Rams Coaching Staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What the 'ell are they giving away in Atlanta???? :woozy2:
I'm guessing it's career-advancement.

Jones and Black had titles of Offensive Assistants. Guessing they will get position titles in Atlanta.

For example, KJ Black worked with Zac Robinson (QB coach and Pass Game Coordinator). With Robinson the OC, maybe Black gets the title of QB-coach with the Falcons.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Not counting this Tim Berbenich guy, that's seven subtractions from the Rams 2023 Coaching Staff (Morris, Henderson, Robinson, Lake, Springer, Black and Jones) with just one confirmed addition (Giff Smith).
This is absurd. I can't remember a year so bad.

oldnotdead

Legend
Personally I think the Rams have a good DC now. This guy could be another McVay like coaching talent, smart, well liked by the players and creative. It's why I've been contending that his experience with Phillips, Staley and Morris will serve him well and is an advantage.

Hopefully, he can keep Pleasant by adding assist DC to his title. Regardless I'm feeling good about Shula and think this year's team could be very good on both sides of the ball.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This is absurd. I can't remember a year so bad.
I would take a bet that McVay has had a larger number of coaches leave in one off-season.

I got curious, so I checked ... there are sites and databases for everything now.

Just last off-season (2023) there were Ten Rams' coaches that left McVay's staff.
Now some were let go; and it's still early in the off-season.

Also think the quality and level of the coach leaving is far more important than the number that leaves.

Last edited:

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
I wonder how many coaches are poached from the 9 ers and chiefs staff each year and if it's comparable or does McVay have the largest turnover of coaches. Morris had a lot of coaches wanting to be with him obviously for money, career and
advacement but I wonder if they were leaving McVay happily. Fingers crossed he can continue to find quality coaches to help him. Interesting how this plays out next year. His staff did an amazing job in 23. Go rams.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I would take a bet that McVay has had a larger number of coaches leave in one off-season.

I got curious, so I checked ... there are sites and databases for everything now.

Just last off-season (2023) there were Ten Rams' coaches that left McVay's staff.

Also think the quality and level of the coach leaving is far more important than the number that leaves.
Damn good research and interesting find.. I seem to remember last season we openly expected a big staff turnover? Maybe I'm wrong.

This year seems like more of a surprise.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This year you cannot blame some of the coaches that went with Raheem for a promotion, more money and I believe Raheem had to do with some of them being brought in like Jimmy Lake for example.

I totally understand and now one again McVay has to retool his coaching staff. Then you have the Detroit Lions and because their OC who is an odd one does not lose anyone and the Chiefs also, who also seem to keep all their assistants somehow.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMG_8866.jpeg

That’s their old and new positions.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
This year is on the extreme end because a HC was hired from the Rams staff. Likely if Raheem stayed, the number would've been about half what it is now.

The price of success. The good news is that young, upcoming coaches looking for a promotion will leap to the Rams if given a chance.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Surprised we haven't heard Thomas Brown heading back here... did he get a position elsewhere?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think a lot of the names that are leaving with Morris are probably more solid than they are great. In other words not too difficult to replace.

No idea what to expect from Shula. My read on the guy from the easy chair is that he's more suited to keg stands at parties than deep analysis of opposing offenses. So that is why I was so surprised he was chosen over Staley who obviously was up against him for that job. But there's also a reasonable chance that he's not a big dropoff from what Morris was for us, which is a guy who was good enough to get the job done.

Not gonna bag on him as I am actually hopeful that he's a revelation as a DC. And if that happens then we'll get one year from him and maybe a title run before he gets hired away. But I'm also not gonna get all geeked up about him either as to me he has a lot to prove just like I was with Morris early on. He's also got more to prove than Morris as well, in terms of knowing who he is as a gameplanner and gameday caller.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Two articles today reporting Rams interviewing two experienced coaches for current openings.

Just reports of interviews. Both experienced guys.

Greg Williams (not THAT Gregg Williams) who was the Packers' Defensive Pass-Game-Coordinator (title held by Jimmy Lake) for the Rams LB-coach-position (Chris Shula's title, along with Pass-Rush-Coordinator). Williams has 15 years NFL coaching experience, mostly with defensive backs.

Ricky Brumfield who is the Special Teams Coordinator at Georgia Tech for the Rams' Assistant ST-Coordinator (job held by Jeremy Springer). Brumfield has over 20 years experience ... mostly in college.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
This year you cannot blame some of the coaches that went with Raheem for a promotion, more money and I believe Raheem had to do with some of them being brought in like Jimmy Lake for example.

I totally understand and now one again McVay has to retool his coaching staff. Then you have the Detroit Lions and because their OC who is an odd one does not lose anyone and the Chiefs also, who also seem to keep all their assistants somehow.
It almost makes you wonder if perhaps most first-year assistants come in with a mindset to depart after a year or two.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Two articles today reporting Rams interviewing two experienced coaches for current openings.

Just reports of interviews. Both experienced guys.

Greg Williams (not THAT Gregg Williams) who was the Packers' Defensive Pass-Game-Coordinator (title held by Jimmy Lake) for the Rams LB-coach-position (Chris Shula's title, along with Pass-Rush-Coordinator). Williams has 15 years NFL coaching experience, mostly with defensive backs.

Ricky Brumfield who is the Special Teams Coordinator at Georgia Tech for the Rams' Assistant ST-Coordinator (job held by Jeremy Springer). Brumfield has over 20 years experience ... mostly in college.
Who was Georgia Tech’s kicker this year?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Who was Georgia Tech’s kicker this year?
Aidan Birr. 89.5% on field goals, 97.4% on extra points, forty-eight yard long kick. And he's a redshirt-freshman.

...Yes, I looked it up, just for you, Den. :laugh2::smilehearts:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Aidan Birr. 89.5% on field goals, 97.4% on extra points, forty-eight yard long kick. And he's a redshirt-freshman.

...Yes, I looked it up, just for you, Den. :laugh2::smilehearts:
You should change your name to Grace because you’re simply amazing!