Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 8/20/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_97?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 8/20/15

Is there hope the offensive line will be ready for the Seahawks in game 1 without killing Foles or Mason?

Sure, although it will help to get Saffold back in there. I think the Rams also need to emphasize getting the ball out quickly.
-------
I wasn't old enough to remember what the last season of the Big Red was like as far as crowd attendance and participation went. What can we expect this year?

Well, I'm as curious as the next guy to see. If the team starts quickly and is winning games, I think attendance will be fine. If it's a product similar to what we've seen recently, I think attendance will be down. Holding a two-day pep rally in the Los Angeles area doesn't help things. Either this organization is incredibly tone deaf when it comes to its fans, or it doesn't care.
------
Have you heard how long the starters (particularly Foles) will play on Sunday?

Not yet. And we don't get Fisher until after practice tonight. (Or at about 7:30 p.m.). But I think it will be the usual for a second preseason game. Into the second quarter.
--------
I am worried about the Defense believe it or not ... every year we start playing JL back deep, Tree running around, alll kinds of nonsense taking too many chances which give up big plays... then we switch to basic football , force the other team to beat us physically, and our talent shows last 10 games ...

They have talked a lot about getting off to a quicker start this year _ not just on defense, but the team as a whole. We'll see.
-------
any news on Saffold. Last injury with no info for lengthy amount time was not good news on Gaines. I hope the Rams are not holding back because the news is bad.

He didn't practice in Oxnard. Unless he's out there today, he probably doesn't play Sunday. That's all I can say at this point.
---------
How many times will Foles get sacked this year? I have a feeling it might be a lot.

Well, I can't give you a number. But the Rams have to avoid predictably passing situations as much as possible. They are stressing getting the ball out quickly. They need to run the ball effectively. All of that helps. Foles isn't a statue back there, but he's not what you'd call a scrambler either.
-------
How is the battle a a Center shaping up? And how many OL do you think the rams keep on the 53?

I would expect Barrett Jones to start this Sunday in Nashville. Usually the Rams keep 8 or 9 O-linemen.
-------
Do you think the Rams will bring inany good experienced vet to help on the OLine?

That's not the plan at this point.
-------
Overall, I saw little to be excited about in Oakland. How did you feel about the Rams' performance?

As I wrote, it look very sloppy. Too many penalties. Some missed tackles. Not much on offense. THey have a lot to work on.
-------
Can we convince Fisher to leave the competition committee? Seems refs call more against the Rams just to ensure Fisher isn't given "special" treatment.

It certainly doesn't seem like he's getting any favors from his work on the competition committee.
--------
Besides coach/cheerleader, what role is Jeff Garcia taking on with the team now that training camp is in full swing?

He's the assistant wide receivers coach.
-------
See any repercussions with moving the extra point back to the 15 yard line yet? I didn't watch any of the first preseason games. Is the ball kicked from the 15 or from the 22?

It's kicked from the 23, making it the equivalent of a 33-yard field goal. It's interesting that some teams _ Raiders included _ are working on their 2-point conversion plays instead of kicking extra points.
---------
Is Janoris Jenkins the next one in line to get a new contract?

Could be. But they have a lot of guys they're talking to.
--------
Sorry to hear about Gaines injury. Assuming there isn't a medical restriction, are injured players free to go to meetings, be on the sideline during games etc.. or is that up to the coach to have a policy? Seems like some injured players don't stick around, others stay close with the team.

No policy that forbids them from being around. I think Gaines will be around.
--------
how is Mark Barron looking in practice? I was hoping for more impact from him.

You know, he missed a fair amount of the early work as he was coming back from a knee issue. But he has been practicing lately, and Gregg Williams will have packages in for him.
--------
How is Gurley looking? Is it realistic to expect him to play this season?

Of course, he'll play this season. (Barring some kind of setback) But he's still been limited to individual drills (other than his brawl activities).
-------
Do you think Jeff Fisher is really that good of a head coach? He's had 3+ years to at least field a .500 team and has not done it. His teams are consistently one of the most-penalized in the NFL. He is not that far above .500 for his career. I know the Rams could not have been much worse when he took over but wasn't he closer to success in 2012 than he is now?

I think this is a key year for him.
--------
please give feed back on 1) Ram's WR/TE route running and ability to gain separation 2) Ability of this young line to pass block

Well those are two very broad questions. But I will say that Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, and Chris Givens have worked hard to improve their route-running. They were all raw when they entered the league. But nobody has the kind of separation skills/change of direction skills as an Isaac Bruce.
Robinson and Havenstein need work on their pass blocking.
-------
do you have confidence in the Rams WR ?

I think they have the potential to be pretty good.
-------
Does punching Dez in the face hurt or help Imoan Claiborne's chance to make the team? With Gaines out are we looking at Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Roberson, McGee, .....

I don't think the punch will have any impact on that.
--------
Any clue why the Rams did not resign Barksdale & is he starting for his current team?

Barksdale was looking for a huge payday, the Rams weren't willing to do that. He ended up going elsewhere for far less.
--------
The continued penalties are mind boggling. This isn't a young team, anymore. Is it a function of Fisher (he of the patience with off-field problems/rest players' bodies philosophy known as a players' coach)? Is he doing anything differently beyond asking nicely? I don't think a running team can give up lots of penalty yardage.

I hear you.
--------
Lightning Round: who has more catches and/or yards this year, Quick or Britt?

Quick
--------
Who has the strongest arm among the 4 QB's in camp?

I'd say either Foles or Mannion.
-------
Lots of fans are already gloating over a "sweep" of the 49ers this year. But knowing the Rams' penchant for losing games they should win, I think we split with them.What is your guess?

They should sweep. But I get your point.
-------
Does Mannion have a chance to become the #2 QB this year?

Probably not.
-------
Who's looked better so far, Keenum or Davis?

Well, Keenum definitely has the edge for the No. 2 spot so far. And he got three series in vs. Oakland as opposed to one by Davis. So by that we know where the coaches seem to be leaning, but so far I don't see much difference in the two.
--------
Any idea when Gurley starts playing

I think he sits out a couple, three regular season games.
--------
Any sense of how much improvement we will see from the Raiders this season?

Well, Del Rio isn't a bad coach. And I like the addition Cooper and Crabree at wide receiver.
--------
any chance T. Austin learns to run a pass route like a real NFL wide receiver anytime soon?

He's getting there.
--------
Do you have any interesting nuggets from your recent conversation with John Shaw

John declined an interview request.
-------
Is STL really a baseball town, or does it seem that way because the baseball team is fantastic and the football team has been largely terrible? Forever...

There is great tradition and great success for the baseball team. But let me put it this way: No one called this a baseball town from 1999-2004
---------
Confused about the Tavon Austin pass route running concerns. This HAD to be obvious watching his WVA tape before drafting him number 8 overall. If they are taking him that high, shouldn't the Rams have hired coaches number 28 & 29 or whatever it takes to groom him hard and get him ready for the NFL? (same with Quick?) Seems like Fisher and the WR coaches are too laid back, turning these WRs into a 3 year project.

No matter how good the coaching, sometimes players are so raw coming in from college that you don't just look at a greaseboard or tape for a couple hours and _ presto! _ you're a skilled polish NFL wide receiver.
-------
Please, please tell me there's at least a small chance we could see a trick play this year that includes Havenstein on an end-around (or in some way lumbering downfield)?!

With Fisher, there's always that chance.
--------
How do you see the loss of Gaines affecting the D this season?

Well, you can never have enough good cornerbacks in this league. That's for openers. But Trumaine Johnson should be able to get it done at corner. But that puts the onus of Lamarcus Joyner to step up at the nickel back position. And if there are injuries to the top three (Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner) then you're talking Marcus Roberson, who has potential but is inexperienced.
--------
Whenever Stedman B has a pass thrown his way, it's usually caught-why hasn't he seen more action than he does (4 game susp. aside). It's not like the Rams WRs are great and he's blocked by them. Am i missing something?

I've had some similar thoughts.
---------
Everyone has been talking about Gurley, for good measure. However, I am most interested to see how Tre Mason starts his second season. How has he looked in camp thus far?

Well, he was impressive in Oxnard. But remember, he missed about a week of camp with a hamstring injury.
-------
When Fisher arrived in STL he said he would fix the penalty and turnover problems. I haven't seen progress but do stats show an improvement?

Not really.
--------
Is next year the last year of the contracts for both Fisher and Snead? Are they a package? Both get extended or both get dumped?

They're not a package. There doesn't seem to be any vibe at Rams Park that they are in trouble.
----------
What happens if Rams end up 5-11 or 6-10? Are Fisher, Snead, and Demof looking for work?

Interesting question. Only Stan knows.
--------
I have not heard much regarding Mark Barron. I was hoping a former 8th overall pick would be more of an impact player. Your thoughts?

He was hurt early in camp. He's not a starter, but Gregg Williams has packages for him.
--------
Havenstein and Brown looked good I thought... what have you seen? Backup for Saffold looked terrible (Washington?) .. any chance a rookie would do better, he just gets pushed back constantly

Yeah, those were a couple of bad plays for Washington.
-------
What undrafted players have looked good so far in camp? Give us a couple of 'surprise' veterans who may get cut.

I think it's going to be tougher for undrafted rookies to make the team this year, in part because there are so many returning players from last year's squad. But CB Imoan Claiborne has a chance, particularly now that Gaines is out for the season. Don't really see any "surprise" veterans at this point. Pead for example should be helped by the fact that Trey Watts will be suspended for first four games and Gurley probably won't be ready. I think GIvens makes it. Austin Davis may not make it if the team goes with Keenum.
-------
I noticed during the brawl, G-Rob was the one laying on the ground when things got hectic. Washington came to his aide and took on the entire Cowboys team. G-Rob just remained back and didn't do anything. Where's the fire in that man?

Actually, Robinson helped spark the whole thing by going after Randy Gregory.
-------
When did you realize that the 1999 Rams were good? After the team added Martz, Holt, Faulk, Green and Timmerman? After the first preseason game? October? At this stage of the season, how did they look? How does this 2015 team look, now?

They looked better in the preseason games w/Green at quarterback, that's for sure. Then came the Green injury in preseason game No. 3. I think once the regular season started with Warner at QB it first hit me in Game 3 when they won in Cincy. I came back thinking "these guys can be pretty good."
-------
I'd guess you don't have exact stats, but I'd love to know the exact percentage of starts that the backup QB has made for the Rams over the last four years. Would have to be one of the highest in the league.

It's 25 regular season games in a row the Rams have used a backup QB. Bradford did play in all 16 games in 2012, Fisher's first season here. But he did miss 6 in 2011 when he had the high-ankle sprain. So over the four-year period, the Rams used a backup QB in 31 of 64 games.
-------
Shouldn't we wait to crown this defensive front 7? I keep hearing and reading words like "elite" and "best in football". To me an elite front 7 doesn't give up 110 rushing yards per game (2014). In my opinion to be called elite they have to keep them under 90. Thoughts?

Agreed. The Rams were very good however over the last eight games of the season on defense _ one of the league's top 10 defenses by far.
-------
Any prediction for the opener vs Seattle?

No, you'll have to wait until our football preview sections on Sept. 13, when I will predict the results of all 16 Rams games. By the way, I think I went 1-15 last year.
--------
I like the way Imoan Claiborne throws those things! Maybe he can play enforcer for the Blues if he doesn't make the roster. Any word on his ice skating skills?

Dez Bryant violated Rule No. 1 of football brawls: Keep your helmet on. I learned this the hard way during the Southwest-Roosevelt Public High School League football brawl of 1971. Roosevelt fan was leaning right down from the stands punching me in the head repeatedly.
--------
What was your take on Mannion against Oakland? What kind of playing time do you see him getting against Tennessee?

He looked OK. I doubt he gets to throw that many passes against Tennessee unless he's in another two-minute situation.
-------
Better season, Rams/Foles or Eagles/Bradford?

If Bradford is healthy for at least 14 games, I'd say Bradford-Eagles. But that's a big "if" isn't it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We all know Foles has to get rid of the ball quickly - JT, Code Monkey, 12inthebox, Ramfanz, CoachO and mostly all who have reported from camp have expressed how Foles holds on to the ball too long. I mean I saw it during the sack in the Oakland game

So if we don't start seeing results with Foles getting rid of the ball out quickly on Sunday, I'm gonna start getting a bit concerned

We need to get Kurt to stop helping the 49ers and teach him how it's done

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
that was kinda fun....JT is straight forward....Top 5 defenses do NOT give up 100 ypg...on the damn ground....no way...

V3

Hall of Fame
We all know Foles has to get rid of the ball quickly - JT, Code Monkey, 12inthebox, Ramfanz, CoachO and mostly all who have reported from camp have expressed how Foles holds on to the ball too long. I mean I saw it during the sack in the Oakland game

So if we don't start seeing results with Foles getting rid of the ball out quickly on Sunday, I'm gonna start getting a bit concerned

We need to get Kurt to stop helping the 49ers and teach him how it's done
Did you happen to watch the WRs on that play? I think Holt or Faulk mentioned that they weren't getting open for him. Not absolving Foles of holding on to the ball too long but the WRs need to improve, too.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
that was kinda fun....JT is straight forward....Top 5 defenses do NOT give up 100 ypg...on the damn ground....no way...

As long as they don't score from it we can give up 1,000 yards per game on the ground as far as I'm concerned.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As long as they don't score from it we can give up 1,000 yards per game on the ground as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck stopping scoring, giving up yards on the ground, on the field all game long...won't help the offense much either...yards matter...if you are constantly giving up running yards, teams will figure out ways to beat you...bend but don't break is a loser mentality..

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
Is it just me or does it seem like gloom and doom when Thomas reports on the Rams? If the Rams move to LA I'm hoping for a clean house approach regarding writers, announcers and sports talk radio. There might be a couple I keep but see you later to the rest.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Good luck stopping scoring, giving up yards on the ground, on the field all game long...won't help the offense much either...yards matter...if you are constantly giving up running yards, teams will figure out ways to beat you...bend but don't break is a loser mentality..

Yards can simply be a product of controlling field position all game. Seattle had a mountain of yards and lost the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yards can simply be a product of controlling field position all game.
Maybe....it could also be totally controlling the line of scrimmage...You're talking about the game we squirted by when Russell threw for 3oo & ran for 100, correct? We barely won that game. You don't wanna get in the habit of trying to win like that...

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

Well we were quite good at stopping the scoring last season, top 5 scoring D, whilst still giving up yards on the ground.

The best way for a D to help an O is by forcing turnovers.

Give me a D which is top 5 in scoring and top 5 in forcing turnovers and I couldn't care less where they rank in yards allowed.

Re-visiting the original point there were only 5 teams in the league last year who didn't give up 100ypg rushing, so if you can't be a top 5 D and give up 100ypg then by logic your only criteria for being a top 5 D is rushing yards allowed.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Maybe....it could also be totally controlling the line of scrimmage...You're talking about the game we squirted by when Russell threw for 3oo & ran for 100, correct? We barely won that game. You don't wanna get in the habit of trying to win like that...

The writing was on the wall the first year of Fisher's tenure. He picked up a brand new punter and kicker. Some monster legs. He wants to play field position and give up yards in an attempt to make the other team make a mistake. It's his style.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some random thoughts after reading that:

1. I knew the 1999 Rams were special after the 2nd preseason game. The difference was profound to anyone who watched the bumbling idiocy of the prior seasons; they were not predictable, executed well, and converted third downs it was night and day. Told my wife at the time that I'd be watching every game at the sports bar that year and I did so. Watched every single game and that season is the kind of reward we get for slogging through the bad ones.

2. Pead makes this roster. I would never have thought it before the camp reports to include what he did vs Dallas. The dude knows he has to produce and is playing desperate ball, and with his talent that is a potent combination. He also plays teams, so he makes the cut unless they trade him.

3. Mannion wins the backup job. I'm sure most will disagree with me here but dropoff from the "backups" to him is probably not gonna be significant. Roster spots with this team are a premium. Is this team better with 3 QBs or with Mannion as backup and an additional young OL? I take the latter and it's not close because Mannion will get better if he ends up needing to play significant time and he has the arm to air it deep and keep the deep threat there for defenses.

4. Givens makes this roster. Like with Pead I had him marked as a cut or trade bait but he has clearly worked his butt off to make this team. Trade is possible if they like another WR at the bottom who can do better on special teams which will factor in, but barring trade I don't see them cutting him.

5. Foles and Cigs will lead this offense to a 15th overall or better ranking. Foles has the right leadership skills this group of young players needs and also the right playing skills that will breathe life into the offense. Cigs already has this offense looking much different, it is early and impossible to say for sure if he's up to snuff but I think him and Foles together will at the least boost this offense to the point where this team is a legit contender.

Alan

Legend
ChrisW finding evidence:
The writing was on the wall the first year of Fisher's tenure. He picked up a brand new punter and kicker. Some monster legs. He wants to play field position and give up yards in an attempt to make the other team make a mistake. It's his style.
Could that be why he's an 8-8 type HC?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Dez Bryant violated Rule No. 1 of football brawls: Keep your helmet on. I learned this the hard way during the Southwest-Roosevelt Public High School League football brawl of 1971. Roosevelt fan was leaning right down from the stands punching me in the head repeatedly.

I think we all know what's wrong with JT now.....

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Could that be why he's an 8-8 type HC?

Possibly. I think he has to have everything go his way to have a winning season. But there's a ton of variables ranging from injuries to referee missed calls that throw a wrench into his plans.

He's probably too set in his ways by this point to change anything. So we're all along for the ride, For better or worse. I'm just hoping that Greg Williams provides the spark we need on defense for a full year. Can't stand the slow starts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thomas was more upbeat in that piece.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Is it just me or does it seem like gloom and doom when Thomas reports on the Rams? If the Rams move to LA I'm hoping for a clean house approach regarding writers, announcers and sports talk radio. There might be a couple I keep but see you later to the rest.
I would characterize it as being more "sober or somber" like than gloom & doom....but LA does have better writers. ;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's not just you.