Rams continue to look at O-line prospects/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams continue to look at O-line prospects
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e5c1480f-836f-5f5c-8f0e-e45116040b9f.html

Three guard prospects were on hand Tuesday at Rams Park as the team continues to kick the tires on several offensive line prospects. Paying pre-draft visits were Ali Marpet of Hobart, Tre Jackson of Florida State, and Jamil Douglas of Arizona State.

Marpet is the NCAA Division III phenom from Hobart who gained notice for his work at the Senior Bowl and then ran a 4.98 at the NFL Scouting Combine at 307 pounds _ or just off the 4.97 time in the 40 posted by expected No. 1 overall pick quarterback Jameis Winston of Florida State.

Although he started 37 consecutive games at left tackle at Hobart, he's projected as a guard in the NFL.

Jackson, on the other hand, is all about right guard. He started 42 games for Florida State as a college player, and all 42 came at right guard, a position manned largely by Davin Joseph last season for the Rams.

A wide-body at 6-3 1/2, 330 pounds, Jackson also had a good Senior Bowl week, getting named South team MVP. Like Marpet, he projects somewhere in the second_ to fourth-round range.

Douglas began his career at Arizona State playing left guard, where he started 27 times in 2012 and '13. He was switched to left tackle last season, starting 13 games and being named a team captain. At 6-4, 304, he projects as a mid-round pick.

The Rams have had at least six offensive linemen pay pre-draft visits to date, with Stanford offensive tackle Andrus Peat, Louisville guard/tackle Jamon Brown, and Duke guard Laken Tomlinson in previously.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Are you scared? Rams kicking the 2nd-4th round tires? You know exactly what Fish is thinking. How can I plug some holes without using the premium picks?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are you scared? Rams kicking the 2nd-4th round tires? You know exactly what Fish is thinking. How can I plug some holes without using the premium picks?

I don't think that I would want it any other way. I would rather he goes for the best possible player in round 1. If that guys sitting at ten is not so great then trade back and take an extra second round pick and get BPA at say 19, the draft could possibly look like this:

1. (trade back far enough to get an extra second, maybe 19) Whoever they think is BPA, Gurley? Erving? Cornerback?
2. Again BPA
2b. Tomlinson or Marpet
3. BPA
4.Tre Jackson/Jamon Brown/Jamil Douglass ( one of them)

That draft would net them a great player in round 1 and 2 and still land them two or three good Olinemen to rebuild the Oline with. I would be happy.

thehammer

Rookie
I don't think that I would want it any other way. I would rather he goes for the best possible player in round 1. If that guys sitting at ten is not so great then trade back and take an extra second round pick and get BPA at say 19, the draft could possibly look like this:

1. (trade back far enough to get an extra second, maybe 19) Whoever they think is BPA, Gurley? Erving? Cornerback?
2. Again BPA
2b. Tomlinson or Marpet
3. BPA
4.Tre Jackson/Jamon Brown/Jamil Douglass ( one of them)

That draft would net them a great player in round 1 and 2 and still land them two or three good Olinemen to rebuild the Oline with. I would be happy.

Douglas did 28 lifts and had great short times...made the athletic freak list...
or
1,pba
2.mlb
3.qb
4.oline

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Douglas did 28 lifts and had great short times...made the athletic freak list...
or
1,pba
2.mlb
3.qb
4.oline

I think they need at least two Olinemen. The Oline depth is not good right now so probably 3-4 but two of the depth guys could come later in the draft or as UDFAs. However even if they sign one of Blalock or Wisneiwski they would still need two guys capable of starting. That could be your BPA in round 1 followed by your Oline in round 4.

I think a QB in round 3 will be a forced pick. I don't like any of the qbs available.

MLB in round 2? I agree that the Rams MLB depth is scary. LB depth is too shallow across the board. But is there really a starting caliber MLB available in round 2? I think this is a weak class for 4/3 Middle linebackers.....unless of course they choose to go away from the Laurinitis model that is good in coverage and average against the run. But if they went with a guy like McKinney it really limits the versatility on defense. Instead of Barron being a pass rusher he has to drop into coverage more and that is not his forte. Maybe they use Joyner in that role? Or maybe they start to sub Laurinitis in on passing downs and play McKinney more on running downs? That sort of tips your hand a bit though.

I know they have been scouting linebackers pretty hard this year but that group seems very limited this year.

Stel

Starter
To me, the visits seem focused a lot on players who likely will be the BPA at #10, day 2 to early day 3 OLs and LBs, and QBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If we don't get one of the top 3 line man I will be highly upset

The trouble with that statement is that it seems nobody agrees who the top 3 Olinemen are. You may think the Rams didn't get any of the top three and they could feel that they got all of the top three.

Athos

Legend

Due diligence. There are some quality lineman that are going to slip and be steals in this draft imo. Especially for the interior.

To me, the visits seem focused a lot on players who likely will be the BPA at #10, day 2 to early day 3 OLs and LBs, and QBs.

Pretty much. In a lean draft of elite talent at the top, you hedge your bets on who drops to you at 10 and roll with them and worry about everything else later.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
All those guards can play. I like that list: Tre Jackson - G is a mauler who sticks to his man. Excellent run blocker. Nasty, to the whistle, great feet, keeps head on a swivel, plays more athletic than he tests. Power off the snap, drives guys. 2nd rounder to me. Jamil Douglas - G/OT is one of the underrated Guards in this draft, outstanding movement skills. ASU does some real funky stuff, where he does a lot of blocking in space, sometimes, a lot of space. He's extremely mobile. I think he's rising, he plays real hard, understands angles. My only knock is that he needs more work in pass pro. Early 3rd to 4th round grade on him, depends if you think he can play some ORT. His talent is undeniable.

Ali Marpet - G/C, has proven to be a good athlete, and according to coaches and scouts, coachable. I like what I've seen, but I've seen very little of him at the combine, and Senior Bowl. Laken Tomlinson - G/C, got invited to the draft, he may be considered one of the best Guards by whoever makes that list. Excellent anchor, wins one on ones. I saw him late of the snap a few times, and didn't always play to the whistle. He looks like a natural Center prospect to me. I have a 2nd round grade on him, but really appears to have elevated himself, post season. Jamon Brown - G/OT 3rd to 4th round guy, but again, great feet, movement skills. Tests well athletically, he is more of a versatile guy, and needs some solid coaching, IMO. Very long arms for his size. One of the first guys we had in...Devante Parker connection? I see him as more of a Guard, but has the ability to play some OT, IMO.

Chaz Green, Daryl Williams, Donovan Smith, these are all OT/G prospects that I think can play soon, and would fit our team. Don't know if we've looked at them. We seem to be looking earlier at pure OT only prospects, and a little later at G/C prospects.

Last edited:

Stel

Starter
Peat, Collins Clemens

Here's what I find interesting about your concern. I only have one of those in my top 3. There is no concensus as to who the top 3 are, although most have Scherff as one of them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Here's what I find interesting about your concern. I only have one of those in my top 3. There is no concensus as to who the top 3 are, although most have Scherff as one of them.
And there lies the problem, not enough separation to have some clear cut guys, but, there is some depth, and players on the OL that can be had, that will be able to play. This position, this year, because of that, you don't blow the value on a guy that high, unless you love him. If he honestly, whoever he is, meets that value, and need....great. I don't see it. It's the same reason why I didn't want Watkins last year...the separation of talent at WR, came in all shapes and sizes, and was deep, but no clear cut -- Calvin Johnson (or any name you want here) type for me.

lockdnram21

Legend
I forgot about Scherff. I would switch him with collins

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
GOD YES. Marpet and Douglas are awesome. Not a fan of Tre Jackson, but I'm glad that they're showing interest in the two I mentioned. Proves that they know who's talented.

Douglas in particular is someone that I'm going to be banging the drum for. Marpet's good. Douglas is arguably one of the most underrated players in this entire draft and is a legit second round talent who might fall further than expected.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
GOD YES. Marpet and Douglas are awesome. Not a fan of Tre Jackson, but I'm glad that they're showing interest in the two I mentioned. Proves that they know who's talented.

Douglas in particular is someone that I'm going to be banging the drum for. Marpet's good. Douglas is arguably one of the most underrated players in this entire draft and is a legit second round talent who might fall further than expected.