Rams-Cardinals: Matchup breakdown/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams-Cardinals: Matchup breakdown
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13374/rams-cardinals-matchup-breakdown

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A look at three individual matchups to keep an eye on when the St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals meet at 4:05 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Rams tight end Jared Cook vs. Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon

One of the reasons the Cardinals prioritized safety in May's NFL draft was the performance of tight ends against them in 2013. Cook set the tone for that in the 2013 season opener when he torched Arizona to the tune of seven catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns. He would have had three scores if not for an amazing play by Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu to force a fumble just before Cook crossed the goal line. Regardless, Arizona was one of the worst teams in the league last year defending tight ends which led directly to the selection of Bucannon.

Bucannon has been used primarily in the nickel and dime for the Cardinals but has flashed the potential to help in a variety of ways. He had his first career fumble recovery in Week 8 against Philadelphia and has 39 tackles and two passes defended so far in his rookie season.

Rams defensive end Robert Quinn vs. Cardinals left tackle Jared Veldheer

I know, I know, using Quinn here gets old and repetitive. I did my best to take some time off but with Quinn now rolling (he's posted five sacks in the past three weeks) and Veldheer on the other side, this one has to be mentioned. Much like with Bucannon and tight ends, the Cardinals needed to plug some leaky holes on their offensive line, particularly out on the edge. Quinn made some big plays that essentially stole a win for the Rams in the season opener last year and the Cardinals needed a solution to help against not only Quinn but the rest of the top pass rushers in the NFC West.

Arizona's offensive line has improved in pass protection with the addition of Veldheer and left guard Ted Larsen, giving up just 13 sacks so far this season. That's tied for the sixth fewest sacks allowed in the NFL. Veldheer has only allowed one sack, three quarterback hits and 11 quarterback hurries but Quinn figures to be his toughest test yet.

Rams center Scott Wells vs. Cardinals nose tackle Dan Williams

There's nothing that will jump off the page when looking at this matchup but Williams has quietly been the driving force in the middle of Arizona's dominant defense. Now in his fifth year in the league, Williams has emerged as the run-stuffer in the middle of the line that Arizona hoped it had when it used a first-round pick on him in 2010.

Williams has just 12 tackles and one sack this year but his value can't really be quantified in numbers. He was the central figure in finally breaking Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray's string of 100-yard games and rates as one of Pro Football Focus' best run-stoppers at defensive tackle.

Wells hasn't had the same type of success and has struggled for most of the season, particularly in run blocking situations. He didn't play in the Rams' blowout loss to Arizona last year but he'll need to be on top of his game if the Rams are to get anything going in the run game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we were flies on the wall in the AZ coaching offices I'm betting their primary concerns are:

DT Donald vs AZ OL. Do they have an answer for him? Unlikely. Palmer is going to have a steady diet of short passes, screens, draws ready but it might not matter. If Donald gets consistent penetration where will Palmer go? Huge concern for them.

Rams CBs vs AZ WRs. This is an enormous matchup that will dictate the game's outcome because of the inevitable nature of the AZ gameplan. They are going to have to win early and often for consistent offense, and can the Rams' young CBs Gaines and Joyner rise to the challenge?

Pressure on Davis. If Davis has time he is going to riddle their secondary. Fish can say what he wants but the reality is the AZ defense can be had through the air. Davis is very good at getting through his reads and spreading the ball around. Will he have time vs the defense that blitzes the most in this league so he won't force throws and make the type of INT mistakes he has shown a propensity for?

Strangely... I am confident with all three of those. Where I think the Rams are outclassed potentially is special teams, particularly if Peterson is returning punts. Hekker will need to be on his game with his placement.

azcards

UDFA
Strangely... I am confident with all three of those. Where I think the Rams are outclassed potentially is special teams, particularly if Peterson is returning punts. Hekker will need to be on his game with his placement.

Peterson doesn't return punts anymore. It's Ted Ginn Jr now, he's doing OK, but nothing to write home about.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Peterson doesn't return punts anymore. It's Ted Ginn Jr now, he's doing OK, but nothing to write home about.

If there is no chance they stick Peterson in there for punts, I'm a happy fan. Thanks.

azcards

UDFA
If there is no chance they stick Peterson in there for punts, I'm a happy fan. Thanks.

Yep no chance of it. In fact I'd bet if Ginn were injured they'd still put someone else in over Peterson.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm not sure I agree here, Cunningham has been doing Really well for us in the return game.