Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/9/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_67?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

These are selected questions and answers. To read the entire chat click the link.
Hi Jim, Trumaine Johnson looks like a monster out there these days. How has he fared matching up against FItz in years gone by?

Johnson is playing well. I can't recall him going head to head with Fitzgerald that much. Keep in mind, he wasn't a full-time starter until 2013. Usually the Rams have had Janoris Jenkins shadowing Fitzgerald.
-----------
How do you feel about the rams playoff hope's???

Too much has to happen. Even with a victory Thursday over Arizona, I think they probably get eliminated over the weekend.
---------
Do you think the rams will be in the playoffs in 2015?

I know things can change in a hurry in the NFL, but based on what we've seen for the last month or so, I think they're a quarterback away from being a serious playoff contender in 2015. (Obviously, they have some other needs but nearly as many as in recent seasons.)
----------
Jim--condolences on the loss of Burwell. It said a lot that in his last column, he broke the biggest NFL story in St. Louis of the last 10 years (except maybe Kroenke's maneuvering to buy the team).

Thanks. Much appreciated. I've been asked several times on this chat over the past few weeks about why Burwell's column hadn't been seen in the paper, or his video blog on line. Burwell wanted to keep his illness quiet, didn't want to attract attention to himself, And I respected Burwell's wishes. And as you mentioned, Bryan was quite the journalist and an even better person.
----------
Can Austin return kickoffs? No knock on Cunningham he's doing ok but seems like that would be a lot of open space to let Austin run wild.

Austin returned 18 kickoffs as a rookie in 2013, but for only a 21.1-yard average. His quickness and change-of-direction skills lend themselves more to punt returns than kickoffs. Cunningham doesn't strike you as a home-run hitter but he currently ranks fifth in the league in KOR average at 28.5 yards per return. I don't think you want to mess with that.
----------
Austin is slowly but surely coming into his own. As are several of the 1 and 2 and 3 year players. This team is on its way and I'm happy to say that I only missed 6 games in the last 16 years to see them grow again

They do appear to be on the cusp.
--------
I'm excited to see the Rams playing so well, but I don't like that their pick in the draft is falling with every win. I share your opinion that the Rams are a quarterback away..what are the chances the Rammies trade up in the draft to get Mariota or Winston?

Don't see a tradeup happening. Maybe if Winston falls because of off-field/character issues, the Rams consider it. Although the Seminoles keep winning, his play has been pretty erratic this season. I think he's thrown something like 17 INTs this season.
---------
Glancing at different Rams stats and a few things stick out to me. One is that we have allowed 8 touchdowns off turnovers. I believe this is what cost Austin Davis the QB job. Another that sticks out is that we have not allowed a fourth down conversion against us this year, stopping 9 of 9. No real question there just a few things that stick out.

I believe it's 7 off turnovers. (Although you could, I guess, count the blocked punt for a TD as a turnover.) But that's a very high amount.
----------
Why is Tavon not considered a good route runner? Too small and gets pushed around or does not understand where to be on the route tree?

I think the first part of your own answer is valid about getting outmuscled on some routes. I think he's doing better on the route tree, etc., but still needs work.
---------
Jim, Just got to my computer so apologies if this has been discussed already. I have posted several comments where I expressed doubts about Barksdale's play, especially against the better defenders he faces. Sunday we saw him get worked over by Kerrigan. I see Barksdale as more of a solid backup than a starter, especially if we want to win championships. And I'd be wary of offering him a big contract for the future. How do you see him now?

He's not playing as well as he did last year. But I still think he's a better than average right tackle. There's no doubt that he's had some trouble this year with some of the bigger names (Kerrigan/Houston of KC). Perhaps it will effect his market value. I know the Rams still want him back.
-----------
Aaron Donald defensive rookie of the year???

A good showing against a very good Arizona team would give him a great shot, I think. He's certainly worthy.
---------
there have been a lot of calls to get a FS in the draft. I think Mcleod is playing some pretty good football. What do you say?

I was at or near the head of the pack last offseason saying the Rams needed to upgrade at FS. But McLeod has improved and continues to improve. But the Rams still need depth at that position.
---------
Aside from QB, I see our biggest priorities in the draft or FA is Center and a high caliber Guard for the O-Line. How do you feel? Thanks.

I would certainly say that the interior of the o-line _ center or guard _ would be the top priority behind QB, no doubt about it. We're not sure if Wells returns at this point _ and he's played pretty good lately. We're not sure if Tim Barnes or Barrett Jones are serious possibilities as a replacement. And I would think that Davin Joseph isn't seen as a long-term solution, especially at age 31.
------------
Wonder if all of these "trade Chris Long" people feel silly after these last couple of games.

After these last couple of games? Try after these last four or five seasons?
----------
JT - what do you feel is best route for Rams at QB next year? FA, Draft or Bradford? Heard rams may be interested in Cam Newton if CAR lets him go...

How about Bradford AND a high draft pick (top 3 rounds)?
---------
Will 2015 be an all offense draft for the Rams?

It should be in terms of QB and interior offensive line.
----------
What is up with Greg the Leg? Cant make kicks outdoors!

It's a fairly small sample size of outdoor kicks. Last year, for example, the Rams played only three games outdoors. But it is not an unusual thing for dome kickers to have a little more trouble outdoors.
----------
Will Rams have to close next year at SEA, why do schedule makers and refs hate STL?

I don't really see it as that big of a deal. The Rams have to play at Seattle some time over the course of the season. Are the Rams really better off if they play at Seattle in Week 1, Week 4, Week 8, Week 12?
--------
Haven't seen it asked yet so let me be the first. Barret Jones? Also, is Joyner healthy? Looks like he's had his position stolen, think he can play FS?

Rams are staying with the veteran Scott Wells at center and veteran Davin Joseph at right guard. Don't know what else to say about Barrett Jones except it might have been different for him had he not missed much of the offseason and preseason again because of back surgery.
---------
Will SS Baron be moved to linebacker in the off-season?? What position will the Rams use him at?

Don't think so. I think the Rams like him at the size he is; gives Rams the flexibility to use him both in linebacker ways and safety ways.
---------
is Joyner healthy? Looks like he's had his position stolen, think he can play FS, he played it at FSU?

Joyner is healthy. But how do you take E.J. Gaines out of the lineup with the way he's playing now?
--------
Do you think Legatron had some contract envy for his partner in crime Johnny Hecker?? He seemed really shaken

That's interesting. I think it has more to do with the wind, the soft ground, and the high grass. But FYI, by league rule (in the CBA) Rams can't negotiate yet with Zuerlein because he was drafted and is I believe on a four-year deal. (Just one of those quirks in the deal.) I don't think they can open negotiations with Greg until January.
----------
prediction for Thurs?

Someone earlier asked for my odds on Rams winning Thursday. I say 55-45. Winning out over entire season, I'd say 40-60.
---------
Jim, What do you think the future is for Mo Alexander? maybe line backer with his size.

He is still very raw. He was a linebacker in college until, I think, his last season. I wonder if he has enough range to play free safety. He's playing pretty well on special teams these days.
---------
Will the rams get 15 sacks over the next 3 games to maintain their 50 or more for the season streak. Seems possible with the teams ahead of them and the way they are playing. Odds?

I'm gonna say they end up with 45, which is still one heck of a recovery.
----------
Any idea which AFC and NFC divisions we play next season. I know it's early but I'm really hoping for a lighter schedule. Last four years have been one of the toughest spans I've seen. Hoping for playoffs in '15'. Go Rams!

Rams play the NFC North and AFC North next season. They get Chicago and Detroit at home, and Green Bay and Minnesota on the road in NFC North. They get Pittsburgh and Cleveland at home, and Baltimore and Cincinnati on the road.
----------
Do you think the defensive improvement is the players learning the system? Or the system (Williams) learning the players? I know he's known for making the best out of what he has.

Thanks for the question, Mom. I think it's a little bit of both. For the veterans, it hasn't been much of an adjustment because this is the same system that the Rams ran under Blake Williams _ Greg's son. But there was an adjustment for the players who joined the Rams after 2012, and there's quite of few of them. But there is also something to Williams knowing the strengths and weakness of his players, which took awhile. Especially considering, a lot of veterans were either injured, or coming of injuries during camp and didn't play much in the preseason.
-----------
Is San Fran about to fall apart and become the new bottom in the NFC west. After losing to the raiders and the rumors that harbaugh may be gone, I have a feeling they may be in for some rough seasons ahead.

Certainly trending that way. But there's still a lot of talent on that team.
---------
RE: Fisher's choice of captains for the coin toss in D.C. - it seems to me that Fisher likes to support his players, and I'm guessing -- especially with Bailey's response -- that he did it at least in part to publicly say that he's pleased with those six players. Possible?

All true. But he's not particularly adverse to jabbing an opponent either. I believe friend and colleague Mike Sando of ESPN reminded us the other day that Fisher introduced his special teams against Buffalo a year after the Music City Miracle against Buffalo.
----------
The 6 captains was a middle finger to Bruce Allen and Daniel Snyder who forced Fisher's good friend Shanahan to make that trade and then fired him.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all
----------
Jim, do you think Brian Hoyer would be an upgrade over Shaun Hill?

Interesting. Not sure. I think the Rams would certainly look at and consider Hoyer if he became available.
----------
The Phx Cardinals seem to be the most resilient team in the NFL. That said, I like the way the Rams are playing in the past 4 weeks. With Trumaine back in the lineup for this one, I could see the Rams containing Larry Fitzgerald and shutting down the Phx run game. Sounds like a winning recipe?

Any time you can keep the lid on Fitzgerald it increases your chances of winning. But the Cardinals are a very resilient and tough-minded bunch. They seem to find a lot of ways to win.
----------
Any word on how ticket sales are for the Thursday night game at The Ed? After two dominant wins by the Rams, if ever there was a time for St. Louis fans to make a stand and loudly support their team, this game and NYG game are the time.

Very little movement, I'm told on the ticket sales front in terms of purchases through Rams. (I.e. Rams ticket office, Rams on-line, etc.) Don't know what might be happening on the secondary market, however. I do agree with your overall point. If there was ever a time to make a statement about fan support, with the entire league watching, it's Thursday night.
----------
Hi Jim, could Shaun Hill possibly be the starting QB next year? While he has been in the league for several years, he doesn't have that much mileage on his body. And it seems that we now have a log jam in the secondary where Joyner and Roberson are healthy scratches. Any chance we get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Janoris?

If Hill returns, can't see it as the No. 1. Can't see Jenkins as trade bait. You can never have enough corners in this league, and the Rams were paper thin just a couple of weeks ago. Depth is a good thing.
----------
Quick question: Have the Rams filled the opening on the practice squad? At last count, they only had nine after the latest roster moves

Rams have not filled the 10th spot. They felt there really wasn't a need to do so given the vey short work week. It's possible they will fill the spot next week.
---------
What's the progress report on Barrett Jones thus far? Is he a strictly a Center or can he play Guard? I understand continuity up front, but wouldn't he be an upgrade over Joseph? Should they at least see what he has to offer?

He can play guard, and has been getting time at tackle on the scout team in practice. Jeff Fisher obviously thinks Joseph is his best option at this time. And if that's the case, and you're still trying to win games, you don't put Jones in at this time just to see what he has to offer.
---------
Well, I've flip-flopped. Earlier this season, I decided Bradford and Hill both needed to be dumped. Now, with this team showing great prowess on D, along with their success with their depleted WR corps and committee of running backs, I think they can reach divisional championship status with Bradford and Hill on the roster. What do you think?

Because of Bradford's injury history, even if he returns, I think they still need another option at QB. And most likely the best option probably would come with a high draft pick.
-----------
I really like JL55, but does he seem a little slow in run support? I watch him get caught in traffic a lot more than he used to. Maybe it is just the way their run fits are designed. Any insight there?

An ankle issue has been a factor. Some games it affects him more than others. He had ankle surgery in the offseason, and I believe, aggravated the same foot in camp. Fisher has rested him on Wednesdays the last several weeks to help keep him fresh.
----------
Is Gregg Williams's defense so complex to understand that it takes 8 weeks to figure out? Th contrast between the defense in the first half of the season with the defense of of the last couple of weeks is incredible. If the defense played consistently from week 1 the Rams would be right in the middle of the playoff hunt.

They may get to the 9-7 record predicted for them at the beginning of the season, but not in the way that ws expected, but I guess that's why Dandy don Meredith's favorite saying was " if is and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a merry Christmas we would have".

It has been incredible. But you also have to factor in injuries. Trumaine Johnson's return _ he's been back since the second San Francisco game (Nov. 2) has helped settle things down in the secondary. More recently, Chris Long's return. William Hayes started slowly having multiple offseason surgeries and missing almost all of the offseason and camp practices. And no doubt there was an adjustment process, not only in learning the defense but in Williams getting a handle on his personnel.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting to read Jones getting time at tackle with the scout team.