Rams CB David Long Jr. On His Big Game vs. Bears & Evolution Of The Rams’ Defense | Rams Revealed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll pass on the David long Jr. Kool-Aid overfilled pitcher.....sorry I'm not ready to drink from it yet.

A "BIG" game :eyeroll:......My eyes told me something else.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not sold on Long yet either but it was nice to see him out there making plays. Re: that first INT if Young had not tipped it I think Williams gets the pick (from the other angle it looks like the ball was heading his way). But overall Long was not a liability out there. He did his job and I am a bit relieved because it was a concern given that we haven't seen anything from him really. I mean they worked him in last season at times but this is the first game where he showed us something.

For right now at least it looks like we have a couple good young corners in him and Rochell. Definitely on par with the best groups in the league in terms of comparing them straight up vs CB3s and 4s.

Oh and also JB does a great interview.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not sold on Long yet either but it was nice to see him out there making plays. Re: that first INT if Young had not tipped it I think Williams gets the pick (from the other angle it looks like the ball was heading his way). But overall Long was not a liability out there. He did his job and I am a bit relieved because it was a concern given that we haven't seen anything from him really. I mean they worked him in last season at times but this is the first game where he showed us something.

For right now at least it looks like we have a couple good young corners in him and Rochell. Definitely on par with the best groups in the league in terms of comparing them straight up vs CB3s and 4s.
I posted a bit on this yesterday that I do see skills that might make him a very good Nickel by the end of this season. He does stay close when playing on the outside but even when he is close it usually ends up as a completion. D-long did play his best game as a Ram last Sunday.

I believe QB's will be looking for Outside corner #22 D-Long....who will be a :bullseye:target from this point on.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
On the Int it appeared that he was out of position
How so? It looked like had the guy on the sideline covered, came off on the throw and happened to be in the right place to make a play on the ball.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Long was okay. Some good plays, some not so good players. He is young and it was his first game starting, I believe, so I do anticipate improvement as the season progresses. Especially with this coaching staff. All that to say, I think Long is a passable #3 or #4 CB (not sure who between him and Rochelle will end up being #3 vs. #4), and by season's end, I am cautiously optimistic that he will move from "passable" to "contributor" in his depth role. What we really need is for Ramsey and Williams to stay healthy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How so? It looked like had the guy on the sideline covered, came off on the throw and happened to be in the right place to make a play on the ball.
I didn’t think he had his man covered closely. On a corner fade he’d have to blanket the guy. It looked like he was trailing a bit before turning and playing the tip.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Long got totally abused on a big first-down completion in the first half-- had bad coverage, missed the tackle, and threw in a (declined) penalty to boot. And he seemed to be soft in coverage on a few plays.

However-- he was generally a sure tackler, and stopped people short of the marker a few times. And of course the big INT.

All in all I thought he had a mixed day of more good plays than bad, which was a relief given the concern about him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Man, you'd think Long lost the Rams the game with an awful play the way some here are quick to criticise him.

With Ramsey moving around everywhere there was more responsibility for long in his first start as a starter. Give him a break. He's not gonna be an all pro from the get go.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I was looking at Long the same way I was looking at Brian Allen, so it was a nice surprise to me. Especially since Burgess isn't meeting the lofty expectations we had. Long made some plays and showed some intensity and agression.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Man, you'd think Long lost the Rams the game with an awful play the way some here are quick to criticise him.

With Ramsey moving around everywhere there was more responsibility for long in his first start as a starter. Give him a break. He's not gonna be an all pro from the get go.

Since when does winning mean we can’t be critical of a particular players performance?

I recall Goff and Blythe getting lots of criticism even after wins.

The video seems like a lot of hoopla over an average game. Nobody is rooting for Long to fail.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The fact is teams are going to be picking on Long based on the fact, that Ramsey and Williams are on the outside. That means he is going to have a ton of opportunies to make plays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
David Long played fine, I just believe Robert Rochel is better and IMO, should be on the field over the Michigan Alum.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I posted a bit on this yesterday that I do see skills that might make him a very good Nickel by the end of this season. He does stay close when playing on the outside but even when he is close it usually ends up as a completion. D-long did play his best game as a Ram last Sunday.
I believe QB's will be looking for Outside corner #22 D-Long....who will be a :bullseye:target from this point on.
Dude is still only 23 & has a lot of upside.I don’t know if your right or not either way.What I will say is he wants to get stronger.He needs to be more physical,but just like this Jalen RAMsey interview yesterday,The Rams are able to put him into favorable situations.That also means other CB’s have to move around.
Scooter( RR) got a pick as well,so The Rams gave depth as well.DD21 is actually not a bad CB that feels comfortable on an island.I saw him take ice in training camp when DWilliams went down with an ankle.He has the respect of his teammates & coaches.
It’s a team game & The Rams are 1-0.I’m sure we will all have more go on as the season grows.I took a picture off the TV & it was David Long getting to a pass early.I was with a group of Football Fans that said he was early & I at first said it was a good play from a glance.When you see the replay it’s hard to see how the referee missed that call.
My friend is a Bears fan & he was down on them for the loss.He (bears fans) are saying F” Andy Dalton!! Put in Fields & roll with the future & he gives them the best chance to win.I was worried at times, & don’t think they are that bad.The game was a lot closer than it seems.Going in at half I thought The Rams were a little lucky?
The game should,not be this close.Then to start the 2nd half another long drive & the running game kicked in.
The Rams defense sort of played well & David Long was out when RR made his INT.I agree the jury is still out.This game against the Colts will be a true test.If The Rams loss to Carson Wentz I’ll go repost that on that Carson is a bust post.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
David Long played fine, I just believe Robert Rochel is better and IMO, should be on the field over the Michigan Alum.
In time it might play out that way.His interview on knowing & thinking about the game was interesting.His mind set is in graved more than I would like from his answers.
I like they way Scooter looks as a CB even more than D.Williams in a way.If you look at #22 & #31 from last season, I see #31 looking more natural than the others from just a true CB positioning & that first 5 - 10 yard zone/man drop nothing else.Eyes on QB.