Rams’ consistent O- line vows to rebound from Chicago woes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams’ consistent O- line vows to rebound from Chicago woes
By GREG BEACHAM
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article223031050.html

For nearly two full seasons, the Los Angeles Rams' offensive line has been the epitome of consistent excellence and the bedrock of a wildly prolific offense.When the line failed to reach its own lofty standards last weekend, the Rams (11-2) were reminded just how much they rely on those five blockers to allow Jared Goff and Todd Gurley to do their thing.

The line's shortcomings can be measured most easily, if imperfectly, in the numbers of those skill-position stars in the Rams' 15-6 loss to Chicago. Gurley rushed for just 28 yards, while Goff was sacked three times and threw four interceptions while under constant pressure from Khalil Mack and the Bears.

More broadly, the Rams' past three opponents have generated significantly more effective pass rushing against Goff than in Los Angeles' first 10 games. While coach Sean McVay scrambled to accept the blame for his prolific offense's rare misfire in Chicago, players across the offense — particularly on the line — also admit they need to be better if the Rams hope to be a real Super Bowl contender.

"From the way that we felt after the game, I don't think it was as bad as we think," left guard Rodger Saffold said. "But of course, it came down to just fundamentals. When you're in the heat of the game, especially emotionally, sometimes you do extra in order to try to make things happen, and you put yourselves in bad situations."

The Rams watched every mistake Wednesday during a detailed film session, reminding the linemen that even a unit as finely tuned as the Rams' offensive line must keep improving.
"We learned a lot coming out of that game," said Aaron Kromer, the Rams' offensive line coach and run game coordinator. "I think what you learned is when adversity hits at times, to go back to your fundamentals and techniques and not try to do something that's out of the ordinary. Anytime you get in a big game, it always comes back to staying calm and understanding exactly what you want to get done."

With Michael Bennett, Fletcher Cox and the defending champion Philadelphia Eagles (6-7) visiting the Coliseum on Sunday night, the Rams' linemen know they've got to fix their mistakes quickly.McVay was quick to point out that his play selection is a major factor in the line's success or failure."Anytime that you get some pressure, it's always a little bit more difficult to operate," McVay said. "I would say that it's a combination of some different things. I wouldn't say it's been a fall-off (by the offensive line) or anything like that. There's been specific instances and plays that might stand out that (are) typically uncharacteristic of what we've put on tape. But like anything else, we learn from it."

Not many offensive lines in recent history have been more effective or more consistent than the Rams' group.Los Angeles had the same five starters for 15 games last season before McVay played his second stringers in the regular-season finale. After Austin Blythe replaced Jamon Brown at right guard this season, the Rams again have had the same five starters in all 13 games.

That consistency has been a key to the Rams' success, and the linemen are determined to make sure it doesn't lead to complacency. Left tackle Andrew Whitworth is a team captain, while Saffold, center John Sullivan and right tackle Rob Havenstein also are veteran leaders of the entire roster."There's no sense of sitting here feeling bad for yourselves," Saffold said. "Just go out there and play."

A potential downside of the Rams' consistency and durability popped up in Chicago when both Sullivan and Saffold briefly left the game with injuries. Sullivan returned after being checked for a concussion, while Saffold missed five plays with an ankle injury.

Los Angeles has had only two backup offensive linemen on its roster for most of the season, fewer than most teams. Rookie tackle Joseph Noteboom and backup center Brian Allen got some rare playing time, but the developments also reminded the Rams how lucky they've been with injuries.

So the Rams on Wednesday re-signed lineman Jamil Demby, a sixth-round pick who was waived Sept. 8 when Aaron Donald ended his holdout. Demby had been on the Detroit Lions' practice squad for the past three months.That help won't be immediate, however: Although the Rams already know Demby well, Kromer said the rookie has still "got a ways to go as far as being game-ready."

Rams confident O-line can bounce back
Canada Sports News
December 12, 2018

https://ca.reuters.com/article/spor...=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401

Los Angeles Rams: The Rams’ offensive line is coming off of its worst performance of the season, allowing three sacks and five tackles for loss against the Bears, but coach Sean McVay isn’t concerned about the group. “I would say it’s been a combination of some different things,” he said Wednesday. “I wouldn’t say that it’s been a fall off or anything like that.” After facing a tough Chicago front, the test remains difficult this week against the Philadelphia Eagles. “Fletcher Cox is tough because he’s a guy that you can know what he is going to do to you and no matter what you do, he’s going to do it anyway,” left guard Rodger Saffold said of Philly’s 3-technique defensive tackle. Cox had three QB hits in L.A. last year and has 27 this year, second in the NFL behind Aaron Donald (33).

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I Hope So, They have been on a bit of a slide. I am no coach but I would love to see some high percentage quicker developing plays to help Jared get the ball out faster and get into a rhythm

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I had a bad feeling about that Chicago game for a while. Predicted we'd lose a fairly close game. I have faith Kromer and McVay will get everyone dialed in. I think we stomp the Eagles.

Getting punched in the mouth the last quarter of the season might benefit us in the long run come playoff time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had a bad feeling about that Chicago game for a while. Predicted we'd lose a fairly close game. I have faith Kromer and McVay will get everyone dialed in. I think we stomp the Eagles.

Getting punched in the mouth the last quarter of the season might benefit us in the long run come playoff time.
Maybe...But sometimes getting socked in the mouth, just leads to more of the same by future opponents who watched. Technique and experience has always been a strength for the Rams Oline, but the negative side is the age of Whit and Sully. They slowed down at the end of last season and it seemed that the cold of Chicago hasn't helped them this year.

If there's a chance for it, I would like to see Noteboom playing a lot versus the 49ers and the Cards, to see what we really have in him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If there's a chance for it, I would like to see Noteboom playing a lot versus the 49ers and the Cards, to see what we really have in him.

Great point sir and that line sure looked old against the Bears. Started to think maybe we miss the size of Jamon Brown, but let's see how they bounce back. The Rams will have some decisions to make next year with Rodger Saffold, but I'm glad Demby is back because I believe he does have a future in the NFL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Offensive line just became an offseason priority in draft and free agency.
The left three members of our offensive line are all well over 30.

Let's hope they can develop out Demby to be another Blythe.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, whatever the problem's been I hope they can sort it out. They were beat at the point of attack last game. Just plain got beat by the guys in front of them. They've been good for so long I have to wonder if the bye actually hurt more than helped. Seems like they've lost a bit of their rhythm since the bye.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In discussions here & many other social networks ....indicate this Rams OL unit is wearing down, performing slow, without power & plays tired as a unit the last two games. Can we state ....current OL has fallen off in performance? New fresh talented OL's will be needed in the near future. Snead will be forced to pay large cap funds $$$ for talented UFA's or utilize his dinky draft resources to select the needed new OL'ers.

OC John Sullivan who will be 34 yrs old when 2019 TC opens,is having big issues with strong DT's. Sully performance is most concerning in pass blocking. His time as a starter appears now to be closing. Starting RG Austin Blyth is Sullivan's probable replacement. Thus leaving a vacancy @ RG. Sullivan's cap cash hit this season was over $9 million.

Starting LG Rodger Saffold will be 31 yrs old & a UFA in a few months. His performance took a :eek:nose dive the last few weeks too. Snead stand a good chance in loosing him due to the fact that this 2019 UFA OG's is so poor & the FA market will be very high $$$ on what few UFA OG's are available. Very few teams are happy with their OL's & look to improve them ASAP in the off season.

Andrew Whitworth the oldest starting LT in the NFL when the season began & certainly looked like it last Sunday night. Is AW running on his old all pro resume fumes already?, we still have 3 games left in the season? We got this type of performance from him very late last season looks like it has arrive early this season:sadwalk:. Rams are contracted with AW for close to $16 million next season.

#1-Rams are seriously lucky in this area where they play 3 loosing teams to end the season. #2-Lucky that 2 will be @ home & the other @ State Farm dome Stadium in the southern desert of AZ. #3-Lucky to stand a high probability to have a bye the following week. #4-In addition the first playoff game will be @ home.

The above paragraph is sure to assist Kromer & his OL plenty of opportunities to get its act together. If McVay/ Kromer can repair & heal & rest up this OL enough to be able to go on to the NFC Championship Game in New Orleans the OL will have done its job. However its clear to me this current OL needs a major overhaul with new high quality component's parts in the off season.

Last edited:

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Take a look at Seattle and what they’ve done. They no longer ask Russel to carry the team. They employ a 6th olineman to bluster their run game. They are having good success on the ground which opens up the pass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand that Mc Vay spends most of his time on the sideline standing in a location where he can see what the secondary & the dropping LB'ers do in to passing lanes in order to figure out what offensive plays will work.

Maybe McVay & Kromer need locate themselves so they can help out their struggling wore down old OL .

If the Rams HC & OC can't help this unit to be in a better successful position on their blocks .......this season may be in peril. I suggest getting those three RB's a great amount of work the next 3 games and there is no reason beat Gurley to mush when he has two fresh young good RB's just wasting away on the bench. In addition the WR's & TE can get some quick throw action with the screen pass & jets sweep. Looks like these plays have been removed from McVays playbook. Cooper, Woods & Everett are outstanding prospects in these plays. :confused:

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
The Bears game is a bit of a blur now. Haven't rewatched it. Their defensive line seemed quicker and stronger. You hope the coaches and players mistakes are correctable. Both groups are smart but, is the offensive line physically able to stand up to that loaded Bears defensive line and Lbers. With a strong end to the season at the Rams won't be playing in the cold weather of Chicago.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We did play the best defense in the NFL in Chicago.
I still didn't think we would look that bad - particularly the O line.
Goff looked shook up and surprised.

Let's hope his confidence is not shaken.

Maybe rotate some O lineman in with the starters and give the older guys some rest and give experience to the backups these last three games.

Definitely a bye week would help, (and if we make it that far) the week off before the Super Bowl as well.