Rams Case Keenum happy with the vote of confidence – even if just for now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016...-the-vote-of-confidence-even-if-just-for-now/

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptmwote0yzu4ogmxzjhknza4mje3ztjjzgqzyjgynwjm-e1448228337355.jpeg

MANHATTAN BEACH – On the day Rams tried to provide as many answers as possible to their players about the relocation process from St. Louis to Los Angeles, one of the biggest questions of all stood quietly in a corner of a Manhattan Beach hotel ballroom Friday.

Only this one had very little to do with housing options or training camp sites or where the Rams will eventually set up headquarters.

There will be clarification on all of those matters in the coming months, much to the delight of the Rams wife and girlfriends who sent their significant others to L.A. armed with a litany of questions that need addressing.

“A lot of what we talked to about today were questions on behalf of our wives and girlfriends,” said Rams middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, who might already be in line to win the NFL’s Smartest Man of the Year award.

After all, a happy wife is a happy life.

“We just want to know where we’re playing football,” Ogletree said, laughing. “The wives and girlfriends wanted answers to all the other important stuff.”

All in due time.

Case Keenum, on the other hand, represents a conundrum of a completely different sort. And his ability to provide clarity might determine how decisively the Rams step back into their former Southern California home.

Keenum is the Rams starting quarterback, although that distinction comes with an important qualifier: For now.

If training camp were to start tomorrow, Keenum would get first team reps. The spot on the depth chart is somewhat earned – Keenum having stabilized the position by finishing last season 3-1 – but is mostly bestowed thanks to the nosedive previous starter Nick Foles took over the first 12 games before being replaced.

Keenum taking over coincided with tight ends coach Rob Boras being named the offensive coordinator to replace the fired Frank Cignetti Jr. The offense became a little less predictable and considerably more versatile. Points went up, the Rams won three out of their last four games and Keenum completed 76 of 125 passes for 828 yards and four touchdowns against just one interception.

“We put together some momentum,” he said.

And it earned him the role of de facto starter.

But with the calendar having just turned to March and training camp still four months away and the Rams not exactly acting shy about the possibility of adding a quarterback or two, who knows how much longer “for now” lasts.

The Rams have the 15th pick in next April’s draft, which could put them in line add Memphis gunslinger Paxton Lynch. And with a pair of picks in the second round at No. 43 and 45 they could look to Michigan State’s Connor Cook.

Meanwhile, free agency opens next week and the Rams have been linked to everyone from Peyton Manning to Brock Osweiler to Robert Griffin III.

Point is, Keenum isn’t taking anything for granted. Especially after spending most of last week hearing about all the possible replacements the Rams were scouting at the NFL combine.

“Everybody asks about the combine, and that’s (300) or so employees trying to come take our jobs, especially the quarterback position. It’s tough,” Keenum said. “As a reporter or a journalist, it’s probably the same. There’s probably 14 or 15 people lined up ready to take your job if you’re not producing. So that’s the way I I approach my work and my job.”

Nevertheless, Keenum finds at least a little comfort in the Rams having his back to this extent. Having bounced around from Houston to the Rams as an un-drafted prospect in 2012 and started a total of 15 games over his first four seasons, even the slightest bit of confidence expressed by his bosses goes a long way.

“It’s the first time that I’ve had a coach believe in me through the offseason like this,” Keenum said. “So, I’m excited about the position that I’m in and the position the team is in. I think we’re poised to make that next step and be a playoff contender.” Hopefully, with him leading the way.

“We’ve had some great meetings,” Keenum said about the feedback he’s gotten from Rams head coach Jeff Fisher. “And we obviously finished the year with some good momentum, I think we had some good continuity.. The way I’m treating it is the way I’ve always treated every offseason that I’ve been a part of and I’m going to treat it like I’m the starter. That’s my mindset, I’m going to get ready to play.

“The nice thing now is I have some confidence, the coach is saying some nice things ands I think we believe in the same things. I’m going to continue to believe in myself and my teammates. And I’m going to continue to compete. I know that in this league, that’s what the whole league is about. It’s about competition.”

It’s something Keenum knows all too well. And he’s bracing for more of the same over the next few months. He’s the Rams starting quarterback, but it’s no secret they are intent on adding a quarterback or two to the roster by training camp.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I wouldn't mind going into the season with Keenum. I don't think we know what kind of QB he is yet. Matt Hasselbeck didn't have a very strong arm either.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Can't hurt to give Keenum a vote of confidence in March. I'm pulling for the guy and hope he pushes who ever the team decides to bring in. I can't believe that Foles will be in the competition to start. Mannion is the wildcard in the mix. However the Draft goes down will show how much they value Mannion.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm OK with Keenum being the guy going into this year.. but I still don't know if he's the long term solution.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
L.A. Rams' Case Keenum has the mind-set of a starting quarterback
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-la-rams-case-keenum-20160304-story.html

750x422

The Los Angeles Rams' head coach sat behind the middle of the table, a Pro Bowldefensive tackle to his right and a Pro Bowl punter to his left.

As reporters, photographers and television camera operators surrounded Jeff Fisher, Aaron Donald and Johnny Hekker on Friday after a team meeting at a Manhattan Beach hotel, Case Keenum stood off to the side.

It marked perhaps the final time that Keenum, the presumptive starting quarterback heading into off-season workouts, would not be the focus of attention as the Rams prepare for their first season in Southern California in more than two decades.

"I'm looking forward to moving to L.A.," Keenum told reporters, adding, "I'm ready for the city and just for the experience to blow me away."

Keenum, 28, will try to hold on to a job that has potential to become the most high-profile position in a celebrity-studded Los Angeles sports environment. Keenum is entering his fifth pro season after supplanting Nick Foles as the Rams' starter late last season.
eqf5dsj.jpg

Fisher has said that Keenum was the starter but that Foles and second-year pro Sean Mannion would have an opportunity to compete for the job. He also said that the Rams could add as many as two quarterbacks before training camp.

The Rams have the 15th pick in the April draft. NFL veterans Robert Griffin III and Peyton Manning have been mentioned in reports as quarterbacks the Rams could pursue.

Keenum does not sound too concerned. He said he would treat the off-season as he did when he played at Abilene (Texas) Wylie High ... as he did when he was a record-setting passer at the University of Houston ... as he did after signing with the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent.

"I'm going to treat it like I'm the starter," he said. "That's my mind-set… The nice thing now is that I've got some confidence, and some coaches saying some things and they're believing the same thing, so I'm going to believe in myself."

In six games last season, Keenum completed 61% of his passes, four for touchdowns, with one interception. The Rams went 3-2 in his five starts.

"I'm excited about the position I'm in and the position the team is in," he said. "I think we're poised to make that next step and be a playoff contender."

The Rams have a way to go. They were 7-9 last season, the fourth time in four seasons under Fisher that they finished below .500. The Rams featured star rookie running back Todd Gurley but ranked last in passing offense.

"I'm tired of hearing that the Rams were 32nd in passing, to be honest," Keenum said, adding, "Literally, the only way is up."

General Manager Les Snead has said that he has confidence in Keenum, an unrestricted free agent who Snead said would be re-signed. There was no pressure to bring in a big-name quarterback to appease the celebrity-driven L.A. market, Snead said.

"Not only in the NFL but in most team sports, I don't think you sell anything — I think you earn everything," Snead said. "We'll earn, if you want to call it fan appreciation, by going out and being competitive and winning games.

"It's never been a philosophy to go, 'Hey, let's sell an individual.' Because it's 11 on offense, 11 on defense, 11 on special teams. You've got to work together."

Keenum said he was prepared to compete if the Rams bring in other quarterbacks.

"I [had] one scholarship offer out of high school," he said. "Out of college I was undrafted. Nothing's been handed to me. I've worked extremely hard for anything that's come my way, so I know that I'm going to have to work extremely hard for anything that comes forward from this."

Much of the discussion during the team meeting dealt with logistics of the Rams' relocation to Los Angeles. Keenum does not expect his bid to open the season as the starter to be thrown off by the move.

"You can look at it as problems and you can look at it as opportunities," he said. "I'm just a kid from West Texas who grew up in a small town. Went to Houston, a little bit bigger city. But I mean this is L.A. … there's a lot of opportunity here."

Notes

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson has signed a one-year franchise tender, Fisher said. Johnson will earn nearly $14 million for the 2016 season if he and the Rams do not agree to a longer-term deal by the July 15 deadline. Johnson and fellow free-agent cornerbackJanoris Jenkins were among players who did not attend the voluntary meeting…. The Rams are scheduled to begin their off-season program April 18. They will conduct off-season workouts in Oxnard, and remain on track to hold training camp at UC Irvine and in-season workouts in the Thousand Oaks area.

Follow Gary Klein on Twitter @LATimesKlein

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'm OK with CK for next year, I'm not in a hurry to draft a guy that probably won't be better than him.

The throw in this vid was one the money. Good job with the vids @- X - and thanks for sharing.

Reading this kind of won me over.

"I [had] one scholarship offer out of high school," he said. "Out of college I was undrafted. Nothing's been handed to me. I've worked extremely hard for anything that's come my way, so I know that I'm going to have to work extremely hard for anything that comes forward from this."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I really do like Case, and always tend to root for the underdogs which he certainly is. But he's not out of the woods yet. If they chase Oz for example (which I doubt but since I can never predict Fish/Snead it's possible) and sign him will he be thrown into a QB competition? The QB room could look drastically different with a combo of moves like that, trading Foles, and then drafting a QB.

Either way I'm pulling for Case. But I'm not sold on him and primarily my concern right now revolves around that last game vs the 9ers. That performance really shook my confidence in him... Only putting up 16 on them is just not what we need at the position.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I have to say, Keenum's deep ball is fucking fantastic.

fearsomefour

Legend

Great quote. There are guys like this....talented guys who are great athletes, but, they just don't check all the boxes. They are 6', not 6' 4". They have good arm strength, not great. They are really good athletes but not elite sprinters. So, they are always undervalued. The power in guys like this is they can overcome....because they have always needed to. Warner and Brady are two extreme examples of guys not being valued and proved to be HOF players.
Davis is a guy similar to Keenum, less polished I guess. It is hard to not vote for guys like this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm OK with Keenum being the guy going into this year.. but I still don't know if he's the long term solution.

I don't understand this at all. He started five games in 2015. Here are the records of the teams he started against, the offensive scoring output, and the outcome of the game:
5-11 - 13 points - Loss
7-9 - 14 points - Win
6-10 - 31 points - Win
10-6 - 16 points - Win
5-11 - 16 points - Loss

I'm not sure how anyone looks at that and is okay with him being the starter. Four out of his five starts came against teams with losing records and yet the Rams offense only scored 20+ points one time. Worst of all, in our big win vs. a playoff team (Seattle), Keenum passed for only 103 yards.

I don't know how anyone could be okay with him being the guy going into next year unless you're okay with another mediocre season. Case Keenum is a backup. If your starter gets hurt, he manages the game well enough so that he won't cost your team wins. That's what he is.

If we want to be a playoff team next year, we need a REAL starting QB.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't understand this at all. He started five games in 2015. Here are the records of the teams he started against, the offensive scoring output, and the outcome of the game:
5-11 - 13 points - Loss
7-9 - 14 points - Win
6-10 - 31 points - Win
10-6 - 16 points - Win
5-11 - 16 points - Loss

I'm not sure how anyone looks at that and is okay with him being the starter. Four out of his five starts came against teams with losing records and yet the Rams offense only scored 20+ points one time. Worst of all, in our big win vs. a playoff team (Seattle), Keenum passed for only 103 yards.

I don't know how anyone could be okay with him being the guy going into next year unless you're okay with another mediocre season. Case Keenum is a backup. If your starter gets hurt, he manages the game well enough so that he won't cost your team wins. That's what he is.

Not quite what I meant but ok.

If the top 2 QB's are off the board and all that remains is Lynch, Prescott, etc - I'd rather have Keenum start. Unless you want to throw somebody out there who isn't ready..

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
5-11 - 13 points - Loss
7-9 - 14 points - Win
6-10 - 31 points - Win
10-6 - 16 points - Win
5-11 - 16 points - Loss

Eerily similar to the wins Bradford got, and you defended him quite fervently.
Nothing has really changed on the O-line (experience/chemistry) and wide receiver (difference maker) front since Bradford left, wouldn't you agree?

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I don't like any of the QB's we already have on the team

I don't like any of the QB's in FA

I don't like any of the QB's in this years draft

1401537538732057519.gif

Just move along