Rams cornerbacks at size disadvantage against Panthers receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...-size-disadvantage-against-panthers-receivers

AR-161109796.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

THOUSAND OAKS >> On Sunday, the Rams cornerbacks will be looking up.

Panthers receiver Kelvin Benjamin is listed at 6-foot-5, 245 pounds. His teammate, Devin Funchess, is 6-foot-4, 225 pounds. Against a Los Angeles secondary that might not be fully healthy, the two could have six inches and more than 30 pounds on whoever is trying to guard them.

All of which makes the return of Trumaine Johnson all the more pressing. At 6-2, 208, he’s the only cornerback who won’t feel dwarfed against Carolina’s pass-catching duo.

“Tru can match up with the bigger receivers, and I think that’s what the coaches really like,” cornerback E.J. Gaines said. “That’s why we’re just excited to get him back. Hopefully, it is this week — or whatever week it is — so he can match up against those bigger receivers.”

Johnson injured his ankle almost a month ago and it’s sidelined him for the Rams’ last two games. He returned to practice this week on a limited basis, and head coach Jeff Fisher sounded optimistic about his chances of dressing at the Coliseum — where the Rams will play for the just the third time since moving back to Southern California.

The team has felt his absence. Without Johnson, who is playing under the franchise tag this season, the Rams were forced to throw in Troy Hill, the second-year pro who had played almost exclusively on special teams before this season. The former Oregon standout has held his own at times, but opposing quarterbacks have also made it a point to attack his side of the field.

Hill and Gaines, who have started the Rams’ last two games, are both 5-10. Nickel back Lamarcus Joyner is 5-foot-8. The only other cornerback on the roster is Dwayne Gratz — slightly bigger at 5-11, 199 — who has played just two snaps on defense since the Rams claimed him off waivers last month.

That said, it certainly isn’t rare for NFL cornerbacks to have to guard bigger receivers. The position places a premium on speed and agility, and coaches are more than willing to deploy smaller defenders as long as they play with sound technique.

Sometimes, that requires cornerbacks to try and disrupt at the line of scrimmage.

“We definitely have to get physical back,” Gaines said. “Hold our own on the outside.”

Hill was more nonchalant about his strategy.

“I just do the same thing,” he said. “Honestly, I’m giving up size against every receiver I play against, so it’s nothing new.”

Joyner does have first-hand experience against Benjamin, having practiced against him when both were at Florida State.

“A physical specimen,” Joyner said of the receiver, who has 31 catches for 467 yards after missing all of last season with a torn ACL. “Could run all the routes as a big man. Good ball skills. You’ve got to go to work every day against guys like him.”

Joyner added that the Panthers are probably the “first and last” opponent that can throw that type of size at the Rams this season.

Hill came up with a more specific comparison: Tampa Bay, which had a pair of 6-foot-5 receivers in Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson.

It’s not a particularly encouraging example. The Rams did win that game, holding on for a 37-32 road victory in Week 3. They also gave up 389 passing yards that day — the most they’ve surrendered this season.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not really concerned about size, especially if the DBs have a general idea of the route tree. It does provide disadvantage though for jump balls, specifically against Kelvin Benjamin

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not really concerned about size, especially if the DBs have a general idea of the route tree. It does provide disadvantage though for jump balls, specifically against Kelvin Benjamin
I would think, that IF we can bump them a little, at the LS, and slow them up, our pass rush could stop Cam from getting them the Ball! IDK if it would work, or if it's a good idea, but it's a thought! Of course we have to stuff the Run Too!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This is where I would like our BIG Safeties to come over the top and light these guys up and get those alligator arms going for the Panthers. I'm waiting for that big clean hit in coverage from Mo. I hope it comes this Sunday!

Anyone realize that Tru is the only DB with a INT? Not very inspiring to say the least.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I feel like size of CBs is so overrated. its not like QBs just throw jump balls every play, might get a couple of them a game but thats it. Id take good coverage skills over height any day.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I feel like size of CBs is so overrated. its not like QBs just throw jump balls every play, might get a couple of them a game but thats it. Id take good coverage skills over height any day.

Disagree. You absolutely need tall CBs to defend against jump balls in the end zone. It only happens a few times a game as you said, but if you can't defend it, you're giving up 7 to 14 pts in a flash and that will decide games. Good coverage won't often save you on a jump ball against a competent receiver with half a foot on you. See: Jenkin's time as a Ram. Like many things in life, a CB corps needs a diverse skill set.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Would be nice to have Gaines & Tru back together.They started off training camp healthy & looked real good.
EJ really shined.Then got hurt.
Tru if healthy ,The Rams could be on a 6 game win streak. They mean that much to the D"

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Which teams corner backs are not smaller than the Panthers Recievers? As long as Joyner isn't guarding them I think they should be fine

SamMills51

UDFA
Shula has unveiled something that took him 4 years to figure out: Short routes and slants work against the pass rush.

Against the Cardinals, what I noticed was how the offense responded to the pass rush. Instead of Shula using his crayons and hoping some long and developing play works against prime pass rushers, he's started doing more slants, quick passes, and short routes, and slowly beating away the pass rush to allow the bigger plays for later.

I expect a similar style to start the game off. Run, then slants, then keep everything short and quick to wear out the pass rush, then go for the long and developing plays. Our receivers are huge enough to beat any CB for the ball in those situations, but their catch reliability is an issue.

As long as we don't let the pass rush get Cam, as long as he steps in the pocket and takes shorter steps back like he did against the Cardinals, I expect the Rams to get worn out fast.

Then again Shula's our OC, so he's probably not smart enough to do that again.

SamMills51

UDFA
Well the problem for you guys; Cam Newton and Kelvin love doing those jump balls. Cam likes throwing to Kelvin in a way that only he can catch it. That's what makes Kelvin so good. He can make catches in anything with his size.
post-52651-Kelvin-Benjamin-catch-over-Sea-4aMW.gif

To emphasize my point, that's Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman double teaming him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Well the problem for you guys; Cam Newton and Kelvin love doing those jump balls. Cam likes throwing to Kelvin in a way that only he can catch it. That's what makes Kelvin so good. He can make catches in anything with his size.

To emphasize my point, that's Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman double teaming him.
We do that to them with Kenny Britt. Sherman is only good when he gets away with holding.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shula has unveiled something that took him 4 years to figure out: Short routes and slants work against the pass rush.

Against the Cardinals, what I noticed was how the offense responded to the pass rush. Instead of Shula using his crayons and hoping some long and developing play works against prime pass rushers, he's started doing more slants, quick passes, and short routes, and slowly beating away the pass rush to allow the bigger plays for later.

I expect a similar style to start the game off. Run, then slants, then keep everything short and quick to wear out the pass rush, then go for the long and developing plays. Our receivers are huge enough to beat any CB for the ball in those situations, but their catch reliability is an issue.

As long as we don't let the pass rush get Cam, as long as he steps in the pocket and takes shorter steps back like he did against the Cardinals, I expect the Rams to get worn out fast.

That's pretty much how every team plays the Rams.

Armyramfan

UDFA
Name
Spencer
Like previously stated, I really don't think the height advantage poses too much of threat against the rams secondary, more so the CBs especially if TruJ22 is back on the field. He's always matched up well against big receivers. For example, he held Calvin Johnson to 1 reception and 16 yards in the match up with the lions in 2015, also adding a pix six into the mix. I have seen enough throughout the grapevine to be confident in him playing this week. He has said he's feeling good and hopes coach gives him a chance. With that said, we are talking Rams football here and anything under the sun can happen. I personally believe smaller receivers, the golden Taint type give the rams the biggest run for their money.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I feel good about the Kelvin Benjamin match-up if Trumaine Johnson plays. Y'all might get a jump ball. They're called 50/50 balls for a reason. But Tru is one of the best in football on the defensive side at winning jump balls.

That's pretty normal for us to see. Gregg Williams sets his defense up with that in mind. It's a highly aggressive bend but don't break scheme. The point of the scheme is to force you to nickel and dime your way down the field. The thought process is that if you can go down the field on a methodical 10 play drive and score, go for it. Why? Because it's very difficult to do that 3 or 4 times over the entirety of a game. The Rams defense is incredible at creating negative plays. That's where the brilliance of the scheme is revealed. Creating negative plays generally stalls the drive.

It takes an incredible amount of patience to score against our defense.(unless they make a stupid mistake) You have to execute 8-12 times in a row. If you make a mistake and lose yardage, the drive will most likely stall. That's why our defense tends to give up yards but remains very difficult to score against.

My expectation is that we'll mush rush Cam with Ogletree spying. We'll back off and take away the deep ball. We'll force Cam to throw underneath and throw between levels of defenders. We'll force your offense to be patient and methodical. From there, it'll all come down to execution.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Disagree. You absolutely need tall CBs to defend against jump balls in the end zone. It only happens a few times a game as you said, but if you can't defend it, you're giving up 7 to 14 pts in a flash and that will decide games. Good coverage won't often save you on a jump ball against a competent receiver with half a foot on you. See: Jenkin's time as a Ram. Like many things in life, a CB corps needs a diverse skill set.

not saying having height isnt a good thing to have, just that its an overrated skill. Yes a guy with height and good cover skills beats a smaller guy with good cover skills, but a smaller guy with great to elite cover skills trumps both of them. Revis is 5'11 which is still on the smaller end, yet in his prime theres wasnt a single cb I'd take over him, including Sherman. In fact most great CBs were in that 5'10 to 6ft range where hill and gaines would fit. Like I said height is nice to have, but I think most teams are willing to give up that advantage on those 2 or 3 jump balls if it means having the advantage the rest of the game were coverage means more than height.

While I dont doubt the panthers have had success just throwing it up to their tall WRs, and may very well have success with it vs the rams, your gif does nothing to prove your point. Kelvin's height had no effect on that play considering he went up against a similar height CB (and probably the tallest CB in the league) and didnt even out jump Sherman (notice sherman's hands are higher). Sherman just happened to miss play the ball as it went through his hands and Earl simply over ran it, he didnt get "mossed" or anything.

actually after watching that a few times, its a pretty terrible pass to be honest, and Cam got quite lucky the defenders really miss played it or thats an easy pick.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Was that even a catch? That ball may have hit the ground, someone call the Commish!:fuelfire: