Rams CB E.J. Gaines is finally ready to play again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- Players who miss significant time to injuries will often come away saying the recovery process went by much faster than they anticipated. Not E.J. Gaines, the Los Angeles Rams cornerback who missed the entire 2015 season recovering from foot surgery.

"It feels like five full years, honestly," Gaines said. "Not playing for a full year definitely took a toll on me."

Gaines is finally on his way back now, cleared for full-speed activity and getting ready to play in Saturday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs in the Los Angeles Coliseum. It'll mark Gaines' first game action since Dec. 21, 2014, the end of a solid rookie season that included 15 starts, a team-high 14 pass breakups and four takeaways as the Rams' second cornerback, opposite the recently departed Janoris Jenkins.

The 24-year-old suffered a severe Lisfranc injury -- when one or more metatarsal bones are displaced from the tarsus -- during the third training camp practice last year. Gaines had two surgeries -- one to insert screws in his foot and one to remove them. And he watched most of the Rams' games on TV, never quite knowing if he would regain his starting role.

"I expect myself to step up and play better than I did as a rookie," Gaines said. "Most definitely. No steps backwards. No excuses for surgery or foot injuries. Just keep it going from where I left off."

The Rams will need him to.

Jenkins, the leader of the secondary, is gone, having signed a five-year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants. Stalwart safety Rodney McLeod is gone too, via a five-year, $37 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles. Trumaine Johnson -- the man whose preseason knee injury paved the way for Gaines to start opposite Jenkins in 2014 -- has moved into the primary cornerback spot. And now Gaines is competing with the likes of Lamarcus Joyner, Coty Sensabaugh and Marcus Roberson for the No. 2 spot.

"E.J.'s got the starting experience," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "We've just got to get this foot thing behind him."

Gaines proclaims that it is. He spent a couple of weeks dealing with a hamstring issue, which prompted him to miss the preseason opener against the Cowboys, but that has since healed, too.

Now it's all about getting reacclimated to game speed.

"You can simulate it as much as you’d like in practice, but nothing is really like the game time," Gaines said. "That’s why Saturday’s going to be it. ... It took a long time. It’s been a long time coming to get back out here on the field, so I’m just excited."

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is the one guy I feel the Rams need to keep healthy because the two back up CB's Lamarcus Joyner and Coty Sensabaugh are slot CB's IMHO and I hope the Rams give Roberson and Troy Hill some more time on the island, however, if Gaines can play like he did back in 2014 along with Trumaine Johnson I will feel fine at corner back.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
62601880.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great news...It'll be interesting to watch how much EJ plays....
because the two back up CB's Lamarcus Joyner and Coty Sensabaugh are slot CB's IMHO and I hope the Rams give Roberson and Troy Hill some more time on the island
I agree....But for some reason, I think they'll play Sensabaugh on the outside, and move EJ to the slot in passing situations...I just got this feeling...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great news...It'll be interesting to watch how much EJ plays....
I agree....But for some reason, I think they'll play Sensabaugh on the outside, and move EJ to the slot in passing situations...I just got this feeling...

I don't think so under Williams in Tennessee Sensabaugh thrived in the slot, he struggled last season when he worked on the outside and for that reason IMO, they will keep Gaines on the outside.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is the one guy I feel the Rams need to keep healthy because the two back up CB's Lamarcus Joyner and Coty Sensabaugh are slot CB's IMHO and I hope the Rams give Roberson and Troy Hill some more time on the island, however, if Gaines can play like he did back in 2014 along with Trumaine Johnson I will feel fine at corner back.
Agree. We need both EJ and TJ healthy all year. Hopefully it's not too much to expect from players that have both missed time last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think so under Williams in Tennessee Sensabaugh thrived in the slot, he struggled last season when he worked on the outside and for that reason IMO, they will keep Gaines on the outside.
Agree wit this. Coty best DB post is the slot but his 5-11 height is a need in this secondary real bad. Gregg has four CB's who stand under 5-10. Trumaine Johnson is the only corner who stands over 6 ft tall. Sure to come in handy in his contract demands over the next 6 months before Johnson enters UFA'cy. EJ Gaines return to 2014 season form is a SERIOUS need here.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trumaine Johnson is the only corner who stands over 6 ft tall.

Very True Roberson is listed right at 6 foot, next year I predict the first pick for the Rams which will be in the 2nd round will be Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Gaines, if healthy, will be the outside CB opposite TruJo, hands down.

I also think that den is right in assessing Joyner and Sensabaugh as slot CB's.

Hopefully, Roberson and one of Hill, Washington, and Jordan can be our backups at outside CB. I think they can.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- Players who miss significant time to injuries will often come away saying the recovery process went by much faster than they anticipated. Not E.J. Gaines, the Los Angeles Rams cornerback who missed the entire 2015 season recovering from foot surgery.

"It feels like five full years, honestly," Gaines said. "Not playing for a full year definitely took a toll on me."

Gaines is finally on his way back now, cleared for full-speed activity and getting ready to play in Saturday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs in the Los Angeles Coliseum. It'll mark Gaines' first game action since Dec. 21, 2014, the end of a solid rookie season that included 15 starts, a team-high 14 pass breakups and four takeaways as the Rams' second cornerback, opposite the recently departed Janoris Jenkins.

The 24-year-old suffered a severe Lisfranc injury -- when one or more metatarsal bones are displaced from the tarsus -- during the third training camp practice last year. Gaines had two surgeries -- one to insert screws in his foot and one to remove them. And he watched most of the Rams' games on TV, never quite knowing if he would regain his starting role.

"I expect myself to step up and play better than I did as a rookie," Gaines said. "Most definitely. No steps backwards. No excuses for surgery or foot injuries. Just keep it going from where I left off."

The Rams will need him to.

Jenkins, the leader of the secondary, is gone, having signed a five-year, $62.5 million contract with the New York Giants. Stalwart safety Rodney McLeod is gone too, via a five-year, $37 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles. Trumaine Johnson -- the man whose preseason knee injury paved the way for Gaines to start opposite Jenkins in 2014 -- has moved into the primary cornerback spot. And now Gaines is competing with the likes of Lamarcus Joyner, Coty Sensabaugh and Marcus Roberson for the No. 2 spot.

"E.J.'s got the starting experience," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "We've just got to get this foot thing behind him."

Gaines proclaims that it is. He spent a couple of weeks dealing with a hamstring issue, which prompted him to miss the preseason opener against the Cowboys, but that has since healed, too.

Now it's all about getting reacclimated to game speed.

"You can simulate it as much as you’d like in practice, but nothing is really like the game time," Gaines said. "That’s why Saturday’s going to be it. ... It took a long time. It’s been a long time coming to get back out here on the field, so I’m just excited."
I hope he's back at 1000%!!(y);):D

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Gaines' health is an important factor. Most Guys always say they are fine when asked so it will be nice to see him demonstrate it on the field. I think the Rams will keep their usual 10 DBs but I think they will go corner heavy this year keeping 6 CBs and only four safeties. In the perfect world A healthy Gaines will start opposite Tru on the outside with Joyner and Coty playing more in the slot. The other two CBs will be Roberson and one of the rookie UDFAs or Hill. Right now I think Hill has positioned himself well to push for the final DB roster spot.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Very True Roberson is listed right at 6 foot, next year I predict the first pick for the Rams which will be in the 2nd round will be Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee!
I was hoping that the Rams would have been able to draft a CB like Sutton this past draft in the 2nd rd.

Yep Roberson is a hair under 6ft & will be a UFA in 6 months. Don't sell Roberson short either because he is a well known poor practice player & usually never looks all that good in TC & pre season but when the game counts he does show up & is a good 3rd outside Corner in the NFL.

Could be some of the reason why the Rams replaced a 5-10 deep safety with one this season that is a hair under 6-3 tall;)!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gaines is critical to this defense. Without him we are only two CBs deep, and Joyner is iffy outside the slot. Without him this is a middle of the pack defense at best in pass defense, even with a full return by Quinn. Absolutely critical that this guy rebounds and has a great and healthy season.

CB depth is my biggest worry right now with this roster. I like Roberson and Hill, but after that top three on the depth chart the dropoff is going to be significant.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Gaines is critical to this defense. Without him we are only two CBs deep, and Joyner is iffy outside the slot. Without him this is a middle of the pack defense at best in pass defense, even with a full return by Quinn. Absolutely critical that this guy rebounds and has a great and healthy season. CB depth is my biggest worry right now with this roster. I like Roberson and Hill, but after that top three on the depth chart the dropoff is going to be significant.

From the begining of last season to this point in time.....the Rams secondary has only one remaining DB in his original post...being Trumaine Johnson. So with 3 different DB's starting in new positions might cause some concern & nervousness. I do not think we will have any eventual ongoing issues with our four safeties this season.

As you pointed out its the corners that just has the worries. In truth when you break it down we are well set @ the Nickle & Dime positions where I believe Lamarcus Joyner & Coty Sensabaugh will hold down without much issue. Its that other starting corner where my eyes keep turning too. This is where EJ Gaines, Marcus Roberson, Troy Hill & Jabriel Washington can compete for.