Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 1/5/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_e10008e71045?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

do you think Drew Brees has any interest in coming here! and do Rams have any interest in bringing him in?

I think if you're the Rams, you look at all possible avenues to improve the team at quarterback. If that means making Brees say "no" to you, so be it. I don't see any way that Brees would want to come to St. Louis. Usually, star players that are in their final years try to play for Super Bowl contenders. I don't think any of you would put the Rams in that category. Also, why would he want to play in a conservative run-first offense. Doesn't make any sense.
--------
Do I have a shot at Defensive MVP ? - aaron donald

Don't think so.
-------
why is Jeff Fisher have so much job security. San Francisco fired their coach after just 1 year. Is Stan just keeping him around because of the relocation issues and figures till that's resolved he can't get anyone else?

That could be part of it. There's also that matter of the $7 million Kroenke would owe Fisher if he fired him.
--------
How did I do with TJ McDonald on IR? - Maurice Alexander

Pretty good I thought. I think you have more range than McDonald, although you're not quite as physical.
--------
What's your take on Fisher already naming Keenum starting QB next year? Pretty frustrating if they enter the season with the same 3 QB's

Trust me, they are going to check out some options at quarterback.
--------
Can we revisit Bradford & Foles trade as an epilogue? Both QB's about even, assuming they made it through 16 games, I didn't have high expectations that Foles would be much better than Bradford. But hey, we got a 2nd round pick and saved millions on the Bradford contract, so OK. Then we never used the millions to sign anybody who is a pending FA?

How were we so wrong in evaluating Foles in training camp extending his contract and then turn 180 and kick him to the curb hard during the season? Who pushed for the Foles extension - Snead??? Can't believe we went through all of this and are still empty handed at the QB position. Again.

It certainly looks like a swing and a miss on Foles. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Les Snead who pushed for the extension.
--------
I was at the game Sunday. I never have been a Greg Williams fan- I think he's positively overrated. My feelings were confirmed after watching his defense get torched by Blaine Gabbert and the NFL's 31st ranked offense. Any chance he goes away?

Don't think so.
--------
In the final game against SF, I could not tell how they were able to block Zuerlein's last kick. Was he slow to kick the ball or did someone miss a blocking assignment on the left side?

According to Fisher, Demetrius Rhaney messed up a blocking assignment inside, leaving Kendricks in a tough situation on the left side. Kendricks did what you're supposed to do in that situation _ block the inside guy.
--------
If Chip Kelly ends up with the Winers, do you still see them trading Kaep ?

That's an interesting scenario. Kelly in San Fran might opt to keep Kaepernick for his read option value.
--------
I love these chats and your columns. How much can we count on now that the offseason is here? And who do you follow on Twitter for NFL information?

I'll be at the NFL owners meetings next week, the Super Bowl next month. We will have follow-up stories all of this week as we wrap up the season, including my season-ending report card, which I believe is scheduled for Sunday. These chats continue on a weekly basis throughout most of the offseason, always on Tuesdays unless there's a schedule conflict.

Now the thing that may change this over the long run, of course, is if the Rams move to LA. As for who I follow, it's a lot of people. The teams themselves, agents, players, beat writers in various cities, and national writers.
--------
Is Ryan Fitzpatrick a free agent and wouldn't he be a better QB than Foles/Keenum even with the interceptions he throws?

Fitzpatrick is a free agent. I though he would've been nice to pick up last offseason _ when he also was a free agent. I think the Rams might be in the playoffs this year if they had Fitz.
---------
If Fisher has a real interest in improving his offense this offseason then i would hope he reaches out to talk with Chris Ault.

I'm sure Fisher will look around and contemplate other possibilities, but I would say he's leaning pretty strongly for bringing back Boras at this point as OC.
--------
Glad to see Tre Mason get some work before the end of the year. Has he handled backing up Gurley well this season? Is he looking to ask to go to another team next year where he has a chance to start?

Mason has handled it well. Didn't complain. Haven't heard of him pulling a Zac Stacy and seeking a trade. Based on how he performed this year, which wasn't very well, I don't think he'd draw much interest from teams looking for a starter.
--------
I was at the game in SF and was treated really well by the local fans. I must confess to a great deal of disappointment in that fake field goal! Come on now! 50 yard pass? Really? Difference in the game?

Actually, it was a fake punt. Don't think it had an impact on the game either way.
--------
Are Saffold, Ogletree, Quinn and McDonald on place to be healthy for the start of training camp, next season?

Yes on all.
--------
did Greg the Leg have a down year?

Even though at least 2 of the blocks weren't his fault, and he was sent out there to kick a lot of 50 yards-plus FGs, I think you'd have to say that 20 out of 30 was a down year. For sure.
--------
To make the playoffs, the Rams need to move up to at least 15-18 from 32. I don't think Boras, who I believe never has held a coordinator position. If Fisher stands pat, the game truly has passed him by.

Boras did work as a coordinator for a few years in college several years ago at UNLV.
--------
If the Rams get another QB in the offseason, which of the current three becomes the odd man out? They seem to like Keenum, Foles has that guaranteed money for which they're on the hook regardless of whether he's on the team or not and Mannion is one year into a developmental program.

It would be Foles. The Rams have the cap room to eat that money if they so desire.
--------
Any possibility they just sign back TJ and go into the season with him and Gaines to save money?

Sure, I think that's a real possibility. Especially since Janoris Jenkins has hinted he may go to the highest bidder.
-------
Online sites show us as being in the top 6 of available cap room? Is this roughly accurate? Also, are Chris Long and Jared Cook the most likely cap casualties if any? Chris Long I think projects as one of if not the highest cap hit next year and his health and performance have been in questions. Stand up guy, but that is a lot of money when we need to retain our secondary.

The on-line sites are showing that $6 million or so based on the 2015 cap. Actually, the Rams will have about $50 million available when they start the 2016 cap, based on players under contract. So if they desire, they can keep Long and keep Cook. The Rams can also rework their contracts if they like. I don't know what the Rams will do with either player. But their offseason strategy isn't dependent on doing anything with either.
---------
I think William hayes played better then long this year, your thoughts..

Agreed, Don't you think that's why he continued starting throughout the rest of the season after Long returned from injury.
--------
Jim, if Bradford hits FA would the Rams look at him?

No.
--------
If you can go back, do you make the Bradford trade again?

I don't think I would've done it in the first place. I think I would've signed a veteran to complete against him and drafted a QB.
--------
Who do you see as our biggest FA priorities in house? Trumaine Johnson, Mark Barron and McLoud should all come back on my opinion. The way you talk about our cap room makes me think that should be possible?

It certainly starts in the secondary. You've got to have at least one of those 2 corners back. If you don't re-sign McLeod _ who I don't think played as well this year as he did in 2014 _ you better have a replacement in mind because I don't think there's one on the roster. Barron's an interesting case, a hybrid safety/linebacker who can be very valuable I think to your defense if you can bring him back. I also think you need to bring at least one of the two backup DEs back _ Hayes or Sims.
--------
What happened to me? I was a projected 1st round pick this upcoming year and now I'm nothing more than a afterthought in St Louis. Should I buy or rent? - Isaiah Battle

You knew all along that your first season was going to be a redshirt year.
--------
there was a lot of hype about Ethan Westbrook coming from Rams park in his rookie season. As he has received more playing time I don't see him being more than just another guy. Do you see it differently. I also didn't think Fairley was all that either.

I kind of agree with you on Westbrooks, but I think his progress has been slowed to a degree by moving back and forth between tackle and end. I also agree with you on Fairley, although he did play better over the second half of the season.
--------
If the Rams go O-line either early in the draft or free agency, which position do you think is most important? My opinion is Right Guard. I like Robinson/Saffold on the left side, Barnes did an above avg job at Center, and I think Havenstein has a chance to be the best of the bunch. What is your opinion?

After all the draft picks expended on the offensive line this year, I'm not sure that's a big area of focus this year. I think Jamon Brown has potential at RG; and I don't think Cody Wichmann was overmatched either.
--------
#61 (Barnes?) that recovered the two fumbles and saved the game, did he get a game ball?

In Seattle, yes.
--------
Is the Wes Welker experiment over?

Believe so.
--------
If I'm being overly cranky about what I writee now, by all means call me out: Even at present, commentators aside, the criticisms of Fisher have been wholly "results-oriented," about his record. It's astonishing, however, that he can plead he has a young o-line when he put the team in this position; and when, as part of his hiring--correct me on this, please--he exerts enormous control over personnel, having a young general manager as well.

His game-time decisions, his inconsistency in results, his failure to get a working QB for at least a few years, his failure to protect a gimpy Bradford, his inability to create a powerful offense to go with a powerful defense, as if unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, as if one precludes the other; his near-squandering of the Robert Griffin treasure trove of draft picks (the best players of recent years are not from those picks although I'm being ungenerous), and his incapacity to be anything other than massively defensive and stubborn:

It feels to me as though this is fantastically indicting of his capacities, and maybe I'm wrong, but more deserving of attention. Call me out if you think I'm being unfair.

You make many interesting points. And I can't say I disagree on a lot of what you have said. You would think 4 years would be enough time to get your roster set, particularly with all those draft picks from the RGIII trade and spinoff trades.
--------
do you think the Rams should trade Long for picks?

I'd keep him.
--------
A quick scan of the QB free agents show Fitz and Chase Daniel as the most appealing. Chase has already intrigued me. What do you think of the two and how realistic they are?

I like your thinking. Again, I thought Fitz would've been a good pickup last year. Daniel also is very intriguing. The only concern with him is that he hasn't had much playing time over the years. His last game notwithstanding, I think Fitz played well enough for the Jets that they will try to get him back. And with Marshall and Decker to throw to, why wouldn't Fitz want to stay there. I do think the Rams will at least explore some bigger fish as well that potentially might be available on the QB market.
---------
I say 3 or 4 games could've went our way. Pittsburgh, Vikings, Ravens, and 49ers.
If we split the two, we at least get to a winning season!
Has this been one of the more competitive teams in the JF era?

Yes to your question, but I think that only makes the final result all the more frustrating. You beat Seattle twice, win in Arizona, but yet can't beat the Ravens or 49ers.
-------
Biggest surprise this season? Offense, Defense, and Special teams.

Offense--Gurley played so well so quickly following his Georgia surgery. Defense--Mark Barron becomes teams leading tackler, playing linebacker. Special teams--The emergence of Bradley Marquez.
--------
Do you think the OL will look the same for next season?

To a large degree, yes.
--------
Not that we have a lot of draft picks to play with but other than Tavon Austin, our average WR corps has got to go. Care to make a case for keeping any of them?

I'd keep Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, and Bradley Marquez. That means you still need at least two more. You don't know what Stedman Bailey's status is.
--------
assuming Fisher brings in WR/TE help - either via draft or FA, do you have any faith that his offensive philosophy will be able to maximize their talents?

Very good question. But I do think Fisher realizes they need more from the outside WR position _ he said as much Monday.
-------
Where should the blame fall for the Rams' continued mediocrity? I was actually offended by how they played on Sunday.

It was pretty offensive. I think there's plenty of blame to go around. Head coach. Personnel department, ownership/management, and yes, the players.
--------
With Quinn's back injury this year and Long's poor luck with injries last couple of years, can they really afford to lose me and William next year? How much do you think we will get Jim?

Hayes loves playing for Fisher. Don't know how much he'll make, but I'd be surprised if he's not back w/Rams.
---------
Case seemed to play a lot better the last 4 games. I believe the O would have been just fine vs. SF if not for the drop by Britt on 3rd down and the deep pass drop by Quick. Really think they need a stud WR for next year. What do you think?

They definitely need a stud wide receiver.
---------
It will be interesting to see if Mannion shows progress next year, they say he has the strongest arm on the team

I believe Mannion does have the strongest arm of the three.
--------
life long Rams fan here since the days of Decon and Merlin its an offensive game now that being said why do the Rams not truly address this year after year?

Well, it's not like they haven't tried. At QB, they traded for Foles (and Keenum for that matter) and drafted Mannion. They spent big bucks at tight end (Cook, and re-signing Kendricks). Spent big bucks on O-linemen (J. Long, Wells, and re-signing Saffold). They drafted a zillion O-linemen in this past draft. At WR, they've drafted ones in the 1st (Austin), 2nd (Quick), 3rd (Bailey), and 4th (Givens). So they've addressed it _ but there's often a big difference between addressing an issue, and actually solving it.
----------
I finally caught Marshall Faulk's documentary on the NFL Network. It talked about him taking notes in offensive meeting and demanding his teammates be as much a student of the game as him? Does anybody on this offense try to be as much of a student as Faulk was?

Things improved, I think, with Keenum at QB, but I think there's a distinct lack of leadership on the offensive side of the ball.
---------
Do you think Longacre and Westbrook could replace Hayes' and Sims' production if the Rams lose them in free agency?

Don't think so. Especially not at this point in their careers.
---------
Given the benefit of 2 years of hindsight, the fact that the NFL is a pasing league and Sammy Watkins 15 career TDs and Greg Robinson's multiple penalties for holding and false starts who would you draft using the 2014 number 2 overall draft pick?

Jake Matthews.
------
If all things are equal, and you can only keep 1 CB, who would you choose? TJ or JJ?

That's a tough call. But I think I'd go Trumaine Johnson.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I can only hope and pray Fisher is playing some kind of smokescreen like he did to no avail during the draft when he was saying he wanted Manziel etc...

I can only hope he just isn't publicly revealing his utter disdain for the offense and has big plans to radically transform this offense

lockdnram21

Legend
I can only hope and pray Fisher is playing some kind of smokescreen like he did to no avail during the draft when he was saying he wanted Manziel etc...

I can only hope he just isn't publicly revealing his utter disdain for the offense and has big plans to radically transform this offense
Haha that's funny. We will be conservative like he always is. Run Run Run

FRO

Legend
Yeah let's hope it's a smoke screen. I have no clue why we should stay in house for OC.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you can go back, do you make the Bradford trade again?

I don't think I would've done it in the first place. I think I would've signed a veteran to complete against him and drafted a QB.

amen to that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't see any way that Brees would want to come to St. Louis. Usually, star players that are in their final years try to play for Super Bowl contenders. I don't think any of you would put the Rams in that category. Also, why would he want to play in a conservative run-first offense. Doesn't make any sense.

Fitzpatrick is a free agent. I though he would've been nice to pick up last offseason _ when he also was a free agent. I think the Rams might be in the playoffs this year if they had Fitz.

Talk about a waffle. Which is it? Brees wont come to the Rams because they are not close, or Fitzpatrick would have taken them to the playoffs? If it is the latter then Brees could take them to the Superbowl.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I think if the Rams added Drew Brees, they would be a super bowl contender.

FRO

Legend
I think if the Rams added Drew Brees, they would be a super bowl contender.
I agree. Defense is very good. We got the best RB in the league. Brees and some weapons would put us over the top.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Add Brees thats what I been saying for a few weeks now. Then draft Tredwell BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Legend
If Fisher has a real interest in improving his offense this offseason then i would hope he reaches out to talk with Chris Ault.

I'm sure Fisher will look around and contemplate other possibilities, but I would say he's leaning pretty strongly for bringing back Boras at this point as OC.
The real question is how much did Fisher, our O-line and QB situations effect his play calling. Did we really see the real Boras?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

brees would be a godsend for the rams. like kurt was for the cards.

he would show everyone how to act like a pro. last season he got frustrated because all the younger athletic saints players, who replaced the older pros, wouldn't take football seriously enough for his liking. the rams are ready to take it serious and need a qb that can show them how to win consistently.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Add Brees thats what I been saying for a few weeks now. Then draft Tredwell BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishful thinking, I like it. Yet neither will happen. Treadwell will skyrocket like Julio Jones did. We have NO chance at #15.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to see Brees in horns. But like JT said, why would he want to come to a run first offense on a team that isn't even a playoff contender much less a superbowl contender? Plus, who does he have to throw to? Quick outs and jet sweeps with Tavon only get you so far. And there are a lot of quarterbacks who can hand the ball off to Gurley.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I'd love to see Brees in horns. But like JT said, why would he want to come to a run first offense on a team that isn't even a playoff contender much less a superbowl contender? Plus, who does he have to throw to? Quick outs and jet sweeps with Tavon only get you so far. And there are a lot of quarterbacks who can hand the ball off to Gurley.

He certainly hasn't had much team success the last few years throwing the ball over the field without any form of defense to back him up. If it's all about the yardage and passing stats, I'd agree. But, I'm not in his head to know that for sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is incorrect. Fitzpatrick wasn't a FA last year. Houston traded him to the Jets.

I would have worked out a deal with the Browns.