Rams Case Keenum happy with the vote of confidence – even if just for now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Man

Rookie
I think Keenum is capable of having success if the Rams field a good group of players on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, that's not what we had last year and probably won't be what we will have this coming season either. Given the very difficult overall situation, Keenum played well. He was mobile enough to avoid sacks, made good (conservative) decisions and got rid of the ball pretty quickly. Things could have gone a lot worse if we had a different type of back up quarterback in there. Again, look at the offense:

WR The Rams group of wide receivers was among the worst groups in the league. We all love Austin for his big play ability. However, he caught like 3 balls a game last year. We need to add a couple of guys on the outside who will perform and catch a higher volume of passes. There was nobody who could get open and make the tough catch last year.

OL It's a fact that the offensive line was BAD overall last year. I would say the group performed poorly enough to be ranked in the bottom 4 or 5 in the league. Seems like most fans EXPECT the young O-line to play well this season after gaining some experience and returning from injuries. I hope that's the case tell but I'm not sold on that yet.

TE Tight end is a real problem. Tough to draft a TE who can help right away. If they do draft one good enough to help right away, that'll mean they aren't drafting a QB high. Few of the free agent tight ends are good fits for the Rams run first offense or put up good production last year.

RB Gurley is special running the ball. As a group running backs contributed less than would be expected in catching balls out of the backfield. In total Rams running backs probably caught around 50 balls last year. Unacceptable. I expect they will add a pass catching running back in the draft.

Although I don't believe Keenum will be on the team by the time the regular season starts, I do think he should be their starter in September. There are no new alternative options that don't have serious downsides. Any QB the Rams will draft will need to sit for a bit to learn and develop. Goff may be able to start and perform well immediately, but he'll be gone well before the Rams draft. The free agent QB's that are available all have significant problems and will be much more expensive than Keenum. Osweiler isn't going anywhere and will get paid a ton. Fitz is old and had a career year with decent offensive talent around him. He is in a position to command a contract that the Rams would regret signing. Kaepernick and RGIII were franchise quarterbacks given lots of reps and instruction. They had decent offensive talent around them. They had every opportunity to develop even when they struggled. Although Keenum is nothing special he is clearly developing a command of the passing game and good decision making skills. With time and practice reps he'll improve. Kap and RGIII have had enough time to show us who they are. Their limitations have nothing to do with their physical gifts, which are already starting to diminish.

Keenum should be viewed as a bridge to the 2017 season. That season is when we'll have a long term solution to the team's quarterback problems playing for us.