Rams camp preview: Who steps up at OLB opposite Leonard Floyd?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams camp preview: Who steps up at OLB opposite Leonard Floyd?​

Edge defenders are so important in the NFL, given the way they can impact the game against the run and as pass rushers. The Rams found a good one in Leonard Floyd, who they signed last offseason, but they lost Samson Ebukam in free agency and don’t have a clear-cut starter on the other side of Floyd.

Training camp will help sort things out, but there’s only one true lock at this position, with the other players jockeying for position before cuts happen. Here’s a preview of the outside linebackers, looking at who could start alongside Floyd this season.

LOCKS
  • Leonard Floyd
Floyd is just about as safe as anyone on the entire roster. He just signed a four-year deal worth $64 million, so the Rams certainly aren’t going to cut him. And considering how thin on talent they are at outside linebacker, there’s absolutely no reason he won’t be a starter.

He’s the best edge rusher on the team and established himself as a well-rounded defender last season with the Rams. Floyd will be a big part of the defense this year and should play the majority of the defensive snaps.

LIKELY TO MAKE IT
  • Justin Hollins
  • Terrell Lewis
  • Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
I’m not confident enough in any of these players to put them in the “locks” category. They all should make the team and will likely play key roles at outside linebacker, but none of them are certain to make the 53-man roster. Hollins has a good chance to start, as does Lewis if he can stay healthy.

Okoronkwo is likely to be more of a situational pass rusher, given his smaller size and lack of consistency against the run. Lewis has the potential to be a Floyd-type defender on the edge, but he must stay healthy and hold off the Rams’ other pass rushers.

ON THE BUBBLE
  • Chris Garrett
  • Justin Lawler
Garrett is an undrafted rookie, while Lawler has stuck around since 2018 after being a seventh-round pick that year. Garrett has more upside, but Lawler knows the defense and is more experienced.

It could come down to the Rams keeping just one of these defenders and it might be whichever one plays better in camp and the preseason. In all likelihood, Garrett will spend a year on the practice squad, which could open the door for Lawler once again.

He has a steep learning curve coming from Division II, so he may not be ready for the NFL just yet.

LONG SHOTS
  • Max Roberts
  • John Daka
The Rams claimed Daka off waivers from the Jets this May, adding another pass rusher to the mix. Roberts was an undrafted rookie out of Boston College, but he has some potential.

Both players will need to really stand out in camp if they’re going to make the 53-man roster, but that still may not be enough because Lewis, Hollins and Okoronkwo are all likely to make the roster anyway.

If Los Angeles is afraid of Daka or Roberts being claimed off waivers, they could opt to keep one of them initially when final cuts are made.

PROJECTED DEPTH CHART
  • Starters: Floyd and Hollins
  • Backups: Lewis, Okoronkwo and Garrett
Floyd is going to be a starter, but it remains to be seen who lines up on the other side of him at outside linebacker. Hollins seems like the best choice, with Lewis and Okoronkwo also pushing for playing time.

If healthy, Lewis has a great combination of size and explosiveness to be an NFL starter, but he has to remain on the field – which has been troublesome for him in college and the NFL.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IF Terrell Lewis does not win the starting job, the only reason could be that he's not healthy. Therefore, it might be time to cut him.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regarding Lewis, we have to hope that this the year he’s got his health in track. Being a career back up with starter potential typically snuffs out a career IMO

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm going to stick with my notion that even if Terrell Lewis is only healthy for half the games, during those games, his production PER SNAP was pretty damn good.

A healthy guy, who is not as talented, is not that helpful overall.

If they keep 5 players who play outside linebacker?

Lewis deserves another chance to prove he can GET healthy and BE healthy because he's very productive when he IS healthy.

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Lewis deserves another chance to prove he can GET healthy and BE healthy because he's very productive when he IS healthy.
Absolutely. He's going into his 2nd season, it's too early to give up on him. If he's still in this position next year then it's time to think about moving on.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Lewis’ career has probably hit a fork in the road already.

It comes down to his health, pure and simple. Fingers crossed for the kid.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think Lewis would have to have a very serious injury in camp for them to cut him.

You don't invest a third in a guy just to give him 1 productive year because he was partially injured similarly to where he was in college.

It's all about production per snap.

I think Okoronkwo is more on the bubble that Lewis is.

Even when he has been healthy he has not produced as much as Terrell Lewis.

And no, I am not Lewis's agent.

Ram65

Legend
I would like more information on Lewis' health problems before kicking him to the curb.

I'm going to stick with my notion that even if Terrell Lewis is only healthy for half the games, during those games, his production PER SNAP was pretty damn good.
+1 he has a lot of talent.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think Oko has the best talent level of the bunch so would hope he emerges a bit. None of them are great pass rushers so overall he brings the most for that blindside. Hollins is surprisingly athletic but he doesn't have natural edge juice. So I expect we'll see a rotation of Oko & Hollins which tbh is gonna be mediocre as F.

I also expect Garrett to make the roster. He played at a lower level of competition but of all these guys he's got some really nice rush instincts and the guy doesn't quit he's relentless. IMO that's gonna win him a roster spot. I just hope down the road he can grow into something for us.

Lewis is like a lottery ticket I suppose. But I discount him until I see the guy at least manage to practice and shit without needing big chunks of time off for that knee. Chances are IMO we'll see an injury settlement/cut with him and he'll be gone this year but as always hope he proves me wrong.

Ram65

Legend
Justin Hollins-He was good but, he could get better. He needs to react faster and be more physical.

Terrell Lewis-Have to give him a chance. If he could be healthy at the end of the season he could be a difference-maker in the playoffs.

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo-He gives effort but, needs to show a little more.

Justin Lawler-I would like to see how he has recovered. IIRC he was looking good last camp before the foot injury. He doesn't have great physical talent but, makes some plays.

Chris Garrett-He has a lot of potential. Might be the next Leonard Little. Quick burst and strong hands. Rams will protect him. He could even make the team.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdoVK5NqQrA

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I really like Hollins. But, Lewis should win IMO. He has all the skill in the world. But Hollins isn't going to make it easy for him.