Rams continue O-line dancing in search of right mix/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams continue (offensive) line dancing in search of right mix
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...offensive-line-dancing-in-search-of-right-mix

ST. LOUIS -- From the moment he arrived in St. Louis after the 2015 NFL draft, Rams offensive lineman Jamon Brown has made his home at right guard.

In the months since, Brown hadn't so much as taken a rep at any other position. Until Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

In something of a surprise, Brown started the game at left guard, his first exposure to the position since he was a freshman in college. The Rams used Demetrius Rhaney, who started last week's game against Tennessee, at right guard. Barrett Jones got the start in the middle.

Brown said he got word from Fisher within the past couple of days but it must have come on Friday or Thursday night because as recently as Thursday's practice, Brown was still playing on the right side.

"Coach gave me the heads up that they were going to move me to the left side, try to work me around different spots on the line," Brown said. "It wasn't too bad. It's all the same, really. You have just got to flip everything in your head but really other than that, the techniques and stuff are all the same. It's just flipping stances."

Asked about the shuffling after the game, Fisher said he simply wanted to get some of his linemen opportunities to play other spots.

"Just getting them work," Fisher said. "He played quite a bit on the left side in college and we wanted to get him some work there."

To be clear, Brown said he hadn't played left guard since his freshman year of college, though he did play left tackle when he was at Louisville. Rhaney had played some at left guard during the week but worked at right guard during the game and drew praise from Fisher for his ability to get to the second level for blocks, especially in the screen game.

But while Fisher downplayed the moving pieces on his offensive line, it's reasonable to think that some of these moves might be in play long-term. Projected left guard Rodger Saffold is still recovering from a shoulder injury and sat out Saturday night, but he has a history of playing both guard spots. In a smaller sample size, Saffold was better at right guard in 2013 than left guard in 2014 and it would make sense to plug him in there next to rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein when he returned.

Likewise, moving Brown to the left side would allow the Rams the chance to spread the inexperience around the line rather than having both rookies start on the right side.

Only time will tell if the Rams decide to make the move more permanent, but it wouldn't be a surprise if the temporary moves made Saturday night become a bit more permanent in the future.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I love the idea of Brown at LG and Saffold at RG. Rhaney did indeed step up last night. He's a much better guard than center it appears from this small sample.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That explains the play where it appeared that GRob missed his man but it looked to me like it was an assignment screw up by the guard.

We were lucky that we didn't lose our QB to this experiment!:eek:

Alan

Legend
I think this more to do with their confidence in Brown than just the Saffold injury and his preference. The desire to protect Foles blind side and the advantage of having both sides having a vet is the optimal solution right? They already knew Saffold preferred RG so It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Injury, preference and spacing out the rookies.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Its Barnes' start next week and he better make the very most against the Chiefs. I hope his leg is close to 100% or it will be a very rough night come final cut. After watching Jones I'm really hoping Barnes can save the day and step up BIGTIME for us. Coach O' told me in private in June it was Barnes' job to lose and Its just been way too close but I have to agree that Barnes if healthy is our starter. Don't hate me coach for saying anthing. I did'nt mention the most important part . We need the best we got. Wish Wichman had a healthy offseason and a chance to be our Pivot man. He was in on our rushing TD at OG.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' offensive line still in flux as opener nears
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_dfe5fe89-f201-52c7-b855-0ab9b5dfca06.html

Just when you thought the Rams were zeroing in on their starting offensive line for the regular season, the coaching staff has added a couple of more different-colored squares to their Rubik’s cube up front.

After spending the entire spring, training camp and preseason lining up at right guard, there was third-round draft pick Jamon Brown at left guard Saturday against Indianapolis.

Center Demetrius Rhaney was switched to left guard last week after Brandon Washington struggled there in back-to-back preseason games in place of the injured Rodger Saffold.

But Rhaney started at right guard against the Colts after working all week at left guard. Saffold still isn’t back in the lineup, although coach Jeff Fisher says he’s close.

And the three-ring circus continues at center, with Barrett Jones finally getting his turn in the big top Saturday with a start against Indy.

Does it all sound confusing? Join the club. At a time when you’d think the Rams would be settling into their starting five for the opener two weeks hence against Seattle, the line situation looks as unsettled as ever — at least for the three starting spots between left tackle Greg Robinson and right tackle Rob Havenstein.

“Yeah, we’re gonna settle soon,” Fisher said Sunday after reviewing tape of the Rams’ 24-14 loss to the Colts. “The opener’s around the corner. It doesn’t mean to say we’re gonna settle this week, because we haven’t decided who’s gonna play and how much.”

Step one toward “settling in” would be the return of Saffold. He hasn’t practiced or appeared in a preseason game since tweaking a shoulder on the team’s fourth offensive play of the exhibition opener Aug. 14 in Oakland.

“He’s close,” Fisher said. “He’s doing pretty good.”

Although Fisher didn’t give a definitive answer Sunday, he hinted strongly that the move of Brown to left guard might be permanent. That means Saffold would switch from left guard — where he played all 16 games last season — to right guard, where he started five times in 2013 when initially making the move inside from tackle.

“We’re gonna consider it,” Fisher said. “Rodger’s really comfortable on the right, so it’ll be a consideration, and that’s particularly why we did it (Saturday). Line (Brown) up and let him work with Greg, and put Rodger over next to Rob.”

If such a move were made, Fisher said it wouldn’t be made simply because the coaches want to separate rookies Brown and Havenstein.

“No, I have no problem playing with them side-by-side,” Fisher said. “But just a feel, from the entire offensive line communication standpoint, we’re probably better that way.”

Brown said he hasn’t played left guard since his freshman year of college at Louisville, and he didn’t get word of the switch until the end of the practice week for Indy.

“Actually yesterday, a couple days ago,” Brown said in the locker room after Saturday’s game. “Something like that. Coach (Paul Boudreau) pulled me into his office and talked about it. He said he was trying to find the right combinations.”

Boudreau is the Rams’ offensive line coach. Brown’s pro debut at left guard was shortened by a sprained ankle, but he was comfortable at the new position while in the game.

“It wasn’t too bad,” Brown said. “It’s all the same really. You’ve just got to flip everything in your head, but other than that, pretty much the techniques and everything are all the same. Just flipping stances.”

All told, Brown participated in 21 of the 29 plays the first-team offense was on the field Saturday.

Meanwhile, at center, all three candidates now have gotten one start in the preseason after rotating on a daily basis in practice throughout training camp. Tim Barnes started the preseason opener in Oakland, followed by Rhaney versus Tennessee, and now Jones against Indianapolis.

“Barrett was good,” Fisher said. “He had the one issue. He had the one hold, but other than that, he was sliding well and communicated well. Did some things on the second level well. So I was pleased with him.”

The Jones penalty Fisher referred to actually was a facemask penalty, which is a 15-yard infraction as opposed to holding’s 10 yards.

“I was excited to be out there,” Jones said. “Definitely it felt good to be playing meaningful snaps in the first quarter. I think I did some good things. Obviously got some stuff to work on, but felt good out there.”

The day is drawing near for Fisher and Boudreau to decide on the starting center, so Jones and the two other candidates must be getting anxious. For the winner, it’ll be like getting a shiny new toy on Christmas. For the losers, try a lump of coal.

“This is not the answer you probably want,” Jones said. “You know the ‘serenity prayer’ — trying to control the things you can control? I think the things I can control are just working hard and trying to be the best player I can be, and the rest will hopefully take care of itself.

“I’m a competitor. I want to be the starter. I’m just working hard. I don’t know what else to say.”

At tackle, Fisher thought right tackle Havenstein played well against the Colts with the obvious exception of the sack allowed after getting beaten off the snap by Erik Walden. At left tackle, Fisher sees continuing improvement from Greg Robinson, who he said was coming off a good week of practice.

“I thought he and ‘JB’ (Brown) worked good together while JB was in, which is a good thing,” Fisher said.