Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 7/28/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions only. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_94?Page=0

How rare is it to have the entire right side of your OL be rookies? Are there any recent teams that have had success with two rookies on the OL?

It's pretty rare. Well, the Cowboys have had some young guys on their line, but mixed in with some highly regarded veterans. The Rams aren't quite in that position.
---------
With the Rams line being questionable at this point.. i envision they will pick on the right side and use that to there advantage…. Any chance we will go after any veterans or potential trades to help us threw the season??? any chance at using talon, pead and players to find OL help or a true #1 WR???

I'm sure the Rams will continue to look around _ they always do. But for now, they're going with the young guys.
---------
What player do you see making the "leap" into pro-bowl status this year?

Janoris Jenkins has that potential. He still needs to cut back on mistakes. Tavon Austin is always capable of making it as a returner.
---------
Do you think Foles remains standing the season?

Now that's THE question, isn't it? Although he hasn't had an injury history approaching Bradford's, he hasn't exactly been Cal Ripken in terms of durability.
---------
Todd Gurley passes conditioning test impressively? Good news! Can you expand on what was so impressive?

Can't really expand. Media not allowed to watch these conditioning tests. It's just what I was told. And also told the heat and humidity didn't phase him at all. The very fact that he's starting out camp on the active roster is a positive development, meaning it's more likely he'll be ready to go by opening day.
---------
From comments during interviews, I get the. Feeling it was not Fish that made the QB swap, agree?

I don't know definitively, but I've wondered about that as well.
---------
What position on the line is Battle best suited for? Was his drafting a sign that they're not as high as they used to be on their other O-line picks this year?

I think he'll get a look at left tackle, but I'm not certain at this point. I'm sure I'll do another story on the guy early on in camp. I think drafting him was just a sign that the Rams were a little light at tackle on the depth chart and a chance to get a potential 1st or 2nd rounder with a 5th-round pick. Don't think it's a reflection of their earlier O-line draft picks.
---------
So how many wins makes a great, medium or poor season? And what will it take for the Rams to be great this year?

Making the playoffs makes it a good season. Winning the division makes it a great season. Finishing 8-8 makes it a medium season. To me, anything less than that makes it a poor season.
--------
Has the parade meter been set for the year?

Yeah, we're opening at 9-7. I reserve the right to change the numbers up till the start of the regular season.
--------
Rams defense top 5?

Not willing to go that far just yet. Let's see if they make the top 10.
---------
Have you been able to see the influence that Chris Weinke has had on the qb's. I know he used to train QB's around the league in the offseason.

Not really. But we're talking about only 6 practices the media watched during the June OTAs. I haven't had much to judge.
---------
Does Battle only attend meetings and stay on the sidelines during practice? what else? and will you bring more about his contract later?

No. He practices. He's on the team. I'll get the contract details at some point. I'm sure it's a regular fifth-round deal.
--------
What's your take on Bernie leaving the PD? A move up, down, sideways?

Well, it's a blow to the paper. And it's tough to see a longtime friend leave the paper. Bernie's like a younger brother to me. I've known him for most of my adult life. And we've been through a lot of stories together. But it's not like he's leaving town and I'll never see or talk to him again. I have immense respect for him as writer and journalist.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deadline columnist in the country. I've felt this way for years. I don't rate this as a move up, down, or sideways. I just say good luck to Bernie. It's quite a coup for ESPN 101 to land a franchise player like him. But I've heard we've got some interesting candidates as potential replacements. The Post-Dispatch will go on.

I'll just add that I didn't see this coming. I had heard that 920AM was nibbling in Bernie's direction but didn't know that anything serious was going on with 101. I've been on my down time and hadn't talked to Bernie in several weeks. I returned from a Kansas City show by my son's rock band, The Few, at about 4:15 a.m. Saturday morning, picked up the paper off my front lawn, and saw the story that Bernie was leaving. Obviously, I'm very happy for Bernie and wish him nothing but the best, but am personally disappointed that he's leaving the Post-Dispatch.
--------
Personally I think Ej Gaines should be our #1 CB your thought?

Possible. Really looking forward to seeing if Gaines can build on his impressive rookie success.
---------
Do the Rams need to go better than 3-2 in their first five games before the bye to have a shot at the playoffs ?

Well, they have to be at least 3-2 in my opinion. A fast start is imperative. 1-3 out of the gate isn't going to cut it.
---------
Jim, down deep do you really think the Pats have fairly earned their rings?

That's an interesting question. In my mind, the least talented of their Super Bowl championship teams _ maybe of all their Super Bowl participating teams _ probably was the one that beat the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. So maybe that one, based on the allegations of illegally taping the Rams' Saturday walk-through, is the one that's most tarnished. The foul play certainly is part of their legacy. But they've also been very, very good under Belichick and Brady.
---------
Any clue on the type of leg injury Cody Wichmann has? Sprain/Strain or something more?

I believe it's a calf injury. Not considered serious. He's just not quite ready to practice.
---------
Who has more upside to play center: Rhaney, Barnes or Jones?

It could be Rhaney, who's athletic and quick off the ball, but needs to add strength. But don't think he's quite ready to take over at this point.
--------
Why Nick Fairly 7 million, yet not a proven vet for the the offensive line. I think they will regret that move

Actually, Fairley's more like $5 million. But I do agree that they may regret not going out on a high-priced free agent this past offseason. (While recognizing that they pretty much got burned on the big contracts with Jake Long and Scott Wells.)
--------
What's the chance Malcolm Brown beats out Watts or Reynolds for a RB spot? Would he have to pass I. Pead too? I know it would be as a special teamer, but he appears to have significantly more talent in actually running the ball, would that be a correct assumption?

I think he'd probably have a better chance of beating out Watts or Pead as opposed to Reynolds. Reynolds has developed into one of the top special teams players on the team. Don't underrate Watts, however. Although he lacks ideal speed, the coaches really like his instincts as a runner.
--------
I'm curious as to whether they will hold Gurley back for a while or let go as hard as he feels he can.

Well, the mere fact that he opens camp on the active roster increases the chances _ barring any setbacks, of course _ that he opens the season on the active roster. I'd have a hard time, however, seeing him getting 20-25 carries out of the box. I think that's something he'll have to build up to.
--------
Who do you think is the most important top 3 guys to get signed and keep long term?

I'm assuming you mean of the current group of prospective free agents. Then I think you'd have to say Foles (realizing there's not much of a sample size), McLeod (based on his improvement last year), and Zuerlein (you don't realize how valuable a good PK is until you don't have one.)
---------
I am big on Rob Havenstein, who blocked for Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin and handled Randy Gregory of Nebraska with ease. Any thoughts on what you have seen of him?

Not yet. Keep in mind, I've seen only 6 June practices of the post-draft Rams and none with the players in pads.
---------
My question is what is the most important FA we will need to sign after this season.. i think we will have upwards of 15 rams available for FA next season… seems as if this is the burden of having all of those draft picks..

It's exactly that _ the burden of having all those picks. Although I think we can expect a couple members of the group will be signed before the start of the regular season, the vast majority will play out the season. To a large degree, it depends on how a lot of those guys perform this season.

But I would think Foles, Jenkins, McLeod, Zuerlein would be at or near the top of the list. I'd think in an ideal world you'd want to bring at least one of your backup ends back (Hayes and Sims). If Quick picks up where he left off before the 2014 injury, you'd certainly want him back. So there's a lot to mull through.
----------
How many td passes for nick foles?

--------
I'm confused with Fishers approach to the offensive line. Past years he was reluctant to play rookies even if they were drafted high. Now, it appears he is ready to start 2 rookies next to each other with a first-year center to boot. Why the change in philosophy? Surely a #2 overall draft pick could have played guard from day one last year, but didn't (even though the replacement wasn't very good). So why rush these guys in there?

Yeah, it is kind of odd. Certainly seems like an about-face. About the only thing I can say is that they've been burned by big-money free agent signings on the O-line for the most part. Also, I think they feel Havenstein and Brown will be NFL ready quicker than say Robinson
--------
Will the rams make any moves before the season starts…. safe to say we do not have a true #1 WR with AJ Green most likely resigning or getting Franchised

Obviously, injury or poor performance can lead to some roster shuffling. And yes, I don't think you can say the Rams have a true No. 1 WR, but I think they feel good about who they have.
---------
Other than O line, what do you see as the Rams most pressing needs?

Is Foles the answer at QB? Do the Rams have any real playmakers/difference makers on offense? Can the secondary in general and the cornerbacks in particular show enough improvement and cut down on the number of big plays allowed?
---------
I'm fairly optimistic about the Rams WR corps this year. I think Foles can provide better passes to our group. Even though the run will be clearly featured, I feel that Britt can get 1000 yards and maybe close to 10 TDs. Remember - Fisher's best Titans teams got solid production out of Derrick Mason, even famous FA bust Drew Bennett had afew solid seasons with the Titans. Bailey/Austin will also do well coming out of the slot. Cook and Kendricks can also offer opportunities in the passing game.

I liked what was happening early last season with the big receivers (Quick/Cook). It would be nice to see Bailey involved in the offense from the start. Perhaps things will go smoother for Austin in his third NFL season. That's kind of the optimistic view. We'll see.
---------
I now work out by Rams Park and I get off early Friday. Is it worth going to the first day of practice?
What actually goes on?

Come on by. There's blocking and kicking, throwing and catching. The 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills can be entertaining. The one-on-one pass blocking drills between the o-line and d-line are fun to watch. You can sip a cold beer on the lawn while watching, and get as close to the players as you can in any professional sports setting.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Someone asked if Jamon Brown is going to end up like Rok Watkins. What's the basis for such a goofy question? And what insight could JT offer based on a limited viewing at OTAs? I worry for some of our fellow fans.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Someone asked if Jamon Brown is going to end up like Rok Watkins. What's the basis for such a goofy question? And what insight could JT offer based on a limited viewing at OTAs? I worry for some of our fellow fans.

You would think a fan that puts in the time to post in one of JT's chats would know how much hard working Jamon is over Rok.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Any clue on the type of leg injury Cody Wichmann has? Sprain/Strain or something more?

I believe it's a calf injury. Not considered serious. He's just not quite ready to practice.
This me guys....:bow:

What's the chance Malcolm Brown beats out Watts or Reynolds for a RB spot? Would he have to pass I. Pead too? I know it would be as a special teamer, but he appears to have significantly more talent in actually running the ball, would that be a correct assumption?

I think he'd probably have a better chance of beating out Watts or Pead as opposed to Reynolds. Reynolds has developed into one of the top special teams players on the team. Don't underrate Watts, however. Although he lacks ideal speed, the coaches really like his instincts as a runner.
This me too...@I'm famous...autograph request please send through PM in here.....@:ROFLMAO::OT::nice::owned::mustache::snicker:

Still don't get all the Reynolds love? Guess it's the Ray Ray effect...

Big Willie

Starter
You would think a fan that puts in the time to post in one of JT's chats would know how much hard working Jamon is over Rok.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Rok's problem was that he was working the dinner table too hard....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From comments during interviews, I get the. Feeling it was not Fish that made the QB swap, agree?

I don't know definitively, but I've wondered about that as well.

does anyone know what this guy is talking about? from everything i've seen fisher has been ecstatic to have a qb he can depend on health wise.

jjab360

Legend
does anyone know what this guy is talking about? from everything i've seen fisher has been ecstatic to have a qb he can depend on health wise.

I don't know exactly how much Fish had to do with making the trade actually happen, but you can guaran-damn-tee he signs off of on any roster moves that Snead makes, especially one of that magnitude. A little surprised JT didn't clarify that, but then again given the recent animosity (if you can call it that?), I'm really not.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Rok's problem was that he was working the dinner table too hard....

Right, but the problem with weight loss is always Calories in vs. Calories out. He wasn't working it off = laziness.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Are there any recent teams that have had success with two rookies on the OL?

Colts and Jags both fielded top 20 OLs last year with 2 rookie OL, one with a 6th round pick, one with a UDFA. Oh and one of the Jags starters had a LT with 5 starts. Maybe not ultra successful, but not the epic mess it's made out to be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Do the Rams need to go better than 3-2 in their first five games before the bye to have a shot at the playoffs ?

Well, they have to be at least 3-2 in my opinion. A fast start is imperative. 1-3 out of the gate isn't going to cut it.
+1

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Colts and Jags both fielded top 20 OLs last year with 2 rookie OL, one with a 6th round pick, one with a UDFA. Oh and one of the Jags starters had a LT with 5 starts. Maybe not ultra successful, but not the epic mess it's made out to be.

Just re-read that, what terrible grammar :oops: "and one of the Jags starters had a LT with 5 starts" should read "The Jags' starter at LT had 5 starts" :confused:

Memphis Ram

Legend

How rare is it to have the entire right side of your OL be rookies? Are there any recent teams that have had success with two rookies on the OL?

It's pretty rare. Well, the Cowboys have had some young guys on their line, but mixed in with some highly regarded veterans. The Rams aren't quite in that position.
---------

Bears started rookies Kyle Long and 5th Rounder Jordan Mills in 2013. And if I'm not mistaken, Long had only played OLine for a couple of seasons, with one being at a junior college.

Bears scored over 400 points that season.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

Bears started rookies Kyle Long and 5th Rounder Jordan Mills in 2013. And if I'm not mistaken, Long had only played OLine for a couple of seasons, with one being at a junior college.

Bears scored over 400 points that season.

Yeah had a total of 10 starts at LT in his life before the NFL.