Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 10/27/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from this Q&A. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_bfeba49c47e2?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

Where are the Rams on free agency? They have cap space, but I see no effort to get something done with T. Johnson, or Jenkins. There are many key free agents coming up.

They're working on these guys. Just nothing yet.
--------
Looking at Rams schedule How many of the next 5 games do you think are winnable. Your projections please

Well as we all now by now, these Fisher Rams are unpredictable. But they should certainly be favored at home against San Fran this Sunday and Chicago on Nov. 15. I think at Minnesota on Nov. 8 and at Baltimore on Nov. 22 are winnable as well. Neither will be easy. Yeah, I know the Ravens are 1-6, but they're a tough out. Vikings at 4-2 are very good defensively. At Cincinnati on Nov. 29, probably not.

--------
This offense is really had to watch, save for Gurley (in the 2nd half). I really think this team has talent at the WR position but not the coaching to exploit said talent. With the emergence of #30, this team should be able to move the ball through the air...Given that, SF won't be a pushover.

Not sure why you're pointing at the coaching with respect to the wide receivers. Anyway, San Fran can be stubborn on defense. Even this year's San Fran.
--------
What is the deal with Quick? Is he hurt, rusty, or lost?

He was on the field for 26 plays vs. Cleveland, or basically half of the Rams' offensive plays. However, he was thrown to only once. When you're throwing only 23 passes _ like the Rams did Sunday _ it's hard for anyone to get the ball consistently in the passing game.
---------
What are the main areas you think the Rams should address in next year's draft?

Again, a lot of that depends on what happens with the Rams re-signing their free agents. For example, 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary are scheduled for unrestricted free agency next year: Jenkins, Johnson, and McLeod. If the Rams re-sign all 3, the secondary isn't an issue. If they re-sign none of the 3, the secondary is a huge issues. Same at defensive end, where talented backups William Hayes and Eugene Sims are up after this season. Barron, Zuerlein, and Harkey also are pending free agents.
--------
Who do you think will be our Pro Bowlers when it's all said and done this season?
The only ones I can really foresee are Donald and Quinn.

Maybe Gurley, if he keeps this up.
--------
if i was to attend one home game from here on out (9 hour drive), and wanted to see a victory, which game do you guarantee a win?

There are few guarantees in life or football. But I'd head down this week.
---------
I live in Cleveland so it was nice to have a televised game to finally watch. TG made some nice hurdles on Sunday. Not surprised to find out he was world class hurdler in High School. Local media saying how bad Rams beat up the Browns (physically)

Yeah, it was one of the more physical games I'd say for the Rams defense.
---------
Greetings of aloha from the state of Hawaii. What can be done to improve the Rams' third down efficiency? What is your prediction for the score of the Rams vs. 49ers game this coming Sunday? Mahalo (thank you)!

For one, the Rams need more third-and-manageable situations. You know, third-and-2, third-and-4, etc., rather than third-and-8, third-and-12. But it's been a tough nut to crack that's for sure. And I don't think I can offer you anything that the coaching staff hasn't already thought of. My score for Sunday: Rams 23, 49ers 16.
--------
any news on possibly trading Cook? After that fumble, not sure who would want this guy.

Haven't heard anything since last week. Trading deadline one week from today.
--------
When the game was 10 to 6 I said to myself, this is where Fisher likes to be. Low scoring defensive battle. Do you believe he has any real concern about his offense?

I'm sure he's concerned. More often than not, you've got to score in the 20s to win in the NFL. And half the time this season, the Rams haven't been anywhere near the 20s. They've scored, 10, 6, and 10 points in their three losses.
--------
How does Mannion look in practice-does he have a future as a starter?

I guess OK. During the regular season, it's hard for the third QB to get much work. But I do believe he has starter's potential.
--------
Any concern about Zuerlein at this point?

Fisher says no. Remember, it's a contract year for Zuerlein.
--------
I'm shocked that SB has not been injured yet. Are you satisfied with Foles and who got the better end of the trade so far?

Way too early to pass judgment on the trade. Foles has been OK. He's played 2 very good games, 1 bad game, and 3 others that are somewhere in between. As for Bradford, yeah, he's taking some shots that'sfor sure _ and throwing the ball a lot.
--------
In regards to Zuerlein and NFL kickers in general, do you foresee a trend of tired kicking legs due to longer extra points?

Don't know about tired kicking legs. But Fisher made a very good point Monday. There are no more gimmes now that the extra point has been moved back to 33 yards. That means extra pressure on kickers, and sometimes that pressure adds up.
--------
I sure am glad Foles is a tough guy, I don't think SB would have lasted 2 games. I hope the O line can start to jell

Tough he is.
--------
Do you know where Foles stands in the QB rankings?

He's 27th among the 32 QBs that have played enough to qualify for the rankings, with a passer rating of 78.9
--------
What is the biggest problem so far with our pass offense?

More than one issue. It's pass-blocking. It's receivers getting open. It's Foles spotting the open receivers and throwing accurately. It's being in manageable down-and-distance situations to maintain possession and get into a rhythm.
--------
As talented as Cook is, is his average productivity attributed to laziness and lack of focus?

So you know for a fact that Cook is lazy? Based on what? That's quite an accusation. Staying after practice every day to catch practices on the JUGs machine isn't the sign of a lazy person.
---------
The last time I saw a RB makin moves like Gurley was back when we had the hall of famer Marshall Faulk. Do these two ever talk together? Maybe watch some film together like Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed were doing in ROCKY IV?

Faulk in fact was at Rams Park today to interview Gurley for the NFL Network.
--------
Is the O-Line a really strong run blocking group, or does Gurley just make them look that way?
The pass blocking looks less than par, does this group have the potential to improve much in that aspect?

I think the group has improved as run blockers, obviously having someone like Gurley makes them look better. I think the pass blocking can improve, but it won't happen overnight.
--------
the beauty of Foles QB ranking is the 3 guys below him are Bradford, Newton and Luck - all #1 draft picks

I don't know if there's anything beautiful about it.
--------
Barron was all over the field Sunday. Can you see a lineup with him, Tree, and JL all starting at linebacker when Tree is healthy? I know they all 3 play on the field a lot during passing downs, but would they be stout enough on running downs too?

That's an interesting possibility. And actually, it probably took place on some downs before Ogletree's injury.
--------
What is the plan for Brian Quick and when do you think they'll try to get him involved? We need a spark on the outside!

Once again, he has played more each week since he's returned to the lineup. The Rams would like to get him the ball more often. They'd like to get everyone the ball more often. It's hard to do when you're averaging only 53 plays per game and not throwing the ball that much.
--------
Please gaze into your crystal ball and name the 3 best offensive/defensive players on the Rams in 3 years (assuming if they are FA's they resign).

Three years from now? That's a lifetime in the NFL. Certainly you'd say Gurley at RB. I'd throw Austin in there, and either Robinson or Brown on the offensive line. On defense, Ogletree, Quinn, and Donald.
--------
could Ogletree be returning sooner than later or is he pretty much done for the year? Also, Chris Long injury an MCL?

Ogletree out till December, and no guarantees he will return this year. As for Long, according to Fisher there was no ligament damage.
-------
I have been critical of Kenny Britt in the past. The big catch against the Browns was appreciated but we need more regular third down receptions from him. Also , like it or not, we need Jared Cook to play to his salary to win the division. Do you agree.

Sure.
--------
with all the rules changes that seem to benefit the offense (illegal contact, pass interference), and the fact that Fisher is on the competition committee, why wouldn’t he try and take advantage of the passing game?

Foles’s biggest day passing the ball came when the Rams utilized bunch formations with three wide receivers to one side. not to mention the pass interference britt drew that jump started the offense. we see teams like the patriots abuse the rub/pick plays all the time. the rams seem to never use the rub. Gurley is awesome! But Fisher’s offense has to open it up!

I feel your frustration. Bunch formations aren't nearly as effective against zone coverage. And the Rams do run some pick plays.
-------
I've attended each of the home games this year, and I think the crowds are pretty lively, even if not very large. Also, just a comment: I think getting Mark Barron for a 6th round draft pick looks like a genius move. He's played great, and many times 6th round picks have basically been throw-away picks (except EJ Gaines).

Mark, thanks for playing. . . .Crowd has been lively. As for Barron, the Rams actually gave up a fourth and a sixth for him. But it still looks like a good trade, don't you think?
--------
What are the odds that the following will be back with the Rams next year--Cook, Saffold, Long? A lot of money that could be used for Jenkins, et al

For a variety of reasons, there are no guarantees that either Cook, Saffold, or Long will be back in 2016, but the Rams have enough money to re-sign Jenkins right now if they wanted to, and they should be in good cap shape after the season as well.
-------
Just noticed that Houston cut Mallett and now they are down to only 1 healthy QB (Hoyer) Bet Houston would love to have Casey back-possibility for a trade?

If the Rams traded Keenum to Houston, then who's your backup QB in St. Louis? Mannion isn't ready.
-------
Ignoring the fact that he's secure for at least one more year under Kroenke, would you advocate for the firing of Fisher this year if we miss playoffs? I'm certainly not on the fire bandwagon yet, but you HAVE to get to the playoffs.

It's not my decision to make. But personally, I'm not sure if I view it as playoffs or bust. So you're saying if the team finishes 9-7 and doesn't make the playoffs, which could very well happen, that you'd advocate firing Fisher?
--------
What would lead Fisher to consider replacing Foles with Keenum?

Many, many more interceptions.
-------
I asked this last week, but wasn't very clear. If you could hand pick a position or two to improve at this point of the season, would it be TE and WR

Tight end, wide receiver, guard, and tackle.
-------
Janoris Jenkins could be having a pro bowl year? when was the last time we had a pro bowl corner?

Aeneas Williams made it as a cornerback in 2001 (he also made it as a safety in 2003). Before that, Todd Lyght made it in 1999.
--------
any idea what C Longs cap number is next year? Is he older than Hayes?

Long counts $14.25 million against the cap; he's due a $2 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year (in early March). He's about 5 weeks older than Hayes.
-------
Is it me or does it seem like Greg misses to the right often.

He's missed wide left twice, and wide right twice this year. His fifth miss was a block.
--------
As far as the Foles/Bradford trade... Wasn't there some language that effects what pick the Rams get based on Bradford's performance/health/games played etc? Have any of those benchmarks been reached?

If Bradford missed the entire 2015 regular season, the Eagles get an additional third-round pick from the Rams in 2016. Obviously that one's off the board. Also, if Bradford plays fewer than 50 percent of the Eagles' offensive snaps in '15, the Eagles get a fourth-rounder in 2016. That one's still in play, but getting less likely by the week since Philly's already played 7 games.
---------
If the Rams have any injuries on the OL this year, who do you feel "good" about coming in as a replacement? In other words, how are the new young guys progressing? (Wichman, Donnall, Battle...) Will any of them likely compete for playing time next year?

Battle still has a ways to go. Very raw. I'd say Donnal and Wichmann seem to be next in line at guard. I know the Rams like Donnal's toughness. If Saffold doesn't return, there could be a starting spot open at guard.
--------
I was skeptical about M Barron starting at the outside linebacker position for Sunday's game, but I thought he played really well and his stats backed it up. How do you see the position setting up for this Sunday?

The Rams are making no bones about it: they're listing Barron as their starting weakside linebacker on the official depth chart.
-------
In your prediction for this Sunday, of the 23 points you give the Rams, how many are defensive points? Do you think the O could actually score that many points vs. 49ers defense, which is not a pushover?

You do realize that the 49ers are ranked 31st in total defense, don't you?
---------
Has Gurley been voted the Pepsi Rookie of the week 3 times now or 2?

This is the third week, I believe,, that he's been nominated. He has won once.
---------
Jim our D gave up 300 plus passing yards, 80% completions (Jonnie $ as well) , more first downs than us and time of possession lopsided in Browns favor. We can't rely on getting 4 TO's every game. How concerned are you? I'm not feeling too good about this D. Where do they rank?

I'm not really sweating the defense at this point, Cutman. McCown had been averaging 342 yards passing and 2 TDs per game over his past 4 contests for a Cleveland offense that was tied for 10th in the league entering Sunday's game. He had 270 yards and zero TDs on Sunday.
--------
I just love watching Aaron Donald. Did you see how quick he was in the backfield, tackling the ball-carrier just as he was receiving the hand-off? I've seen the replay several times, and still shocks me how fast he got into the backfield! I wonder if he had time to even think about snatching that hand-off for himself!

He was just short of incredible on that entire series. Two plays earlier, he pancaked his man pass-rushing McCown helping to mess up the play. On the play after the one in which he almost took the handoff, he flushed McCown out of the pocket (with help from Quinn). And on the play after that, he got caught inside which inadvertently opened a hole for Duke Johnson on a 10-yard gain on a run, but hustled down field to make the tackle.

12th in total defense
--------
Will the Rams re-sign #55 - he has been a great leader and solid player.

Not an issue at the moment. He's under contract through 2017.
--------
When is Kendricks likely to be back? Also Quin and Long?

We'll get a better idea as the week progresses, but I'd say it's possible Kendricks returns this week. Quinn played against Cleveland (although not as much as usual). It may be several weeks still for Long.
--------
With a win this Sun. and therefore a 4-3 record when was the last time the Rams will have been over .500 after 7 games?

They were 4-3 under Scott Linehan in 2006. (Team started 4-1, then lost seven of eight, and finished 8-8.)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, some bozo said he's not feeling too good about the d.

Man oh man. You gotta wonder about some people.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
god there are some dumbass fans out there. the one dude complaining about our "bad" defense. are you fuckin kidding me? man Jim Thomas must have a real calm demeanor to deal with some of these bone heads