Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/2/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts only of the Q&A. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_98

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/2/15

Please don't tell me that Fisher is serious in claiming that the 3rd QB is still a competition? You don't cut your 4th round pick for a career backup.

Actually, Mannion was the team's third-round pick, and I can't see that happening. Especially since Mannion has played fairly well and certainly has flashed potential.
-------
On some ex rams - Wondering if Matt Daniels and Jake Long are with a team presently?

Matt Daniels was released earlier this week. Jake Long has made a couple of visits, but at least check he's still unemployed.
--------
Do you think RGIII has a future in the NFL or have injuries derailed his career?

Just haven't seen him develop yet into a pocket passer.
--------
what record do you see the Rams having this season? I have them at 8-8 at best. 5 to 6 wins at worse.

I haven't made my final decision yet, but I still see them at 9-7.
--------
We have seen Givens make some nice plays in preseason. Is he ahead of Bailey in the depth chart at WR. Could you rank the depth chart for the position.

I'd still rank them Britt, Quick and Austin in the top 3, then Bailey at No.4 and Givens at No. 5. But Givens certainly has been more noticeable this preseason than Bailey.
-------
Surprised Claiborne was cut. What corners make the roster?

I think the only 4 sure things are Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, and Roberson. The fifth corner may not be on the roster at this point. Although it seems like the Rams might want him to be McGee.
--------
On the east coast didn't see the Colts game. How did Quick look? Did he play much? Also, who do you think has the edge right now on the starting center job?

Quick was in for only 9 plays, wasn't targeted at all. I still have to say Barrett Jones at center.
-------
Any idea how much the Rams organization assists local charities? If they help the area non-profits, their departure would certainly negatively impact those organizations.

They seem to be very active in community. Do a lot of charity work. Yeah, I think it would leave a hole.
-------
Penalties, penalties, penalties. Do you attribute this to the young age of the team or is it time to start looking at coaching on this issue?

I think we've been looking as coaching as an issue on penalties for quite some time. Fisher's teams, even dating back to Tennessee, have also been highly penalized.
--------
With the NFL swimming in money, do you think they would ever increase the size of the game-day roster to help off-set the impact of the inevitable injuries?

Well, there is frequently talk of having more plays active on game-day. (Rather than expanding from 53.) Remember, teams don't get to dress all 53 on game day.
--------
The Rams could use a 3rd and 1 back. Any chance Brown makes the team as a pile driver?

Brown isn't what you would call a piledriver.
-------
How important is our next preseason game? What should we look for?

This is a game primarily for the backups _ for maybe the 30 guys on the back end of the roster fighting for a job. You don't want to get anyone hurt. Foles will play a series or two, at least that's the plan. Fisher has indicated that some of the young offensive linemen will play longer.
--------
What is your view of whether GRob and Havenstein can be above average OT's this year?

I think Robinson definitely can fit that description this year. I think Havenstein can get there.
-------
Could you give me a breakdown as to where ticket money goes once it leaves the fans pocket to where it ends up?

Roughly one-third goes to the visiting team; the rest goes to the home team.
-------
Robinson looks horrible at left tackle. Are we watching the same player?

Are you?
--------
Rumor has it Tavon Austin has had a great off season. Do you believe he will become the impact player he was drafted as this year?

I think he's better equipped to do so. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen.
-------
Robinson has looked tentative to me and he seems to have been beat a lot in pass coverage in this preseason. What have you seen?

He certainly had some bumpy moments early against Indianapolis, seemed to be leaning and a little off-balance. But I think overall he's been OK.
--------
First team offense struggles to get in the endzone in preseason. I've seen this movie before. I believe it's called "6-10, once again". Agree?

As Spags might say, I'm not ready to "go there" just yet.
-------
should we be concerned with the late shifting of the guards? Was it more Brown struggling or just that they like Saffold better on the Right side? Why wasnt this the plan from the start I wonder.

Yeah, a little strange that it took so long to make the switch.
-------
what's with all the problems with the o-line, again and again and again?

We've certainly seen this movie before, haven't we?
-------
How serious is Tre Mason's injury, could this be something that lingers all season, or will he truly be full tilt week 1 or week 2

Doesn't look like it's serious. But it might be optimistic to think he will be full go on Sept. 13.
-------
What do you think about Keenum over Austin Davis as the No.2 QB? I'm not impressed with Keenum.

Keenum has had some good moments. I would've just liked to have seen Davis get more of a chance this preseason than he did.
-------
Givens and Keenan won their battles. Gaines' injury ended that competition. Please handicap the last battles for us -- Jones/Barnes/Rhaney and Bayer/Cunningham.

As I've mentioned earlier, I give Jones a slight edge at center. At TE, Bayer is more of a pass catcher/Cunningham more of a blocker. Bayer's had a pretty quiet preseason compared to last season. I think it's also possible that Rams could keep only three TEs.
--------
Will the backup quarterback even matter this season with such a patched up offensive line? I mean, I guess that means Foles also has a good chance of becoming a punching bag a la Marc Bulger.

It's all hopeless.
--------
Consensus was that Havenstein was a small reach and Brown a huge reach. I might reverse that now. What are your thoughts?

Right now, Brown looks like the better pick. But we're talking about 10 series in the preseason.
Small sample size.
--------
Many were surprised that Mannion was 3rd QB taken. How does the choice look now based on what you have seen?

It looks like a good choice, but again, we're talking about six preseason series for Mannion. Small sample size.
--------
it's obvious Havenstein is not ready to start. Is there any chance the Rams bring in a veteran that gets cut or dare I say Jake Long to play right tackle. Then maybe 8-10 games in or if that vet gets injured give Havenstein his shot then?

Staff isn't ready to bail on Havenstein.
--------
A couple of seasons ago, Fisher treated preseason game 4 as the dress rehearsal not week 3. How much will the starters play tomorrow?

Foles will get a series or two, or at least that's the plan. I assume when he's in there, the starting offense will be there as well. Fisher indicated the young offensive linemen will play at little longer. I think on defense, particularly the front seven, is where you'll see some starters not playing at all.
---------
Is Rhaney's move to guard a permanent position change or is he still in the running for the starting job at center.

He's looked very good at guard, don't you think? I think that may be where the coaches are leaning at this point.
--------
Crazy thought: trade a low draft pick for RGIII? Then I guess the Rams get both sides of the trade...

Not sure why you would want him at this point.
--------
I would like to see fisher study up on some Darren sproles tape and switch tavon to a running back. I believe not just screen passes but putting tavon out on routes as a back should get him match ups he can better extort. Crazy enough to work?

He's simply too small to more than a bit player in the backfield.
---------
any thoughts on how well Bradford is playing and is he playing so well mainly because he has a very good supporting cast in Philly.

He played very well last week, no doubt. But he's only thrown 15 passes. Let's not get too excited just yet.
--------
Who has the better season/plays more games, Foles or Bradford?

Huge "if," but I think Bradford puts up better numbers if he plays in all 16 games.
--------
What exactly is the Brocks injury? Was it a preseason game injury or earlier than that?

Do you mean Brockers? Shoulder soreness. I saw it wrapped after the Oakland game. Don't know if that's when it happened.
--------
after fisher is gone, assuming kroenke is still the owner, what is the bigger impediment to attracting a quality coach: kroenke's ownership or the bad team?

If that happens, I'd say state of the team.
---------
Chances Gurley plays 1 play against Seattle?

5 percent
--------
Do you believe it would be a good idea for the Rams to work the first string a bit more than normal on our last preseason game tomorrow?

If it were me, I would've done that all preseason _ at least with the offense.
---------
Best offensive line: LT Saffold, LG Reynolds, C Jones, RG Rhaney, RT Brown

Well, since Brown hasn't played a snap at RT this preseason, and Saffold hasn't played a snap at LT, we may need a couple more weeks of camp.
---------
You knew it was going to happen - Bradford is still upright and tearing it up in Philly. Philly looks like they are fine tuning their offense in preseason, Rams can't even figure out who plays what position on their preseason "vanilla" offense. The gap is huge, how worried should we be about the Rams offense?

It's hard to see the Rams having all the moving parts smoothed out on offense in time for Seattle. Or even most of them.
--------
Covering baseball's Spring Training always sounds like a magical time for the sportswriters who get to go. NFL training camps sound like pure drudgery. On a scale of "magical to drudgery," how would you describe the NFL training camp experience for you?

The first week of camp is always a lot of fun. Then you can't wait until the first preseason game. Once the first preseason game arrives, things move pretty fast. The dynamic has been different this year, of course, because of the relocation talk and the Oxnard practices.
--------
What was the problem on the Andre Johnson TD? Miscommunication? Or just horrible coverage?

Busted coverage. But not sure who's to blame.
--------
When Barron comes in, what kind of D package are we in? Does he play more like a LB or is he a safety in those sets?

More like an LB.
--------
Who leads the team in catches this year? How about yards? Wonder if Tavon or Givens takes the step?

I'm gonna say Jared Cook.
--------
What are your thoughts on our new offensive coordinator?

It's crystal-clear that Schottenheimer was the root of all problems, isn't it?
--------
Do you agree with signing Foles before he has played one regular season game?

Personally, I would've liked to have seen him play some regular season games.
--------
Speaking of attendance at the first home game of the season, did Stan Kroenke bother to come check out how his asset was performing?

Did not see him, nor did I hear about him being there.
---------
Unless there is a surprise late player signing, the Rams have ____ salary cap money open. Can that go to resigning current players or it will just sit there unspent.

The Rams have about $4.5 million in cap space. Usually, they spend to the cap, or very close to the cap. So I think they'll try to re-sign more players.
--------
I know it's preseason, but from what you have seen should we have more confidence in our new offensive coordinator?

Well, it doesn't look all that pretty right now, agreed?
--------
Any news/comments on how the Jeff Garcia's influence has helped our team?

Not really. Let's see how these wide receivers perform.
--------
Wonder of your thoughts on Wisc draftee Haverstein being selected in higher round and if you think he'll be ok after some time (how long). Seems those tackles are gonna be gigantic toward team faring well.

I think he'll need some help early, particularly in some pass blocking situations. But I think he'll be OK.
--------
Do you think the Rams would have still made the Bradford/Foles trade with the info they have now? Bradford looking amazing - Foles just okay

Bradford has thrown 15 preseason passes; Foles 23. I don't think that's enough of a sample size to change anyone's mind.
--------
Do you believe Nick Foles has the arm strength to make all the deep throws accurately in order to stretch defenses? It seems that WHEN healthy Bradford has the stronger arm even though Foles is a physically bigger man.

I agree that Bradford has a stronger arm. But Foles has doesn't lack for arm strength. He can make the deep throws.
--------
It's starting to look like Pead might make the team. Who would have thought?

At least for 4 games. (While Watts is suspended.)
-----
Cardinals don't look unbeatable and the Niners are definitely beatable this season, however, do you really think the Lambs have a chance to at least split with the Seahawks this year ?

Yes. I think they will split with Seattle.
-------
From day one of training camp until now; who has impressed you the most of any Ram , veteran or rookie?

If I had to pick one, and only one, I'd say Aaron Donald.
--------
Was the attendance at the game last week the worst you've ever seen for a Rams game? I don't recall ever seeing so many empty seats preseason or not.

As I tweeted the night of the game, it's easily the smallest crowd I've seen at a Rams game, and I've seen them all in person _ preseason, regular season, postseason.
-------
I don't believe much of what Fisher or Sneed says publicly. Do you see them be well received by the LA Community/press?

If they win, yes.
--------
are the Rams interested in any of the players cut from other teams?

They look at them all.
--------
Forget about Passing game, I am worried about run game after 3 preseason games. Thoughts?

You're right. After all, wasn't this supposed to be the year the Rams REALLY emphasized the run game.
-------
Dont know if this was asked already but has there been word of regret for not going after any big name O linemen free agents. After all the O line still seems to be in a great deal of flux.

Not asked this week. I certainly would've signed one veteran FA to start instead of going all young.
---------
JT, how much fun do you think Mad mike would have had with Tavon? You think he would have a more well known name by now? Martz even made Trung look good.

Better question. What do you think Mike Martz would've done with Sam Bradford?
---------
Any surprises in the cuts made so far by Fisher?

Claiborne was a mild surprise. More surprising than the cuts so far in my mind were 2 cuts that weren't made: Austin Davis at QB, and Brandon McGee at CB.
---------
Is Fairly hurt?

I was told he has some soreness in the collarbone area. Not thought to be anything serious. He did some work at practice Tuesday.
--------
I was watching the Mike & Mike show this morning while they were discussing RGIII, they made mention that the Rams didn't make out very well on the trade basing it on our mediocre record the last three years. Their statements were way off-track, before the RGIII trade we had perhaps the worst roster in the NFL, now we have one of the top 1-3 defenses in the league and an outstanding LT in the making with Robinson!

I didn't here the show, but maybe their point was that all those picks haven't gotten the Rams over the hump. Also, it's not as if the Rams have turned two or three of those RGIII trade picks into Pro Bowlers. I myself think it's still a tad early to judge the RGIII trade.

Alan

Legend
"It's all hopeless."
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

It's very obvious that most of these questions weren't from posters here at the ROD.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Some of the questions that make it through moderation have me like........

mal_reaction.gif

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to admit... this made me laugh...
=========================================================================================================================
Hi Jim, Will I be allowed to bring in my "I hate you Stan!" related signs to the dome this year?
by ihtnep 9/2/2015 6:59:05 PM 1:59 PM
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

Please try it, and let me know how things turn out.
    by jthomas 9/2/2015 6:59:19 PM 1:59 PM

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
JT says it's too early to judge the players (quoting # of plays $ such)....but in several instances he infers that Cignetti hasn't done a good job as the OC...Wishy washy assed mfer!!!! Either it's too little time for both or say what you feel....Cig has the same difficulties as Schotty...O-Line shaky....and now, new QB to this system....

I will say, like JT...I woulda had our 1's playing into the 3rd quarter...the offensive ones...maybe subbing liberally, but Foles woulda been out there with G-Rob, Saff, Jones/Rhaney, Brown, Havenstein in every game except this one on Thursday.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
JT says it's too early to judge the players (quoting # of plays $ such)....but in several instances he infers that Cignetti hasn't done a good job as the OC...Wishy washy assed mfer!!!! Either it's too little time for both or say what you feel....Cig has the same difficulties as Schotty...O-Line shaky....and now, new QB to this system....

I will say, like JT...I woulda had our 1's playing into the 3rd quarter...the offensive ones...maybe subbing liberally, but Foles woulda been out there with G-Rob, Saff, Jones/Rhaney, Brown, Havenstein in every game except this one on Thursday.

Jimmy is the ultimate fence rider. Everything he does is by the book, and with no risk.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
It must be miserable for him to have a job that requires he write about a team and front office he hates so much.

He hides it fairly well though
:sneaky:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Jim had it his way he would convince every Rams fan to abort the team, even if they were to stay in St. Louis.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"It's all hopeless."
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

It's very obvious that most of these questions weren't from posters here at the ROD.

I'm guessing or at least hoping that JT was being sarcastic. Needs more blue ink.

I'll take one Tim Jennings please.

He said that his visit with the Bucs went well but that he is "going to sleep on it," whatever that means.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...he-bears-cut-tim-jennings-20150901-story.html

Does the Tim Jennings cut signal the front office is moving away from winning now? Or was he just not in the top four or five cornerbacks? -- @rfhuston

That is a good question but I think it is important to note that if the coaching staff liked Jennings and believed he was a good fit for what they wanted to do, the front office wouldn’t have terminated his contract.

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has shown a preference for longer cornerbacks in the past and that preference was highlighted when the team signed Alan Ball to a $3 million, one-year contract in free agency. Ball is 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, and he’s the tallest cornerback on the roster, and six inches taller than Jennings. Add in the facts that Jennings is 31 and was coming off an off year and arthroscopic knee surgery, and there were multiple factors in play.

From my vantage point, the biggest issue was fit. The coaching staff didn’t believe Jennings, who as recently as two seasons ago was a very solid Tampa Two cornerback, fit what they wanted to do. If Jennings is healed up like he said, he could have a productive season or two left in him in different defense. He reportedly visited the Buccaneers and former coach Lovie Smith on Tuesday morning.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
"drudgery"?

Wow, really? I thought training camp was a thrill.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time wishing he was more colorful:
I'm guessing or at least hoping that JT was being sarcastic. Needs more blue ink.
He was being sarcastic or tongue-n-cheek in at least a quarter of his replies. :LOL: What can you do when you're asked such stupid questions? :eek: :LOL: I don't know if I'd have been able to hold back what I really wanted to say. I thought he did a preety good job at getting his points across and I'm pretty sure some of those posters didn't even know it. :snicker:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I haven't made my final decision yet, but I still see them at 9-7.
If JT sticks to this^ it will be the 1st time he's picked them to have a Winning Season, sense, ... I can't remember when!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If JT sticks to this^ it will be the 1st time he's picked them to have a Winning Season, sense, ... I can't remember when!

True, sad part is though the Rams haven't done a good job proving him wrong.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
is it me, or do all JT's answers sound degrading to either the person asking, or to the team, sometimes even both LOL

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
is it me, or do all JT's answers sound degrading to either the person asking, or to the team, sometimes even both LOL

A lot of those questions deserved degrading responses but you can really tell he doesn't like Fisher/Snead can't you?

I'm not particularly fond of JT and his attitude towards the team but issues like the penalties and the late decision on switching guards give JT the ammo to keep sniping (with some justification) at Fisher.