Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 11/03/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from this Q&A. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_18331403e489?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

How much credit do we give the D this week? 49ers are sooo bad. There numbers at against Seattle were worse than what we allowed and that was at SF.

There were still professional football players on the field for the 49ers. So yeah, you have to give the defense some credit.
--------
Conventional thought would be that the Rams passing game would improve now that running game is dangerous. The passing game seems to have gotten worse? What say you?

Yeah, that does kind of seem to be the case. The Rams did have a couple of big pass plays last week, however. And Foles isn't getting many chances to throw the ball. I think 7 NFL QBs have completed more passes than Foles has even attempted
-------
did Brian Quick dress up as a ghost for Halloween because he sure was invisible on the field this past weekend?

Hey now, he did catch one pass.
-------
What makes me so much better than other RB's in the League ?
by Todd Gurley

I think it's a combination of your speed, power, vision, and patience.
-------
Is Fisher the inverse of Martz, all defense and offense is an afterthought? These receivers are a lot like Martz's DBs... not good.

To a degree, yes, on the "inverse" comparison. I for one don't think the receivers are bad. Great no. Average to a little above average, yes.
-------
I love the old 1999 uniforms. I can't stand the current uniforms, do you think they will be changing the uniforms next year? Do they have to file something with the league office to get approved? Does management know that everyone pretty much hates the current look.

I think it takes about 2 years of lead time to change uniforms. Funny, back in the day, I can remember a lot of people hating on the old uniforms.
-------
Who are this year's potential Pro Bowlers? Might we FINALLY have one on offense?

I would say the usual suspects _ Hekker, Donald, Quinn. But at this rate you'd have to throw in Gurley.
--------
Do you think Long comes back against Minn?

No. At last check was still wearing knee brace.
--------
if the rams want to make the playoffs they need this game bad this is a big game for them...if they lay an egg what can we expect from Fisher here on out..tired of we were close....

This is a huge game for November, I agree. The Vikings are the second wild-card right now. A victory by St. Louis would move Rams into that spot. But I think even if the Rams lose to Minnesota, they still have a shot. Chicago, Detroit, and Tampa Bay at home, as well as San Francisco on the road, all look like very winnable games. That would get you to eight victories. You need two more of the five other remaining games to reach 10 wins which usually means playoffs: @Baltimore, @Cincy, @Seattle, Arizona at home, and off course @Minnesota.
-------
Feel bad for the receivers on this team. Not many slices of cake to go around. With this reality would any big free agent feel like signing here to give us a true #1?

If you were a true No. 1 free agent, I think you'd rather sign with a team that throws the ball a lot.
--------
Am I just wishful thinking but do you think our defensive backfield is playing better with the recent forced changes due to injuies ?

Not sure what you mean here. But I think they're maturing as a group. They've had continuity for a couple, three years as well. The basic secondary _ starting 4 _ is now in its 3rd year together. Plus you have the motivation of contract years approaching for Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, and Barron. Jenkins mention to me a couple of weeks ago that he liked the work of defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson as well.
--------
Will Hayes & Westbrooks success in Long's absence dictate how the Rams proceed with Long this off-season?

Don't think so. Remember, Hayes is scheduled for unrestricted free agency.
--------
I'm baffled by the passing game. Foles doesn't appear to be the problem. Bailey can't even get open in this scheme. It was great to see Cook contribute and we need him badly. I don't feel that there is a possession receiver on the roster. Interesting that they were using Marquis (special team player) on offense. Shows that they are really searching for some sort of answer. What answer would you suggest for better third down efficiency.

Well,, Marquez was in for only four plays. I think Foles can play better. There are a lot of factors with respect to third down. 1.) They've had a lot of third and longs. 2.) Most third downs are passing situations and we all know the passing game is struggling. 3.) Better blocking would help. In other words, some of the same issues that are affecting the offense as a whole need to improve to help the offense on third down.
---------
Ignore if this question was already asked. Would you place Gurley in the same league as Faulk? It's only been a few games but if he continues this level of play year after year, can he be as good or even better than Faulk?

Certainly not after four games. They're different styles of runners of course. What set Faulk apart from just about every other back that played the game was his pass-catching ability. It looks like Gurley has some potential there, but still needs to develop as a pass catcher. Even with his knee issues, Faulk was very durable for an NFL back. Let's see if the same holds for Gurley.
--------
Rams fan from the UK! Have you heard any rumours of the Rams coming to London for a game next year? There have been whispers here that suggest maybe they are

Haven't heard anything on that topic. But with 3 NFL games a year now in London, another Rams' turn should be coming up pretty soon.
-------
James Lauriniatis seems like a great interview. I get the feeling Saffold has always been good to the press also. Who else can you talk to and get real answers not player platitudes?

Once his football career ends, I think Laurinaitis has a great career ahead of him as a studio analyst or game analyst. And I think he has some interest in pursuing that when the time comes. Both Laurinaitis and Saffold have won the Bryan Burwell "Good Guy" Award, which goes to a Rams player annually for his cooperation with the media.

It's awarded by the St. Louis Chapter of the Pro Football Writers. It's a good locker room overall. Lance Kendricks, William Hayes, Greg Robinson, Cory Harkey, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Jared Cook are all interesting guys to talk to.
--------
are the Rams too predictable with relying so heavily on running and, if so, how can they improve the passing so they have balance?

It's only been 4 games with Gurley, but so far that "predictability" hasn't led to a decrease in production. Minnesota, which ranks just behind the Rams at 7th in total defense, will be a good test this week. I don't think the Rams have to be great at passing the football because of the other elements they possess on defense, special teams, and in the running game. They just have to be average.

As to how they can improve the passing game, there are a variety of factors which we all have discussed at one point or another. Better blocking. Better play by Foles. More cases of receivers making the tough catch. Better separation by receivers, more involvement by Gurley in the passing game, etc.
--------
What's your take on Polished Concrete-gate at the Dome? Do you expect the CVC to make any moves to cover those surfaces?

That would seem to be the way to go.
--------
I saw a stat on tv stating TG reached a higher speed in each of the last four games. What was his fastest 40 in college?

I think he's regarded as a 4.4 guy. Not wearing his knee brace in the past 2 games I'm sure has helped.
--------
What are the odds we ever see Austin and Gurley in the backfield together with Foles in the pistol?

I say, why not? At least for a play or two here and there.
--------
Is Greg Robinson improving? I personally hope you have to delay this chat to announce that the Rams traded for Joe Thomas and are moving Robinson to guard.

I do think he's getting better. But his pass blocking remains inconsistent. As for trade deadline, I'm not anticipating any chat delays.
--------
Any veiled comments from anyone team-side about Cunningham fumbling yet again?

No.
-------
As it looks right now dont you think Rams are a better team than Seahawks ? (I sincerely hope we can win the division, Cards are good, but pretty lucky also in the last 2 games..)

I don't think I'm ready to go that far yet, but the gap between the Seahawks and Rams is as close as it's been for years..
--------
A question and a comment regarding the concrete issue at the Dome. Is the concrete part on both the Rams and visitor's side? NFL.com writer (Hanzus) bringing into question the safety of the Dome (pyrotechnic fire and concrete) issue.

Yes, there is concrete on the fringes of both sidelines.
--------
I wish the Rams would have kept Zac Stacey. He can get those tough yards and can help finish off a game. Once the Rams drafted Gurley, it seems that made Watts more expendable. Seemed like a team guy as well...plus good pass catcher and pass blocker...

I don't know about that one. Stacy isn't exactly lighting it up for the Jets: 30 carries for 86 yards, 2.9 per catch.
-------
Did Bush NOT run thru a lot of 49'ers who could have caught him before hitting the wall?

If you look at the replay, I'm not so sure that Bush didn't twist the knee before he hit the concrete.
---------
Who do you think will win Sunday, Rams or Vikings?

I think I'm going Minnesota.
------
I liked that the Rams offense at least tried to stretch the field with its receivers. Do you believe the receivers have more difficulty getting open against zones than man-to-man?

Fisher has indicated that the passing game has to do better against man coverage.
---------
Has the tactic of benching a player for bad play become a lost art? Cook for drops and lack of effort, Foles in the first half against Cleveland etc? In lots of sports that gets a players attention

I don't know. I saw T.J. McDonald on the sidelines for a few plays Sunday, getting some things with coverage "cleared up" according to Fisher.
--------
Can you fill us in on Manions progress? Is he possibly our future QB?

Well, it's hard to get much of a read on the third QB during the regular season. Foles gets almost all of the reps w/the regular offense. Case Keenum gets the vast majority of the reps with the scout team. So we don't see all that much of Mannion in 11-on-11, or team, situations. But I don't think you draft a QB in the third round if you don't think he has starter's potential.
--------
Are the Rams going to be able to afford all their FAs? Seems like many of them are having their best years ever.

That's a good question. They're in good overall shape, cap-wise. I think they should be able to sign many of them. I don't think they necessarily want to re-sign all of them.
--------
I can see the Vikings winning and I think it will be as tough if not a tougher challenge than the Cards but I really think the Rams can pull it out if they can contain AP and establish their own running game. Last year they shut AP down except for that one 79 yard TD that changed the entire game. I think they win 20-17.

What you outlined certainly could be the victory formula. As for your game specifics, I think you're talking about the 2012 game here. Last season here, Peterson's longest run was 17 yards.
--------
Does the OC take his playbook with him when he leaves, i.e., Schottie? Did our OC have to create his plays from scratch?

Pretty sure there's more than 1 copy.
---------
Mason runs hard but seems to get knocked over by tackles that Gurley can just power thru. Gurley looks relatively thin to me, where does he generate that power?

Gurley looks slender, but he's listed at 227. That's pretty good size.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you read the whole chat, some comment talks about a video shown before the last game to the fans...Anybody in here know what it was? Or did anyone see it live?

Found it

• default.png

Hey jim, i tweeted to you about the video the rams showed right before the game sunday, it kindve had a bittersweet feel to it. What did you think?
    by charles 1:16 PM
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

Sorry, I missed that tweet. Yeah, it was very powerful given what's going on these days.
    by jthomas 1:17 PM

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Has the tactic of benching a player for bad play become a lost art? Cook for drops and lack of effort, Foles in the first half against Cleveland etc? In lots of sports that gets a players attention

I don't know. I saw T.J. McDonald on the sidelines for a few plays Sunday, getting some things with coverage "cleared up" according to Fisher.

There is a significant difference in the expectations of the staff for the offense and defense. Fish doesn't F around with the defense, and you can see it even with his coordinator moves. He fired two DCs in a row until finally getting Greg back in the fold, while suffering through three seasons of bad offense with Schotty. Had he made the tough decision with Schotty earlier he might have had a chance at some good OCs like Turner with whom he goes back so far. Same deal with the players, where he puts up with bad upon bad upon bad with Cookie but if the dude was a defensive player he'd be cut by now or at least benched.

IMO Fish needs to examine that side of things and be honest with himself. Offensive players are not nearly as well challenged as the defensive guys and it shows. The fix would be to let Cigs sit guys who suck, even if it's just for a few series or game. Does Cigs have that power? I don't know.