Rams' center has another knee operation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 6c058.html

nmIq9Q1.jpg

Rams center Scott Wells had knee surgery [hil]earlier this month[/hil], an arthroscopic procedure to repair torn cartilage.

Wells suffered the injury in his first practice back with the Rams after returning in November from foot surgery. Wells, a Pro Bowler a year ago as a Green Bay Packer, played through the pain in starting the Rams’ final six games of the regular season.

The Rams gave up only 1½ sacks in those six games, compared to 2.6 sacks allowed per game in their first 10 contests. The surgery was to the same knee (the right knee) that required surgery last spring during the Rams’ practice sessions. After recovering from that initial knee operation, Wells suffered a fractured foot in the season opener against Detroit, sidelining him for nine games.

“It’s been a frustrating year for me,” Wells said at the end of the season. “This is the first time I’ve had to deal with an injury that has limited my availability. I don’t think I’ve missed more than two games up to this point in my career due to injuries.

“So, a frustrating year for me with the knee, then the foot, then the knee. But I was able to push through the knee at the end and the foot’s fine. I look forward to an offseason to get healthy. It’s the same knee and [hil]it’s just years of abuse playing and it’s just kind of fouled up.”[/hil]

Neither Wells nor his agent, Brian Parker, could be reached to comment Friday regarding the latest knee surgery.

The Rams’ offseason conditioning program doesn’t begin until mid-April and the spring practice period doesn’t begin until May, so Wells should have plenty of time to rehab the knee.

Offensive line coach [hil]Paul Boudreau is optimistic that Wells’ second season with the Rams will go much easier than the first.[/hil]

“He’s established here now,” Boudreau said at the end of the regular season. “He’s got a house here. He’s not commuting back and forth. I think it’ll be an easier second year. Because in eight or nine years, he’s really never been hurt. [hil]He’s played with broken bones and stuff, but he’s never missed as much time as he’s missed this year.”[/hil]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams were far better with Wells at Center than when Turner played and that might because it gave the Rams the opportunity to have their best five offensive linemen on the field, but Wells did seem to make solid calls during games.

Now I doubt the Rams will be able to bring Turner back because I am sure someone will promise him a starting center job so I do think the Rams need to sign someone like Turner a center/guard combination and draft a center in the later rounds because I don't hold out much hope for Tim Barnes.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Need to find a replacement soon, for some reason Barrett Jones isn't a 1st rounder...so if he's there in the 2nd round, that would be great!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
den-the-coach said:
The Rams were far better with Wells at Center than when Turner played and that might because it gave the Rams the opportunity to have their best five offensive linemen on the field, but Wells did seem to make solid calls during games.

Now I doubt the Rams will be able to bring Turner back because I am sure someone will promise him a starting center job so I do think the Rams need to sign someone like Turner a center/guard combination and draft a center in the later rounds because I don't hold out much hope for Tim Barnes.
Yeah, they did play well when he returned. No doubt about it. Turner would be an awesome guy to keep around, but for reasons you just laid out, he might not. Regarding Barnes, I think my brain is broken. Every single time I see that name, I get the mental image of Elias in Platoon yelling that name.

"BARNES!"

5meSeLV.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
As long as he doesn't run off to get anymore kids, he'll be good to go when the season starts. He's obviously a bit of a stop-gap because of his age, but he can play still. Although I wouldn't mind getting a C with potential late (this year or next) to learn from him and eventually take over.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am of the mindset that Rams 2012 16 game starter @ center & OLG Robert Turner will be demanding a starting position & starters pay. Turner's best chance of starting & remaining a starter in the NFL would be @ Center. Rams already have our starting center Scott Wells. Rams paid big time for this ex 7th rd pick & IMO overpaid ...24 mil for 4 yrs with 13 mil guaranteed. Soured by having three surgeries in less than one yr twice on the same knee is NOT a positive sign here boys! I thought we paid that big money for a healthy ready to plug in pro bowl center for Sam for many seasons. Not what we got in 2012. Here we are again with a new 2013 surgery scope job & even more rehab after rehab time. However when you review & consider the rest of what I have to say on this matter I will conclude that I am sure glad we have Wells!

Am I off base here to seriously suggest that Snead & Fisher get a major action plan together just in case Wells falls into a even longer term pattern here? Yes it would be nice to have the luxury of a Turner back for a few yrs but not as a starter nor would I pay more than a million or a mil & a half a year for his services. The 29 yr old Turner is best as first reserve up for your three interior OL posts or in other-words your 7th OL'er on your roster. I consider it very doubtful that Turner will return as most Ram fans think. I'd write Turner off period.

Wells had help..... lots of help from Robert Turner when he (Wells) started his few games in 2012. Looks to me that other than Wells what Ram OL'er looks to be here as a Ram after the 2013 season?????.... :shock: ORG Harvey Dahl is slated to make 8 million this season & next think Demoff & Snead won't be looking at that Cap Money once they get into a tight cap $$ fix? Will they be able to afford to pay that? Questionable?

OK other than center Wells... Who is our starting ORT? Who is our starting OLG? Who is our top reserve 6th OL'er (Swing tackle) ? Who will be our 7th OL'er (top interior OL back up)? So much for continuity that is needed for good blocking working OL's. Pondering all of that thank goodness that Wells is signed & should be ready to be this new mgt's first OL fixture selection for the future Sam Bradford OL cause in reality they have not done anything else unless you want to include a last day draft pick who was IR'd after his first game Rok Watkins or released/wavier cut wire OL'ers like Shelley Smith, Ty Nsekhe & Brandon Washington. Back to that 7th OL'er vacancy caused by Turners departure...Smith ??could be once again our starting OLG or he could fill the current vacancy as the 7th OL'er since he has started @ both OLG & ORG for the Rams & does have a little bit of center experience in college where he was mostly a OLG. 2012 back up center was Tim Barnes who has been around on the very edges for the last two NFL seasons. Barnes was cut and resigned several times by the Rams in & out of the PS. Barnes finally made the Rams roster in September last season when Wells was IR'd. If the org. is considering Barnes long term another issues to overcome on him is he is a Exclusive Rights Free Agent not a real big issue.

Also being configured into all the above OL issues... Demoff, Snead & Fisher will have to be looking for cap money to purchase Rodger Saffold services after this season for the next half decade or more & that will bust most salary caps easy for what young talented OLT's usually get in the open market. Tying money up in free agents does get very costly & the draft must be considered heavy in fixing cheaply all these major holes in the OL. If it were me I would be looking hard @ draft prospects like a 6-4 340 pounder OC/OG Travis Fisher from Wis. with the 2nd or 3rd picks who could be your future starter @ any of the three interior OL post if Wells or either of the OG's go down.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... -frederick

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BonifayRam said:
I am of the mindset that Rams 2012 16 game starter @ center & OLG Robert Turner will be demanding a starting position & starters pay. Turner's best chance of starting & remaining a starter in the NFL would be @ Center. Rams already have our starting center Scott Wells. Rams paid big time for this ex 7th rd pick & IMO overpaid ...24 mil for 4 yrs with 13 mil guaranteed. Soured by having three surgeries in less than one yr twice on the same knee is NOT a positive sign here boys! I thought we paid that big money for a healthy ready to plug in pro bowl center for Sam for many seasons. Not what we got in 2012. Here we are again with a new 2013 surgery scope job & even more rehab after rehab time. However when you review & consider the rest of what I have to say on this matter I will conclude that I am sure glad we have Wells!

Am I off base here to seriously suggest that Snead & Fisher get a major action plan together just in case Wells falls into a even longer term pattern here? Yes it would be nice to have the luxury of a Turner back for a few yrs but not as a starter nor would I pay more than a million or a mil & a half a year for his services. The 29 yr old Turner is best as first reserve up for your three interior OL posts or in other-words your 7th OL'er on your roster. I consider it very doubtful that Turner will return as most Ram fans think. I'd write Turner off period.

Wells had help..... lots of help from Robert Turner when he (Wells) started his few games in 2012. Looks to me that other than Wells what Ram OL'er looks to be here as a Ram after the 2013 season?????.... :shock: ORG Harvey Dahl is slated to make 8 million this season & next think Demoff & Snead won't be looking at that Cap Money once they get into a tight cap $$ fix? Will they be able to afford to pay that? Questionable?

OK other than center Wells... Who is our starting ORT? Who is our starting OLG? Who is our top reserve 6th OL'er (Swing tackle) ? Who will be our 7th OL'er (top interior OL back up)? So much for continuity that is needed for good blocking working OL's. Pondering all of that thank goodness that Wells is signed & should be ready to be this new mgt's first OL fixture selection for the future Sam Bradford OL cause in reality they have not done anything else unless you want to include a last day draft pick who was IR'd after his first game Rok Watkins or released/wavier cut wire OL'ers like Shelley Smith, Ty Nsekhe & Brandon Washington. Back to that 7th OL'er vacancy caused by Turners departure...Smith ??could be once again our starting OLG or he could fill the current vacancy as the 7th OL'er since he has started @ both OLG & ORG for the Rams & does have a little bit of center experience in college where he was mostly a OLG. 2012 back up center was Tim Barnes who has been around on the very edges for the last two NFL seasons. Barnes was cut and resigned several times by the Rams in & out of the PS. Barnes finally made the Rams roster in September last season when Wells was IR'd. If the org. is considering Barnes long term another issues to overcome on him is he is a Exclusive Rights Free Agent not a real big issue.

Also being configured into all the above OL issues... Demoff, Snead & Fisher will have to be looking for cap money to purchase Rodger Saffold services after this season for the next half decade or more & that will bust most salary caps easy for what young talented OLT's usually get in the open market. Tying money up in free agents does get very costly & the draft must be considered heavy in fixing cheaply all these major holes in the OL. If it were me I would be looking hard @ draft prospects like a 6-4 340 pounder OC/OG Travis Fisher from Wis. with the 2nd or 3rd picks who could be your future starter @ any of the three interior OL post if Wells or either of the OG's go down.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... -frederick

Every offseason we seem to have "drama" along the line... this year no different. It would sure be nice to settle this down.

Wells was stout down the stretch.

Turner, while versatile, was just "okay" out there IMO. I don't see him getting lured away to be a starter, but I guess I could be wrong. As a backup, I'd like him back.

I'd be really stoked if Rok settled into a guard spot for the next 3 years of his contract and beyond.