to emerge.

Other than drafting an edge rusher with a high pick – which would mean ignoring more pressing defensive needs – or shelling out top dollar for a free agent, a bounce-back season from Quinn might be the Rams’ best case for improvement. Quinn had back surgery in December, so that’s far from certain. But if Quinn returns anywhere near his 2013 self, Monson said, L.A. could easily boast the NFL’s best line.

“You would have something I don’t think the NFL has seen in the last decade,” Monson said. ”That would be terrifying for an offense – a guy coming up the middle relentlessly and a guy that’s coming from the edge with speed we haven’t seen before.”

With Donald, one piece of that terrifying puzzle is in place. But in their first season back in Los Angeles, the Rams are still a few pieces away from a truly fearsome foursome up front.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hello? Oh, I'll say it. BROCKERS. The article didn't even mention him.

Because he isn't making the flashy play's. I love his run stops. That stop in the first Seattle game was sweet. But this guy is comparing them to the fearsome foursome. I don't know that they will ever get to see that again. Football was different, simpler. And players a r e better coached and units better schemer.

There are some Damon good D lines in the NFL though. We will watch two of them in the Super Bowl.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No context about Quinn, which reveals ignorance by the writer. Sure he had a bad year, but there is nothing to suggest that after healthy he will not resume his wicked moves around LT's in the NFL...A half truth is about as bad as a lie.

tempests

Hall of Fame
If the Rams plan to craft the league’s best defensive line around Donald’s abilities, though, they’ll need a consistently dominant rusher to emerge.

A consistently dominant pass rusher on this team already emerged. He's still just 25, too. All that's needed from him is a return to health.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We just need the Mighty Quinn to return to form. He's what makes us so scary along with Donald

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Our current D-line would've dominated back in the fearsome foursome era.Not taking away from what they did but the talent and athleticism are night and day.We have a great D-line that will get even better with a stud DE to replace CL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No context about Quinn, which reveals ignorance by the writer. Sure he had a bad year, but there is nothing to suggest that after healthy he will not resume his wicked moves around LT's in the NFL...A half truth is about as bad as a lie.

It's a fluff piece IMO. He doesn't really know much of anything about the Rams. The title alone will get people to read and get excited.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are they speaking of the future 2016 Ram DL here?? Rams DL Donald, Westbrooks, Longacre & Tricant-Pasat?

Because 3 of last seasons DL'ers main top rotational DL'ers are no longer Rams in a month. One long time starting DE has been a declining shell of himself due to mostly injuries but also skill level diminished due to wear & tear. Like the article said is a highly probable release & there really no reason he shouldn't be. The other starting DE was sent to the IR & is coming off back surgery along with several other injury related issues. The final starter in 2016 DL is in his last yr of his Ram contract & most probable headed into free agency next year at this time.

:thinking:......nah don't think so ........ but we know Fisher & Snead sure like highly skilled DL'ers & this upcoming draft is full of them & maybe this ill informed writer knows something I don't.;)

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:thinking::coffee::rolllaugh:

#2.jpg

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
The question is: would you really be shocked if Fisher jumps on a DT or DE despite the glaring need at QB & WR?

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Former Pitt star Donald excited for Rams' move to L.A.
BY MARK KABOLY

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9920474-74/donald-nfl-defensive

SAN FRANCISCO — When you think of Aaron Donald, you think of a dominant football player. You think of one of the best young players in the league and a humble and hard-working individual.

What you don't think of from the guy who grew up in Penn Hills, played in college at Pitt and the first two years of his pro career in St. Louis is glitz and glamour.

That's all about to change, and Donald is looking forward to it.

The NFL approved the move of the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles last month meaning Donald now will be cruising down Rodeo Drive — quite a long way from Forbes and Fifth.

“It is going to be different being a Pittsburgh guy,” Donald said Thursday at Super Bowl 50 as he promoted the Mountain Dew Kickstart ad “Puppymonkeybaby.”

“I will get used to it. There will be a lot more opportunities for us out there in L.A. and a lot more exposure. I am excited about it, and it is a fresh start.”

But make no mistake about it, Donald isn't going to trade in his blue-collar work ethic for sunglasses and infinity scarves anytime soon.

Donald, who still considers himself a Pittsburgher and a Steelers fan, has gotten this far in such a short time with hard work and isn't about to change that even with the move to Los Angeles.

“I am just a humble person and that's just how I am,” Donald said. “I feel that no matter how much success I have or what's going on, that's just who I am as a person — humble and stay true to myself. I am not satisfied yet. I still have a lot more work to do before I am happy and excited about the things I have accomplished.”

Donald was not highly recruited out of Penn Hills but transformed himself into the most decorated athlete to play at Pitt despite questions surrounding his size.

At 6-foot-1, 285 pounds, Donald wasn't a prototypical defensive tackle in Division I, let alone the NFL. Still, the Rams took him in the first round in 2014, and Donald hasn't disappointed.

Donald has started 28 of 32 games and has 20 sacks in two years. Last year, he was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and Saturday he could be named Defensive Player of the Year after a season in which he had 69 tackles and 11 sacks. His sack total tied for most in the league by a defensive tackle with the Bengals' Geno Atkins and the Panthers' Kawann Short, who will be playing in Sunday's Super Bowl 50.

Donald is a two-time Pro Bowler and made first-team All-Pro this year.

“He's a stud,” former Giants offensive lineman and NFL Network analyst Shaun O'Hara said. “I went to Rutgers and watched him single-handily destroy games in college. He is even better in the NFL. I am glad I don't have to block him.”

Donald's production has started to earn him credit as a viable top-tier player alongside the likes of J.J. Watt, who is widely considered the best defensive player in the NFL.

Donald said he wants to be the best who ever played the game and said he means no disrespect to those who played before him.

“To be a great football player, you have to have that mindset,” Donald said. “You talk about guys like John Randle, Warren Sapp, (former Rams defensive lineman) La'Roi Glover and respect them. But one day you want to be better than those guys. No disrespect, but you have to have that mindset you have to be a great football player. A guy like Warren Sapp is a Hall of Famer, and if you can top his numbers and God willing, one day I might be able to wear that jacket.”

Donald was able to mingle with some of the NFL's all-time best this week, including Sapp, who he said he grew up trying to emulate.

“To see all the hard work I put into the game and see it unfold and all the things that come with it has been a blessing,” Donald said. “I always say hard work pays off. To see it all unfold and see this thing come full circle is a real good feeling. This is what I dreamed about my entire life. It has been a great run so far. It is just getting started though.”

Mark Kaboly is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at mkaboly@tribweb.com or via Twitter @MarkKaboly_Trib.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams DE Chris Long Among Likely Cap Casualties?

The PFF crew takes a look at a few players who will likely be cap casualties after this season, including Vikings WR Mike Wallace, Rams DL Chris Long, Bills DE Mario Williams, Jets’ CB Antonio Cromartie.

Watch Potential Cap Casualties Discussion