Rams-Cardinals: Matchup breakdown + WTWF/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
W2W4: St. Louis Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14500/w2w4-st-louis-rams-18

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams and the Arizona Cardinals kick off Week 15 on Thursday at the Edward Jones Dome. Kickoff is set for 8:25 p.m. ET on NFL Network.

Here are three things to watch from the Rams' perspective:

1. Sacking Stanton: Arizona quarterback Drew Stanton has had his ups and downs since taking over for Carson Palmer, but all told he's 4-3 as the starter. Still, Stanton's home/road splits are pretty glaring and he's entering an extremely difficult situation against a Rams' pass rush that is every bit as ferocious right now as it was expected to be at the beginning of the season. The Rams have 34 sacks since Week 7, most in the league in that time and have seen their rank in total sacks go from last in the league to tied for seventh in that time. Making matters more complicated for Arizona is the fact Jonathan Cooper is still settling in as the starter at left guard with right guard Paul Fanaika and left tackle Jared Veldheer battling ankle injuries. Stanton is 3-0 with an 80.7 QBR at home but those numbers fall to 1-3 with a 34.2 QBR when the Cardinals travel.

2. Big-play chances: Quarterback isn't the only position with a new look for the Cardinals since the Rams last played them. Arizona is dealing with even more injury issues in the secondary, having since lost Tyrann Mathieu to a thumb injury and cornerback Antonio Cromartie now dealing with an ankle issue. Mathieu is out for Thursday night and Cromartie's situation is more unclear, but either way, it could open some opportunities for the Rams to make some big plays in the passing game. That's been something quarterback Shaun Hill has done pretty well since he's been starting. For the season, Hill is 13-of-27 on passes traveling at least 15 yards in the air for 369 yards, two touchdowns and one interceptions for a QBR of 98.3. Those big plays have often gone to receiver Kenny Britt in recent weeks, but tight end Jared Cook and receiver Stedman Bailey have also been in on the action. Arizona's secondary had a big day against the Rams in the first meeting but with Hill under center, St. Louis should be better equipped to take care of the ball and make some plays in the passing game.

3. Stick to the formula: Speaking of taking care of the ball, I see no reason to change what's working for the Rams in recent weeks. The formula isn't hard to figure out. Don't turn the ball over, take the ball away and you are in great position to win. The Rams didn't have any turnovers in Washington last week and improved to 4-0 on the season when they don't give it away. That's not a coincidence. The defense, meanwhile, continues to come up with takeaways. Turnovers made the difference in the first meeting between these teams and ultimately landed Austin Davis a spot on the bench. If Hill can eliminate those mistakes, the Rams will be well positioned to get the win.

========

Rams-Cardinals: Matchup breakdown
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14503/rams-cardinals-matchup-breakdown-2

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look at three individual matchups to keep an eye on when the St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals meet at 8:25 p.m. ET on Thursday.

Rams defensive tackle Michael Brockers vs. Cardinals left guard Ted Larsen/Jonathan Cooper

The Cardinals are banged up on the offensive line with Fanaika dealing with an ankle sprain since Week 13 and far from a certainty to play this week. If Fanaika is out, the normal left guard Ted Larsen will replace him on the right side forcing Cooper into the lineup. In fact, it's probably a better bet that Cooper will make his second consecutive start. Cooper was the highly-touted guard prospect from North Carolina in 2013 who missed the season with a knee injury and has still be working his way to the starting lineup. Against Kansas City last week, Arizona coach Bruce Arians said Cooper was 'OK' but mentioned that he'd been pushed backwards about 10 times.

In Brockers, Cooper (or Larsen) would be drawing the most favorable matchup of any of the Cardinals offensive linemen. That's not to say Brockers is a pushover so much as it's better than having to deal with the likes of Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald. But Brockers has played much better in recent weeks, particularly against the run and he's a big, powerful sort who could give the athletic but smaller Cooper some issues. The Cardinals are going to have their hands full upfront but their line has been much improved in 2014. Brockers versus Fanaika or Cooper isn't the draw of other matchups upfront but it could be an important one in determining the outcome.

Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines vs. Cardinals receiver John Brown

The Rams defense is playing so well right now that it seems the only way to really beat them is to get a big play. Well, few players in the league have a knack for the big play like Brown. The Rams found that out first hand in the first meeting between the teams when Brown made a spectacular diving catch for a 48-yard touchdown that was ultimately the game winner. Brown has made a habit of those big plays in his rookie season though his production has tailed off a bit since that big catch against St. Louis.

The Rams, meanwhile, are getting much better production out of their secondary lately in part because they're finally healthy. With Trumaine Johnson back, the Rams have been using Gaines as the starter at left cornerback but kicking him inside in the nickel. That's where Gaines could see plenty of Brown this time around. Brown beat safety Rodney McLeod for the touchdown in Arizona but Gaines is a reliable cover type who hasn't allowed many big plays this year.

It's unlikely the Rams can continue to pitch shutouts but if they want another one, they'll need Gaines to be on point against Brown.

Rams tight end Jared Cook vs. Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon

I wanted to avoid repeats from the first matchup here but I'm making an exception for this one considering Cook's success against the Cardinals in that meeting. Cook had two catches for 84 yards and a touchdown in that game and Arizona continues to struggle to cover tight ends consistently.

Even before that, Cook had a big game in the 2013 season opener when he torched Arizona to the tune of seven catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns. He would have had three scores if not for an amazing play by Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu to force a fumble just before Cook crossed the goal line. Regardless, Arizona was one of the worst teams in the league last year defending tight ends which led directly to the selection of Bucannon.

Bucannon has been used primarily in the nickel and dime for the Cardinals but has flashed the potential to help in a variety of ways. He had his first career fumble recovery in Week 8 against Philadelphia and has 39 tackles and two passes defended so far in his rookie season. With Mathieu out because of a thumb injury and cornerback Antonio Cromartie battling an ankle issue, the Cardinals figure to have some question marks in the secondary. That could mean any plans to help slow Cook might have to be altered to help elsewhere.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As long as Fisher can keep these younglings focused beyond the consecutive shutouts and 2 game winning streak stuff...the Rams will come out with a Win.
I have a feeling we're gonna need some offense this week, and Hill is going to have to make some plays.

desertdawg

UDFA
As long as Fisher can keep these younglings focused beyond the consecutive shutouts and 2 game winning streak stuff...the Rams will come out with a Win.
I have a feeling we're gonna need some offense this week, and Hill is going to have to make some plays.
Yeah both teams couldn't do much in the second half last time. The Rams early lead almost held, I hope we start off better this time.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

I have a feeling this will be a big time blowout. Like the last time we played them on Thursday night

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have a feeling this will be a big time blowout. Like the last time we played them on Thursday night

If it wasn't for my respect for Arians I would expect the Rams defense to stomp a mudhole in the AZ offense. The DL to OL matchup alone looks great in our favor with the injuries to the Arizona OL. The CB injuries are nearly as bad for the Cards too. So yeah I'd be thinking it might be a one-sided victory for the Rams. But Arians is that good.

So I'm confident we're gonna see a big win for the Rams in this game. I think they're ready to take that step with the defense playing the way they are. But nothing would surprise me in this one. Just don't give away stupid turnovers, that's all I ask.