Rams considering taking O-lineman in Round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-not-closing-door-on-taking-o-lineman-in-round/article_9a0bb7f2-fa7b-5a73-b1a8-2d0e13d4acb0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 4acb0.html</a>

51285581a9ac3.preview-620.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS • When it comes to drafting offensive linemen in the first round, Jeff Fisher made it crystal clear Friday that history may not repeat itself.

In his 16 full seasons as head coach of the Houston-Tennessee franchise, Fisher never drafted an offensive lineman in the first round.

So would he be comfortable taking a guard or tackle in the first round as he prepares for his second NFL draft with the Rams?

“Yeah. I’d draft just about any position in the first round, except maybe a kicker or punter,” Fisher said. “We don’t need those.”

That can’t be said about the offensive line, particularly the left guard and right tackle positions. Those are definite areas of need.

Asked the same question earlier Friday, general manager Les Snead also kept the door wide open.

“Here’s what we need. We need the best players,” Snead said. “Traditionally guard, right tackle, maybe they’re not valued for some reason.”

But if a guard or right tackle is “gonna actually dominate, help us really become a dominant team, draft that,” Snead said.

Apparently, those weren’t idle comments, because offensive tackles Lane Johnson of Oklahoma and D.J. Fluker of Alabama both said they had formal — or “suite” — interviews with the Rams at the NFL scouting combine. Fluker’s took place Thursday night and Johnson’s on Friday evening.

Teams can hold such interviews with only 60 players in this year’s total of 333 combine participants, so teams must be judicious in how they fill out their guest list. Johnson is considered the third-best tackle prospect at the draft; Fluker is considered the fourth-best. That means both could be in range when the Rams pick at No. 16 and No. 22 overall in the first round.

But whether it’s on the offensive line, or at the skill positions, the Rams want to improve the league’s 25th-ranked scoring offense and 23rd-ranked total offense from 2012.

“Obviously we want to get better in scoring offense,” Snead said. “That’s the No. 1 priority. Score points, win games.

“Offensive playmakers and weapons come in all shapes and sizes. They can be 5 foot 8, they can be 6 foot 5. They can come in and help you block and score points that way. They can also be on the defensive side of the ball, because if you keep that team from scoring that helps your offense.”

Complicating the task is the uncertain status of two of the team’s top offensive players: running back Steven Jackson and wide receiver Danny Amendola. Amendola is an unrestricted free agent; Jackson becomes one if he voids — as expected — the final year of his contract before the start of free agency March 12.

“We’ve had discussions with Eugene Parker (Jackson’s agent), and thus far things look good,” Fisher said. “I think it’s identifying what both sides want moving forward. ‘Jack’ knows how I feel about him and that we want him back. But we’ve got time. We’ve got a few more weeks and we’ll see where it goes.”

Weighing Amendola’s value is complicated by injury issues over the past two seasons.

“Just like intangibles come into play, just like physical skill comes into play, just like production comes into play, your ability to be on the field comes into play,” Snead said. “That’s a fact of life. I think everybody knows it, and I’d be remiss to not tell you that. So yes, you have to weigh that.”

But any uncertainty on Jackson or Amendola has not affected the scouting department in terms of preparation for the draft or free agency.

“They’re gonna know the whole board,” Snead said.

Besides, Fisher pointed out that the Rams will have a feel on what happens with Jackson and Amendola long before the draft in late April, and even before the start of free agency March 12.

Obviously, losing Jackson and Amendola would put holes in those plans to upgrade the offense.

“We’ve said all along, we’d like to have both of them back,” Fisher said. “They’re key members of our team. But if that doesn’t happen, you have to address and fill those voids.”

Another good offseason in terms of player acquisition could make the Rams bona fide playoff contenders in 2013. But Fisher is a big believer in player development and feels members of his rookie-laden 2012 roster have plenty of room to improve, starting with the offseason conditioning program and on into training camp and the preseason.

On offense, that list includes wide receivers Brian Quick and Chris Givens, and running backs Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead and Terrance Ganaway. All were rookies last season.

“They’re no longer rookies,” Fisher said. “They understand what they have to go through. They’re gonna come in for the offseason program and they’re gonna improve. We identify strengths and weaknesses in not only the younger players but all of our players — and you have to address those things during the offseason.”

And at the end of the day, some combination of Richardson, Pead and Ganaway could be called upon to replace Jackson.

“They’re options,” Fisher said. “I’m not one to deal in hypotheticals. We drafted Isaiah because we felt like he has a chance to be a good back, not necessarily just a change of pace back for ‘Jack,’ but the guy. Daryl can be the guy. Most everybody is using multiple backs in their offense. Ganaway has an opportunity. And there’s a number of really good backs in the draft this year.”

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Not unhappy with picking up a guard if he is considered the best player . Anything that can better protect Sam is a plus.

jap

Legend
I still remember seeing Sam behind that huge OL at Oklahoma as a sophomore. I remember thinking he had one of the most accurate arms I ever saw at the collegiate level and wondered what that arm could look like tweaked to cutting edge accuracy at the pro stage behind a dominant OL.

This poor kid has had to struggle behind rag-tag lines and the worst receiving corps in the league ever since he came in as a rookie. To his credit, he has hung in there and, even more, still wants to improve, is still his toughest critic.

Give this young kid a dominant OL and some decent receivers with hands, separation, some downfield speed, and I believe we will see Sam I Am's skills coalesce together and a premium QB will emerge by mid-season. He may need the 1st half of the year to rid himself of the jumpiness caused by the poor-to-average OL's of his first three seasons. However, Sam looks like the type who is smart enough to have everything come together quickly once he is given a solid operational environment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wouldn't bother me much either. Like jap says, this kid's due some solid protection by now for cryin' out loud. I really don't think I'll be disappointed with any move they make in the first round. Trade, pick a WR, OL, TE, S, LB, whatever. Just don't take a P, K or QB, and I'm fine.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I just watched Fluker a few minutes ago, he needs to be inside JMO,road grader at guard liability at tackle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thordaddy said:
I just watched Fluker a few minutes ago, he needs to be inside JMO,road grader at guard liability at tackle.

If Fisher & Snead are looking @ DJ Fluker as some reports say then Those two guys along with Demoff are looking @ that 8 million attached to Harvey Dahl's butt! Not goo DJ is a clone of Barry Richardson that is even better @ run blocking buttmonkey DJ feet are just too slllllloooooooooww up against pass rushing DE. I don't care if his arms are four feet long! He is also a big reach @ #22.....bad move. A much better OT is Menelik Watson with a much higher ceiling he is tailor made for Paul Boudreau to get his hands on this talent Sky's the limit! Menelik could be there @#46 too. Maylock says Menelik can play both OT posts plus move inside to either OG post. Thats a four OL
positional swinger in one package.

jap said:
I still remember seeing Sam behind that huge OL at Oklahoma as a sophomore. I remember thinking he had one of the most accurate arms I ever saw at the collegiate level and wondered what that arm could look like tweaked to cutting edge accuracy at the pro stage behind a dominant OL.

This poor kid has had to struggle behind rag-tag lines and the worst receiving corps in the league ever since he came in as a rookie. To his credit, he has hung in there and, even more, still wants to improve, is still his toughest critic.

Give this young kid a dominant OL and some decent receivers with hands, separation, some downfield speed, and I believe we will see Sam I Am's skills coalesce together and a premium QB will emerge by mid-season. He may need the 1st half of the year to rid himself of the jumpiness caused by the poor-to-average OL's of his first three seasons. However, Sam looks like the type who is smart enough to have everything come together quickly once he is given a solid operational environment.

Yes and did I say yes! Its time for Snead & Fisher to show Sam something besides WORDS. Build That Pocket!

Speeps

Starter
It seems to me that the theme for this offseason is "give Sam Bradford the tools to succeed." I'm all for the Rams fortifying the offensive line early in the draft, but we have to remember that this is an extremely deep offensive line as, well as WR draft.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think if a Johnson or Warmack falls to 16 you gotta take them based on BPA and need. I can see Patterson over Johnson maybe, but personally I think it would be smarter to take Johnson. Receiver/S also should be addressed in the first three rounds.