Rams check out more veteran linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/rams-check-out-more-veteran-linebackers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nebackers/</a>
Rams check out more veteran linebackers
The Rams spent some time with free agent linebacker Takeo Spikes this week, but he’s not the only veteran addition they’re contemplating at the moment.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Will Witherspoon and Chris Gocong are visiting with the Rams on Thursday. If they wind up signing Witherspoon, it will be a double reunion.

Witherspoon played four seasons for the Rams from 2006-2009 and he also spent the 2010 season playing for current Rams coach Jeff Fisher as a member of the Titans. He remained with the Titans in each of the last two seasons but moved from the starting lineup to a reserve role in 2012.

There hasn’t been much other reported interest in Witherspoon this offseason, but Gocong did have a tryout with the Eagles in May that didn’t lead to a contract. Gocong was released by the Browns in April after missing the entire 2012 season because of an Achilles injury. He had started 32 straight games for the Browns before his injury, however.

The Rams could just be filling out their in case of emergency list at linebacker, but their lack of experienced depth to go with James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar suggests that they’ll be adding someone to the group before camp.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I could get on board with Will Witherspoon. He's a good pass rusher. I'm just wondering what the sudden interest in veteran LB's is all about. Sounds like they don't want any surprises with injuries this year and are hedging their bets back there.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X with a half full glass:
I could get on board with Will Witherspoon. He's a good pass rusher. I'm just wondering what the sudden interest in veteran LB's is all about. Sounds like they don't want any surprises with injuries this year and are hedging their bets back there.

Or they don't like what they're seeing in OTAs. :?!:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:

I seriously doubt that. There's only one new guy, and by all accounts, they're happy with him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Smart to have a veteran in camp at all positions but the youth movement is in full bloom. Surprised veteran Safeties are not visiting as well.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I read that the rams brought in giardorno and abram elam in for a look. Nothing outstounding there but they are kicking the tyres on a few of them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our depth is thinest at?

Safety and Linebacker

The free agents we've been bringing in for a look-see?

Safety and Linebacker

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Will Witherspoon would be my choice of the ones mentioned. He can play both inside and out. The 3 starters are set in stone, but after Hull how much have the rest played? Are they good enough to start a dozen games if they have too?
I'm never in favor of cutting upside for a vet. but there is something to be said for having a out of the box safety net.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yamahopper said:
Will Witherspoon would be my choice of the ones mentioned. He can play both inside and out. The 3 starters are set in stone, but after Hull how much have the rest played? Are they good enough to start a dozen games if they have too?
I'm never in favor of cutting upside for a vet. but there is something to be said for having a out of the box safety net.

Well said, Yama.

I'm not sure Witherspoon has what it takes anymore.

But, if the upside guys aren't on the roster - I'm game - for him or another vet.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram liking the idea:

Well said, Yama.

I'm not sure Witherspoon has what it takes anymore.

But, if the upside guys aren't on the roster - I'm game - for him or another vet.

I'm all in with the blue stuff.

A55VA6

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Our depth is thinest at?

Safety and Linebacker

Safety and Linebacker
Exactly. I'm all for bringing in a veteran player at S and LB.

I like Witherspoon alot. Loved him when he played for us a few years back. Only 32.. he's got a few productive years left in a good role.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
CGI_Ram said:
Our depth is thinest at?

Safety and Linebacker

Safety and Linebacker

I agree..Doesn't necessarily mean they're not happy with what they see in OTA's (especially in helmets and shorts), but rather an example that there is nothing wrong with veteran presence. If depth can be made out of such a signing, then it's a plus.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - if you can pop a guy in who's "been there done that", it could prevent you from taking a real backward step compared to someone who has only really watched the others play in real games. I just don't want us to be looking at these guys as starters. It would indicate to me that they don't view some of the young depth as having even real potential as they'd likely have to cut some of them..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - if you can pop a guy in who's "been there done that", it could prevent you from taking a real backward step compared to someone who has only really watched the others play in real games.
You mean like Leber and Poppinga? :ragin:

I know - it's different. These guys might have an off-season (though it's getting late).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
albefree69 said:

You could be right but it could also be that they want to shore up the group with a vet or two just to be safe.

I think the difference between the two thoughts is kinda minimal though.

Other than JL have any of the LBs finished puberty yet?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
[LesBaker wrote:

You could be right but it could also be that they want to shore up the group with a vet or two just to be safe.

And that's the thing. Like CGI said, I don't want to give up potential for a 1 year rental. If we have someone that is just holding a place then sure. If they have the money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we get to carry over a certain amount of the cap space we don't use this year to next year? Or am I dreaming that? If I'm remembering that correctly I'd rather save that until next year when we might need it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - if you can pop a guy in who's "been there done that", it could prevent you from taking a real backward step compared to someone who has only really watched the others play in real games.
You mean like Leber and Poppinga? :ragin:

I know - it's different. These guys might have an off-season (though it's getting late).

Um... yeah... in a nut shell.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
[LesBaker wrote:

And that's the thing. Like CGI said, I don't want to give up potential for a 1 year rental. If we have someone that is just holding a place then sure. If they have the money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we get to carry over a certain amount of the cap space we don't use this year to next year? Or am I dreaming that? If I'm remembering that correctly I'd rather save that until next year when we might need it.

Stu, waiting for someone to correct Albe writes: That's what I'm thinkin'

Too much? :whome?:

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
As I expressed here. http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12308&hilit=Witherspoon

I would LOVE for Spoon to return to the Rams. Now with Tree drafted, Spoon could be exclusively our backup LB at all 3 positions. Very versatile and I think he still has some good play left. Would be odd, at one time Spoon was arguably our best defender, could return as a backup later.

Welp I hope he wants back in and I hope Fisher signs him. Big fan of #51.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
biggame1190 said:
As I expressed here. http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12308&hilit=Witherspoon

I would LOVE for Spoon to return to the Rams. Now with Tree drafted, Spoon could be exclusively our backup LB at all 3 positions. Very versatile and I think he still has some good play left. Would be odd, at one time Spoon was arguably our best defender, could return as a backup later.

Welp I hope he wants back in and I hope Fisher signs him. Big fan of #51.

Yeah - big Spoon fan too. Just not sure how many times you go back to the well. Still - if Fish likes what he sees, I'll be interested to see him back in horns.