Rams Camp Live: Tuesday (recording posted) First day in pads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

they got the mic feed right today.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Much, much better today. A good watch, listen.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnson is gonna be a mid season trade if we're not in the hunt by October. Fuller and Burgess sound like gems.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I can't imagine Boom & Corbett being our LG and RG tandem when the dust settles... But IF that were to happen it means Edwards got beat out, which is good for the state of the line.

Enjoyed them discussing Rapp and the safeties vs the ILB group and whether we might see a ton of 3-3-5 type looks and I think it's not only possible but likely. Just compare Rapp vs some of our ILBs and ask yourself what the dropoff would be in run fills and dropping into coverage. Not very much. So yeah I think that's gonna happen and you can call it Rapp being a nickelbacker or just an extra safety but either way he's going to play a lot of run support this year with the deep ranging type safeties they've added on the back end.

Agree with Demarco on the RB group too. I think Akers will be the bell cow sooner or later, he's just got that all around game you want there. But I also think Hendy is going to step up here in year two. And those two guys are both threats in the passing game.

Oh and btw Boom looks like he's put on a lot of weight which is a good thing. Allen's ass looks almost Demarco sized too, so he probably put on some as well. And Havenstein actually looks slim which is surprising, hope that is a sign of him kicking some serious ass this year.

Sucks we can't see the hitting though. Ah well hopefully we'll get some good twitter highlights.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams Training camp, Day 1: Jared Goff spins it

Eric D. Williams

A recap of Tuesday’s practice at Rams training camp:

PLAYER OF THE DAY

Reporters got their first chance to see all the work Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff has been putting in on display in his team’s first fully padded practice.

Goff shined. He showed good accuracy and anticipation in the pocket and on the run. And if he didn’t have anything, Goff pulled the ball down and scrambled for big gains.

Head coach Sean McVay also said he liked how his starting quarterback got his team quickly in and out of the huddle. The only hiccup for Goff was an interception by rookie safety Terrell Burgess on a deep ball.

“He made completions, made good decisions and took what the defense gave him consistently,” McVay said. “I thought we got in and out of the huddle the right way. It was on track for doing things with the standards that we have set, and I thought it started with his performance today.”

PLAY OF THE DAY

There were a handful to chose from, but we will go with Darious Williams’ interception of John Wolford on a deep ball intended for Trishton Jackson.

Williams’ pick was the first of back-to-back interceptions by the Rams’ defense, with the second one the Burgess takeaway.
At this point of the season to see the secondary as on point as they are is definitely a good sight,” defensive lineman Michael Brockers said.

Rookie Van Jefferson also was impressive on Tuesday, running polished routes and creating consistent separation during 1-on-1 drills. Jefferson also caught a nice deep ball for a touchdown from Wolford behind Williams.

MATCHUP OF THE DAY

Rookie Cam Akers squared up with Pro Bowl cornerback Jalen Ramsey after a decent gain, and the two Florida State products had a big collision along the sideline.

Both Akers and Ramsey playfully talked smack as the two made their way back to the huddle. Akers looked the part during practice. He showed that he’s a natural hands catcher in individual route running drills and also displayed good patience, with an ability to burst through the hole once he found a seam in the defense. Akers, Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson Jr. all got reps with the starters during team drills.

ROLL CALL

McVay said second-year safety Taylor Rapp has a knee issue that kept him out of practice on Tuesday, but he feels good about the University of Washington product being on the right track to getting out on the field soon.

McVay also said outside linebacker Justin Lawler got his foot stepped on and is being evaluated.

Brockers said a high ankle injury he suffered last year is good to go, and he’s able to go full speed. Defensive tackle A’Shawn Robinson, on reserve/non-football injury list with an undisclosed health issue, was at practice watching today with his position group.

The five offensive lineman working with the starters included Andrew Whitworth at left tackle, Joe Noteboom at left guard, Austin Blythe at center, Austin Corbett at right guard and Rob Havenstein at right tackle.

YOU DON’T SAY

“I just wanted to make sure that I didn’t come off as a total tool, with my shirt off at my house in the pool” – McShay, when asked about what he thought about his first appearance on “Hard Knocks.”

MachS

Hall of Fame
Well I can't imagine Boom & Corbett being our LG and RG tandem when the dust settles... But IF that were to happen it means Edwards got beat out, which is good for the state of the line.

If Boom beats Edwards out and starts at guard, we all better start praying now that Goff stays healthy this year. We've seen enough of him on the interior and that would show that Edwards has regressed a TON getting beat out by a rehabbing Noteboom after what we saw last year.

Not sure why Kromer insists on giving him snaps at guard. 2 years of this now and we saw how he performed last year. He should be getting ready to bakckup a T in case of injury and giving the interior snaps to someone else IMO.

Goff seems to have been committed this off-season and was sharp day 1. We know Akers is going to be a stud, Van Jefferson already flashing too. The defense is going to be stacked this year, especially the secondary. Sure hope we get the line figured out this year but my god Boom at guard again please no!! :zany:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Boom beats Edwards out and starts at guard, we all better start praying now that Goff stays healthy this year. We've seen enough of him on the interior and that would show that Edwards has regressed a TON getting beat out by a rehabbing Noteboom after what we saw last year.

Not sure why Kromer insists on giving him snaps at guard. 2 years of this now and we saw how he performed last year. He should be getting ready to bakckup a T in case of injury and giving the interior snaps to someone else IMO.

Goff seems to have been committed this off-season and was sharp day 1. We know Akers is going to be a stud, Van Jefferson already flashing too. The defense is going to be stacked this year, especially the secondary. Sure hope we get the line figured out this year but my god Boom at guard again please no!! :zany:
Yeah I don't think there's a universe where either of those guys are better than Edwards. And I don't want to get all crazy reading into one lineup for the first padded practice of the camp. Kromer letting guys like Edwards know that nothing will be given is not a bad thing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I don't think there's a universe where either of those guys are better than Edwards. And I don't want to get all crazy reading into one lineup for the first padded practice of the camp. Kromer letting guys like Edwards know that nothing will be given is not a bad thing.

Whatever universe we are in today is as good of a guess as anyone’s.

The way I see it is The Rams have some excellent depth.Corbett seems to be a steal for a 5th rd pick.Switching to RG is sort of shocking,but amazed Noteboom is already in the starting lineup. Was 1,000% wrong on that one.

Ram65

Legend
The change in the offensive line was a puzzling surprise. Stay tuned.......

Both Akers and Ramsey playfully talked smack as the two made their way back to the huddle. Akers looked the part during practice. He showed that he’s a natural hands catcher in individual route running drills and also displayed good patience, with an ability to burst through the hole once he found a seam in the defense.

Rookie Van Jefferson also was impressive on Tuesday, running polished routes and creating consistent separation during 1-on-1 drills. Jefferson also caught a nice deep ball for a touchdown from Wolford behind Williams.

Both very good reports on the rookies!

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Enjoyed them discussing Rapp and the safeties vs the ILB group and whether we might see a ton of 3-3-5 type looks and I think it's not only possible but likely. Just compare Rapp vs some of our ILBs and ask yourself what the dropoff would be in run fills and dropping into coverage. Not very much. So yeah I think that's gonna happen and you can call it Rapp being a nickelbacker or just an extra safety but either way he's going to play a lot of run support this year with the deep ranging type safeties they've added on the back end.
I don't know....I like size at the LB position, especially against the 9ers run game. Rapp can make an open field tackles but I don't see him shedding blocks, taking on guards/TEs/FBs in the 9ers jumbo sets. We need size to stop their push and I see us running a lot of base against them.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Well Noteboom is the future and he needs reps. We pretty much know what we have with Edwards...maybe it's just cross-training and seeing if there is better combo out there. Who knows, Boom could be better with Blythe next to him instead of Allen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah... something about Van Jefferson... feels like a surprise rookie.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't believe Noteboom is ready for physical contact. It just seems way too early. Not sure what the strategy is here, but I highly doubt he is ahead of Edwards. And it is wonderful to hear glowing reports of Van Jefferson already!! The Rams offense will be fine this year.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Van is what I think he is, I don't know that many teams have the DBs to cover both him and Kupp when they are on the field together.