Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 9/15/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from this Q&A. To read the whole thing click the link below.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_100
Rams chat with Jim Thomas : 9/15/15

how did the offensive line look. Anyone surprise you?

I haven't had a chance to look at either game film or TV copy yet. But I think overall they did OK. Maybe a little better than OK.
---------
is it me or is Fischer really short with you in the press conference when you ask him a question? Must be his dry sense of humor.

It's just you. SInce I usually ask about half of the questions, they would be pretty short press conferences otherwise.
--------
Hi: Jim great game sunday : I wish i couldve stayed......But im healthy now an Getting paid for name and Hiesman trophy ......one more thing ....grade me on my game yesterday....# go eagles - Sam Bradford

Best of luck to you Sam. I didn't watch much of the game. I heard you started slow but closed fast. Too bad your kicker missed what could've been game winning field goal.
---------
Jim, how much coffee do you drink on a given week? 3 to 4 cups a day? its got to be a challenge to be a beat writer for the rams right now

I start training camp at one cup a day. Usually by the start of the regular season I'm at two cups. Already I'm on the cusp of 3 cups. By the end of the Super Bowl, I need to go into caffeine detox.
---------
do you expect tre mason and tru to both play this week?

Early signs are encouraging on both, we'll know more as the practice week progresses.

-------
I can't believe what I saw on Sunday. Intensity, passion, concerted effort... Where did these guys come from?

Well, it was the third time they've beaten Seattle in four games at home under Fisher. So I don't know if that rates as a huge surprise. It was good, however, to see that kind of a performance in the opener for a team that has a history of starting slow under Fisher.
--------
Does the post publish the game stats on players individual participation? Did Givens get any time on the field?

I usually mention participation highlights every Monday on my Twitter account _ @jthom1. GIvens was In for 21 plays, or 35% of the offensive snaps. He actually was in for two more plays than Stedman Bailey, but was not targeted.
-------
Bradley Marquez sure showed a lot of poise signalling for the fair catch and making a sliding catch in his first game. He also made a great block to seal the sideline for Tavon Austin on his punt return TD.

He certainly did. And that's why he was active for the Seattle game instead of Brian Quick.
-------
Saw both games and just watching our receivers catch the ball and eagles drops , I was wondering if throws throws a more catch able ball than sam. What do you think.

Hard to say. If the trend continues over the next few weeks I'll ask some of the wideouts.
-------
Do you think Gurley/Mason will reduce Tavon role.

In the backfield? Maybe a little. But I think the Rams will still use Austin some in that role.
---------
How much of an effect do you think Cam Chancellor not playing had on the game?

I wonder if the Rams have as many 20-yards plus pass receptions with Chancellor. And I wonder if Chancellor gets beaten by Lance Kendricks for that 37-yard TD.
-------
When Marquez signaled a fair catch, Seattle should have been penalized for hitting him. Refs blew it.

Of course, they should've been penalized. How can the officiating crew even consider that Marquez was guilty of an illegal fair catch and not flag the Seahawks for hitting a player making a fair catch?
---------
my thought on Benny Cunningham is to keep him in games. The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Thoughts?

His yards per carry average (2.8) wasn't impressive, but he drags the pile, is pretty good with ball security, gets yards after contact, and we've all seen how effective he can be as a pass-catcher.
-------
any word on that bogus Quinn roughing call on Wilson? Also that pass interference non call?

That Quinn call was awful. Yes, it should've been P.I. on the Austin play, but it didn't matter since it was an uncatchable ball.
-------
any word on Brian Quick's status? healthy scratch on sunday right? seems like we might have a "doesn't play in the first four games" rule again

According to Fisher, he was a healthy scratch, and that he just was a victim of the numbers game in reaching the game-day roster limit of 46. Fisher kind of intimated that Quick might still be a little rusty, football-wise, coming back from the shoulder surgery.

Plus it's difficult in this offense to give 5 WRs real work in a game. As I mentioned early, Marquez's special teams value got him activated Sunday, and we all saw his value in that role against the Seahawks.
--------
Being well-closer to things, who would you evaluate N. Foles' leadership qualities and/or players response to him compared to past Ram QB s during this horrendous last decade +

Foles' leadership qualities appear to be on the high end of the spectrum. But I'm not going to make a blanket comparison (to others) based on one regular-season game.
--------
How bout them Rams! long ways away from last yr opener! Defense was there! Special Teams was there! Offense was there! 3 Phases of football! and with that being said, what area of improvements would you like to see or expect to see in next weeks game vs Redskins?

Fewer turnovers. No return TDs (by opponents' defense or special teams). More productive running game.
--------
I was very concerned during the preseason about the lack of effort by some of the WR's and TE's regarding run blocking. Seems like the Austin run TD and Austin Punt TD were both made by improved blocking efforts (especially no blocks in the back). What are the hopes that the commitment to run blocking by the ends stays high during the rest of the season?

Some players just don't get all that fired up for the preseason.
---------
Should Isaiah Pead ever be allowed to a touch a football for the Rams again?

Wow. We're all taking that fumble a little hard, arern't we?
---------
Any word on the status of Sims and Tru for week 2?

I believe Sims will miss at least a couple of weeks. Won't know about Johnson until the end of this week, but Rams were somewhat encouraged by what they saw Monday..
---------
There must be someone that can actually return kickoffs and know when to take a knee in the endzone. Pead is not that guy.

Pead bringing the ball out of the endzone is like watching my grandmother walk with her walker...

Rams could use GIvens in that role; they've done so before.
---------
Carroll mentioned that the Rams ran some cool plays. A Seahawk defender stated they ran what he called some trick plays. What was so different in the offensive scheme from previous years, besides the obvious.

I don't know that it was that much different.
---------
what is it with the Rams and late round or undrafted DBs. Roberson looked great.

Yea, he played well. I think in a normal year, Roberson goes in the fifth round, maybe the fourth round. But that 2014 draft was exceptionally deep, and Roberson did have some issues.
----------
I was a little disappointed to see Foles not lead the receivers. Three behind them a bit and in the long balls just seems to get a lot of air under the ball. In all fairness he's a great leader. Where would you say he ranks in the league based on talent alone?

I don't think we have enough of a sample size on Foles for a true rating. I guess I'd have to say middle of the pack at this point.
---------
What was up with Daren Bates' glasses? Where can I get a pair?

Saw a few comments on that. I'll try to ask him.
--------
Benny may not of had a lot of yards but to me he ran hard....very physical tough runner...

The perfect style of runner for a fast-flowing defense like Seattle _ a team that has 4 D-linemen that ran in the 4.6, 4.7 range coming out of college.
--------
Donald's getting the press, but Michael Brockers has made a significant step forward himself. Sad to say, but if we have a weak link, its Long, the highest pick in the bunch. I know, great locker room guy, competitor and all around great guy, but still the weakest link IMHO

Oh you mean the Chris Long who had 6 QB pressures Sunday? Oh, OK.
-----------
I live an hour from Chicago, but been a Rams fan since the mid 70’s and read and enjoy your chats every week. Hope they stay in STL!! I will be at the Steelers game with my son, will Gurley debut that game or will Fisher still hold him back?

It's possible Gurley could play vs. Pittsburgh. I think Oct. 4 at Arizona could be the game.
--------
Jeff Fisher seemed salty/agitated in yesterday's presser. Why was that the case?

Don't think so. If you're talking about the beginning of the thing, he was just joking around. I had brought in my spare digital recorder (which doesn't contain batteries). When I realized that, I went back to the media room to get the recorder I use _ so I missed part of his opening remarks. So that's what that was all about.
----------
Caught a glimpse of Spagnuolo and Linehan on opposing sidelines in the Sunday-night Giants/Cowboys game. If Fisher left and the Rams could only be coached by either of those two guys, which one would you pick?

I wouldn't mind Spags as d-coordinator or Linehan as o-coordinator, but I'd find a different head coach. I saw those shots as well in the Giants-Cowboys game. They'd show Linny and then Spags; Spags and then Linny. I was waiting to see Rich Brooks in a club suite, or Mike Martz sitting with Jerry Jones!
---------
Why is it that in the last 5 to 10 years the Rams seem to play their last 2 games on the road and worst of all in Seattle?

This year, I think the dome is booked on those days.
----------
I have to take my hat off to you buddy for picking the game correctly!! Now my worse fears may come true. The Rams start winning and then start selling out and Stan grows a fondness for the People of the Lou and decides to stay. Man I hope I'm half right. Go Rams!!! Is this Sunday a must win considering they just beat the Hawks?

As for my "prediction," even a blind squirrel. . . .I didn't think it was really much of a bold pick considering how well the Rams have played Seattle at home under FIsher, the situation in the Seattle secondary, and the Super Bowl hangover thing. Besides, to borrow from one of colleague's Joe Strauss' pet terms, I think it has become a "populist" move to pick against the Rams these days. This has become a jaded football town.
----------
Greg Robinson really seem to struggle the entire game, do you think he has regressed ?

He struggled early, then got better I thought.
----------
After this great win do you see an increase in ticket sales?

Perhaps some. But I think it's going to take more than just one victory.
---------
What a great way to start the season! Sack City has arrived!!

I don't think the Rams D-Line necessarily likes that nickname, but I hear you.
---------
Why is Pead Still on the team?

In part because Todd Gurley's hurt and Trey Watts is suspended. And he's one of the fastest players on the team.
----------
big win Sunday, so how much motivation was given to the team with the Russell Wilson 1-0 go hawks tweet Saturday?

Well, none of the Rams were shy in terms of talking about it after the game, so it must have had some impact.
----------
I went Sunday, and that was by far the most exciting game I witnessed in person. People were high-fiving strangers on the way out, and spontaneously screaming "Let's go Rams!" on the elevator. It's been a long time since we had this much excitement on opening day, not to mention against the NFC defending champs who are also our division rival. Bonus: I got tickets in the lower bowl for free. Doesn't get much better than that.

Glad you had a good time.
---------
I still don't understand why TA can't return kick offs. I can't think of a more open field for him. Is it because of the high impact potential? They say KO return is the most violent play in a game.

Could be. He's a small guy.
---------
Foles made a great throw and Bailey a good catch in OT. But Foles also had some stinker throws. Behind Cook coming across from L to R (his only miss) and another mid range over the head of an open receiver on the left. Your take on his consistency.

Nobody's perfect. He's still establishing that chemistry with the receivers.
--------
How fast is Tavon Austin? Is he the fastest player in the NFL? If not, any idea on who that would be?

He's a sub 4.3 guy in the 40, and that puts him on a very short list of the fastest players in the NFL. So maybe among the 15 to 20 fastest in the NFL. His speed on that punt return for TD really was noticeable to me watching the replay on TV.
----------
I know people are disenchanted with the Rams due to what is going on and don't want to give any more money to ESK, but they missed a heck of a game. Another way to look at is this may be their last chance to see NFL football in St. Louis. They should come on out and, if they want to exercise their displeasure, they can eat beforehand and not spend money on concessions.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for how they choose to spend _ or not spend _ their money. Personally, I love my work. And most days when I drive to Rams Park or the Edward Jones Dome it doesn't seem like I'm going to work. I love the game of football, and no matter what happens after the season, I'm not going to allow an opportunistic _ some would say greedy _ owner spoil my love for the game this season.
---------
Cunningham played well, especially running after catching short passes. Our RB situation could get complicated with his good performance and Mason, Watts and Gurley returning soon. Do you think Fisher will feel inclined to go slower folding Gurley in since Benny played so well?

Although, they're not going to rush Gurley _ and I think that's been made pretty clear by now _ I think as soon as they think Gurley's ready, he'll be out there, regardless of how Cunningham is playing.
--------
Who were the inactives on Sunday???? Where was Quick and how soon until he is fully back ?

The inactives were Quick, Donnal, Williams, Mason, Bates, Mannion, and Gurley. Fisher said Quick's health wasn't an issue in making him inactive.
---------
no more trolling of the Skins by fisher for ripping them off in the rg3 trade next week?

Funny. Let's see who he sends out for coin toss captains this Sunday.
---------
After Sunday's showing by he Rams defense, about how many sacks do you think they would have after 8 games. Last year it was only 1.

Actually they had one sack after 5 games last year. They're on a pace for 96 sacks so far. :)
----------
The weakest link on our front four is better than 75% or the league lol. I think that's ok.

There's some merit to what you're saying.
-------
Rams keep the same intensity in DC next week? Great to see them finally playing like we thought they could. Tavon looks like someone finally figured out what to do with him.

That's the key. One thing about the Fisher Rams _ they've lacked the week-in, week-out consistency to follow one victory with another. Perhaps this team now has enough seasoning to avoid some of the weekly ups and downs.
---------
RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. While we haven't seen TG in a game situation, just what does he bring to the table that impressed the Rams to take him with a #1?

The Rams obviously think he's a franchise-type RB, the kind of talent that doesn't come along that often. A combination of speed and power that can change games. We're about to find out by late this month or early next month.
--------
Do you believe Pete Carroll really intended for that to be a pooch kick?

I'm skeptical.
--------
There don't appear to be many defensive tackles better than Aaron Donald. Do you think that statement is reasonable?

Very reasonable.
---------
OL holding at the point of attack has been a pet peeve of mine for years and Seattle, NE, and the 49'ers have made it a science, yet other teams are flagged for doing same. Please help me understand why?

I think holding and pass interference are the two most unevenly-called penalties in the game _ from play-to-play, game-to-game, and crew-to-crew. I know it's a fast game with huge players, but you'd like to see more consistency.
---------
Can you give an injury report please?

Trumaine Johnson (concussion) was doing better Monday, Rams are encouraged. Eugene Sims and Chase Reynolds both have non-ACL knee injuries. I've been told that Reynolds has a sprained MCL which usually means 2 to 4 weeks. Don't expect to see either vs. Washington. Rams seemed encouraged by Tre Mason's pre-game workout, and it's possible he could be a go this week. We'll know more as the practice week develops. Gurley probably another game or two away.
--------
In fishes press conference he mentioned that he is changing the practice schedule. What was it and what did he change it to? What are the benefits of the change?

They are going to start practicing on Tuesdays _ for years the normal player's day off around the NFL. And take Thursday's off instead. Fisher hopes the Thursday day off will help the players freshen up late in the week for Sundays. I'm planning on writing a story about it today for Stltoday and tomorrow's newspaper
--------
in your opinion, is the Seahawks DL the best one the Rams offense will face this season?

I'll say one of the best.
-------
I also went to the game Sunday. My voice is starting to come back. It was one of the best games that I have witnessed in a while an yes we hi-fiving each other at the game. It made me realist how much sports can bring together people form all different walks of life. It was amazing. I think it was a good turn out at the dome considering everything that's going on with relocation and all.

I think there were a few more fans there than the Rams were expecting. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
----------
Jim where do the Rams cheerleaders rank in this league?

I have absolutely no idea. When I used my binoculars in the press box, it's strictly for football-related matters. You believe me, don't you?
--------
If Mason can't go Sunday and with Reynolds hurt, would you still use Pead as the back up to Cunningham

That's really the only alternative barring a roster move.
-------
I watched Sam Bradford play last night and I just can't get over that scared look in his eyes. Foles seems to have so much more confidence. What is going on with Steven Jackson? Would the rams retire his number?

Not aware of any plans by the Rams to retire Steven Jackson's number.
--------
There were a lot of reasons for the Rams to lose last Sunday, fumbles, bad snap, bad calls and non calls going against them, and playing against one of the best teams in the NFL. Was this a fluke?

I think being able to win with all those things going wrong shows it's not a fluke.
--------
wonderful game. I however really could not get a fair look at the play of the offensive line, particularly the rookies. my sense is that they did fine, but not spectacular. What is your view of the rookies? also, I noticed Reynolds in the game. is there a rotation? thanks.

Ryenolds was in there for I believe 7 plays because Jamon Brown had an equipment issue. (facemask)
-------
Could the Rams use Cunningham in the role of a FB and Gurley/Mason as a tailback in the same set? Can Cunningham block well enough?

Interesting thought. I think Cunningham's a pretty good blocker.
----------
Donald/Quinn sacks in 2015: 25 Over or under?

I think you're right on the number at 25.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald's getting the press, but Michael Brockers has made a significant step forward himself. Sad to say, but if we have a weak link, its Long, the highest pick in the bunch. I know, great locker room guy, competitor and all around great guy, but still the weakest link IMHO

Oh you mean the Chris Long who had 6 QB pressures Sunday? Oh, OK.

:LOL:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
When Marquez signaled a fair catch, Seattle should have been penalized for hitting him. Refs blew it.

Of course, they should've been penalized. How can the officiating crew even consider that Marquez was guilty of an illegal fair catch and not flag the Seahawks for hitting a player making a fair catch?

any word on that bogus Quinn roughing call on Wilson? Also that pass interference non call?

That Quinn call was awful. Yes, it should've been P.I. on the Austin play, but it didn't matter since it was an uncatchable ball.

As usual we had to beat both the refs and the other team!

It was very impressive though how poised our team was, especially that young Oline in their first game vs the squalks. The Rams kept their penalties to a minimum.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They say KO return is the most violent play in a game.
It is...So is kickoff coverage...

Jim where do the Rams cheerleaders rank in this league?

I have absolutely no idea. When I used my binoculars in the press box, it's strictly for football-related matters. You believe me, don't you?
JT showing some humor too...Boy wins do change things...Keep winning Rams, you won't go anywhere after this seasons over....Stan K couldn't even be that cold...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Chris Long with 6 QB pressures. I love that guy and I think its funny how many people underestimate him. He's coming from the left side - the QB's looking at him the whole time and can see him coming. That's why he doesn't get home as much as some other guys but there are very few people in the league who get as much pressure consistently as him.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris Long with 6 QB pressures. I love that guy and I think its funny how many people underestimate him. He's coming from the left side - the QB's looking at him the whole time and can see him coming. That's why he doesn't get home as much as some other guys but there are very few people in the league who get as much pressure consistently as him.
You call him overrated and then praise him? Lol

Alan

Legend
He's saying that too many (as in many other people) underestimate him @RAMpage28
I'm confused now too (by you and Rally) because I don't see the word overrated anywhere in his post.
Now I do. I think he's playing with our heads with edits! :mad: :LOL:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
@Alan

No, I get that. what I'm saying is that as I read his original post it says "I love that guy and I think its funny how many people overrate him."

So that makes it sound like a contradiction.

When I quote his post though it says what it says when Ram Rally's quoted the post. " I think its funny how many people underestimate him"

So there has to be some sort of strange glitch here because I'm seeing two different things from what should be the same post.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
[av]http://ringtones.mob.org/ringtone/O9gOJ5QBzLJvrfhrkwulTQ/1442405700/43377_wapres_ru/mark_snow-x_files_theme.mp3[/av]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For everybody...our DEFENSE was BALLIN! In case your eyes weren't working well...Yeah a glitch here an there, but overall, balling...You can tell the minor things (runs & loose coverage) can be easily fixed...I was proud of them...The offense, had a few more glitches, but took the game over with key drives...Not perfect, but CLEARLY going in the right direction....The running game will help immensely...The line looked good..Check out the 1st quarter of the 1st preseason game, then the last one..Then look at the Hawks game...Improvement....everywhere.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 liking the whole package:
For everybody...our DEFENSE was BALLIN! In case your eyes weren't working well...Yeah a glitch here an there, but overall, balling...You can tell the minor things (runs & loose coverage) can be easily fixed...I was proud of them...The offense, had a few more glitches, but took the game over with key drives...Not perfect, but CLEARLY going in the right direction....The running game will help immensely...The line looked good..Check out the 1st quarter of the 1st preseason game, then the last one..Then look at the Hawks game...Improvement....everywhere.
Against one of the best Ds in the NFL and a damn good offense too.