Rams chat with Jim Thomas - 11/11/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers from this chat. To read all of them click the link below.

http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_63?Page=0

Hi Jim, This season is for all intents and purposes over which is why I am not calling for Shaun Hill. That being said, if we were in the NFC South, do you think a QB change would be in order. Also, i think he is sticking with Davis to groom as a backup. Bring in Bradford (on a severely reduced contract), Hill, Davis and a Rookie next year and let them battle it out.

I guess your thought process being that in the NFC South you are still in contention at 3-6, so make the change? I guess that makes sense. Your plans for the future also makes sense to me. Re-sign Bradford to a reduced deal w/incentives (I don't know about "severely" reduced) and bring back Davis and draft a QB high.
---------
How likely do you think it is for Bradford to willingly restructure his contract to allow the Rams to bring him back? I seriously doubt the team will bring him back under his current deal given his injury history, but after seeing Davis against Arizona, I think Bradford deserves one more chance to stay healthy (although I'd still draft a QB somewhat early as insurance.)

I don't think Bradford is hung up much on the money aspect. He is after all, set for life. So personally I don't think a fair restructure is an issue with Sam. But the agent may be another matter.
-------
Has Schotty ever called a power sweep? I cannot ever recall seeing our tailback sweep the end.

Looked to me like the Rams ran a lot of stretch plays, and Mason got the edge a few times, including some where he bounced plays outside.
--------
Is Davis's arm that weak or is his footwork bad causing him to throw without using his legs?

I always thought that Davis had average arm strength, but he was very successful on deep throws early in the season. Just not as accurate lately.
-------
Jim: The pick six that was the beginning of the end Sunday HIT BRITT ON THE HANDS. I don't think it is right to blame that on Davis (And I am not his father). What do you think?

As I mentioned on-line and in print it was a high throw, but a catchable throw.
--------
Why has there never been an attempt to use Tavon Austin as a traditional WR ?

Because he's not a traditional WR. He's a space player. A loose-play player. Someone you use in space. And have him use his quickness to make people miss.
--------
i have been impressed with the rams' behavior this season vs the 49'ers, seahawks, and cardinals. in years past, they tried to bully these teams and be tough which led to stupid personal foul penalties, ejections, etc. this year, they were much more under control and still played physical football. so much less frustrating!

Interesting part. I think Fisher got his point across when he released Ray Ray Armstrong.
----------
After giving up a 4 and 6 round draft pick for a box safety do you think we still need to invest a draft pick on a cover safety or is Rodney Mcleod the answer back there. bad mistake on Sunday by Mcleod.

I haven't seen the coaches film on the Arizona TD to Brown. McLeod is much-improved from where he was a year ago at this time. Is that good enough over the long haul? To be determined.
----------
My question hasn't much traction on this forum because there is nothing that can be done about it. What does it take to have the NFL assign decent officials to Rams games? Isn't this now the third game where a bad call has taken away Rams momentum and effected the outcome of a game? Let the players decide the game. Secondly, why weren't the Cardinals flagged for offensive holding? There was plenty of opportunity with all the holding on Rams defensive ends.

I had not heard of this referee before (Ron Torbert). The Rams don't seem to get nearly has many holding calls against their pass rush, I will agree with that. That call on Kendricks could have gone either way. I just think the way the rules are written there is simply too much interpretation involved in making calls.
--------
How can a guy like Austin Davis go from so promising to such a dud? I'm far from giving up on him, but he has looked completely out of his element during stretches of the past three games.

He's no dud. But part of the reason for the struggles, as I wrote about last week, is that the Rams have played four top 10 defenses in the past five games. They will play another top 10 defense this week in Denver.
---------
For the life of me it is obvious that opposition DC's are loading the box and coming with pressure up the middle. Does Shotty not have roll outs to help Davis? Seems to me and I may be wrong but doesn't he have scrambling and throwing ability? It is obvious that this O Line doesn't give him much time and that he is ineffective under pressure.

The Rams have tried roll outs, screen passes. Quick bubble screens to the wide receivers. They've worked in varying degrees.
----------
Hey Jim,I been a rams fan since 1975 ,so I known football ,I want the rams to give tavon austin the ball more and try to sick to the run more ,p.s tell Mr Davis to keep his head up go rams forever

Austin Davis is a stand up guy. Lot of respect for him as a football player.
---------
How can anyone say that McCleod belongs in the NFL. I have never seen him make a play on a pass. He reminds me of one of the worst Rams of all time (LA Rams days): Pat Terrell. The only reason you ever saw his uniform was when he arrive late on a play...much like McCleod.

Pretty harsh, don't you think.
----------
Denver in town Sunday, who will start at CB when in nickel and dime packages?

If Joyner's not back, it will be Johnson and Jenkins at corner, and E.J. Gaines in the slot in the nickel package. There will have to be an extra safety in the in the dime if that's the case. If Joyner is available, it's an interesting call in the nickel. Do you bench Joyner and have Gaines covering the slot? Or vice versa.
---------
JT, safe to say new OC next year if Fisher isn't gone?

Don't think so.
----------
JT: AD drops back too far from shotgun, he is getting 9 or 10 yards deep.. Is that part of what Fisher was talking about when he included Davis in the pass protection problems, not just the "watching the rush" .. QB's should be 7 or 8 deep in pocket, 10 is too deep, so he gets more pressure than he should

Interesting point. There are times, I know when he should probably take a step or two up.
---------
Do we have the makings of an above average secondary on the current roster?

I really like what McDonald's doing at safety. Granted it's mainly as a box safety, but man did he have a game against Arizona. Barron made some eye-opening plays as well vs. Arizona _ granted he's also a box safety. I think Gaines has the makings of a solid NFL corner. Still waiting for Jenkins to be more consistent and more disciplined. Jury still out on Johnson and McLeod.
---------
Looks like the team used a lot of Big Nickel Sunday with Barron playing close to the line of scrimmage. I thought it added another playmaker on the field and reduced Dunbars snaps.

Dunbar's snaps were down a little. He has been bothered by a toe injury _ not sure if it's turf toe _ much of the season. I did like that package with Barron in Sunday's game.
--------
I have been a critic of Jared Cook for some time. I thought he had a very good game Sunday. If we can get more of the same from him week to week then I think we are a starting qb away from competing for a division title next year. Cardinals only 22 yards rushing against the defense.

Cook showed once again on Sunday some of his impressive talent. It's always been a matter of seeing that on a more consistent basis. And yes, that was a very impressive effort on run defense vs. Az.
---------
What would you say the record would be if Sam would have stayed healthy

Hard to predict, I'd say maybe a couple more.
--------
What are Mo Alexander's chances of getting some votes for DROY? Oh wait, he doesn't play. Sorry, forgot. Good pick though when there were a ton of 2nd tier developmental QBs available.

I said it at the time: I thought he was over-drafted.
--------
What do the stats say about our Run D and big plays? It seems we get alot of stops for no gain or minimal gains but then we allow a couple of big runs that skew the avg (other than this past week where we excelled all game). It just seems like it's either a 0 yard gain or a 20 yarder. How do we compare against the rest of the league?

The Rams have given up 29 "explosive" running plays this season. That's compared to 18 "explosive" running plays by their running games. Teams sometimes define explosive plays differently; the Rams define them as plays of 10 yards or more. The Rams' defense gave up 18 of those explosive runs in the first four games, or 4 1/2 per game. They have given up only 11 explosive runs over the past five games, or 2.2 per game. So they're doing better there _ they've cut those plays in half.
----------
Hey Jimmy, its a shame the Rams couldnt close out that game the other day, played their butts off for 3.5 quarters and then just collapsed. How much did this take out of team? I see a Broncos beatdown coming up.

They seem pretty resilient. And they do seem to be building some momentum on defense. We all thought that they were dead after Kansas City, and then they come back to beat San Francisco the next week. I'm not saying that will happen this week. But stranger things have happened.
---------
Aside from one play, the secondary seem to play a perfect game. Was the because of the addition of Barron or the subtraction of Jenkins?

Jenkins actually played a lot on Sunday. The secondary was good. They played a lot of single-high safety with off-coverage from the corners, and it looked like a lot of zone to me. (Yes, off-coverage can be effective.) The blitzes were effective.
----------
why do you think Rams have been struggling in the fourth quarter this season?

We'd all like that answer to that, wouldn't we. For one, the Rams don't seem to play well when they're forced to be one-dimensional _ into a pass-only mode. I do wonder if adjustments get to them as the game goes along. And I also wonder if they have enough poise and maturity to hold up when consistently when things go wrong or the game's on the line.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Mo Alexander is the pick to criticize now? Hard to keep up with the old 'moving goalpost' trick.

"Robinson was a waste!" Oh damn, he's played pretty well.

"Wasted a 3rd on Mason!" Shit... he looks good too.

"Could have taken a less shitty 2nd tier developmental QB instead of that Safety!" Ha, got 'em good this time.

Armchair GM guy everybody!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think having Joyner available to play will be important in this game. Why is that? Because Manning is a master of exposing weak links in secondaries.

My prediction there is he will torch Jenks by playing his tendencies, and by halftime we'll see Joyner back in the slot and Gaines replacing Jenks opposite Johnson. Hope I'm wrong of course, just what I expect.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think having Joyner available to play will be important in this game. Why is that? Because Manning is a master of exposing weak links in secondaries.

My prediction there is he will torch Jenks by playing his tendencies, and by halftime we'll see Joyner back in the slot and Gaines replacing Jenks opposite Johnson. Hope I'm wrong of course, just what I expect.

I'd agree. Gaines has earned his starting job, the best CB over 9 games. But I don't think we see Joyner in the slot. The other 3 I think are clearly better than him. IMO of course.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think "Barron" will come-up special this week-end!!:D

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Mo Alexander is the pick to criticize now? Hard to keep up with the old 'moving goalpost' trick.

"Robinson was a waste!" Oh damn, he's played pretty well.

"Wasted a 3rd on Mason!" crap... he looks good too.

"Could have taken a less crappy 2nd tier developmental QB instead of that Safety!" Ha, got 'em good this time.

Armchair GM guy everybody!

It would have been nice to have picked up Tom Savage. Even Mettenberger might still turn out to be really good (and I was on his bandwagon for awhile. Still think he was the perfect fit here since he was shaped under Cam Cameron.)

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It would have been nice to have picked up Tom Savage. Even Mettenberger might still turn out to be really good (and I was on his bandwagon for awhile. Still think he was the perfect fit here since he was shaped under Cam Cameron.)
Sure, it'd be nice to have a young arm on the roster right now. I agree with that. But for people to suddenly act like they knew taking someone like Alexander was a wasted pick when Bradford was healthy and practicing ahead of schedule and most everyone was happy with the arrival of Shaun Hill; that just seems a little bit like revisionist history to me.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Don't get the hate for my boy McLeod
I think he's saved us this past two years. He never gets injured plays with massive amount of guts
Kid is a solid backup
I hope he stays a Ram for a long time

lockdnram21

Legend
--------
Why has there never been an attempt to use Tavon Austin as a traditional WR ?

Because he's not a traditional WR. He's a space player. A loose-play player. Someone you use in space. And have him use his quickness to make people miss.
--------
Then they need to do a better job of getting him in space or he was severely overrated.